Opening Day Reading

Happy Opening Day, everyone. I know there will some tapping toes throughout NJ land until 3 p.m. so here are some suggestions to keep you occupied.

If I mentioned this already, I apologize, but I don't think I have. Fellow Postie Jacqueline Dupree has built this amazing website devoted to the area around Nationals Park. Most amazing is that this is Jacqueline's hobby; she does it in her "spare time." Please check it out.

Looks like Tim Redding will be used in relief when he comes back because Livan Hernandez has nailed down that No. 5 spot.

This guy from Philly doesn't think much of the Nats and their fans, and our columnist, for that matter.

Fellow chatter Cheryl Nichols, on natsnetwork.com, has a nice where-are-they-now? rundown of the 2005 Nats.

David Steele of the Baltimore Sun says the Nats aren't holding up their end of the Mid-Atlantic rivalry thing. Be nice; his sister sits across from me and she's good people.

This is a little ridiculous, even for Cubs fans.

David Murphy says on the High Cheese that the Phillies might have Lou Marson catch Jamie Moyer today. That would be his first big league start. Marson's, not Moyer's. Moyer was on one of my first rotisserie teams, which makes both of us old as dirt.

The P-Nats lost Sunday to Lynchburg. Hagerstown lost to Lake County, 2-0. Harrisburg did not play. Syracuse lost, 8-4, to Rochester; the Chiefs play Lehigh Valley this afternoon.

Ken Rosenthal has a nice piece about the Angels' handling of the Nick Adenhart tragedy.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 13, 2009; 11:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baseball Is Back At Nats Park
Next: Opening Day Lineups

Comments

I'm sad I even gave the Philly guy (third link) a click when I read the column. Don't bother, it's exactly what you would expect. So stupid it's not even worth the read.

Posted by: bryc3 | April 13, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Puhlease! If Philly had the Nats and 59 wins last year, the city would have imploded.

Posted by: dclifer | April 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

With Tracee's permission, I offer as evidence to my previous post -

"This is a little ridiculous, even for Cubs fans."

Posted by: lowcountry | April 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to find something that says Jabba the Hut's less pleasant and tolerant, brother isn't throwing out the first pitch!

Nova_g_man, please confirm you were joking or where you got this information. Please.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 13, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

It's Obama.
Shhh! If you don't tell anyone and show up at game time, then it won't take an hour to get through security. The onyl problem is Stan can't sell as many tickets that way.

Posted by: dclifer | April 13, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

If there is poetic justice the Phillies will be swept and he will cry in his beer before shlepping back to Amtrak with his troll girlfriend.

Posted by: thom202 | April 13, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Anderson Hernandez is in today's starting lineup

Posted by: Brian_ | April 13, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

So is this the right time to complain about the season tickets? The opening day tickets are pretty nice - I think they are bulletproof. But the normal tickets do not, for the most part, have pictures of players, but instead of random "fans" and surly Nat Packers. Was this done because nobody in the front office had any idea who would be on the roster by June?

Posted by: kevinx | April 13, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of surly employees of the Nationals, what is it with the grounds crew? Those guys are d*cks. When people with tickets come to sit in their seats down on the front concourse, they grumble and moan like it is a nuisance to get up out of seats that fans paid for. And they talk loudly and crudely even when small children are around. Those guys p*ss me off.

Posted by: kevinx | April 13, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd be glad to give Philly, Stan Kasten. And the Lerners. And the columnist from Baltimore, what a lame piece of journalism. What part of the bargain have the Os held up? Come talk to us about this when the Os are anywhere other than the basement of the AL East. And don't the Os hold the record for most losses at the beginning of a season? The Nats won't come close to that record.

Posted by: Wallpass | April 13, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse