Guzman Placed On 15-Day DL

After tonight's game, a 3-2 extra inning loss, the Nationals placed shortstop Cristian Guzman on the 15-day disabled list because of his strained left hamstring. The move is retroactive to April 14. Washington is expected to add shortstop Alex Cintron to its 40-man roster and recall him from Class AAA Syracuse in time for tomorrow's game.

Originally, the Nationals had hoped that Guzman could recover from his hamstring injury by the end of the weekend. But the Nationals decided to use caution, especially when Guzman reported today that his hamstring still felt stiff.

"He's making a lot of progress, but right now he's not 100 percent," Manager Manny Acta said. "It's too early in the year, and we don't want to take a chance on making it worse."

So long as Guzman is out, Washington will continue to rely heavily on Alberto Gonzalez. Though Gonzalez made the last out of tonight's game, he also went 3-for-5.

By Chico Harlan  |  April 17, 2009; 11:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Night So Far, In A Few Sentences
Next: Some Light Morning Reading

Comments

Be back by Labor Day?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

What Guzman on the DL cut it out. What a shocker.

Posted by: rskinz34 | April 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

rskinz34: Save some of that negativity for your analysis of the Skins' draft picks, you'll need it.

Posted by: kfisher32 | April 18, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Acta will be gone before he gets back off the DL. The final nail. So it ain't all bad.

Posted by: Brue | April 18, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I can't say that I agree with those of you calling for a Willingham bunt last night in the 10th. You have a very good hitter up with weaker hitters to follow. Your best chance to tie the game is to have him swing away. That is the "basic baseball strategy". Willingham took the proper approach which was to try and hit the ball to RF to increase the chances of a productive out. Unfortunately he didn't quite hit it far enough. Please remember what happened after Willingham - K by Flores, K by Gonzales. A bunt would not have helped.

Flores is really helpless against good RHPs. He gets completely locked up. He's not an everyday player on a good team - maybe a platoon guy against LHP.

I was at the game last night and was immensely frustrated leaving the park, but poor strategy was not the problem. At least I got a foul ball (my first ever) and had fun with my daughter, my good friend, and his son. Losing stinks, but a MLB game on a beautiful evening with the company of people you enjoy still beats just about anything else.

#4

Posted by: db423 | April 18, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Last night's game sucked! I knew everytime we were not getting an insurance run, it would come back and bite us in the ninth inning. What a great game by Lannan wasted! The one time we get really good starting pitching we can only score 2 runs, what a common theme for Lannan, no run support. Hanrahan should buy Lannan dinner for blowing his great game!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 18, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Section 506,
Congratulations. Marry your RHCFGF before she regains her senses. From time to time I have to remind my bride of 39 years that I am not responsible for her poor taste in men and her one questionable decision in an otherwise exemplary life.

db423,
I agree, it was a beautiful night to watch a good game. I was also frustrated by the loss but that is the sport we love.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | April 18, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"Did the balls and strikes look as terrible on TV as they did at the game? "

Yes indeed they did.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 18, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

>"Did the balls and strikes look as terrible on TV as they did at the game? "

Yes indeed they did.

I was in the upper deck and I could tell most of them were a foot outside.

Posted by: Brue | April 18, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

This afternoon will not be easy, Johnson looks untouchable while Olsen looks like a batting practice pitcher after two starts, as my late father used to say "he ain't got nothin on the ball but the cover" Please explain to me how you pull a hamstring if you've been working out during the offseason am i being unreasonable to think todays players should be in shape when the season starts.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse