Through Five: Nats 4, Phillies 4

What an adventurous game so far. Maybe that's what you get when Daniel Cabrera is pitching, though. Or when your defense commits three errors, gets some hometown scoring on least one other fielding gaffe, and turns several flyballs to center into carnival-ride thrills. The good news for the Nats is, they're clawing back, and keeping pace (nearly) despite the mistakes. The other good news is, Elijah Dukes is in the lineup. Here in the fifth, it's 4-4.

Philadelphia has scored runs in three of its five half-innings. Washington has scored single runs in four of its five half-innings.

Dukes, to tie the game, just hit an incredible solo home run -- flicking one hand at a low-and-away pitch, yanking it over the left-center field wall. Honestly, it was reminiscent of Bo Jackson. The Nationals need to find space for this guy in the lineup. Clearly, he's overcome those spring training difficulties. Even entering today, he had a .375 batting average, and he's already 2-for-3 against Moyer.

Among the other notes so far...

* Cristian Guzman is already 3-for-3. Yes, he has SIX multi-hit games so far this year. In seven games. I believe he's got even more multi-hit games than Emilio Bonifacio, who had five at last check.

* The Nats are 3-for-8 with RISP.

* Anderson Hernandez has made two fielding errors at second in his first game back.

* Only one of Cabrera's four runs was earned. He's out after five; Julian Tavarez will replace him.

By Chico Harlan  |  April 13, 2009; 4:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Post Your Game Thoughts/Rants Here
Next: Eighth Inning: Phils 9, Nats 6

Comments

They took out Cabrera before the inevitable implosion? Good call.

Posted by: TimDz | April 13, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

folks, sorry to leave you hanging so long on a thread for game updates. i had to finish the kalas reporting. but now i've got my sights on this one. looks like we're shaping up for a good finish.

final line on cabrera: 5 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR. He threw 95 pitches, 55 strikes.

Posted by: Chico Harlan | April 13, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Big difference on managerial styles. Moyer hit in top of 6th despite 90+ pitches and a man on with 1 out.

Cabrera pulled after 95 pitches despite being the 2nd man for the bottom half of the inning.

I'm surprised both that Cabrera didn't start the 6th and that Moyer hit. Moyer will be over 100 by the end of the 6th.

Posted by: hoo93 | April 13, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is a beast. Let's see if we can trade Milledge to the Padres for Hill....

Or at least for a Little League second baseman.

Posted by: kevinx | April 13, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Game. Over.

Posted by: FloresFan | April 13, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

ridiculous...

Posted by: woojai | April 13, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I am now convinced they are going to loose all 182 games this year. How did they get worse this year?

Posted by: mastroj | April 13, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

182 would be a feat since they play only 162

Posted by: BillyBeane | April 13, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

182 would be a feat since they play only 162

Posted by: BillyBeane | April 13, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------

I have faith they could still manage it...

Posted by: soundbloke | April 13, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

How did they get worse? Their staff ace is John Lannan and the most experienced pitcher is Daniel Cabrera...

Last year, Tim Redding, Odalis Perez et al were at least somewhat dependable...

Posted by: woojai | April 13, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Man.

I know it's early. I know 0-7 is not necessarily a portent. I know teams have overcome worse.

But I'm really sick of this crap, and I don't think I have the patience for another 2008.

At least the team has saved me $130. There's no way I'm paying for Extra Innings this year.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 13, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

That being said, Guzman is unconscious.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 13, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, Stan tells us free agent pitching doesn't pay. I don't know what chart he got that off but he can feel free to roll that chart up, light it and smoke it between the lips you never kiss with.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 13, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

These are the times that try men's souls . . .

Posted by: lowcountry | April 13, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

lol, 182 games! Yeah, that be pretty amazing. DUNN!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 13, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

2-run homer by Dunn. 8-6 now.

Posted by: FloresFan | April 13, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skippy1999 | April 13, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"Um, why exactly did Tavarez get taken out? He is the only relief pitcher semi-reliable right now."

Because Manny is a breathtakingly atrocious game manager. I thought that was clear to everyone by now.

Posted by: RickFelt | April 13, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I am never one to be critical of managers to the point where I would say they need to be let go, but bringing in Rivera today in the 7th when the Phillies had all those talented lefties coming up may have been the point where I say you know what, maybe Manny has outlived his time here. The whole reason to keep three lefties in the pen was precisely for situations exactly like this, or at least that's what they told us. Of course, they also said Rivera is the 7th inning guy, which is awesome if the game plays into that strategy, but clearly this one did not.
I don't generally have a problem with managers going with their gut, but when you do that, your gut has to be right way more often than it's wrong. Add that to the appearance of a laissez-faire attitude and players who don't appear to be making any strides forward, and I think it might be for the best to just cut the cord and see if Riggleman can bring something different to the table.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | April 13, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The 182 was a typo but it feels like they could somehow manage to do it. It just makes me so sad. I remember being so excited the first year they came to Washington but since then it has been nothing but bad on top of bad with a bad cherry on top.

Posted by: mastroj | April 13, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, we would have the lead if not for the three errors.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 13, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skippy1999 | April 13, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------

Listen, you don't lose 182 games by thinking like that!

Posted by: soundbloke | April 13, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I tell you, folks, Papa Lerner has somehow managed to clone the 1950s Senators. They're playing in new uniforms in a new stadium, but I swear I've seen all this before. It's the same crew.

Posted by: JohnRDC | April 13, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of the Nats being the butt of all jokes in the MLB. Did anyone catch Mike & Mike in the morning on ESPN2 today? They were like "the Nats were the worst team last year, this year they're the only team that is winless, are they still the worst team?" Buster Olney said an emphatic "Yeah!" Then they joke about how Obama didn't want to throw out the first pitch cause the Nats suck, but really I think he is "busy." And then last year's joke "you've been traded to the Washington Nationals..." Don't get me wrong, I love having a team, and I still love this team, but it's so darn frustrating.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 13, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm worried. I went to the home opener today and just like Kevin Costner in the movie "Field of Dreams", I too had a dialed-in moment when the scoreboard secretly revealed the following stats:
"Baltimore Orioles/1988/0-21 start/Cal Sr. fired."
Step inside the VW bus and flash forward 21 years. Is 0-21 coming 'round again? Is Manny A the new Cal Sr.?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | April 13, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse