Detwiler Earns A Second Start

When Ross Detwiler arrived at Nationals Park today, he knew almost nothing about his next destination. Would the Washington Nationals return him to Class AA Harrisburg? Ship him to Class AAA Syracuse? Detwiler, at the stadium, did some running drills, worked out, and waited for the word.

Only then did the 23-year-old, who started his first big league game on Monday, learn that he'd get the chance at another -- Saturday against the Orioles. By throwing strikes, showing composure, and delivering five efficient innings, Detwiler compelled the Nationals to elongate his major league stint. The left-hander still doesn't have a fixed spot in the rotation -- "It's start-to-start," acting general manager Mike Rizzo said -- but if nothing else, Detwiler has secured one sign of permanence. Today, a nameplate (absent a day earlier) hung above his clubhouse locker.

When the Nationals recalled Detwiler from Class AA, in need of a replacement for the injured Scott Olsen, they planned on a one-start cameo. That Detwiler received even that much registered as a surprise, given his uneven performance in 2008 with Class A Potomac and his control problems this spring training.

But Detwiler, both in his six 2009 minor league starts and in Monday's game against the Pirates, has shown vast improvement. The kind that has forced Washington to consider an accelerated plan for its 2007 first-rounder.

"Just thinking about the guy we saw in spring training and the guy [on Monday], yeah, [I'm surprised]," Acta said. "Because he had very good command compared to what we saw in spring training."

Asked to pinpoint the key to his progress, Detwiler said, "I think really just relaxing. Trying to throw strikes, and not trying to pitch away from contact." Detwiler admitted that last year "I really think I got out of my own head."

But several coaches, including Potomac pitching coach Randy Tomlin and then-Potomac Manager Randy Knorr offered advice. Recalled Detwiler: "Randy Knorr pulled me aside a few times last year and tried to get me to settle down and really understand what the game is about -- not trying your hardest, necessarily, but going out and trying just hard enough. Like I was doing in spring training, I was trying too hard and couldn't throw a strike."

Monday, Detwiler threw 61 strikes on 84 pitches. He walked nobody. He obeyed the team's most basic request, showing the kind of aggressiveness that few others on the staff have matched.

So what determines how long Detwiler remains in the big leagues?

"It's not whether he gives up two or less runs or three or less runs or whatever," Rizzo said. "It's how we perceive -- he needs to develop. He's still in the developmental process. We don't want him to hit a snag. If he hits a snag, we'll put him back in Class AAA and use this as a stepping-stone and work his way up. Because he's well ahead of my perceived schedule for him."

Outfielders Austin Kearns (hand) and Elijah Dukes (hamstring) were again held from the starting lineup today. But Kearns believes he'll be ready for everyday action by tomorrow. Dukes, with limited mobility, is available as a pinch-hitter.

Here is the Pirates' lineup (omitted earlier)

Morgan - 7
Sanchez - 4
McLouth - 8
Ad. LaRoche - 3
Moss - 9
An. LaRoche - 5
Jaramillo - 2
Wilson - 6
Karstens - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  May 19, 2009; 6:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Nats Park
Next: Dukes DL'd, Cintron DFA'd; Maxwell And Bergmann Recalled

Comments

I posted my views about why I think this is a mistake in the prior post. But Chico, in light of this post, I would be interested to hear the answer to a follow-up question, if you have a chance or perhaps you have already asked it: if Rizzo (rightly) believes that Detwiler needs to develop, why does he currently believe that Detwiler can develop better in the big leagues than he could in the minors?

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 19, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Okay ladies and gents. Shairon is on the hill. Time to get a win. Tonight is the night.

Go Nats!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Rough start. Lead-off double.
Not a problem. Let's go Shairon.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping for a complete game. That dream might have died after 3 pitches. Hopefully he can pull it together!

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 19, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Man, we need a double play.

CiL: Why is it so bad to keep Detwiler in the bigs while Olsen is on the DL? We need someone to start in Olsen's spot; it may as well be RD. And like Rizzo says, it's a brief stop on his way (most likely) to Syracuse.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This looks like a Zimmermann 1st inning.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I think Shairon might have been hanging out in the bullpen since his last start.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 19, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Martis has caught whatever disease is plaguing the bullpen. Not good. The only out has come on a good catch by Adam Dunn in RF.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

and Willie has been hanging out with our infielders too much...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

We look uninspired. Come on Nats. Want it!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Is he jealous of Cabrera's wild pitch record?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 19, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Martis is not going to be 6-0 after tonight.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Now, this is different: we're down five runs before the bullpen pyrotechnics. We look absolutely beat. Manny must go.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 19, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Although the Nats appear to be struggling, we must keep in mind they are playing a fearsome juggernaut in the Pittsburgh Pirates. They will make the Nats look bad....

Oh wait. It's Pittsburgh. My bad. The Nats really do stink.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I saved my money and stayed home. This will be my motto, all season long.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Our offense must be running late tonight.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Chico,
Can you call out Manny on his "Changes are coming" rant... I see the same old.. same old...

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 19, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

usmc, I don't think you can look at it from the perspective of "the Nats need someone to start in Olsen's spot." It's always going to be the case that a team needs more than 5 starters to get through the season. Last season, the Nats used 11 starters; the Mets used 13; the Marlins used 11; the Braves used 11; the Phillies, amazingly, used only 7. The point is, you are going to need to fill rotation spots at one point or another. So assuming that kind of need, for how long, and how many different times, is Detwiler the fill-in, call-up starter? And if it's going to be a different guy next time, why is it Detwiler this time?

For the Nats, this season is obviously not about winning at all costs. In my view, the Nats' only priority for a guy like Detwiler this season has to be his long-term development. So the question becomes, as he develops is it better for him to be here, or in the minors? However brief his stop up here is, I think you need to ask that question. Rizzo agrees that he needs to develop. Very rarely is it the case that a guy can develop best at the big-league level--because the talent of the hitters is so good, they can't experiment as easily and learn how to adjust, they don't learn how to get out of jams, and they don't learn how to pitch deep into games. Often, they either get shelled, or they get babied (as Detwiler did last night). Neither is very beneficial to development. Granted, eventually Detwiler will (hopefully) need to do all of that against big-league hitters, but having learned to do that at the minor league level first, and shown that he can dominate at the minor league level (which he never has done), is an important step and building block, and a past experience that he would be able to draw on when he eventually comes up.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 19, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@Coverage: Short version: We need somebody to start Saturday. Might as well be Det.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 19, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Right, jd. We'll be dfa'ing Cabrera soon and will need another starter. Might as well be Detwiler, right? Why not?

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 19, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Pinch-hitting for Martis (w/2 out) in the 6th - NNNNNN-OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

Posted by: BinM | May 19, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Guz walks again! Two games in a row!!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

and, right on cue, there's the double-play...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

There is no reason these guys can't develop in the majors. When you look at the pitching as it is now, the young pitchers have and the Nationals, have no choice.

Having seen many of these guys at Potomac, I can tell you that they are not so fragile, excepting Detwiler, that they couldn't deal with early set backs in the majors.

If you want to see a pitcher who is having difficulties in handling adversity, look at Cabrera. In the fifth inning of Saturday's game, he was a beaten man. He was defeated physcially and emotionally.

I just can't see how the Nationals can keep Cabrera for another start. He has nothing and now, he doesn't even have the will to pitch. I'm almost certain, he's seen his last days as a National.

Posted by: jeffreyt211 | May 19, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Manny bunts. He must be feeling the heat.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 19, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

If AK doesn't come through here, I'd DFA him tomorrow.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 19, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so close!!!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

bye-bye AK. Write when you get work.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 19, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming (late innings, opening the floodgates).

Posted by: BinM | May 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

and you would DFA him because of one at bat? way to show that you're smarter than Manny.

Posted by: swang30 | May 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Hmm. Pirates have not had a baserunner since the third inning. Not bad. Now if we can score with the top of the order coming up in the ninth, this will be a good game!

Posted by: BGinVA | May 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Beimel is in. I'm nervous. He hasn't been the same since the injury.

Come on Joe.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

While showing Dunn's parents in the crowd, Carpenter comments that Kearns's wife and father are sitting behind the Dunns. "You can see the family resemblance," Carpenter notes.

"Yeah," Dibble quips, "I've seen Austin pickin' his ear before, too."

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 19, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

A walk. This is how the disasters begin.

Come on JOE!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 19, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

There was a moment of trepidation there when Kearns blasted that ball to the warning track. I was afraid we were going to have a lead going into the ninth.

I like our chances tonight . . . we could win the game without needing to depend on the bullpen.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 19, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Way to go NJ!! Thats how to make up for the d.p. earlier

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 19, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead and walk Zimmerman to get to Dunn... I dare you.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 19, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Wild pitch ties it, lovely! Plus, Zim advances to 2nd, killing the chance of any double play. Lets get it!

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 19, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Martis is off the hook. Win or lose, there's at least some justice in that.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 19, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Charley & Dave mentioned a horrific stat - the nationals are 0-78 when trailing after eight innings since 2008. UGH.

Posted by: BinM | May 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Man Beimel is a loser... ever since coming off the DL he has been atrocious.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 19, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

looks like 0-79
sigh

Posted by: swang30 | May 19, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap. More of the same just when the pen had one of its best outings of the season. I had zero doubt this would happen after they failed to drive in the second run in the bottom of the 9th. Shades of last season followed by the disaster that haunts this one. At least they got Martis off the hook 1st. Guh guh guh.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | May 19, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

another wreck of the ol' no. 97. we won't be fooled again.

Posted by: surly_w | May 19, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Alex Cintron up: be careful driving home.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 19, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Why do I bother everynight. Its getting so routine that it is starting not to bother me because I am starting not to care. Thanks Stan. If this was your plan mission accomplished.

Posted by: mastroj | May 19, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

WHY oh WHY is Alex Cintron still on this roster? His batting average is .080!

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | May 19, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought there were going to be changes after last night... I wonder if another blown game will help get this train on the move to Syracuse.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 19, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

20 runs in 2 games against the Pirates. Just say eww.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | May 19, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Dibble nailed it when he noted that Beimel has been a one-inning pitcher over the years. But Manny likes him as a two-inning guy. Guess what happens next. They lose because of it. 11-27 and that idiot still has a job. Incredible. Season's in the tank and May isn't even over yet.

Posted by: Brue | May 19, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

That's it. Change the marketing. No more baseball games to see. It's now a Circus!! Don't come to see a team win... that's old news! Now for your entertainment it's 100 ways a bullpen can blow a game! Come one come all!

They should mix it up. Drop the ticket prices. Put in the bat boys. Put in the ball girls. Put in the concessions fellas! Every night something different!

They might actually make more profit that way...

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | May 19, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Rumor mill:

Cintron DFA'd
Dukes to DL

JMAx and Bergy get called up!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 19, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Not rumor, fact. Was announced at postgame press conference.

Posted by: hats4bats | May 19, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

So I feel bad about being so negative lately, but here I am about to do it again. The food and drink service was so bad at the park tonight that it made me nostalgic for RFK and Aramark. Not only were many of the establishments and carts closed (Senator's Sausage, Nats Dogs, my favorite beer stands, nacho stands, etc....), but the service was exceptionally slow and the lines long. The park was only 1/3 full at best and you had to miss 1.5 innings just to get a beer. I gave up on getting a hot dog. A HOT DOG! I could not get a hot dog at the ball park because you had to miss the game to get one, I wanted my New Castle beer (sorry stand closed) and a sausage of any kind - half smoke, hot dog, italian sausage - and I could not get through the lines. I gave up. (And whatever happened to Steak of the Union. You can't find a decent steak and cheese.)

I tried the new 'The Pit' on Sunday. The meat was not smokey. The only barbecue sauce was a little packet of Kraft BBQ. Yuck.

It seems the on field product is not the only thing area the Nats are failing these days.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss Aramark.

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 19, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

History in the Making!!!

You guys are missing the truly amazing aspect of this.

The Nats have tied a modern baseball record. According to the post this afternoon, since 1954, the longest streak of consecutive losses while scoring five for more runs is six games...done by 2 other teams this decade. The Nats have a chance to smash that record streak tomorrow.

Go, Nats, Go!!!

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, since coming back from the DL, Beimel has only pitched more than 1.0 inning one time (1.2 inning, 0 ER) before tonight. I don't think this is necessarily the problem (he's been so bad, he's not even making it to the second inning Manny wants from him).

Posted by: Brue | May 19, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 19, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Ch-ch-ch-changes...
Bergy and Maxwell being called up.
Dukes to the DL.
Cintron, finally, DFA'd.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 20, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Dibble's point was that Beimel was a lefty specialist before coming to the Nats. Not even a one-inning guy.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

As always (it seems) the posters want to have it both ways. If Acta uses more than one reliever in an inning, he's an idiot. If he leaves Beimel in for two innings, he's an idiot.

It's really easy. If the team loses, then the manager is an idiot -- I get it. There's just one problem from my perspective. This is just too simplistic an explanation. Change managers if you want but I have my doubts these players are going to perform much better. Either the pitchers can throw strikes and get people out or they cannot.

Acta might be contributing, obviously you can always second guess his every move, and there's no way he's going to be right 100% of the time. My refrain remains the same, players win and lose the games, not the manager or the coaches.

The greatest manager of all time would only add 4 or 5 wins to this team. You can try to convince me otherwise but I don't like your chances of success.

Posted by: grforbes | May 20, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

>It's really easy. If the team loses, then the manager is an idiot -- I get it.

Yeah, Acta's not looking too bright right now, huh? Managers lose games. That's a fact. Earl Weaver said it, as have many others - and players win games. Tommy Lasorda: Everybody wins 50, everyone loses 50, it's what you do with the rest of them that counts. And there's no guarantee Acta even wins 50 this year. 11 and friggin 27. Nats FO is so stoopid they'll probably re-sign the donkey.

Posted by: Brue | May 20, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Nats FO is so stoopid they'll probably re-sign the donkey.

Posted by: Brue | May 20, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

Why would that be stupid? Dunn's only 29 and he has contributed to the FotF having a breakout year so far. He's leading the team in homers (on pace for 50), leading the majors in walks, has an OBP that is 150 points higher than his (decent) average, and has even looked a little better on defense (he still loafs a little too much turning singles into doubles, etc).

I think if you lock him up to stay with the team through Zimm's contract - at a decent price, of course - that'd be fine with me. I don't think he'd do it though.

Posted by: combedge | May 20, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

On the basis of an 0-3 record and 2.96 ERA in limited time in the minors in 2009, Detwiler is being rushed to the majors because the team is desperate and too cheap to make a trade to add payroll and improve the staff with a veteran.

What makes this team really awful to watch is how slow it is to respond on the personnel side where deficiencies are allowed to go unaddressed for years.

This team has never posted the fundamentals, ie pitching and defense.

All of the veteran pitchers acquired are guys with career ERAs in the high 4.00's and 5.00's.

Many of the position players - Adam Dunn, Wily Mo Pena, Dmitri Young, Josh Willingham are simply awful in the field.

Why this team can't set their sights on any multi-tool players is beyond my comprehension.

Mark Teixeira is not the only player in baseball that can swing a bat AND defend his position at a high level.

But it was Teixeira or bust for the Nats in the offseason.

Until they were left with Dunn.

This team doesn't need ONE player.

It needs to sign THREE or FOUR solid players rather than one star.

That, together with the development of some of the younger players would result in a franchise moving forward.

But that's not how they do it here.

Posted by: leopard09 | May 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse