Lineups From Turner Field

Kotchman -- 3
Francoeur -- 9
Diaz -- 7
Schafer -- 8
Lowe -- 1

By Chico Harlan  |  April 10, 2009; 5:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mid-Morning/Rain Delay (?) Reading
Next: Opening Day In Atlanta

Comments

Does Acta want to win, or is his job to be an appeaser? Does he actually watch the games he's supposed to manage? Milliedge (0-9, 1BB, 5Ks) back in the leadoff spot and more misadventures in CF? (I NEVER thought I would ever write this) Kearns out of the lineup while he's somewhat hot? Dunn-Dukes-Kearns (for the time being) is probably the most productive OF alignment for this team. What has "Mr. I Don't Do Team Meetings" done to deserve field time? I like Acta, but he's probably better suited to manage a team like the Mets than a developing squad where playing time should be earned.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 10, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I know there are some serious Kearns haters here on NJ, but he's been hitting so far...why bench him for Milledge tonight? I pray we get to Lowe tonight. I'll have a crisis of faith if we start 0-4!

Posted by: reverendnat | April 10, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

This new Nats road uni set is the best they've looked ... since powder blue Expos days. I LOVE the red Washington script and navy caps.

Also, gotta shout about JACKIE 42!

Posted by: TheSpaldingMachine | April 10, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why pull Kearns while he is hot... and even though he only has had one start, Dukes was productive in that game with a hit and 2 walks...

I have to agree that as of today, their best OF alignment is Dunn-Dukes-Kearns...

But I guess we will see, maybe Milledge will turn it around and stop being this blog's whipping boy... if he leads off with a dinger, we'll love 'em... until he has to go out and play defense...

Posted by: rumbly45 | April 10, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully LMillz can have a good game tonight. I know this, the Nats need a W in a big way.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 10, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Agree with everyone above. As soon as I looked at the lineup, I was disgusted.
It's a terrible decision to have Milledge start and any two (2) of Kearns, Willingham, and Dukes on the bench. Today it's Kearns and the Hammer. No good. Both are better than Lastings.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 10, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Can we hurry up and trade away some of our OF excess (including Lastings) for a decent starting pitcher???

I'm glad Kearns and Nick Johnson are looking good to start the season if the front office has plans to move them to get some starting pitching. I like having both of those guys in DC, but I'm all for building up the team with the future in mind.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 10, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

If either Johnson or Escobar get on, watch for them to run against Flores; opposing teams are going to test his throws (& elbow) until he proves he's healthy.

On another subject, does anybody know if Hernandez is with the team? Technically, he could come off the DL tomorrow (14 days from 3/28).

Posted by: BinM | April 10, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Personally I dont mind having Milledge in the lineup for a while. He's either going to succeed there or dig his own grave. If he plays only off and on, he'll just spend the whole season in limbo and we still won't know what we've got in him.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 10, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

i wasn't here last season for whatever kearns did, but it sounds like a lot of Ks and GIDPs? in any case, i've seen him super hustling down the line several times, his swing is adjusted, and he's played the field fine, so with his buddy dunn here, he's doing just fine for us. we are no longer in a 'cavernous' outfield situation? midge (a tiny insect, diminutive of milledge) may fly around a bit better. i can't see him hitting lowe, tho, except on the ground.

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 10, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

now pitching:

Mr. Derek-No-Walks-But-Ground-Balls-All-Night-So-We’re-Glad-It’s-Nick’s-Turn-At-First-Tonight-Lowe

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 10, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Ground balls won't go to Nick while Lowe is pitching.
Kotchman will be at 1B.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 10, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

If Milledge leads off with a dinger off Derek Lowe I'll eat my shorts and like it. I just hope he hits one fair.

Posted by: Brue | April 10, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

My hope is that Martis can give the team 6 solid innings tonight; the bullpen is fresh after an off day, but I'd prefer not to see more than one or two of them tonight.

Posted by: BinM | April 10, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | April 10, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Shawn Hill starting tonight at Petco Park.
He's up against Barry Zito.

Posted by: usmc53 | April 10, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

>I'll say it up front - I wish the Nationals' would have taken an honest run at signing Lowe in the off-season.

I still think it was collusion in his case. He didn't even get any offers until the end.

Posted by: Brue | April 10, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm always somewhat reluctant to question the lineups. However, I don't like the idea of shuttling Dunn back and forth between left field and first base. As long as Nick is with the team, I'd like Dunn to stay in left. I know they want to give Nick some time off and I think this is a good idea. I also know that Dunn has played more games at first then Willingham. Nonetheless, if they're going to sit Johnson, I'd rather see Willingham get the at bats at first.

I also agree with the other posters here tonight. Kearns is off to a semi-hot start and I'm disappointed he's on the bench. As long as he's hitting I'd like to see him play. His only trade value will be if he can show he's healthy and productive. He cannot prove either sitting on the bench.

I've been beating this drum for a while but I think Rizzo really has to move an outfielder (or two) pretty quickly. It's early in the season so there haven't been any problems yet. I just don't see how they can give everyone enough at bats.

Posted by: grforbes | April 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Question for you guys:
Did the Nationals get anything for Alfonso Soriano, or did he leave as a free agent?

Posted by: usmc53 | April 10, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I can tell you that the team made sure to subtly suggest to my firm not to try getting out of the contract (which we had never even considered!). They mentioned that they were enlisting a collections firm and considering litigious options for some of their clients. I think they knew what they'd be facing in this economy and decided to call all their patrons to remind them of the binding seat licenses.

As for the food, it was at least "gourmet" by ballpark standards. Apparently their chef was previously employed at the Ritz Carlton, so they did try to make it special. I probably ate in the club 40-50 times last season and noticed a decent variety of options. We'll know soon enough though what this year brings.

-----------------------

Well said Alex, but I think they are having trouble with those as well. Contracts can be voided when one side doesn't hold up there end. For example "Gourmet buffet" was included in the wording of the contract - it most certainly was not!

Posted by: anyone1 | April 10, 2009 11:02 AM

-----------------------

Just to catch up on the discussion about season tickets, try being locked into a 7-year contract for 4 presidential seats. Talk about bad timing. So even if 20% cancel their tickets, the economic collapse doesn't mean the team's not still getting paid from its most lucrative sales.

Posted by: AlexL925 | April 10, 2009 12:19 AM

Posted by: AlexL925 | April 10, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The Bog has a new Stan post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 10, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnonymousSources | April 10, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

They got Jordan zimmermann with one of the two draft picks they hot for Soriano leaving. I forget who they got with the other one.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 10, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

>Brue - Lowe signed at an average date. Braves had just lost A.J. and they were in a bidding war with the Mets for Derek.

Yeah I think the reality is that the only collusion involved was happening in the Nats front office.

Posted by: Brue | April 10, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: AlexL925 | April 10, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

>i wasn't here last season for whatever kearns did, but it sounds like a lot of Ks and GIDPs?

His hands weren't in a hitting position, and they were too close to his body. He's shortened his stroke, because he couldn't get his bat started on the inside heat before. He's getting the bat head out in front of the plate now because his approach has been shrunk by Eckstein.

Posted by: Brue | April 10, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse