Lineups From Citizens Bank

Here are your lineups for the series-opener in Philly, where the weather is topping 90.

Washington

Werth - 9
Ibanez - 7
Dobbs - 5
Marson - 2
Blanton - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  April 27, 2009; 3:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading (And Some Numbers)
Next: A Quirky Hitting Streak (*)

Comments

Let's take 2 out 3, at least. Odds are favorable.

Posted by: nats24 | April 27, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Yep. I like the pitching matchups.
Keep it up, Shairon!!

Posted by: usmc53 | April 27, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm not crazy about our 8-9-1 back-to-back-to-back in this lineup. I can't wait until Guzman gets back. I'm really excited about:
Guzman-Johnson-Zimmerman-Dunn-Dukes-Kearns-Flores-Hernandez-Pitcher.

That's one hell of a 1-through-7.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 27, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone really excited about the 8-9-1 of any order?

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Go get 'em Shairon! Like nats24 wrote, 2 out of 3 with Martis and Lannan wins would delight me this week. But, I'm sure I'll pay for my optimism.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone really excited about the 8-9-1 of any order?

Posted by: Section506

The American League?

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@506...In the AL, yes, when you, essentially get 8, 1a, 1. In the NL, no. But that is one of the things that makes the NL more interesting.

Posted by: Catcher50 | April 27, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

8-9-1 is interesting when Livan! is pitching.

It is interesting for both teams when Dontrelle Willis is pitching.

Posted by: wigi | April 27, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha, good points all around, Catcher50 and Wigi.

It's quite around here after a win, eh?

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

When Guzman gets back, our 8-9-1 will be (I'm guessing): Hernandez-Pitcher-Guzman. Hernandez slaps a single, pitcher bunts him over, Guz brings him around with a single.

I am more excited about that than I am about the 8-9-1 we have at the moment.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 27, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Quite, indeed. Sigh.

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Ah, fair point, USMC, I get it now.

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

and... our pitchers can bunt... whoda thought?

Posted by: wigi | April 27, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Just took a look at MLB.COM and the list of free agents the only one i'd consider would be Pedro or maybe Ben Sheets, looking at the lineup no Maxwell, man i like that kid he just needs to play, we need some D tonite as Jackie Robinson would say "lets go".

Posted by: dargregmag | April 27, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Olsen can bunt, he's a good baseball player insticts wise, lannan is okay at it... has Martis laid a bunt down? what about Zmann? can't remember off the top of my head, but DCab is afraid of a baseball bat, let alone a 90mph pitch to bunt

Posted by: destewar | April 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

DCab has laid down a sacrifice, and so has JZimm. Martis has struck out bunting at least once that I can specifically recall. As you suspected, destewar, Olsen leads the team with 3 sac bunts, and Lannan is behind him with 2.

Posted by: faNATic | April 27, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

We should take a flier on Sheets

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | April 27, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

We need to trade Kearns, Milledge and Johnson. We need to get JMax into the everyday lineup. He is ready.

Dunn at 1b
Willingham in LF
JMax in CF
Dukes in RF

That trade bait should get you a leadoff hitter who can play 2B now and a solid prospects for AA. I think Rizzo is proving out to be a guy who gets things done. Look for moves over the next month.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 27, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Might be too early to give up on Milledge. And we are very unlikely to get anything for him. Your plan works so long as you have the industrial lubricant necessary to slide money out of the Lerners wallet. Kearns and Johnson have real value unless you are eating some salary.

Milledge could still learn. He is young. Now if we flipped him for another prospect I don't mind.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 27, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree they would have to pay be responsible for some salary to get value but hey it is only money. Milledge has not position if I am right about JMax. I really like the way he carries himself and the jumps he gets in CF. Milledge will never beat out Dukes in RF and I hope we have better LF prospects on the way than Milledge. I think Willingham and Roger B would make a fine 3 and 4th OF will Harris being the fifth OF next year.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 27, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'd like to see J "Escobar" Maxwell stay on the field for a good long run of games before I go making holes in the depth chart, but I agree I'd like to see what he could do with two months starting and leading off in CF - he's 25, which makes him older than Milledge, older than Dukes, and only a couple months younger than Bernadina.

So my solution is this - move Kearns, eat the contract, get back an interesting AA MI player with upside, let Willingham (aka Church the Righty) be the 4th OF and go to war with a daily OF of Dunn-Max-Dukes, with Willingham subbing in regularly in LF for an occassional Willingham-Dukes-Dunn or Willingham-Maxwell-Dukes OF with Dunn spelling NJ.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | April 27, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

As I recall, Maxwell had trouble with breaking stuff in his last stint in the bigs.

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I still think I'd like to see Milledge try 2B in Syracuse.

I also just don't think you can give up Nick's bat, or more especially his glove with the atrocious IF defense the way it is, especially his injury history is likely to hurt his trade value.

With Kearns gone, there are plenty of ABs for NJ, Dunn, Dukes, Maxwell and Willingham, and I think that's the best mix of offense and defense.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | April 27, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Trade Willingham and Milledge.
Keep Johnson.
Re-sign Kearns at the end of the season.

Go Nats!

Posted by: usmc53 | April 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we learn nothing. Johnson is one lively fastball or wicked hop away from a 60-day DL trip. He's a slow healer, remember?

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee, 295 - good thoughts.

There are about 3 OF to 2d base conversions tried this year - Teahen (a former IF), the kid in St Louis, and one other. No harm in trying Millz there IN SYRACUSE. That's what minors are for.

As for soundbloke's observations about the cost of Kearns and Johnson making a trade difficult, I'd say yes to Kearns and no to Johnson. At $5 - 5.5 million, he is cheap to any contender looking for a 1 year fill in. Simply put, Johnson, when healthy, is elite, and if you are not looking for a long term solution, you'll take him while he's healthy. Plus he may play himself into a Type B free agent with a good year. Kearns I think we'd have to eat cost, at least until late July.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | April 27, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, for ridiculous fun, and not that we'll be offered this, but would you trade Nick Johnson for any of the As top 4 starting prospects - Cahill, Anderson, Ynoa, or Gio Gonzalez. I'd take Gio (who may be a bust but has an incredible strikeout record in the minors) and Cliff Pennington, their top minor league middle infielder.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | April 27, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Milledge, he's now at .267, with a .333 OBP, 5 R, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 3 BB, 6 SO, and 3 SB. This is all over 8 games.

In the last series, 6 for 13, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 SO and 1 BB.

I can't find errors on the Chiefs' site.

Is he turning around? Good lord, I hope so. There's just no way that he's as bad as we saw this Spring.

Posted by: Section506 | April 27, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Bat Dukes leadoff even after Guz comes back. His OBP will be higher and he's better in every way. Let your best player get more at bats. Guz bats 6th so Flores can drive him in. 8-9 will be weak, but let Belliard start once in a while.
Geezer

Posted by: utec | April 27, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Reports I read say he has at least one error and has run into 3 outs so far. I think Rizzo understands Milledge will never be a starter for his team. Cut your loses like so many other Jimbo contracts, trades and drafts.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 27, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

ronnie needs to be playing second

Posted by: bford1kb | April 27, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Dukes, a guy who has 30 HR power, batting first is a bit of an odd idea. The guy has the ability to hit for average, so maybe with his speed, he could score many runs from the lead off spot. But, the loss of what he can knock in likely does not make up for that. Dukes is a pretty ideal 5 hitter for this team. I might think that he could be flipped inot the 3 hole for Zimmerman but Ryan's contract calls for him to hit third, or so that seems to be the case as he has been Sharpied-into that spot no matter how well/poorly he has hit for the last 2 plus years of Acta.

Posted by: dfh21 | April 27, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse