Tonight's Lineups

Dukes - 8
Kearns - 9
Flores - 2
Gonzalez - 6
Martis - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  April 21, 2009; 4:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beimel to DL; Rivera Recalled
Next: The Rain Goes Away, Saul Comes Back, Etc.

Comments

I'd like to see Willinghammer get more starts.

Posted by: trezmartin | April 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Me too. Maybe in a Braves uniform.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez and Gonzalez are automatic outs and Gonzalez is a disaster at SS. Too bad the Nats were too cheap to sign Orlando Hudson, who is hitting a ton for the first place Dodgers.

Posted by: bupbups | April 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Can anybody tell me what that song is that plays when Alberto Gonzalez comes to the plate? And the one that plays when Hanrahan comes in the game?

Posted by: natsfan13 | April 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

""How about just sacrificing the statues?"

That could work. Upon his first viewing of them, my husband suggested some judicious torch application could have thinned out the lumpy lines representing action. That would fit right in with the whole pitchforks and torches thing."

As Jerry Seinfeld once said, a lot of that will just buff right out.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

i wouldn't worry about Gonzalezs defense. He was touted as one of the top defensive prospects in the minors for years. He'll come around, and he DP combination has looked really good lately.

Posted by: soundbloke | April 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Just heard about Beimel; damn,damn,Damn! hammies,calves,quads,hip flexor's i mean does this come from not being in shape or lack of proper conditioning during the offseason? in every sport you've got highly paid athlete's pulling,straining,or injuring certain muscles and i think its because they are not in shape and don't do anything when they are off it is one my biggest pet peeves concerning pro players.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I wd like to know what all the players' songs are--at least the songs I like. I think they ought to put the info on the Web site.
Too much negativity for my taste in responses to the previous post. When I read about Beimel and Rivera, I thought it sounded like a bad joke. In any case, it isn't going to help the team for us to be unsupportive of Rivera. How many of us bloggers have jobs like theirs? If I screw up at work, I don't have tens of thousands of people groaning (or worse). I don't mean to excuse bad performance, but Saul was a big contributor to the club for a long time. I just hope he can get it back.
That said, I think I agree with some friends who think that the manager should pull ASAP any reliever who walks the *first* batter or hits the batter. Of course that assumes there's someone to serve as substitute.
I sure hope Beimel is a quick healer. What a loss!

Posted by: Section109 | April 21, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

"Now if I could just keep myself from going into the team store after games.... :-)"

I accomplish that by going into the team store BEFORE games.

"in every sport you've got highly paid athlete's pulling,straining,or injuring certain muscles and i think its because they are not in shape and don't do anything when they are off it is one my biggest pet peeves concerning pro players."

Well, then I guess in Beimel's case we can't pin any blame on the Nats training staff, since he wasn't even their property til right before Spring Training.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 21, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I severely pulled my hamstring back in the days I was still playing ultimate frisbee. Believe me, I was not out of shape. It's a sport, you're running, things happen. Hell, there are injuries that happen with nobody within 10 feet of the injured person. Life sucks. Deal with it.

Posted by: swang30 | April 21, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@natsfan13

hanrahan's theme song should be "fire" by the ohio players.

Posted by: surly_w | April 21, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

natsfan13 -
Joel Hanrahan's song is "Hillybilly Deluxe" by Brooks & Dunn. You can listen/watch video at

Posted by: ilovethenats | April 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I go to the team store both before and after games.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 21, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back in the larger universe, Wilbon just called the "Natinals" the worst franchise in baseball (uniform spelling, Dukes fine, 2-10 record), and arguably in all of sports, competing with the Detroit Lions and L.A. Clippers. On natinal television. Nice.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | April 21, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Not sure I would've traded the draft pick for Hudson. If he could play SS and be a long reliever maybe...

Posted by: softballgirl | April 21, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Remember...Wilbon lives in Arizona.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 21, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

i skip the team store and shop fornats gear at modell's.

Posted by: surly_w | April 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

How is Wilbon wrong?

Posted by: comish4lif | April 21, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Sad truth is, as it stands now, I think Wilbon is right.

Posted by: rawk | April 21, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I like Wilbon, but how he's wrong is by making mountains out of mole hills (the jersey typos; the Dukes fine) and making too much of a 2-10 start for a Nationals team that's significantly improved over the previous years'.

And the Nats have quite a way to go before we can even think about challenging the futility of the Lions, Royals, Pirates (16 straight losing seasons), et al.

It's a long freaking season. Chill.

Posted by: joebleux | April 21, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

ESPN site saying game called tonight. Confirmation??

Posted by: Kev29 | April 21, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

It's raining outside my office window in Crystal City. Good omen?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 21, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon! That was very dick of you.

Posted by: 6thandD | April 21, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarp is being removed.

Posted by: HALjr | April 21, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

i thought Hanrahan's song was by Prodigy "Fire Starter"?

Posted by: eddiepanic | April 21, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"How is Wilbon wrong?"

His Arizona residency has turned him into a Cardinals homer, completely blinding him to their many sins. Plus he experiences the total self-loathing characteristic of all Washington media types. They live and work inside the Beltway, but they hate themselves for that. So everything inside the Beltway is automatically Worst. Whatever. Ever. with them.

Exhibit B on that: Chico Harlan.

Posted by: nunof1 | April 21, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I stopped caring about what Wilbon thought about the Nats a long time ago. Actually, I never did care.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | April 21, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about Wilbon. He's just trying to be provocative, there is no substance to anything he says about baseball.

Hanrahan's song: Putting out Fire with Gasoline -- David Bowie

Posted by: dfh21 | April 21, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is taking the exaggerated mainstream stance on the team. Big deal. Only his reaction to Sean Taylor's death made me dislike him - but I digress.

The club will get more respect and benefit of the doubt when they earn it. As fans, we're hoping that the Lerners are paying attention and can make that happen.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 21, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon may live in Arizona, work in D.C., but he is a Chicago native and fan of everything there.

Posted by: cokedispatch | April 21, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

nunof1, I think you like to argue for arguement sake. You are fine to disagree, but at least read my posts before replying. Seriously, I don't know you. Why are you trying to pick an argument.
Posted by: ricandersen | April 21, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

ric: you may be a bit new to the group; nunof1 has oneof1 raison d'etre, and that is to argue. tho dysfunctional, he dazzles us all with his intellect. doubt the intellectual superiority? just ask him. he'll tell you

Posted by: nova_g_man | April 21, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! Modell's is garbage! I keep expecting it to be better each time I go in and each time I'm disappointed. It may just be the one near me but it's flat awful.

Cluttered
Unorganized
Terrible selection
Uninterested and uniformed staff

As much as I dislike Dick's, it blows the doors off of Modells

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i skip the team store and shop fornats gear at modell's.

Posted by: surly_w | April 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RicketyCricket | April 21, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@Hal

Does it look like the game is about to get started?

Posted by: dcsportsfan13 | April 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Folks:

Wilbon's (& Kornholio's, for that matter) statements on PTI are meant to be outragious & inflammitory. They're moving a product (their show) through various media (TV/Radio/Internet). The more "hits" or "sound-bites" they get, the longer their product survives, regardless of what they may think (or in Wilbon's case, actually write) about a given team.

Mike Wilbon is still an excellent sports columnist and on-line contributor for the Washington Post with his Columns & weekly on-line sessions; anything he does with ESPN has to be viewed as completely separate from his writing.

Let's be honest, the Nationals have made some press-worthy mistakes over the last couple of weeks; To those of us who love the team, it might seem like "piling-on" from a local writer - It's not. It's simply a media persona expressing an opinion.

Posted by: BinM | April 21, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

wilbon barely has dc on his sports radar and i thank him that

Posted by: bford1kb | April 21, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse