Guzman Reinstated; Gonzalez to Syracuse

Sorry, ran out of a meeting to get this posted. This is the release from the Nats:

The Washington Nationals today reinstated infielder Cristian Guzman from the 15-Day Disabled List and optioned infielder Alberto Gonzalez to Syracuse of the Triple-A International League. Nationals Assistant General Manager and Vice President of Baseball Operations Mike Rizzo made the announcement.
Guzman missed the last 12 games after being placed on the DL with a left hamstring strain on April 14. At the time of his injury, his .515 (17-for-33) batting average and 17 hits led the NL, and his eight runs scored ranked second on the circuit. The 31-year-old has hit safely in all seven games played this season thanks in large part to six multi-hit efforts. He also has two doubles, four RBI and a stolen base this season.
Gonzalez started 11 of 12 games in Guzman's absence. The 26-year-old hit .271 (13-for-48) with three doubles, one home run, five RBI and a stolen base in 15 games with the Nationals.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 29, 2009; 11:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Morning Reading
Next: Nats Trade For RHP Kensing

Comments

Interesting how the official press release omits fielding.

Posted by: ramgut | April 29, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The best thing that can be said about this stiff is that he is only the second worst Alberto Gonzalez to inhabit Washington in the past 10 years.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 29, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone read the article about Jim Bowden in the Washington Times. That guy just doesn't get it. No wonder nobody wanted to deal with him. What a schmuck!!

Posted by: natsguy | April 29, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 29, 2009 12:06 PM
________________________________________________________

Far left humor...not exactly priceless.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 29, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

On the defensive discussion from the last thread: It's been bad. The team's defensive efficiency (rate of turning batted balls in play into outs) is 14th in the NL.

Posted by: JhonnyBheGhood | April 29, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Section505203, always torturing us with his insightful take on life. Not unlike his hero Alberto.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

JhonnyBheGhood: That's overstating the obvious. But besides the errors of commission, there's the errors of omission. Have you ever noticed just throwing balls in from the outfield, how many loose balls and overthrows there are? Opposing teams are always taking the extra base, or trying to. Why not? I think we've thrown out two players all season. Stolen bases are just a given by now. Dunn, it appears, could not hit the ocean throwing the ball off the Queen Mary. Dukes is just as bad. I pray that balls hit to Zimm at third will be either hard hit because, obviously, he has Chuck Knoblauch disease on the soft-toss routine throws. It's quite something that we welcome Goozie back because of his glove. Just think about that!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, nunof1, for coming to my defense. Just because I think upholding the Constitution should be in the job description of, say, the U.S. Attorney General, this guy Section503203 thinks I am a left wing far-left whack job. Well, I am a left wing far-left whack job. But I don't need him to tell me that. I was just trying for a little mid-day snark.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | April 29, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It might have been funny to sprinkle in a half-dozen typos into the press release. Readers could then draw their own conclusions.

Posted by: wigi | April 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

jdschulz50, you gotta learn that only certain people are allowed to do snark on this blog, and we ain't among them.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"But besides the errors of commission, there's the errors of omission."

Yup. I had to laugh when Carpenter made a point of mentioning that there had been no errors in the prior game -- that was the game where Dunn and Kearns both misplayed fly balls up against the wall, and Zim and Gonzalez let a pop-up drop between them. No recorded "errors", but certainly substandard defensive play.

Posted by: joebleux | April 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"this guy Section503203 thinks I am a left wing far-left whack job. Well, I am a left wing far-left whack job."
__________________________________________________________

Thanks for confirming what I already knew, obviously.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey, nunof/abm/dccapsfan/spamcastin, etc.

Why don't you give us some more insightful analysis of how poor you think the Nats defense is...jackass.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

So I saw the MASN Milledge Haiku ad the other day for the first time. I think it is my favorite one yet, it is absolutely fantastic for reasons that defy description. Here is the link for anyone who has not had the pleasure of watching it yet:

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 29, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"I had to laugh when Carpenter made a point of mentioning that there had been no errors in the prior game"

Carpenter's hilariously reflexive. He refers to Washington's ranking "in offense" by batting average, because that's what announcers did when he started out in the business. He recites the NL East scores with particular interest because he "should," but this team is so bad that he shouldn't expect that anyone would really care (there's no divisional race to be a part of). He couldn't think himself out of a paper bag.

Posted by: JhonnyBheGhood | April 29, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Stay classy, Section505203.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mx_heinrich | April 29, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Fellow bloggers&Nats Fans: Left a message of heartfelt congratulations from all of us to Frank Robinson at his new digs,the MLB offices in NY via his voice mail.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 29, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

That Milledge haiku MASN ad is clearly designed to appeal to people who think "You've Gotta Have Heart" should be the Nationals' seventh-inning-stretch song. I suppose such esoteric demographics must be served, but it doesn't stop me from laughing when they are.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

CiL: I don't get to see the MASN spots... thanks for the link. It was very funny, in that 'unintended consequences' sort of way.

Posted by: wigi | April 29, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a limit on how many Bards can be bagged off a single other team in one season?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Stay pompous nunof1.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 29, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll second the thanks for the haiku link. The haiku makes me wonder whether the fan might be an NJ denizen. I've seen most of the spots, but had missed that one and the one by Miss Chatter (due to refreshment or facilities breaks, I suppose).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Section502203

I wouldn't re-open HUAC just yet. It's hardly Marxist to compare those two guys. Or did I just not understand far-right humour.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sure thing wigi, you're welcome. So you email the MASN announcers during games but you don't get MASN? That was you, right? Wow, talk about dedication!

As for the Milledge spot, I just hope that MASN continues showing it for the rest of the season, even if Milledge is still down at Syracuse come July/August. It would remind me of how MASN kept running the Patterson and Nick ads a couple years ago even when they were both out for the season. "Whatcha gonna do, Albert Pujols?" Ummm.......

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

What the heck are you guys talking about? No, on second thought, don't tell me.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

To clarify, I was referring to the political back-and-forth there, not the commercials.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Soooo, any chats coming up, Tracee? How about some fun readings? Dave? Boz? Buehler? Anybody?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'll spare you the details 1a but, I don't know if NJ's favorite prince of bloviation and multiple monikers...nunof1 will.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

on a completely different note: FA target for next year.

figgins?

he could play 2B for us and lead off.

Posted by: sec231 | April 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Delayed reaction: Several days ago a few postings lamented Carpenter being too much of a downer for telling it like it is. I thought that was rather ironic since a little over a year ago a day would not pass without someone complaining about Carpetre being a homer. I hope they were different posters, but still, it just goes to show you can't please some of the people all of the time....

Posted by: natbiscuits | April 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"I've seen most of the spots, but had missed that one and the one by Miss Chatter (due to refreshment or facilities breaks, I suppose)."

Wow, you must take long and/or frequent breaks then. MASN usually runs those spots back-to-back several times each game. Apparently MASN's #1 advertiser is MASN itself. Maybe its only advertiser...

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 505/203.

natbiscuits, on a somewhat related note, I'm not a Frank hater, but in light of recent discussions I've had some idle thoughts that it might be interesting to revisit the NJ archives in search of some anti-Robinson tirades.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Man Section502203, why all the anger?

Chill...

Posted by: combedge | April 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Not really, nunof. I do often see MASN spots start up only to be interrupted by a different commercial."

That might be your cable/satellite provider jumping in there with its own commercials. Or if not, I'd like to see a shot of the MASN traffic guy caught off guard saying "Damn. Someone actually bought a commercial spot tonight!" (Peter Angelos in the background saying "Sucker!")

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Hadn't seen the haiku commercial before; now I'm sorry I have. Although...

I started out hating, *hating* the campaign. It's embarrassing, naive, trivializing, damning with faint praise because faint accomplishments is all we get, and just generally annoying.

But it occurred to me the other day, I'm not part of the target audience for those spots--they are meant for people who think seven strikeouts in a game is a lot, maybe close to a record; who don't know the difference between John Lannan and John Smoltz makes gloating about one game just an embarrassment; who see the game as casual fans, not as players or used-to-be players. People who aren't smug and elitist (with or without cause) about the game. No wonder I don't like them.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 29, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Turning back to the Nats' closer crisis, has Mike Rizzo thought of trying to trade for Red Sox phenom prospect closer Daniel Bard and perhaps a throw-in in exchange for maybe 1-2 of their surplus outfielders/infielders and a serviceable pitcher or two? I'd wager the Bosox would need to be overwhelmed with an offer to let go of Bard but, really, isn't he being blocked by Jonathan Papelbon anyway? The Bosox seem to have a surplus of young talent in their relief corps, precisely the area where the Nats have none.

Posted by: mx_heinrich | April 29, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse "
----------------------

Nice thinking about about high end closer prospects. D. Bard I don't think is on the block. Papelbon is getting expensive and not signed long term. They are likely to want to move him up later in the year, especially if Masterson ends up in the rotation. But a guy like Hunter Jones would cost less, is a lefty, and seems to be handling the majors well.

I don't see a great fit between the clubs. They have some catching prospects in the high minors, so I don't see a Montz as great bait. Perhaps later in the year, if Baldelli has problems and if Drew is on and off healthwise, I think Kearns may not be a bad fit. Also, NJ is their style, and if Lowell were to get hurt, you could see them offering something to rent NJ, probably better than Jones. I'm not too sure of their middle infield prospect above A ball.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | April 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

CiL: I see the MASN feed, but on MLB.TV. They take the commercials out... which is a shame, I would prefer to see a Ledo Pizza spot than the dead air. I saw some of the MASN spots when I was in town for the opening homestand (though I was at all the games while I was there)

Yes, it was me... and then Carpy corrected my name the next day... two mentions in two days!

As for being hardcore, ask my girlfriend. She has to wait until the games are over for me to pick her up from work.

Posted by: wigi | April 29, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure there IS a target audience for those MASN spots. After all, they never seem to air anywhere except on MASN, so people who see them are already watching MASN, right? They're basically filler made necessary by the fact that MASN has very few commercial sponsors of its own. If they were trying to build audience, they'd air them sometime other than during games - even if it meant airing the O's versions of the ads during Nats games and vice versa. (And yes, they do have O's versions of those ads, which are equally lame.)

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

So I agree with your assessment of the spots, nunof1, but the "Heart" crowd isn't esoteric--we are.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Running them during the games does have some point, for the casual fan--trying to give them a reason to watch the next game. Because the game they're watching probably doesn't.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 29, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

re Daniel Bard -- maybe we could get St. Louis to give up Brian Barden, too.

Posted by: CEvansJr | April 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't know if they run the ads during other timeslots, I'm never watching during other timeslots."

Chalk one up for the outstanding commercials they air for their other programming during Nats games.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

FYI -- This Tom Loverro article in the competition re Bowden (now a talk show host in LA) was pretty interesting:

Bowden says he the decision to take Strasburg has already been made and that he will be pitching for the Nats in September.

Posted by: Bob_L | April 29, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the rest of you, but as for me, when when the Nats are not on MASN, I'm either hanging out at Pimilico or eating at the Rusty Scupper.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | April 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

If you have not read Tom L article in the Times you should. Those of you who defended Jimbo for so long and those who defended the Lerners and Stan in the face of the Lerners are cheap crowd will get a real eye opener......It is no wonder this team is such a mess right now. Rizzo has so much work to do on this roster even I am going to cut Manny Acta a few months of slack.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 29, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

To answer an earlier question, Boz is chatting tomorrow at 11 a.m.; still awaiting a URL. He'll also be on "Washington Post Live" on Comcast at 5 p.m., and I'll post a video of that as soon afterward as possible.

Posted by: traceeh | April 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how so many people who claim that Bowden is nothing but a liar and a charlatan are willing to suspend that judgment any time he happens to say something that supports one of their other opinions, e.g. his comments about the Crow situation that people are now grasping on to defend their assertions that the Lerners are cheap. Is Bowden only a two-bit liar and circus clown part of the time? If so, how do you know when he's lying and when he's not?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Really, do you have to be "far-left" to make an Alberto Gonzalez joke? The guy was forced to resign. That's not exactly an indication of superior performance (see: Bowden, Jim).

Still, a better joke would have made use of the "I don't recall" line the former AG repeated in the hearings. Maybe something about how the guy seemingly couldn't recall how to make a routine throw to first.

But I guess it is Washington. If you don't have partisan rancor, what do you have?

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee

You never believed or trusted anything Jimbo said as GM, but now that he is spouting off at the mouth on some LA sports radio show you believe everything he says? Try standing behind your words

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | April 29, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Another Bard?

I knew it would be a good idea to hang on to my Shakespeare baseball quotes...

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The fixation on Pena last year got pretty funny as the season wore on, too.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 29, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Nats get Kensing from FL, Bergmann to Syracuse.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | April 29, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Nats get Kensing from FL, Bergmann to Syracuse."

Link, please?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 29, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Personally I am sick and tired of the Nats spots and am especially tired of the back to back spots. I'm sure that is because they don't have any other sponsors, but please give me something besides the self promotion of the network I'm already watching. Donate some air time to non-profits and charitable organizations. It's 162 game season, 9 innings, pleeease ....

Posted by: natbiscuits | April 29, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

They had just DFA'd him on Sunday after he gave up runs in four of six games.

He makes $660,000 this year.

If it's true, I don't think it helps much. Momentum for the sake of momentum? I guess Bergmann loses out because he has options.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 29, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann goes to 'Cuse, and Hanrahan and Hinckley stay in the bigs??

I don't get it. Even if Hinckley is our only lefty, he either hits guys, walks them home, or has balls hit hard every time he goes out there.

What does Bergmann have to do to keep his slot with the big club?

Posted by: usmc53 | April 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Kensing trade...

Posted by: ramgut | April 29, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I am just pointing out what a tool Jimbo was ans still is......What he says is true....who knows?

Posted by: JayBeee | April 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I wondered whether that might be the case with my cable provider, nunof. The alternative scenario is funny, though.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 29, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natbiscuits | April 29, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

Great suggestion! Seriously...

Posted by: combedge | April 29, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Manny would lose with a good team. He has been a terrible manager, has made terrible decisions and has not improved this team 1 game by his managing. He's the Ed Tapscott of baseball. Enough is enough.

Posted by: dovelevine | April 29, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse