Opening Day Lineups

First pitch is one hour away.

Washington

Uggla - 4
Hermida - 7
Ross - 9
Maybin - 8
Nolasco - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  April 6, 2009; 3:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About The Marlins
Next: Opening Day Semi-Live Blog

Comments

Holy crap!

I'm so freaking excited!!

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

N-A-T-S. Nats! Nats!! NATS!!!

(Hey, it worked for me on Saturday night.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but is that Kearns in right? Holy buh jebus! Of the top 5 outfielders, Manny chooses the 5th best. Awesome!

Posted by: dclifer | April 6, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Play Ball!

Posted by: AnonymousSources | April 6, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Fish can be fried, poached or grilled today. Go get em Johnny Boy Lannan!!!

Posted by: Brue | April 6, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

[from last thread]

"Heck, while we're at it, why trade within your own *league* - you might have to face those guys in the playoffs, right? Am I missing something?

Posted by: Section220"

... well of course, trading within the division happens, and often - I suppose - it turns out well, for all concerned.

... maybe it's a more logical 'rule' in other sports than baseball, in cases where some trades are made for a variety of reasons, some of which do not include the quality or the current value of the players) involved. For example, in some cases, a GM will make a trade for the sole reason of giving his player a better chance to play everyday, but only on another team. Such would be the case with Willingham, I assume. Mike and Manny might feel they simply can't give him what he wants or needs - enough ABs, but they know he could get those at bats on another team. He may very well appeal to them for a trade, and they might want to do that for him. In that case, it would be fool-hardy - not totally but quite possibly - to trade him to another team within the NL East, for the very reason, he would be a strong player against the Nats, not because he wants to be or because he might dig a little deeper against us(although that could happen) but because this season's schedule has a large number of games within the division.

... that's one reason for such an unwritten rule, I would suggest. There are others.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 6, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh, half excited to see the new road unis.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | April 6, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that Emilio Bonifacio's value basically tailspins when he is playing 3B?

I'm so excited for the Nats game! Unfortunately, I am at college near Boston, so I won't be able to watch the game (unless anyone has any suggestions). I am going home tomorrow night, but we have no yet ordered MLB Extra Innings for the upcoming season.

Posted by: Vladman1327 | April 6, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Nats! The only team in baseball to take its weak outfield, add several new and promising players, and end up with 2/3 of that same struggling outfield. Fantastic!

Posted by: vash462 | April 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for the GamedayAudio link to go live...

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I usually enjoy rooting for ex-Nat's to do well as they continue their careers elsewhere...but I cannot find any reason to cheer for FLop. He was selfish and lazy with the Nats...but somehow can lead off the season with a HR for another team.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | April 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@natscanreduxit - Interesting point. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that if we were to agree to accommodate a player's trade demands solely to make the player happy (and perhaps to avoid him becoming a distraction), but we thought the player could be productive, we wouldn't want that guy traded within the division where we'd have to face him quite a bit.

My only issue with that is we would, presumably, want something back in the trade, and I would rather get the best deal, period, than worry about what division we traded the player to.

Now, I think you may be correct that there are certain exceptions (like, say, Manny Ramirez) where a club feels they *have* to make a trade and they are not going to get full value, so the club at least wants to put that player as far away as possible. I would suggest that those exceptions are at least somewhat rare rather than a general rule. I'd also suggest that we don't really have anyone who would fall in that category (I suppose, though, that if Willingham became so upset about not playing that he was causing tangible problems, he could develop into that guy).

On balance, I acknowledge that there are times when you don't want to trade within your division, but I don't think we're there yet. In other words, my own two cents would be, if there was a good trade to be had where we sent some of our outfield surplus elsewhere within the division in exchange for promising prospects, I wouldn't hesitate merely because we'd be trading within the division.

Posted by: Section220 | April 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That line-up looks eerily similar to last year's line-up...just a different mid-section. Hopefully those two make a difference!

Dunn - 7
Johnson - 3

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ready to go with Charlie and Dave on the radio; if I'm gonna have to be stuck at work, might as well be stuck with the best. Miraculously, I can pick them up on Federal Pen radio, or whatever this lame-o station is that the mighty F.O. has made a deal with. First pitch coming up...let's go "Lead-Off" Lastings!

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh Charlie Slowes, how I missed you!

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

By the way, love this!
----------------------------
Holy crap!

I'm so freaking excited!!

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 3:18 PM

Posted by: PattyinSJ | April 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Funny, my wife pretty much said the same thing about me yesterday.

I gotta lay off the Burger King...

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Re: Kearns starting in RF

As the Post wrote over the weekend, Acta said it would be a competition and Kearns outplayed Dukes in spring training. I like seeing a manager stand behind his words and convictions, which is why I like Acta!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | April 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

natscanreduxit,
A. Nats v. anyone else in the NL East ain't exactly the Yanks v. RSox. Meaning, at this point, I'm not concerned with the traded player coming back and hurting our playoff chances.
B. Kearns is incapable of striking fear in anyone. Willingham, it would be worth the risk.
C. Any trade should be made if it benefits the team. Trading our 4th or 5th OF to a team who will use them as a 4th OF/pinch-hitter to me is a no-brainer, especially if we get better in the long run.
D. As someone point out in the previous post. Most of our trades are within the division and, if not, within the NL. Some players, for instance, are said to be "ideal NL players," meaning they are more versatile and suitable to act as defensive replacements.

Posted by: dclifer | April 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Good GOD! That was the worst rendition of the national anthem I've ever heard. I was literally LOL.

Posted by: JennX_ | April 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

*Ah, Charlie and Dave in the house for at least 162! What could be better?*

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Just caught the end of the anthem (Chicago?) got Charlie and Dave, the lineups being read, I have no problem with this being Monday!
To paraphrase Rev. Lovejoy - Let's Rock and or Roll!
C'mon Milledge, impress me!

Cheers, and happy baseball!

Posted by: HotNats | April 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

First pitch swinging. Very first pitch swinging.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

is there a reason lastings is wearing #85 today?

Posted by: cookiemaster90 | April 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

First pitch swinging. Very first pitch swinging.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have the link to the gameday audio?

Posted by: trezmartin | April 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sad,heartbroken me
No free streaming audio
Stares at screen and cries

Posted by: HaikuMan | April 6, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

new post.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 6, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sad,heartbroken me
No free streaming audio
Stares at screen and cries

Cheer up, Haiku man
Those of us with radio
Suf'rin' already

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 6, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Look on the bright side -- a slow start will force the Lerners to draft, and more quickly sign, Strasburg.

Posted by: VPaterno | April 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Not so much concerned about a slow start as I am about a long, slow slog to continued irrelevancy. And besides, even certain future HOF'er S. Strasburg can only get the ball every 4th or 5th game...right?

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey - I think we found our leadoff guy; oh , wait...we traded Bonifacio...

Posted by: smallsamplesize | April 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Milledge gave us his number 44 to Dunn, cookiem. He chose 85 as the new one because it's his year of birth.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 6, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse