Flores Won't Be Back For Tonight's Game

The Nats' clubhouse isn't yet open for media infiltration, but I've gotten word that Jesus Flores (right shoulder injury) -- who was expected to be activated from the DL before this series -- will not be back for tonight's game. Check back soon for an explanation. The Nats have missed Flores both behind the plate and in the lineup. Though Wil Nieves and Josh Bard have been serviceable in his absence, neither calls games as effectively. And certainly, neither has the same presence in the bottom of the order.

Washington did make one official roster move earlier today, as expected, optioning catcher Luke Montz to Class AA Harrisburg and purchasing the contract of relief pitcher Mike MacDougal.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 29, 2009; 3:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg to Start Tonight for SDSU
Next: The Strasburg Watch: NCAA Regional Edition

Comments

That's bizarre. Hope nothing is wrong.

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 29, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

figgedy first. The Nats need to find Jesus.

Posted by: trezmartin | May 29, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

So is Bard back from "paternity leave" or are the Nats operating with one active catcher? Either way, this can only end well.

Posted by: NTPNate | May 29, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I think MacDougal will prove to be a good signing, unlike certain others that must not be named. The bullpen will still be a little shaky, but you could say that about every team, right now. The Nats may finally have a bullpen that looks like a big league crew.

Posted by: fischy | May 29, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

'this can only end well'

heh. word.

Darn! I put him back in my fantasy lineup cause Bob and Rob told me he'd be lacin' em up!

Posted by: nattaboy | May 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW ... in addition to the Strasburg vs UVA game tonight, one other local team is playing right now in the NCAA Regionals: GEORGE MASON! Currently in the bottom of the 4th, Patriots lead South Carolina 1-0. Let's go Pats!!!

Posted by: erocks33 | May 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

If I was one of the emergency catchers - Dunn? Kearns? Harris? Belly? - I'd be encouraging Nieves to lean into one or argue the strikezone or something.

Posted by: nattaboy | May 29, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember where I heard this, but I recall hearing that each level of baseball is roughly equivalent to 1 ERA. and College is roughly equivalent to Rookie ball.

On the other hand, do we REALLY want to bring him up like that? If you start with a 5.25 ERA, you tend to have high ERAs throughout your career. Wouldn't it be better to stash him down in AA this year, and MLB next year or the year after?

Posted by: swang30 | May 29, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd think either Dunn or Johnson is the emergency-emergency catcher. And they're praying for the health of one Wil Nieves.

Posted by: swang30 | May 29, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll definitely be toggling back and forth between Strasburg and Detwiller tonight. I think the ideal plan for SS would be a Sept. call-up, a la Ross, and a spring training invite next year and see how he does. I would use him out of the bullpen in spot duty this year, although if he takes until 8/15 (or whatever the deadline is) to sign, that rules out any action this year. But let's not forget he is a college player and should be ready to go much quicker than a high schooler.

I just wonder who his manager is going to be.

Posted by: sec307 | May 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

And Willingham came up as a catcher so he would be your emergency guy, herniated disc and all.

Posted by: sec307 | May 29, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping for a rainout. If it's raining here, that means it'll hit Philly in a couple hours, right?

Never thought I'd miss Robert Fick...

Posted by: Juan-John | May 29, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I do not think that Division I college baseball, even the MWC conference where Strasburg pitches, is equivalent to Rookie ball, especially for pitchers. At the ver least, aluminum bats tend to inflate ERAs. I'm very interested to watch him live tonight, but I would be shocked if Strasburg came to town this year and posted a 5+ ERA.

Posted by: jcj5y | May 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Sure, they've got Aluminum bats, but they're essentially rookie (actually, pre-rookie
) caliber people spread over several hundred schools, as opposed to 30 farm teams.

I would not be shocked that SS would come up and get a 5+ ERA, I'd expect 4-4.5, but 5 is not really out of the question.

Posted by: swang30 | May 29, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

College baseball players aren't "pre-rookie." A significant number of them--virtually all in a top-tier conference like the SEC--were drafted out of high school. If they had signed, they would have been rookie league players at worst. Instead, they went to school and have 1-4 additional years of experience. The good ones (e.g., Jordan Zimmermann) spend very little time in the lower minor leagues when drafted out of college.

Or think of it this way. When Mark Prior came up in 2002 (drafted in 2001, but spent less than half a year in the minors), his ERA in 19 games was 3.32. He struck out 147 in 116 innings. I would expect/hope for similar results from Strasburg.

Posted by: jcj5y | May 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Bard is probably balking at going back to Syracuse. I think its the town? Hey its near the finger lakes! It borders Hiawatha's lake? Its listed as one of the top places to live for outdoor activities! And there are Hyde Park's Cooney's some sort of polish white hot dog. State Fair, Solvay 15th of August. Carrier Dome, SU. What's not to like?

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Given their current situation, their need to develop good young talent into great players ...

They ought to consider trying to get the Hawaii AAA franchise. If a vet falters, and they want him to get his stuff together down in AAA, do a little injury rehab ... NO PROBLEM hey ITS HAWAII! Thanks Coach!

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hawaii Islanders ... Washington Senators AAA affiliate from 1965-1967.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"So, Strasburgs 1.25 ERA + A, AA, AAA, MLB = 5.25 MLB ERA. That's not so hot, but certainly very good for a draftee."

They don't look at that. Lots of college pitchers and HS pitchers have low ERA's. They look at the WHIP. They guy threw a no-hitter. You can well imagine what that his WHIP is very, very, very low.

And that is really, really good.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

jcj5y: funny, I thought about Mark Prior too in connection with the ERA estimate thing. Hopefully if we get SS, the long term works out a little better, though. Prior's currently chilling with Shawn Hill on the Padre's not-gonna-pitch list.

Posted by: joebleux | May 29, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The Rockies just fired Clint Hurdle after only an 18-28 start. Hell, the Nats are 20 games under .500, not ten. I'm not say'n, I'm just say'n

Posted by: twinbrook | May 29, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse