The List Of What's Left

The Nats currently have 34 players remaining in big league camp. Twenty-eight of those players are on the 40-man roster.

Here's what we've got, position-by-position. (And yes, this is an exercise in anal list-making. It's also a way to sort through the possibilities of who makes the roster.) I have bolded those who are already on the team. The seven bullpen names in italics are fighting for four available spots. The two catchers in italics are fighting for the back-up spot. Alex Cintron and Kory Casto are fighting -- along with either Nieves or Bard, whomever is not designated as the No. 2 catcher -- for the final roster spot. Simple as that.

All these guys are traveling up to DC for the final two exhibition games. These decisions will be coming at the very last possible moment.

PITCHERS
1. Jason Bergmann
2. Daniel Cabrera
3. Jesus Colome
4. Joel Hanrahan
5. Shairon Martis
6. Garrett Mock
7. Saul Rivera
8. Steven Shell
9. Julian Tavarez
10. Terrell Young (injured)
11. Jordan Zimmermann

INFIELDERS
1. Ronnie Belliard
2. Kory Casto
3. Alex Cintron
4. Alberto Gonzalez
5. Cristian Guzman
6. Anderson Hernandez (will start year on DL)
7. Nick Johnson
8. Dmitri Young (will start year on DL)
9. Ryan Zimmerman

OUTFIELDERS
1. Elijah Dukes
2. Adam Dunn
3. Willie Harris
4. Austin Kearns
5. Lastings Milledge
6. Josh Willingham

The guesses from this chair? A bullpen of Tavarez, Shell, Hinckley and Bergmann. I'm thinking Nieves and Bard both make the team, Cintron and Casto do not.

By Chico Harlan  |  April 2, 2009; 2:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beer. Rent. The Important Things in Life.
Next: Two Bad Starts, One Slugfest

Comments

Mmmm, Chico, I think you mean "anile."

Unless you're trying to imply that everyone on the Nats' roster is an a-hole.

Posted by: Section506 | April 2, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Nats are up after doubles by Maxwell and Guzman and another Zimmerman HR (With Jesus getting on base there somewhere).

2 out in the 4th. Nats up by...2?

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

It was up by three. Now it's up by four (9-5) after a Kearns line-drive homerun.

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Are you sure you want to stick with that sentence?? In what part of the world is JFK's assassination held in high regard? I mean, other than Fidel's inner sanctotum...?

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 2:02 PM"

... mea culpa all over the place. This is the kind of thing that happens when I get one minute to send a message and two minutes to compose it.

... I certainly hope you understood what I meant - John F. Kennedy was held in high - very high - regard internationally; Robert was more of a national figure.

... oh what a tangled web we weave, ...

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

All hell breaks loose in the 4th. Moyer throws BP and gives up 6 runds. Zimmerman and Kearns homer (Zim's 2nd of day).

Posted by: kfisher32 | April 2, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just reading Boz's chat transcript now, this struck me.
"Can't believe Manny, or somebody, didn't switch it so Cabrera pitched game two in Miami with Olsen in game three. Then Olsen could haved pitched trhe home owner. Much better karma. Now Cabrera has to pitch in front of the same fans who saw all his worst mom,ents of the last five years __and probably forget the best ones because they weren't as spectacular."

It would also make sense, in general, to put Cabrera (R) between Lannan (L) and Olsen (L).

Posted by: dclifer | April 2, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"anal list-making" seems correct to me, especially if you simply can't stop doing it, or hate the fact that everyone else comes along and tries to better it.

... OMG, but my part of this on-going conversation is suffering badly today.

... PLEASE: spring training over, regular season begin!

Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 2, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I assume Shell and Mock have options remaining. If so, they go down, at least for the time being. Gonzales has options, too, doesn't he? If so, he goes down when Hernandez comes back. They are going to have to roll the dice on a pitcher or two clearing waivers, someone like Colome or Hickley, etc.

Posted by: Section314 | April 2, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brian_ | April 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

By the way, we've got runs all over the place this afternoon. Nats are up 9-5 through four. Olsen has looked shaky, but Moyer is getting rocked. Zimmerman already has two home runs. Kearns has one. I've got to crank right now on longer story for tomorrow's paper, but I'll post some stuff about the game a bit later.

Posted by: chicoharlan | April 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

natscan, blame a language barrier! Say your first language is Canadian, you'll fool most of us.

Posted by: Section506 | April 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Colome might get a BP spot. He's pitched well this spring. 0 walks is huge for him and his K ability is always solid.

Posted by: hoo93 | April 2, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

natscan,

I don't think you need to apologize, I think 99% of the people here knew what you meant.

Well, except for Fischy who had to blow it out of proportion. Geez.

Posted by: Section505203 | April 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

An anal list isn't anything like a fecal roster, is it?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Speaking of which -- have they given up on finding a corporate name for the stadium?"

Know any corporations these days that have a spare $10M or so per year to pay for stadium naming rights? Nope? Well neither do the Lerners.

Although apparently the family at least still has some money themselves. Maybe they could follow Jack Kent Cooke's lead and come up with a name that's a combination of their kids' names. Leave the in-laws out and scrunch together Mark, Marla and Debra to get Mardebkla. Mardebkla Field. Rolls off the tongue almost as easily as Raljon, doesn't it?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"I assume Shell and Mock have options remaining."
Section314

------------

Shell is out of options per Chico. Mock has options left. I think the last spots in the BP boil down to Jesus C., Bergy (big advantage), Shell, Tavarez and then Hinckley vs Ledezma with Hinckley having the advantage after last season but Ledezma with the much better spring.

Posted by: hoo93 | April 2, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I second 505203 on the apology front, natscan. We knew what you meant.

And look at Chico with the in-comment updates. Nice.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Reposting here, because it makes more sense here.

Soriano -- Maxwell -- Guillen
(Church/Kearns [he seems to be a new man] and Dukes as 4th and 5th OFs)

ZMan -- Guzman -- Hernandez/Bonifacio -- Johnson
(Harris, and maybe Casto on the bench -- Dmitri, when he's ready)

Schneider -- Flores

Hill, Zimmermann, Lannan, Hernandez, Martis

Hanrahan, Beimel, Bergmann, Rivera, Hinckley, Albaladejo and maybe Majewski (I know -- can't have Kearns and Majewski, so maybe I need another reliever: Shell or Tavarez).

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"Carrying three catchers in April is dumb unless one of them is also the back-up 1B/top pinch hitter"

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"Mardebkla Field."

It sounds like the site of the Final Battle between good and evil.

Posted by: Section506 | April 2, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"dclifer, the thing that struck me about the quoted bit of transcript was the assumption that Nationals Park would be filled with O's fans on opening day."

You mean all Nats fans AREN'T closet O's fans like Thomas Boswell is? Well shut my mouth!

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Mardebkla Field."

It sounds like the site of the Final Battle between good and evil.

Posted by: Section506 | April 2, 2009 2:31 PM
--------------
So we should adopt that name when the Phillies are in town then...

Posted by: OldDude | April 2, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

As for my response to natscanreduxit -- Ya'll have to realize that it was in response more to his criticism of Acta's use of the word "inventory" as uncaring and disrespectful - I even used the same language to show the parallelism.

I didn't ask for an apology, though I think Acta might be owed one.

Folks in glass houses, and all that.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"The above post reflects my Nats' dream team -- what they might look like, if I'd been GM, instead of Bowden."

You can't have both Soriano and Zimmermann. He was drafted with one of the compensation picks for Soriano leaving.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

great list, Cheeks. (who used this first? it's great)

It's the perfect visual summary of the current status.

It actually stresses me out because I don't know if I could make some of these decisions.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Or unless your main catcher spent most of March out hurt, and neither of your backup possibilities has any options left and you have nowhere else to stash them just in case he's not fully healed yet."

I find that hard to believe regarding Bard or Nieves.

Posted by: Brian_ | April 2, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Though nothing will ever reach the stupidity of wasting a 25-man spot on Tony Blanco in 2005 ... even when he had vertigo, a perfect excuse to hide a Rule 5 guy on the DL

Posted by: Brian_ | April 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

You guys seem to be happy about these Kearns HRs. Not sure why.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 2, 2009 2:35 PM

*************

yea, home runs are so last century.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"That would imply either guy is significantly better than any old average backup.

I find that hard to believe regarding Bard or Nieves."

Maybe not, but they are the inventory on hand at the moment. Sound business practices would always have you using up the current inventory before going out and acquiring more of the same. Which is the printable part of what I always say whenever I get home from Costco with a five-gallon bottle of something only to discover another five-gallon bottle of it already buried in the back of my pantry.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

You're on a roll today, NatsNut. LOL!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Bard, Flores
Johnson*, Belliard, Guzman, Gonzalez, Zimmerman, Harris
Dunn, Willingham, Milledge*, Dukes, Kearns*
Bergmann, Hanrahan, Cabrera, Martis, Rivera, Shell, Tavarez, Beimel, Hinckley, Ledezma, Olsen, Lannan
They cannot carry three catchers. They CAN carry these pitchers for a few more weeks until Zimmerman comes up and that gives them more time to trade a group of the asterisk players.

Posted by: Juliasdad | April 2, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Flores singled in Bernadina to retake the lead.

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

So that it's 10-9 in the top of the 7th?

Looks like the four Phillies runs in the bottom of the 6th were unearned due to an error by (gasp) Super Willie?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Juliasdad - Who plays 1B if we trade Johnson? Dunn, Willingham, Marrero, or bring someone in from outside?

Posted by: usmc53 | April 2, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Juliasdad, in a rare moment of lucidity Thomas Boswell pointed out today that Johnson is not tradeable until he plays for a while to verify that he's healthy and Kearns is not tradeable thanks to his contract.

And they're not going to trade Milledge.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

No wait. Some of the unearned runs were Belli's. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"I think that he did mean anal as in the classic proofreader query: "does anal-retentive have a hyphen?"

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 2:24 PM"

... as the honorary proofreader for my wife's newpaper - a good job for someone as retentive as I am, I love it, natsfan1a1.

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 2, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Back to back homers by TEH GOOOOZ and Cintron to take the lead by two. 12-10.

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I was not listening, but am I to assume the Guzman HR was on the first pitch?

Posted by: Brian_ | April 2, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree that they are not worth much--Johnson/Kearns--but if they pay half of Kearns salary or more, then they should get what they need which is young talent of some sort. They will trade Milledge for the right offer--major league ready, top notch talent that is not an outfielder. They can play Dukes in center, but have to believe Bernadina/Maxwell are able to make the jump if he falters for various reasons--big if.

Posted by: Juliasdad | April 2, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what's funny about someone with this line from last year:

.217 .311 .316

Being the starting right fielder over a younger, more talented player with this line:

.264 .386 .478

Not to mention the fact that being benched for statistically (BA, OPS, SLG min 250 AB) the worst RF in either league might not play too well with Dukes' hilariously (LOL) fragile psyche.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 138. Game day is slow again today.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 2, 2009 3:09 PM
------------------------------------------

Who was the proofreader for her old paper?

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

First, Rick, it hasn't happened yet.

Second, it's someone with this line

.260 / .354 / .435 in 2,705 AB

over

.235 / .359 / .453 in 133 AB

I'm a believer in Dukes, but, oddly enough, the people who get paid to do this aren't really too stupid.

Posted by: Section506 | April 2, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan strikes out 2 in the bottom of the 8th. Going to the 9th 12-10.

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

506, you'd have to be naive to think the decision wasn't already made.

Also, by that argument Fat Ronnie

.275 / .340 / .416 in 4619 AB

should be the starter over Hernandez,

.232 / .283 / .292 in 168 AB

Posted by: RickFelt | April 2, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 138. Good to see Hanrahan back in the mix.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha - Tex is on the mound.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Just for you, 1a:

Majwewsesweski gets out of the inning after giving up a lead off single (turned into a double by an error) to Wil the Thril.

Bottom 9. Shoot. I forgot who they said was warming up for the Nats. My bad!

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Post of the Day machine...overloading...can't handle...the volume...of quality posts...sputter!

-----

I was not listening, but am I to assume the Guzman HR was on the first pitch?

yea, home runs are so last century.

An anal list isn't anything like a fecal roster, is it?

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Garrett Mock is in for the save opportunity.

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Why can't we carry three catchers? I think Bard is a better pinch-hitting threat than either Cintron and especially Casto. Why waste a spot on either of those guys just becasue Bard is a C?

As for the Dukes/Kearns arguement... Dukes is superior to Kearns in everyway. The only stats that matter for Dukes are last years when he got regular playing time. Kearns is what he is, while Dukes is still improving (and is already better). So if you want to compare lines, use Kearns' career numbers against last season for Dukes.

Posted by: sec307 | April 2, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 138. You're the best!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And...Teddy Ballgame. Mock gets 1 K and a double play to end the game.

Bang..Zoom..Curly W..all that.

12-10 for our Golden Gods.

Posted by: Section138 | April 2, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

If Kearns gets the starting nod over Dukes to start the season, it will only be because Kearns has had a hot spring while Dukes has been struggling. And that's only fair. But even then, expect Dukes to get lots of playing time subbing for Kearns and probably Milledge too. And as soon as Dukes heats up and/or Kearns tails off (and at least one of those is guaranteed to happen) look for Dukes to move in as the regular in RF.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 2, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Atta team, Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: usmc53 | April 2, 2009 3:01 PM
__________________

Who plays 1B if Johnson AND Willingham are traded? Kinda puts a damper on Boz's Johnson and Willingham for Arredondo and Wood/Kendrick deal...

Posted by: dclifer | April 2, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"by that argument Fat Ronnie...should be the starter over Hernandez,"

Yes, that's right. By that argument he should. And it's a pretty good argument for that. And if anyone here wants to make that case I would also say - just the same - "I think Hernandez is the future and should get to try it, but you make a fair point."

Posted by: Section506 | April 2, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I like Dukes. A lot. But he is definitely struggling. Oh-for-two today with two more whiffs. While I think he will be a much bigger asset than Kearns this season, I won't be totally freaked out if AK gets the OD nod over him.

Posted by: erocks33 | April 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"If Kearns gets the starting nod over Dukes to start the season, it will only be because Kearns has had a hot spring while Dukes has been struggling. And that's only fair."

I disagree. Make decisions based upon what will happen in the present and future. To be honest, I think the last thing that should be on Acta's mind is how to get Kearns his ABs. He should worry about Dukes and Willingham (even if that means putting Willingham out in RF).

Posted by: dclifer | April 2, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@ RickFelt -- try these numbers on for size:

2006 Washington Nationals
HRs 9 RBIS 40 .216 .398 .276

2007 Seattle Mariners
HRs 28 RBIs 99
.290 .460 .353

I'm not saying that Austin Kearns can touch Jose Guillen's 2007 #s, but his #s last year look like Guillen's in '06. How much would the Nats have loved to have Guillen's '07 season in a Nats' uniform?

Kearns sucked last year, but maybe the injuries had a lot to do with it? Maybe this could be his big year...And, maybe Dukes isn't ready yet...

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

If Dukes comes in for defensive reason, it will be for Dunn, not Kearns. Kearns is the proven commodity inventory defensive specialist extroidinaire roster spot lockdown for rightfield. Well, until Dukes gets out of the funky cesspool he is currently wallowing in.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 2, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

... since we were speaking of ballparks earlier today, I offer the following:

Posted by: natscanreduxit | April 2, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The Phillies' announcers had a really interesting comment about Dukes last at-bat. He was jumping out of his shoes, swinging at a two-strike pitch. They said you have to shorten your swing with 2 strikes -- and that Dukes' swing was an "I don't care" or maybe it was an "I don't give a damn" swing.

Dukes has a lot of growing to do before he deserves to play every day in the majors.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Right on schedule the WAPO goes full blast for QB mania. How many dumb ditty's can Wilbon, Jenkins, Wise, Kornbloom write about this subject over the next 2 weeks.

Boz said it best; The Redskins just won't go away!

Here's to hoping the Nats can get a quarter page on Opening Day.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | April 2, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Anyone thinking about driving down to Norfolk for tomorrows tilt with the birds...ya better check the weather forecast...aint lookin so good.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 2, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Can Willingham play CF?
If Millege and Dukes both struggle early this season, who's next in line in CF? Willingham / Harris?

Posted by: usmc53 | April 2, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Harris, or Maxwell. Willingham is strictly a LF.

Posted by: BobLHead | April 2, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Post, new.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 2, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Dunn has been playing a lot of 1B in late spring. Willingham can play there and frankly for all of Nick's great defense, I am not certain what we got offensively. He did not look very good the days I saw him on TV or at Viera. Not the same Nick by a long shot--so to speak. I will take Dunn and Willingham at 1B/LF and trade to Nick for whatever he brings. My innards hurt to say it, but defense be damned, I am tired of watching a team that cannot hit.

Posted by: Juliasdad | April 2, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse