The 25-Man Roster Is Set

Dave's still on the field, workin' it, but he hopes to get the dish on the right field situation before the game so stay tuned...

Pitching Rotation

Josh Willingham

Catchers
Josh Bard
Jesus Flores
Wil Nieves

By Tracee Hamilton  |  April 4, 2009; 4:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Lineups
Next: Kearns In Right Field, And Other Assorted Nuggets

Comments

No Bergmann, eh? Did he have options left?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 4, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Yay for Tavarez!!

Posted by: skippy1999 | April 4, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Willingham, the one who seems to be the most opposed to "starting" on the bench gets the RF nod.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | April 4, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Really surprised no Bergmann - which catcher goes down when we bring up Zimmermann

Posted by: sjm3091 | April 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts also went to Bergmann, and whether he had options. I am guessing he did not.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 4, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Bergman has an option left. I wish this team would just play the best players and stop over thinking everything. Bergman earned a spot and Taverez has no future with this team. I do not know who made this call but I would like to know.....any chance the Post does more than report a press release?

Posted by: JayBeee | April 4, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

JayBee is right, Bergmann earned a spot and I think Tavarez is trouble waiting to happen - interesting to see how our clubhouse will be with this group

Posted by: sjm3091 | April 4, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The others who did not make the team in the end were Colome and Mock. I understand Mock going down, but I thought Colome had a decent spring.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | April 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"Tavarez is trouble waiting to happen - interesting to see how our clubhouse will be with this group"

Julian's a great clubhouse guy, no worries there.

Posted by: skippy1999 | April 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, Colome isn't on the 40-man anymore and to add him there would have to be a correspending move to take him off...not too many players they want to remove right now.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | April 4, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann should be on the team, maybe they want him to get a few starts in so that he can replace DCab in a couple weeks.

I would love to hear why we need three catchers.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 4, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

There is no horror like an injured or sick child. I hope the early report is correct and will keep the Johnson family in my prayers.

TippyCanoe, pleasse thank your son for serving.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | April 4, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann had a .000 ERA in nine games, over 11.1 innings. Might be hard to improve on that!

Posted by: EdDC | April 4, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

"I would love to hear why we need three catchers."

... seems to me that they wanted to keep the Bard for his bat, but had to list him under his playing position; there's no roster category for PH.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm with those who are a little surprised about Bergmann. The three catchers are understandable, I'm guessing that they are a little unsure about which way to go. Also, there are still two days 'til opening day. The list of injuries on other teams is beginning to mount up (that is what the real problem is with the WBC, it make ST too long by about a week.).

Don't bet against another GM panicking and the Nats trading one of the outfielders or catchers for a serious prospect and bringing up Bergmann. There are only 11 pitchers on the roster. That may be OK for the first week in April, but that is about all.

Posted by: Catcher50 | April 4, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman is the 12th pitcher going up....I wouldn't mind if they carry 13 pitchers....If Acta is going to keep putting DCab out there all year they will need 13 pitchers.

Posted by: JayBeee | April 4, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Randy St. Claire better start working some more magic!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | April 4, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

>I would love to hear why we need three catchers."

Flores is probably still hurt. When he's 100%, they'll cut Nieves.

Posted by: Brue | April 4, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

JayBee - I think you are right that they were not going to carry an 8th bullpen arm. Maybe they should, but I think that the extra catcher is insurance for the only regular not on the DL who was hurt for a substantial part of the exhibition season (Flores). The fact that Bard can pinch hit also helps the 3 catcher alignment.

I am surprised at Bergmann, but I'm guessing that the option consideration was the key. I don't think it is an accident that none of the bullpen have options left. I'm happy that Mock will get higher leverage work at AAA than sporadic mop up work in MLB. I think the fact that both LeDezma and Tavarez can be brought in early and go multiple innings, and can be used for mop up in blow outs, is probably the cover for those days Cabrera and Olsen just don't have it. Bergmann probably could have done the same thing, but maybe they want to use him in more of a short role.

Maybe it is a sign of progress that every pitcher in the rotation has upside or, in Lannan's and Olsen's cases, is young and somewhat established, and that our sacrificial lamb veterans are in the pen. There is no filler in the rotation. Maybe Cabrera crabs out, but by then, hopefully we can rotate in the hot AAA pitcher.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | April 4, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Ughhhh, Nick Johnson, when you this team dump Nick Johnson? At least Bowden is gone.

Posted by: dkdc | April 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

What's with Willie Harris as INFIELDER? Adam Dunn as Outfield? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Posted by: CALSGR8 | April 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse