Some Morning Reading

The Post's 2009 baseball preview section came out today, so we've got a healthy stock of morning reading material. Take note, especially, of Boswell's column: He envisions a "palatable" 2009 season in NatsTown, which could swing either way depending on the young staff. (NJ curator's note: I agree. The staff is THE key. No ands-ifs-buts. I'll have a longer post about this before the season begins.) And here is Sheinin's main feature story, which analyzes baseball's new tendency to value youth over experience; the Nats, indeed, are an extreme example of the shift. Check out the player capsules here.

One player not capsulized: Dmitri Young. Read more about him here.

By Chico Harlan  |  April 1, 2009; 7:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pena Given Unconditional Release
Next: Mid-Morning Reading

Comments

and buster olney picks jordan zimmermann as his preseason NL rookie of the year pick.

Posted by: sec231 | April 1, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

The math going from 36 to 34 on the roster:

Glover was reassigned and WMP given his unconditional release:

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | April 1, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I love Post baseball preview day!

Great job on the capsules, Chico. I'll have to read the rest at work.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 1, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

A capsule for Dmitri? I'm thinking the size of one of those horse tranquilizers.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | April 1, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Buster (whatever) Olney picks a Nats prospect for ROY? Uh, isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 1, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The countdown is on...just think, a week from today the Nats will either be in first or last as Olson prepares to face his old team. I love kool-aid. Great reading this morning. Lets get it on.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 1, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I hadn't seen it in any of my reading...
Comcast now carries MASN HD as of today. I'm in Rockville, and it's channel 247. I would assume that's the channel lineup for most of the metro area, but I've been wrong a thousand and twenty seven times before.

Posted by: Section138 | April 1, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Ohmygosh! I'm so excited. All kinds of Nats news on wapo this morning. And pretty positive stuff too!

natbiscuit, your wish list was pitch perfect. As for me, I just want them to play with the same heart they had in 2007.

And a minor correction on saturday's fan fest. I believe it's for FULL season ticket holders. I'm a STH, but only a partial plan and I didn't get any tickets.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 1, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@natbiscuit

I would add one more item to your wish list: pitchers getting bunts down

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | April 1, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Does the impending start of the season also mean that we'll be seeing the MLB Sunday feature again? Hope so, as I always enjoyed it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 1, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

The staff is the key? A #1 who is young and good, but not ace material. A #2 and #3 who are youngish and in decline. And, a #4 and #5 who are untested rookies.

Even the upside on this combination isn't that great.

Posted by: fischy | April 1, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Goodness, what a thoroughly unproductive morning! :-)

Great story about Dmitri, Chico. Let's hope he can get back up to the big league club real soon.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

It was a good story, thanks.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse