Detwiler To Start Monday's Game

Ross Detwiler, Washington's 2007 first-round pick, was supposed to pitch tonight's Class AA Harrisburg game against the Reading Phillies. Instead, he started making travel arrangements.

The Nationals scratched Detwiler from his minor league start, and plan to recall the left-hander for a spot start in the big leagues on Monday, two sources said. Detwiler has had an up-and-down career since being drafted sixth overall two years ago, but this year, in six starts for the Class AA Senators, Detwiler is 0-3 with a 2.96 ERA. Only once has he allowed more than two earned runs.

The Nationals need a starter for Monday's game against Pittsburgh because of today's doubleheader.

Detwiler, 23, has pitched just one career major league inning, a scoreless frame on Sept. 7, 2007 against Atlanta. This spring, he allowed five runs and seven hits in 5-1/3 innings, walking seven. He was never in contention to make the big league rotation; the Nationals reassigned him to minor league camp early in the spring.

Detwiler is an easy choice for the quick promotion because he's already on the 40-man roster.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 16, 2009; 8:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Postmortem on Zimmerman's Streak
Next: Olsen to Disabled List

Comments

In other words, he'll fit right in.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yep.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | May 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Nieves looks like Simeon Varlamov making saves while trying to catch Cabrera.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 16, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

If Detwiler left Harriburg now and drove to Washington, he might get here in time to pitch the 7th inning tonight.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 16, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

With Bobo Olsen already taken one for the team, any thought of just leaving D-Cab in for all nine innings, letting him throw his 250 pitches to get the complete game?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Are they sending DCarb down to make room for him?

Posted by: twinbrook | May 16, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I can only imagine if Bard were out there...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 16, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

or the 5th

Posted by: nattaboy | May 16, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

At this rate, I don't think 250 pitches would do it.

----

Posted by: jdschulz50

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 16, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Ibanez is killing us. Our pitchers just can't get the guy out.

DCab may get DFA'd very soon. Man, he stinks on ice. Don't go away mad just go away.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 16, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

They'll DL Olson to make room.

I agree with Dibble here - you gotta leave Cabrera in to finish the inning

Posted by: nattaboy | May 16, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The way Cabrera is pitching he might arrive Sunday and still be able to get into the game. I hope that this is the last we ever see of Cabrera in a Nats uniform. I can not believe that they have kept in the rotation for this long. Rizzo should be chained to a chair and be forced to watch an endless loop of Cabrera's games.

Posted by: driley | May 16, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

THIS is the en fuego grande we've all come to loathe.

Posted by: surly_w | May 16, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Dibble: "When I said mechanical, I didn't mean he has great mechanics. I meant he's like the Tin-Man." Great line.

Posted by: BShea82 | May 16, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsguy | May 16, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Does Cabrera just give up when he struggles? It sure seems like he just gets totally deflated in these circumstances.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 16, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he ever looks comfortable on the mound. When he'sstruggling, it's palpable.

Posted by: nattaboy | May 16, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

The Nats have to relize that Cabrera is not good for ratings. As a die hard Nats fan, I am almost to the point of not watching if Cabrera is pitching. Its to painful and pathetic.

Posted by: JT2009 | May 16, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

No talent + nerves + no coaching = the inevitable D-Cab blowup.

Please, please send this stiff the way of Clint.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

charlie just said that the tin man threw 46 pitches last inning.

Posted by: surly_w | May 16, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm always the optimist, but I don't really believe you guys that Clint is gone. Too good to be true

Posted by: nattaboy | May 16, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

manny CAN'T send el fuego grande back out there, CAN HE?

Posted by: surly_w | May 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Clint is done, toast, good-bye. The Lovely Vanessa has replaced him. It's the best trade since the Skins traded Norm Snead for Sonny.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Fueled by Willie, here comes the offense. Can they score 12?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

can they score eight and have the bullpen hold the phil...never mind.

Posted by: surly_w | May 16, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Alex (.052) Cintron was the only PH Manny could have used there?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm not convinced Kearns isn't hurt...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 16, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

This would be an official game if the rains come.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 16, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

oh no! now villone has can't find the plate disease.

Posted by: surly_w | May 16, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Gee whiz, Villone, we could have left Cabrera in if we wanted to just walk them.

Posted by: Traveler8 | May 16, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

great night behind the plate for wil "simeon varlamov" nieves. If the Caps ever need another backup goalie, nieves is showing me a lot tonight.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Great, we get back to within two runs, and Villone can't get anyone out. WHY IS THERE NO ONE IN THE BULLPEN??? Howard up, bases loaded, no one out, this could be ugly...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Now it's raining - how fitting...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

One thing about MASN and Mr. Angelos. Nobody is quicker off the air than MASN in a rain delay. The tarp wasn't even down when they pulled the plug.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Other than Martis, Zimmermann, and Lannan, everyone on this pitching staff sucks! Fire St. Claire because whatever he's telling these guys, it isn't working!

Posted by: rxs85 | May 16, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I could see the pitching changes playing out like this:

1. Olsen goes on the DL, Detwiler replaces him on the 25-man and starts Monday.

2. Cabrera, after proving once again that he cannot pitch, is DFA'd before his next start. Stammen or Martin replaces him on the 25-man, the 40-man and in the rotation.

3. If Detwiler is impressive, he stays. If not, Stammen or Martin takes his spot on the 25-man. I think we have an extra space on the 40-man as a result of recent transactions.

4. If the bullpen continues to implode (likely) Detwiler or Clippard could take Wells', Tavarez's or Villone's place in the bullpen.

Posted by: jcj5y | May 16, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Since we're behind in this game, don't we have to have a chance to bat in our half of the inning before it's an official game? I think that's the case, right? If they can't finish, we'd have another suspended game in this case.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

BGinVA, as in Marty Feldman's take in Young Frankenstein - "could be worse, could be raining" - thunder and lightening ensue ?

Posted by: Traveler8 | May 16, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Guys, in case you haven't noticed, they really don't postpone games without waiting two, three, four hours first. This storm is part of a front that looks like it will pass through in a couple hours. Welcome to midnight baseball...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I guess I can answer my own question. According to MLB rules for suspended games: "Weather, if a regulation game is called while an inning is in progress and before the inning is completed, and the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead." So, since the Phillies led coming into this inning, we are looking at an official game as it is right now. I stand corrected.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

***************************************

Good. A long delay means Villone is done for the night.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I have an idea. Rather than consistently have teams shell Cabrera, why not just set up a t-ball T and let opposing teams hit from it?

Rules are simple, the first ball over the fence counts as a homer and the rest are automatic outs. I gotta believe a couple of cases of baseballs are cheaper (but quite a bit better a value) than paying Cabrera and his cohorts to show up.

The upside to all this is you could also eliminate Acta, St. Claire and a few others at the same time.

I mean they look like little leaguers, why not just admit it and give it a try? What's the worst that could happen -- the Gnats might end up the worst team in baseball ???

Posted by: randy_boyd | May 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

The nice thing about randy_boyd's T-ball idea is that you could also institute the "mercy rule" I remember from when my brother played T-ball: if the team scored 10 runs, their half of the inning was automatically over so the other team could bat.

Posted by: misplacednortherner | May 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

jdshultz;

Don't tease me... is Clint really gone ???

Posted by: randy_boyd | May 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Someone help me on the logic, please.

If we are going to spot start Detwiler, who was due to pitch tonight, why not start him tomorrow and give Zimmermann an extra day of rest? why hold back Detwiler two days? This will be JZ's 4 start in a row on 4 days rest. His second start was on one day extra rest. We have a concern about his innings limit this year, and every pitcher can use an extra day now and then. Why not now?

Why also hold back Detwiler two days in order to pitch JZ on turn? doesn't that throw your worse starter further off rhythm?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | May 16, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Exactly misplaced, or you could just say... everyone gets to bat once... That's... The last guy runs until he scores or is put out...

Posted by: randy_boyd | May 16, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

We are definitely not out of this game yet, as it's only a two run deficit in the sixth inning. However, to stay in it, we need to get out of this bases-loaded, nobody-out jam that Villone got us into. Otherwise, we're 0-8 in games Cabrera starts for us. And nobody can blame the defense tonight, as all the runs he's given up are earned. At least he kept his pitches around the plate tonight, but they were just all over everything.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Also, last I checked, Rollins, Utley, Howard, and Ibanez are all lefty batters. Maybe throw the lefty against Philadelphia?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | May 16, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't tease me... is Clint really gone ???
***************************************

Who knows...Charlie and Dave joked (?) tonight that he was helping the grounds crew get the tarp down in the wind and rain. But there was definitely no Clint last night. Could it be he really is gone?!

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

let's face it fellow fans....this pitching staff both starters and relievers is going to be an in-season try-out and evaluation camp. for those of you who are calling for the saint's head, look at the fundamental lack of talent on this staff - cabrera, an injured olsen, tavarez, wells, villone. four of those five guys (ummm,burgers!) weren't initially invited to training camp not only with the nats but NOBODY ELSE this spring. right now other than lannan, martis and j-zimm who is going to be on this staff next year?

Posted by: surly_w | May 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

@Randy_Boyd: I was there Friday night and they had this lovely lady, the Lovely Vanessa, doing Clint's shtick, except much better. She also ran the T-shirt rifle, easily reaching the third deck. She's calmer, cuter, nicer and not as boorish as Our Man Clint. She's African-American and I don't think the Lerners are going back to Dear Old Clint.

My dream: Clint, D-Cab and Cintron get DFA'd the same week.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

BGinVA;

If he is, I will be the one doing the biggest "happy dance" out in the centerfield plaza pregame.

I am not sure if he was getting paid or not, and as much as I am no fan of the Thrifty Ownership Group, in this case, they SHOULD get their money back.

Posted by: randy_boyd | May 16, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Calling for Saint's head IMO, is a little nuts. He's worked miracles for what 3 years before this (not counting 2005, because that staff wasn't to bad) and his guys have a rough month and half and people are calling for his head. Stop, Please. Have you you all seen the poop dejour in the BP and DCab and Olsen in the rotation? He is a Saint but, I don't think he can turn water into wine.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 16, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm up in Philly at my In-Laws, watching the Philly feed of the game, and they had play-by-play of the trouble getting the tarp down. It was great fun. Some of the ushers were helping out, as were some of the fans.

Posted by: psubman | May 16, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

____________________________________________

Why do they do that? As soon as they change to ESPN news I switch to the History channel. What is wrong with having the announcers engage in some happy talk like the radio guys do? What is MASN afraid of?

Posted by: MKadyman | May 16, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

jdschulz,

I was there last night too. Vanessa is much better looking than Clint, you can understand what she is saying and she doesn't shout.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 16, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Section505203: Totally agree. It's a slim glimmer of hope for the entire franchise. Somebody recognized something (or somebody) wasn't working, and made the appropriate changes. Now, if we can just find that person and put him or her in charge of player personnel...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I have a hunch that was the intent...

---

Posted by: Traveler8 | May 16, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I would love it if Vanessa is indeed Clint's replacement. At the final exhibition game vs. the Orioles, they had three lovely ladies that the crowd could vote on as the new co-host. Vanessa actually did the "Lucky Seat" upgrade at the end of the 1st that night, and we got to meet her, as my brother and I got moved to the Diamond Club seats. She's great, much better than Clint, so I hope we get to see a lot more of her.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry randy_Boyd and others. Cling is still around. He was at the day game running around doing trivia with fans. Not sure if he was at night game or not.

Posted by: ilovethenats | May 16, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

have Charlie and Dave given any indication for a restart time?

Posted by: natinbeantown | May 16, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

great comment, natsguy. still laughing.

"If I was the phillies I wouldn't even bring a bat to the plate. They don't need it."

Posted by: NatsNut | May 16, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Dunn is in the clubhouse curled up in the fetal position yet?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 16, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave went off the air at 9:35, so all radio affilliates are running alternate programming. They said they couldn't take phone calls tonight - maybe it was technical reasons...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

The lines are fine, BG, they just can't take it, that's all. Can't say I blame them.
**************
Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 16, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

clint was working at the day game today. sorry to dash anyone's hopes.

Posted by: kevinx | May 16, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Damn Clint. Sorry to fan the flames of everybody hoping this slug was Pattersoned.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

espn.com says the game is final.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

and here comes Bob Carpenter with the news...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 16, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

there is zero reason to see cabrera in a nats uniform again, stammen or bergmann needs to get a chance

Posted by: bford1kb | May 16, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

it was almost better when we knew we couldn't score five

Posted by: bford1kb | May 16, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Three straight losses to start a home stand. The hits keep coming but the rallies are for naught. 11-24 is an absolute disgrace, any way you slice it. You can't fire the whole team, so you have to fire the manager. When has any manager - one with no track record of success, no less - been given this much slack (other than Stengel and his '62 comedians)?

Posted by: nats24 | May 16, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

ΒΆ WASHINGTON (AP) _ Washington Nationals starter Scott Olsen is headed to the disabled list with tendinitis in his throwing shoulder, another setback for the worst pitching staff in the National League.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Another 5 run effort down the drain literally. Double-Dip for the Nats means two ways to lose. Now the question is do I want to make my way to the Park on Sunday for more abuse from obnoxious Filthy fans?

Man the grass needs to be cut (again), I got to plow the lower forty and I want do put in a tree line along my creek bank. With my luck Zimm tosses a no-hitter and I'll miss it.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 16, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Most times I root for guys to come off the DL fast and can't wait to get them back into the lineup. For Olsen, my advice is to take a long, long time to recover. I'm heartened by the fact we have this guy only under contract for this season. Bye-bye...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 16, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I really feel for the locals who go to root the Nats on. The abuse they take from the Kasten invited Philly fans is brutal, especially when the Nats perform as they have in this series. I can't hardly stand to watch the thing on TV with the sound turned on. I fear one day they will start a program to fill Nats park on a weekend game and make it there house. It really is embarrassing. The Nats have got to fix this and fix it quick. Detwiler may help, or it will just set him back a couple years more. They should bring up Stammen, Clippard and Bergman also. I really feel bad for Charlie and Dave having to sit through this. At least they're getting paid to do it though.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 16, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

If you look up "excruciatingly hilarious" on Wikipedia there is a team photo of the 2009 Washington Natinals.

Posted by: BobLHead | May 16, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

sorry. Detwiler won't help. nice kid but he's not the future yet.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 16, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Chico.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 17, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

The losing streak by Cabrera is at 12. He is two-thirds of the way to the record. I say the Nats should keep him in there and give him the chance to make history. If you are going to suck this bad, you should at least be historically bad.

Posted by: fischy | May 17, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Chico.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 17, 2009 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Chico, we've been thinking about you. Your friends and co-workers at the Post have done a good job of holding down the fort, but I look forward to your special touch.
Although you've been subject to critism from time to time on this blog, if you look back at the last week's worth of postings you will see sympathy, support and appreciation for your tribute to your grandfather.

I'm glad you're back.

Let's play two!

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 17, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

This team is a total disaster. It's worse every year. I was estatic when we got baseball ball,they've ruined the franchised. It's been a joke,except for Zimm. Dunn? I bet he can't wait to get out of here.

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 17, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse