Saturday's Mid-Day Reading

Shhhhh. Keep it down. We don't want to wake Chico before it's time to go to the park. Games that end at 1:25 a.m. are just about the worst for a Post writer because that's right about the witching hour for making the final edition. I'm sure Chico will have some pregame reflections for us but in the meantime I found a few items of interest.

The Chiefs lost again Friday to Rochester, so that's an 0-2 start. Looks like Balester had a bad fourth inning (this story is from the Democrat and Chronicle so not so much about the Chiefs as the Wings in it. Still looking for the Syracuse paper's story, but here's the box score.

The P-Nats start 0-2 with another loss to Lynchburg. The Senators lost 2-1 to dread foe Reading. Hagerstown beat Lake County, 4-2, in 10 innings.

Interesting Q&A with Gary Sheffield on the Fish Bytes blog.

It's not the most contentious bow in the news this week, but apparently the Tigers had reps of the Big 3 take the field for the first pitch along with Kid Rock, who bowed to them. (They were apparently line workers, not executives.) Took me a minute to find Kid in this photo. He looks like SOMEBODY in these glasses -- somebody other than Kid Rock -- but I can't quite think of who it is. Garth from "Wayne's World"? This is really bugging me. Thoughts?

Tom Seaver has first-pitch honors at Citi Field, says the New York Post. ... Pirates Manager John Russell has surgery for gout. ... Despite that horrible line drive to the head, Giants pitcher Joe Martinez may be back within a month.

ESPN will debut a new commercial Monday featuring Albert Pujols. Not their best, but not bad.

There was some discussion the other day about fitness and pitching and the program Nolan Ryan has brought to the Rangers. Wanted to be sure you all saw this Dallas Morning News Q&A with Ryan on the topic. (I'm guessing when Nolan Ryan tells you to do something, you do it. Who's going to argue?)

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 11, 2009; 2:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Losing By Narrow Margins
Next: Nats Lineup Against Kawakami

Comments

Looks to me like somebody I've seen on a sitcom, but can't place him either. Blake something?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 11, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree why all the hype on Milledge and the baserunning "mistake" which i didn't think was THAT bad....when you have an arm like Francour you usually shade more to 2nd...had he caught the ball there is no way Milledge could have advanced to third. As for the double play bad luck...i thought he had a good pitch and should have swung just didn't get the job done. What I don't get JayBee and the other Milledge haters...why no criticism for Nick Johnson....he played AWFUL....both guys hit into a double play....Johnson went 1 for 6 with 3 strikeouts and 6 runners left on base. Milledge went 2-5 with one strikeout and 4 men left on base. Milledge also got hit by a pitch so he was onbase 50% of the time. Johnson on the other had only reached base once and shouldn't have ever even been there. That was a routine fly ball that Diaz lost in the lights or whatever. So if there is anyone to blame for why we lost last nights game (outside of Nieves) its Nick Johnson. You can attack Milledge for his performance in the first couple of games but not last night. He was fine defensively and had maybe one potenial base running mistake. But had Francour caught the ball and Milledge didn't advace to 3rd wouldn't that have been a mistake as well???

Posted by: Steveo11 | April 11, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Kid Rock with glasses looks like Sawyer from Lost--with glasses.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | April 11, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

No it would not have been a mistake. The mistake was not going half way on a when you are on 2nd base with one out on a ball hit over the head of the RF. That cost a run....one of many we did not score that would have won the game in 9 innings.

Yup Johnson had a bad game it happens...he did not have any mental errors that I say and he does not have a long history of Bad fielding, poor baserunning and poor lead off skills. He has earned his job.....Has Milledge?

Posted by: JayBeee | April 11, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

How about Blake Clark?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 11, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I think I must have been thinking of Sawyer from Lost with the glasses and the hair pulled back -- thanks, battomfeeders10! And now I know who Blake Clark is, so thanks for that, too, 1a1.

Posted by: traceeh | April 11, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome. I had to Google to figure out his last name.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

JayBee:

Ok maybe Milledge makes mistakes...but why blame him for a game that WASN'T HIS FAULT?????? Also Johnson is on the wrong side of 30..Milledge deserves a bit of a chance to see if he can be a regular ML'er...what if Johnson was given up on after only one season???

Seriously what is your hatred to Millege about...did he refuse to give you an autograph or something??? Give Milledge a bit of a chance to see what he can do.

Posted by: Steveo11 | April 11, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

500 AB's last year was not enough of a chance for you?

I do not hate him at all. I think he is being very poorly served by Acta. Giving him the CF and lead off job without any competition is hurting him. Not holding him accountable for his poor baseball skills is hurting him. Allowing him to miss meetings and still start is hurting him.

He should be in AA or AAA learning baseball if they want him as a CF/lead off guy or he should be our 5th OF and get 150 ABs of so in LF.

I do not hate Milledge but I hate how Acta has sacrificed the team goals and hurt his development at the same time.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 11, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

You're thinking of Judah Friedlander from 30 Rock. Goofy glasses, long hair, trucker cap with sardonic phrase.

Posted by: rallycap | April 11, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse