Thursday's Nats-Phillies Lineups

This is Zach Berman in Chico's place for tonight's 7:05 game between the Nationals and Phillies. The Nationals will try to win their first game of the season, and they will attempt it with a new-look lineup...

Phillies (4-3):

Dukes -- CF
Kearns -- RF
Flores -- C
Gonzalez -- SS
Martis -- RHP

By Zach Berman  |  April 16, 2009; 3:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Morning Reading Lite
Next: Nationals Take Lead, Guzman Watch Continues

Comments

Ah. "RHP."

Bless you, young man.

Posted by: Scooter_ | April 16, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Freddie Sanchez (PIT) just has a 17-pitch at-bat. Fly-out.

Posted by: dclifer | April 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Switch Zimmerman and Dukes and that's a lineup. Duke would benefit more than Zim with Dunn behind him because he has the discipline to wait for the pitcher to leave one over the plate, and with Dunn back there the pitcher won't want to walk Dukes. Also, Johnson,Dukes, Dunn all have .380+ OB potential; not exactly a murder's row, but certainly a pitcher's nightmare to see those three in a row. A lot of 25 pitch innings.

Posted by: Dogface13 | April 16, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Is there any word on Guzman or Belliard?

Posted by: natbiscuits | April 16, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see us get our first win tonight!
If anybody wants to join an awesome Washington Nationals community sign up at EXTREMENATS.COM great discussion and a very fun site!

Posted by: ExtremeNatscom | April 16, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Or Dmitri!?

Posted by: nattaboy | April 16, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Or Shawn Hill? What? Oh. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 16, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm wrong a lot so hopefully I'm wrong again but I predict Guzman will be placed on the DL soon.

Posted by: charlie814 | April 16, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

They'll wait about 5 more days before deciding to put Guzman on the DL.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 16, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Well Rick, that is what we do.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 16, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I like the rationale for switching Dukes and Zimmerman. I am so impressed with Dukes plate discipline - most of the time.

Posted by: kevinx | April 16, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

20,487

Posted by: 6thandD | April 16, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Guzman may be ready to go by the weekend and Belly's healthy enough to play, so Cintron can return to the SYR lineup Friday, and S.Byner will go back down to HAR. Good news for the big club, as that leaves the 41st slot open for JZMM's call-up over the weekend.

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

20,487

Posted by: 6thandD | April 16, 2009 6:19 PM
----------------------------

What's that - # of 2009 STH, predicted paid attendance for tonight, or the count of "Fire Acta - Trade Kearns" posts on NJ?

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

>Sounds like Guzman may be ready to go by the weekend

If he goes on the DL, Acta's toast. There's no way the team can survive that in this situation imo. Not that his injury would be Acta's fault, it's just that you can't keep someone around when you're 4-16.

Let's get a win tonight. Natstown deserves it.

Posted by: Brue | April 16, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

20,487 paid to see the Nats in the second game at Nationals Park in 2008. Who wants to guess the attendance tonight?

Posted by: 6thandD | April 16, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinx | April 16, 2009 5:59 PM

*************************************

He doesn't mind taking a walk at all. Patience, usually, and more so with other Nats going deep in the count. It seems contagious, will wear some pitchers down?

From Yankee Universe: "Milledge is not perfect either, but he is a young player who has been criticized for immaturity. He makes baserunning errors and occasionally throws to the wrong base, but those things generally fade with time and experience. In the right clubhouse, he might flourish into the player that his talent suggests he should be. I am not sure about the parameters of a deal, but any move would likely start with Ian Kennedy." Take Kennedy!

Will Olsen land on the 29th against the Phillies? Will someone check me up on this?

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 16, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@6th&D:

I'll play along - 21,577 predicted for tonight's game.

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I'll guess 22,135 (only 3,149 of which Stan Kasten paid for with his own money).

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | April 16, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

3-run HR, Dunn!

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but I'm thinking Dunn probably doesn't give up 3 runs in LF tonight.

Posted by: joebleux | April 16, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that's what the line-up is supposed to do! Whoohoo!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 16, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

The Dunnkey looked comfortable doing what he does. Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of walks and another dinger ce soir.

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 16, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@nova_g:

Let's not get either greedy or ahead of ourselves.

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is such an idiot.

Texas leaguer. Look it up.

Posted by: kevinx | April 16, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

@kevinx:

Please note for future reference - The Nationals' MASN team should be referred to as either Crapenter or Dribble. The "true" play-by-play is covered by Charlie & Dave via 1500AM or mlb.com (don't know who XM-radio carries).

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

well said BinM. Charlie and Dave ROCK! Did you hear their little cheeseburger bit awhile ago? Sounded rehearsed but i don't think it was. hilarious.

I don't think i'll ever get sick of hearing them.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 16, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@NN:

No, missed the bit - had to run to the store. During ST, I listened to some of the Grapefruit League announcing teams (HOU, StL, NYM in particular), and I have to say our radio team is truly a treasure.

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@BinM

XM carries the home team game feeds. Made an exception on Monday and carried the Phillies (road) feed because of the passing of Harry Kalas.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 16, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@leetee:

Home radio or TV?

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd assume radio feed, but you never know about media crossover nowadays.

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Nice start from Martis tonight. HR from Willingham - YES!

Posted by: BinM | April 16, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I also like the idea of Dukes hitting before Dunn - not sure how long I am going to like Brue railing on Manny for every little thing - thought with Milledge being sent down we would get a rest from people piling on but I guess its the nature of this blog to be negative about someone and Manny is an easy target - I am just so happy to have baseball in DC I guess I am in the minority - I also suffered through the Senators in the 50's & 60's so its easy for me not to be negative about this group - Eddie Yost was a god to me so I am easily impressed

Posted by: sjm3091 | April 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse