Friday Afternoon Reading

Thanks again to everyone who helped expand my musical horizons yesterday! Dave showed up in the office a little bit ago with some CDs for me, so that'll get me started. Then it's on to iTunes.

Zach Berman's got Nats duty today and tomorrow. I'd planned to give these Chico these two days off at the end of the road trip anyway, so he is staying in Pittsburgh to be with his family. He'll rejoin us on Sunday.

Scott Olsen is going to be at the ESPN Zone (555 12th St. NW) Monday from noon to 1 p.m. to answer questions from fans. Charlie Slowes will moderate. Fans in attendance will have the opportunity to win tickets to an upcoming Nationals game.

Kirk Kenney reports that Stephen Strasburg has a merely human first inning before improving to 12-0.

Jack Donaghy had the best line on "30 Rock" last night. He's telling his newfound dad that he has tickets to the Yankees (and I'm paraphrasing here because I wasn't taking notes): "I've got great seats in the section between the Yankees' wives and the Yankees' mistresses. I don't go on 'Bat Day.' "

Not sure if this qualifies as good news or bad news. The good news is, if you want to be in a Nats commercial, here's your chance. The bad news is, there are more of these awful commercials coming our way.

Nice article about The Streak by Craig Brown on the Hardball Times.

You'll see Jimmy Rollins batting leadoff tonight for the Phillies.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  May 15, 2009; 12:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why the Nats Are Still Worth Watching
Next: Flores on DL; Colome, Bard Called Up; Kensing DfA

Comments

The Hardball Times piece was interesting, though some parts of it induced the MEGO (My Eyes Glaze Over) effect for me. But maybe I just need to have another cuppa joe.

I guess that I'm the only one who thinks the MASN fan commercials are kinda cute. I thought unintentionally funny ones where they showed a Nats player looming in the foreground with the announcer ominously intoning things like "Levale Speigner takes the mound, and he's packing heat. What are you going to do now, Albert Poo-holes?" were worse. Or the ones that featured a player who ended up injured or DFAed not far into the season.

That was a good line, especially the bat day part.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of unintentionally funny MASN commercials, the Milledge haiku one comes immediately to mind. I wonder why they're not showing that one any more?

Posted by: section417planD | May 15, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree, 1a1, that those were worse, at least.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The MASN commercials are not that bad. They are just played over and over and over and then they get tedious. Because they are not that good...

Posted by: comish4lif | May 15, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I could give them any of several "defining moments"--like the time Frank gave me the "get lost" wave--but somehow I doubt they'd use them.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Milledge breaks finger
His career has been derailed
See you next season

Posted by: NFBLooser | May 15, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

When Ronnie hit the walkoff against the Os last year it went about 14 inches over my outstretched hand. I think the commercials are ok except the one that steals my moment - poorly.

Posted by: nattaboy | May 15, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I'd love to do one about the bouncing stands at RFK; or Vinnie going full out for foul popups, his knees one wrong step from needing a new line of work; about singing "Hail to the Chief" apparently to the tune of "King Nothing," Cordero's entrance music; trying to get fans in section 420 to chant "We're from the government--we're here to help!" during rallies (no sensa humor, those yuppies); about ranting myself hoarse in Philly for Wilkerson's cycle, my boss's-boss's-boss trying to act like he wasn't with me, in the next seat...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

green replaces pink
"Oooh"s and "ahh"s fall, discarded.
Millz to Syracuse.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

John Lannan really struck out Mark Teixeira one time in a game? And Chipper went 0 fer 4? Seriously??? That's amazing! (sorry, Miss Chatter)

The commercials are awful in part because the defining moments are so ridiculous. Elijah Dukes! Career Day! Elijah Dukes!

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 15, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get that, but natsfan1c and I once got the "looking right through you" stare from him.

---

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 1:36 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Proudest moment of my baseball life, 1a--I got blown off by Frank Robinson!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget "SEVEN strikeouts! In the same game!!1!"

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I could come up with a bunch of RFK moments, too. About my husband trying to pretend that he didn't know me or my Chicago baseball buddy, or about him trying to tell me that I was on the JumboTron. About trying to get the fans in whatever section of the upper deck we were perched in to chant ANYthing. About Patterson's complete game and Wilky's granny. About the time we were laughing, chatting, and walking down the ramps after the game and suddenly realized that we'd headed into team territory behind the scenes (Hey, that guy looks a lot like Frank. Uh oh.). Ahhh, good times.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, we had this discussion already, several weeks ago, but as annoying as the commercials are, I finally realized they aren't pitching to ME (or most of us here). They're for the casual fan, on whom such subtleties are lost. (Sorry, MsChatter, but dissing John Smoltz is over the line.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Me, too, sofa king! :-D

---

Proudest moment of my baseball life, 1a--I got blown off by Frank Robinson!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:03 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

They wouldn't let me do one for old Busch Stadium, either, I suppose. I was in St. Louis for a conference, and went alone. Youngish couple sit next to me, he goes for food, she's sitting next to me. While he's gone, the Kiss Cam started up between innings. We glanced at each other for just a second .... naaaaaaah.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

would've been way too much 'splainin to do, there.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

from last post...

@Tippy

one of the reasons the post is not supportive of the nats is because its former longtime sports editor george solomon was in angelos's pocket about not having a team in dc. solomon was seen on several occassions in mr. peter's private box during o's games and the times, not the post, was the newspaper advocating the return of baseball to the nation's capital. the post also didn;t want to lose the handful of subscribers it had in howard and anne arundel counties which is why until last year the paper covered the birds like a home team.

Posted by: surly_w | May 15, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

LOL! That's a good one. My husband and I never got to be on the Kiss Cam, and we'd preplanned our shtick and everything. Bummer.

There was also the time that my baseball buddy and I had picked up a bunch of All-Star ballots at the game the night before, and we pre-punched a bunch of them before that day's game (boy, were our hands tired). We tried to offer sample ballots to people as they entered the stadium, but we didn't have any takers.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Haha, we should flood the MASN commercials with bad defining moments, but do it in the same over-enthusiastic, faux-chummy style.

"It's the middle of a losing streak after a big opening day game at the new park... but Manny Acta's got a surprise up his sleeve! My hombre, Felipe Lopez, in left field! Now that's what *I* call hustle!"

Posted by: Section506 | May 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"We tried to offer sample ballots to people as they entered the stadium, but we didn't have any takers. "

Ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: Section506 | May 15, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll go out on a limb. Although I do think they are over exposed, I do like the MASN commecials. They may not be aimed at people like us, but I think they may be done by people exactly like us... fans with a passion for the game that causes their special moments to be frozen for all time. They each made me smile the first couple of times I saw them.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 15, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

funniest thing I've read here in many weeks.

***********
I wish the Nats would play "Riders on the Storm" during the Seventh Inning on a Sunday sometime, just to confuse everyone.

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 5:47 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The thing about the MASN Moments commercials is that most of them sound like they are by people who were at the games when they happened. So like, what does that have to do with MASN? Who needs TV when you have real life?

Posted by: twinbrook | May 15, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

My favorite is the Nieves memory which says something to the effect of "15 years and not one major league homerun"; thus implying that he's been in the bigs for 15 years.

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 15, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I went to my first game at the new stadium last year and had a great seat in a skybox above the visiting dugout. My business partner and I decided to walk around see the new stadium. We stopped for food in the outfield (figured we'd buy some food even though the box had a catered buffet) and walked over to the area under the scoreboard to eat our food and watch the game.

The entire section was completely empty, so we decided to sit down while we enjoyed our meal. A stadium security person came over and rudely told us to leave since we did not have tickets for those seats. We explained that our actual seats were much more expensive and we were just sitting there while we ate. The guy rudely dismissed us and threatened to have us ejected from the stadium.

We left those seats and we have both left the stadium for good after that game. I prefer to not be hassled by security. It's a shame that someone at the bottom of the ladder for the Nationals organization ruined our experience, I'm sure we're not the only ones that have been driven away by overzealous ushers. We both had been considering buying season packages (I have 5 kids and he has 2) and as business executives who can afford tickets, that's a lot of lost sales. (And in case you were wondering, neither of us had drunk any alcohol when this happened.)

Posted by: captclamdigger | May 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

__________________________

A couple of weeks ago I saw the same thing happen in an empty section in the 10th inning of a game. In general, people shouldn't insist on a right to sit in a seat they don't have a ticket for, but sometimes it's just ridiculous to hassle customers.

I wouldn't blame the usher. It appears they are under instructions to be strict and may get chewed out or lose their jobs if they're not. Some of them don't have great people skills, but then neither do a lot of people I've met with much better jobs and fancier educations.

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 15, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@Section506 or Sec3mysofa--could you please explain this to me?
-------
funniest thing I've read here in many weeks.

***********

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 5:47 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:29 PM

Posted by: Section109 | May 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

FYI: On CNNSI

Rules bar Nats from what might be their best option with Strasburg

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 15, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Great idea, 506! Dibs on D. Young falling down trying to catch a popup and then rolling around on the turf.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Tim Marchman, it's a b*tch that the Nats have to draft and sign Strasburg themselves instead of trading the pick for an entire team's worth of MLB players. But them's the rules, you gotta live with them.

Why don't you write a column about how it's such a b*tch that the Nationals can't end all their games after eight innings so they could win a few more of them? That would make about as much sense as the column you wrote. What a waste of bandwidth you are.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh. Man. I read the Marchman SI piece. He just HAD to bring up the Bartolo Colon trade. Dude.

Posted by: Section220 | May 15, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Albert Poo-holes? Bill Simmons wife picked that one up in 2004. Time for the obligatory Bevis and Butthead "heh, heh."

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | May 15, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

ha ha! whatever we do we shouldn't take the best player! no way can he help us because we suck so bad!

maybe he regrets mark prior big time. but i feel dumber having read that article.

Posted by: longterm | May 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Tracee had an anecdote about Albert some days ago. My Chicago baseball buddy and I have also been on that one for some years, jca.

Also, some new posts up. Sigh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Surly W - thanks for the info on the post - was there ever a worse column than the Sunday garbage that Solomon put out? So glad he is gone but I still wish the Post was a little more positive towards our Nationals

Posted by: sjm3091 | May 15, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

For the record, the fans didn't write the commercials or pick the ones they did :-) When I saw I had to diss Smoltz, I got a little uncomfy feeling in my belly. But it was fun!

Posted by: misschatter | May 16, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse