Friday's Mid-Day Reading

It's a short list today; your editor is sleepy after simultaneously watching the Bulls-Celtics, the Nats and "Bull Durham" in what was -- for her -- the wee hours of last night. All three ended pretty much as expected.

Before I forget, here's Ann Hornaday's review of "Sugar," which, if you missed my early remark, Ann LOVED. I had the review disk on my desk for a few glorious hours but failed to watch it before it had to go back to Style. So fishy, I can't tell you if Rijo has found a second career. Looking forward to the reviews I know will come in from NJ readers.

Jim Caple has a great piece; this might have been mentioned in the comments yesterday so if I'm overtracking I apologize. Hectic day Thursday with EGR's goodbye and I wasn't able to keep up with everything.

Perhaps the Nats are suffering under the Curse of Heinie Zimmerman? Until all the Black Sox are pardoned, no Zimmerman can win a World Series (insert eerie music here). Or something like that. Except surely there have been Zimmermans on World Series rosters since 1919, right?

Hmmmm, can't find one.

Dave Sheinin's latest installment of "When It Clicked" is on Eddie Guadardo of the Rangers. Also coming this afternoon on Baseball Insider are pieces on attendance (Nats and Tigers have the worst April numbers, for what I think are very different reasons) and Emmanuel Burriss, so stop in over there this afternoon if you have a moment.

The LA Times says Forbes says Dodgers-Giants is the best rivalry in baseball. Really? Say, if it's 1955, shouldn't gas be cheaper?

Here's Brian Oliver with the farm report.

The forecast for tonight's game seems to be a mixed bag. But I'd take an umbrella...

By Tracee Hamilton  |  May 1, 2009; 1:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Five Wins, Five Questions
Next: Friday Night's Lineups

Comments

Tracee

Catcher Jerry Zimmerman was on the Minnesota Twins' 1965 World Series roster. The Griffith Absconders lost the series to the Dodgers 4 games to 3. Interestingly, the Twins have won two World Series despite never having won a WS game on the road, 0-9.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"Hectic day Thursday with EGR's goodbye and I wasn't able to keep up with everything. "

Nice of them to not invite me. I certainly would have erupted into a loud cheer for him. Well, not really for him but for his departure. He could have pretended I was cheering for him if he wanted to, though. I wouldn't care, because I'm just glad to see him gone. Enjoy supervising the obituary page, Emilio. You'll find that the dead won't complain, but their survivors will make pissed off sports fans look tame in comparison. Hmmm, maybe there is something to this whole karma thing after all.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"Say, if it's 1955, shouldn't gas be cheaper?"

HA! Best line I've read all day! Joining the chorus of Tracee for MVP.

Posted by: Aterio | May 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree 1000 percent. The radio guys are so far ahead of Carpenter and Dribble it's almost laughable.
Posted by: randy_boyd

Although I never listen to the radio, I don't doubt it. But personally I do like Dibble better than Sutton. He was such an apologist. At least Dibble tries to tell it like it is. He layed into Cabrera last night and said the guy basically should not be pitching at the major league level.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 1, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

leetee has already broken the curse. Nice work! And thanks, Aterio! I mean, Giants-Dodgers? Really?

Posted by: traceeh | May 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

BTW - gas was 23 cents a gallon the year I was born.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Still behind on Nats reading here but can I nominate Tracee for Post of the Day? (JiM?)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"may I" nominate (thank you, ghost of my fourth grade teacher)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@JohninMpls: Thanks for seconding my nomination of Tracee as Our MVP. She's even got me THINKING about going to see her rave movie Sugar even though it's been years since I darkened a theatre. Do these flicks have sound these days?

If all the NJ'ers could get together in a stadium, I could hear it now: "TRA-CEE, TRA-CEE, TRA-CEE..."

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 1, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the comments on Dibble. He has been a nice surprise to give his honest assessment on this team -- especially the bullpen.

Posted by: janus4444 | May 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

You guys and gals are giddy today.

Since we are talking about Dibble, I will say this: I didn't expect to like him and I find that I do. He was doing several difference "voices" the other night -- think it was Wednesday -- and it was hilarious.

Posted by: traceeh | May 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Can and may, 1a. I came here to do just that. Aterio's right - that's the best thing I've read all day.

So, jd, your earlier response was nominated for Post of the Day, but lost out to the subject of your post, Tracee, who has the actual Post of the Day. Still, pretty good company, I'd say.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Ding-Dong the witch is dead, long live EGR.

EGR baseball hater extordinaire!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Punch drunk, Tracee.

I wonder what we'll look like come July...

-----

You guys and gals are giddy today.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"I am still in shock that I STILL can't get MASN2 on my cable. Or so they say. True story: I called Cox and asked if I could add it and the guy said, "I don't know, what channel is it on?" If only I knew, dude... "

Tracee, if you have Cox in Fairfax MASN2 is on channel 74. But only when the game is on. At all other times, MASN2 does not exist and channel 74 is something else.

People (including and especially those within MASN) keep talking about MASN2 as if it's a real channel. It's not. It just appears out of nowhere when the game is on and disappears as soon as it's over. Like Brigadoon, only not as happy because it's the Nats game that's on after all.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

D'oh! That sounds a lot like the cable guy on the Verizon commercials, Tracee. You might be able to go to the MASN site and get info on the channel for your provider in your area.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

How are things in Glocca Mora, nunof?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

On second thought, wrong movie. Never mind. 1a/Emily Litella.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Tracee

Here on the north shore of the Potomac River, MASN2 shares the channel with C-SPAN's Senate coverage. It is only MASN2 when both the Nats and AngelO's are playing at the same time. Otherwise, it's BookTV when the Senate isn't in session.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: traceeh | May 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Link to MASN cable provider chart (which was updated today, evidently):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"ah, that advice helps. i'll make another call. or better still, check first to make sure i get it. i must admit, 74 is not on my current trolling list."

It wouldn't be on mine either (likewise 102 which is MASN) except that MASN is too cheap to do all 162 Nats games in HD. Those are literally the only two standard definition channels I ever watch.

Also, whenever MASN2 is carrying an Orioles game I'm not even sure those are shown on Cox Fairfax. I've never looked to find out. I will watch an O's game if nothing else is on, but only in HD.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Heinie Zimmerman played for the New York Giants in 1919, and couldn't be a member of the Black Sox or have been in the 1919 Series.

However, he was banned for life for gambling activities.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | May 1, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, deMille! My curse theory is just shot to heck.

Posted by: traceeh | May 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VladiHondo | May 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

DeMille, will you be at the game Thursday Next?

Posted by: Traveler8 | May 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Interesting MLB.com piece about the Nats that isn't Ladson (I know that is a redundant statement):

Posted by: wigi | May 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Heinie Zimmy was a Cub and on the '08 team, so shouldn't that be until all Goat Curses are removed no Zimmy can be in the WS?"

HZimmerman played in the 1907, 1910 and 1917 WS, missing the 1908 series entirely. So, no, it doesn't apply.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | May 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"(insert eerie music here)"

Posted by: NatsNut | May 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I always liked the drama prairie dog, but this is classic eerie music, IMO:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

EGR went by the logic that if 80% (or insert your own percentage here) of the noise was generated by Skins fans, then we would get 80% Redskins coverage. Maybe we will now get some balance. And why are the oldest, most predictable writers still the main columnists?

Posted by: paulkp | May 1, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

OK, I know I'm out of the loop but I have to ask for those of us (or maybe just me) who don't know who EGR is/was.

Posted by: pwelshans | May 1, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse