Good News, More Good News

Lots to talk about on this off-day, but I wanted to start the morning on a happier note.

First, Thomas Boswell will chat at 2 p.m. today.

More good news: Our own Lena Sun reports that the District has done an about-face on its earlier decision not to subsidize keeping Metro running when the Nats go extra innings or are delayed by rain, as happened Monday night. Read all about it.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 23, 2009; 8:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals Close Out Home Stand With 1-0 Loss
Next: The Minor League Report Returns

Comments

Methinks that the Metro situation may generate some controversy.

Also, if the chat time is 2 and not 11, you'll need to change the schedule info on the page you linked to.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

F1rst

Posted by: Lipty | April 23, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Chat IS 2 p.m. I'll ask the page be fixed. (We scheduled and rescheduled it yesterday a bunch of times so he and Jason La Canfora wouldn't overlap.)

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | April 23, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the time confirmation, Tracee.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the eagle eye, 1a1!

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | April 23, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

On a non-Nats note, this Tiant documentary sounds good. Not sure when/whether it will come to our area.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

So, speaking of good news ... having won the first two games sure made last night's loss a LOT less painful than it would have been. My reaction has shifted along the spectrum -- a bit further from "Cripes, there they go again" and more toward "Dang, can't win 'em all."

There's still more room to travel further along that spectrum, lest anyone misunderstand me.

Posted by: Scooter_ | April 23, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

How funny is it when the "first" posters get 1st'd. One of the more annoying trends in blog comments.

As frustrating as the Nats offense was last night, it's hard to be too down on them right now. The starting pitching is on a nice little hot streak. If this keeps up, the offense won't need to mash the ball every night to keep them in ballgames. And just think how much fun this could be when both sides start executing in tandem? You can almost smell the respectability.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | April 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Plus, we won a series!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

14 games into the season, the Overachieving 2007 Washington Nationals were 4-10. 2009 Washington Nationals are 2-12. For the 2007 Nationals, it was only April 17 and they would go on to win only 5 more games, to finish April 9-17. There are 7 more April games for the 2009 Nationals.

The 2007 Nationals only got 5 or more runs in 6 out of 26 games in the month of April, 3 of those in the first 14 games. The 2009 Nationals got 5 or more runs in 6 of these first 14 games. The 2007 Nationals gave up 5 or more in 8 of their first 14. The 2009 Nationals have done it 9 times, including every game against the Marlins, but one.

Posted by: Section506 | April 23, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

So now its off to New York. The Mets have been struggling a bit as of late also. Hopefully the Nats can rebound up there. With the starting pitching looking major league again, they should be in every game. You have to credit the Atlanta pitcher last night as he was throwing great with first pitch strikes the majority of the time. Lets face it, they're paid to win also. The Nats are a lot better than the w-l record would indicate.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"2009 Washington Nationals are 2-12"

Actually, MLB gave us credit for that game we won 4-3 (understandably, you probably chalked that up as a loss after the Braves had second and third with no one out). So it's 3-11.

Posted by: joebleux | April 23, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

At least Screech isn't this distracting...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 23, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

*Note, I mistakenly referred to the record as 2-12 above, it's 3-11.

More comparison

2007 Nationals Team Batting over 14 Games

.232/.314/.338, 40 R, 24 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 37 RBI, 50 BB, 88 SO, 9 GIDP, 115 LOB

2009 Nationals in the same time period

.265/.352/.393, 65 R, 21 2B, 1 3B, 12 HR, 59 RBI, 63 BB, 128 SO, 10 GIDP, 126 LOB

2007 Nationals Combined Pitching

4.83 ERA, 124 H, 73 R, 66 ER, 67 BB, 80 SO, 13 HR

2009 Nationals

5.63 ERA, 133 H, 81 R, 74 ER, 58 BB, 82 SO, 18 HR

Of course, those pitching numbers are almost meaningless, since 1) I can't break out the bullpens (by which I mean I don't want to take the time) and 2) about half the pitchers for the first 12 games of 2009 are now gone.

Posted by: Section506 | April 23, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha, well said joebleux.

Posted by: Section506 | April 23, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

All Things COnsidered on NPR had a good story on the Luis Tiant documentary last night. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103377025

Posted by: ramgut | April 23, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"2009 Washington Nationals are 2-12."

Once again, I guess the Washington Post is wrong. They have the Nats at 3-11. (And hey, do you realize that if MLB had that stupid NHL rule about overtime losses counting for half a win, the Nats would be 3-8-3 right now?)

Posted by: nunof1 | April 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the comparisons, 506.

Speaking of distractions, what's up with Screech dancing around in the seats behind home plate when our reliever was hurling? I guess that someone finally told the bird to knock it off as he disappeared from the picture after a bit.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Good God, what has this place become? I made a simple mental error and I'm public enemy number one. Have we gotten so bad that no one can make a mistake anymore?

Posted by: Section506 | April 23, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

1a, yeah, I noticed that. I was thinking at the time: if I were sitting in those seats, I would have told Screech that if he didn't scam pronto, SportsCenter would be leading off with a mascot beating that night.

Posted by: joebleux | April 23, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

506, don't let the criticism get you down. Great comparisons.

I think our boys can turn the corner. As Zimm said in the paper yesterday, we're having a rough April, but there will also be months when we go 20-10. All isn't lost. We're still less that 10% into the season.

Bullpen: Get it together, and we can start winning some ballgames!

Posted by: usmc53 | April 23, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree; 506 - thanks for the statwork. Lots of pretty good things in those numbers, but look at the increase of 40 in strikeouts. That's huge! It could be all Milledge and Dunn, but I don't think so.

Posted by: macman3 | April 23, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

macman3, the biggest K offenders to date this season are:

1 - Flores (16)
2 - Dukes (13)
2 - Zimmerman (13)
4 - Dunn (11)
5 - Johnson (10)
5 - Milledge (10)

For what it's worth, Milledge accumulated his double digits in half the time of everyone else (7 games). That being said, Dunn and Zimmmerman have played 14 games (about a K/game for them), Johnson, Flores and Dukes have played in 13 games.

Posted by: faNATic | April 23, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

You know things are bad when comparisons to a 73-win team are pointed to as reason for optimism. Good grief.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 23, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but look at the increase of 13 in BB. Think of all the extra pitches the 2009 club is seeing.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 23, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Point taken, CiL. But 73 wins would be an improvement of nearly 24% over last year.

I guess when you've hit rock-bottom, even mediocrity is an achievement.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 23, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

On the Metro snafu:

Klein "made a decision that wasn't informed by the history of our agreement with Metro on this issue," said Albert, who is also a member of the Metro board.

Is that Metroese for saying "E-Klein?"

Hey, Metro, try English (but thanks for saving me $40 cab fare in case the club decides to have any more "mist delays" next time.)

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 23, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Joe DiMaggio only struck out 13 times in the entire 1941 season (the year of his 56-game hitting streak), in 541 At Bats.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 23, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Consider the source, 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

In looking at previous comments, I see that we weren't the only ones who commented on the Screech distraction. Oh well, it bears repeating anyway.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | April 23, 2009 10:31 AM |
---------------------------------------------

Ohh yah. You betcha.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

To be honest, I wasn't aware that Metro was staying open for extra inning games. If I'd known that, I would have gone to Monday's game. This should get more publicity.

Posted by: fischy | April 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It seems that it's becoming less important to being a season ticket holder and this Metro problem hads up to the problems of the Nats. First I pay $8,900 for club level seats and go to about 35 games a year. Last year I had three others take the bulk of the other tickets and was only stuck with three games that I either didn't go to or couldn't find a buyer for.

This year is much different. Because of the bad economy and a very bad team those three folks decided not to go in with me. Two of them cited that they were able to find just as great of a ticket to every game but with cheaper prices on Stubhub and are just buying tickets at the last minute. So to keep my seats I downgraded to cheaper Club level seats and was able to find one person take 18 games off of me.

But with the bullpen being so bad and now this unreliable Metro problem, my seats are becoming worthless. Has anyone been on Stuhub the day of game? Seats are so cheap, my $45 seats go for $25. You can buy $150 diamond club seats for $50. It's a joke and the Washington Nationals are doing nothing.

They are getting retreads from the minor's and now they can't make us comfortable knowing that when a game is finished late, Metro will stay open late.

Sorry Nats but there is a reason that you guys are having a fan revolt and why you have about 6,000 less season ticket holders this year, your product is going down the toilet.

Please get better.

Posted by: Golfersal | April 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Oh as a postscript to what I wrote above, in the first homestand of the year I had to eat three tickets, couldn't even get $30 for them on Stubhub. So things don't look very promising already

Posted by: Golfersal | April 23, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Pardon my confusion, but are you a ticket broker or do you purchase tickets with the intent of watching your team play?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Not to be rude to natsfan1a1, but I am a very big fan. But with a family and living in Leesburg, it's impossible to get to more than 35-40 games a year and I have to think about how to make this affordable. In the first three years, I had the same seats behind home plate in the second tier, the same as club level now but the difference at RFK they were $18 a ticket or $2,800 for the year. That was affordable, now the tickets are double and not affordable so yes I have to be a ticket broker to try and no spend so much money.
Make the tickets affordable for fans for good tickets, (yes you will say that I could go upstairs in noise bleed territory for $20 but the seats aren't great view) and then we could buy them and not have to worry about not wasting seats. I was able to afford $36 a night at RFK, Can't afford to waste $90 a night.

Posted by: Golfersal | April 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough, golfer. Thanks for your response.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

An addendum, as a mostly upper deck denizen, my opinion is that the views from the Nats Park decks are an improvement over those at RFK. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

section 309 has a great view even though the walk up is a hike

also feel the price is fair, just wish they would not run out of the premium drafts before the 2nd inning

Posted by: sjm3091 | April 23, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Screech may have screwed up in the top 9th, but in general whoever is in costume does a very good job!

Posted by: NatsFan09 | April 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse