Kasten: 'I Don't Have Any Particular Concerns'

Nationals team president Stan Kasten said today that he has no immediate concerns about the claims of a Florida-based man who says he distributed steroids to professional athletes, including unnamed members of the Washington Nationals. Kasten has spoken with Major League Baseball officials, who were unable to give him further details. Kasten said he won't become concerned until "I hear anything from MLB to be concerned about."

"I have to tell you, I just don't know anything more about this story than what you've read. Truly," Kasten said. "I don't have any more information than that. I've spoken to MLB; they didn't have any more details on the story we all read this morning. ... I don't have any particular concerns, because as you've seen in recent times, baseball has the most stringent testing for performance-enhancing drugs. Players run afoul of rules, they're caught, and they're disciplined."

"My reaction," he added, "is limited to the things I hear authoritatively from MLB. That's the only time I would have a reaction."

Kasten has advised his players, who play tonight against the Mets at Citi Field, not to comment on that matter.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 27, 2009; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats With Ties To PEDs
Next: Tonight's Lineups

Comments

Maybe Kasten should make a comment on the state of the Nats. That would be more useful. And also on the state of the Nats manager. How bout commenting on that.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Seriousl who cares about Nats and roids? It's not like it helped them gain an advantage. Gimmie a break. Kasten what's up with your team on the field. And what exactly is the current plan????!!!!!
Youve been pretty quiet for awhile.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Any comments from ownership would be wonderful these days. Especially from the senior Lerner, since Mark isn't that great in public and Stan the man is constantly blowing sunshine! Seems like an information vacuum in that ivory tower.

Posted by: 1of9000 | May 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Kasten: 'I Don't Have Any Particular Concerns'

As his team wallows in the mire of being possibly the worst in all of sports, that statement speaks volumes--doesn't it.
Just perfect.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I had the fortune of being able to get into a presidential suite a couple of weeks ago, it was the famous "misconTARPtion game". I'd just seen in the suite big screen that the game had been called after five (at the park we were alerted 20 minutes later). As luck should have it, I ended up being right outside of the suite level elevators as Mr. Kasten was just getting in. I looked him right in the eye and said to him, "this is unnaceptable and pathetic, when are things going to change?"

He simply looked down and went about his way. No response besdies shaming away. Someone will eventually have to come into this organization and become accountable, responsible, and willing to do everything in their power to change things for the better of the ballclub and for baseball in Washington. I am not saying Stan Kasten should have answered me, nor am I saying that he should respond to steroid allegations. What I am saying, is that I haven't in five years seen anyone really be a leader in the front office. Mark Lerner actually makes me squirm, but he's just an owner. Someone needs to be able to step in, demand further investment, demand better production at all levels, and see to it that this ship is run right. We can't even get our concession lines moving in the right direction right now.

The country wanted Change when they voted for the new president, it's time for Nats Town Change. I WANT CHANGE!

God bless Ameerica & The Washington Nationals & it's die hard fans.

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | May 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfh21 | May 27, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we have reached the level of the Detroit Lions yet, but we're working on it...
Kasten: 'I Don't Have Any Particular Concerns'

Just perfect.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Are you blinking kidding me? Get some perspective. The sky is not falling. You're just cheering for a team that was ransacked and needs to rebuild.

Go talk to those Lions fans and see if you suffered anything like what they have at the hands of a franchise.

Posted by: Section506 | May 27, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dovelevine,

Any chance you could gather all your thoughts before you post your stream-of-conciousness negativity? None of them seemed all that insightful or useful, so I can't imagine it would have taken you all those many minutes between posts to come up with these nuggets.

Thanks

Posted by: hondavirus | May 27, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"No particular concerns b/c no particular info, I guess. No reactions ever unless he her's from MLB is a bit much. Reactionless Kasten? He must be emulating Acta."

Just out of curiousity, what does everyone's favorite owner Ted Leonsis have to say regarding the allegations of steroid use by his players?

Hey, let me answer my own question. From WP's Capitals Insider:

Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis just updated his blog: "I hope you all understand that while there is research and investigating going on that we will have to be silent as we cooperate and hope to exonerate our team and players from these allegations. Thank you for understanding."

Is Leonsis emulating Acta too?

Posted by: nunof1 | May 27, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's figure what would be the equivalent to an 0-16 football season. Obviously nobody'a going 0-162. Seems like below a .250 winning percentage puts them in the modern record books. The 1962 mets went 40-160 as an expansion team. UGH

Posted by: Roscoe4 | May 27, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - 1962 Mets were 40 - 120

Posted by: Roscoe4 | May 27, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

------------

Wait till he hears from the FEDs.

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 27, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey nice job Harlen. How the heck do you finally get Kasten in your sights and not even get a quote from him on the state of the Nats. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you, Kasten's arrogance sure gets old when the baseball team he is running has the worst record in baseball for the 2nd year in a row. Not to mention, they had a better record and attendance when they were being run by MLB!

When are we going to stop giving these guys the benefit of the doubt? They are not getting it done. Not seeing the results on the field, in the stands and the farm system is not overly impressive with prospects (as we were told it would be by now).

What is the answer here? Do the Lerner's need to clean house?

Posted by: andyhershey | May 27, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

>>Any chance you could gather all your thoughts before you post your stream-of-conciousness negativity? Posted by: hondavirus

Hey I'd love to be positive. Could you help me out a bit and give me a clue as to a couple of positives? Would really appreciate it. Is it the great job the manager Manny Acta is doing? Is it the great job the silent Mr. Kasten is doing? Is it the 13-32 and 12.5 games outta first with May not even over record? Stop me if I'm close. Just wondering.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

My head says you're right, but my heart - ouch!

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 27, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

dovelevine,

Hate on the Lerner's and Kasten all you want but, I think the shot at Chico (the writer not the pitcher) was a little uncalled for.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 27, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

506, save your breath. I'm convinced that most people on this site will be even less pleased when the Nats start winning because they will have less to complain about. It is incredible how our instant society has carried over into baseball. The franchise was decimated by MLB between 2001 and 2005, and in three years new owners have managed to find a couple of pieces of the future while starting to stockpile the minors with pitching (AKA, "the Plan"). But since the Nats did not make the playoffs in the first year of the Plan it must be a failure! Give me a break, it takes baseball longer to develop talented prospects than any other professional sport. I do not ever remember the Plan involving drafting an entire farm system in 2006, promoting them through the minors in 2007, get their feet wet in 2008, and win the penant in 2009. I personally am quite pleased with how this franchise is progressing and think that the future is quite bright. The overall record right now does not reflect the talent on this team. Is everything done with absolute precision and perfection? Nope. But I beg of anyone, please provide me an example that does run perfectly, baseball franchise or other.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | May 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Dove, baby,

Learn to read. I criticized your negativity as being unfocused and stream-of-consciousness, but I didn't ask you to be positive. I ASKED YOU TO STOP WITH THE MULTIPLE POSTINGS, EACH ONE SHARING ANOTHER NUGGET OF YOUR THOUGHTS! Surely you could criticize Manny, Kasten, the Lerners, Chico Harlan and anyone else in a single, simple-minded post, no?

Posted by: hondavirus | May 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Dunn mad at Austin Kearns for talking him into coming to the Nats? If I recall Austin and Bowden sold him really hard on the Nats!

Posted by: andyhershey | May 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Needanatsfix,

2 years ago, you could have made the case that the Nats were in a better place than the O's. Andy MacPhail has really gotten things moving quickly through good trades, drafting, etc.

Posted by: andyhershey | May 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Taylor and the commentators each said what a great train ride up to NY the Nats were going to have Sunday night because they finally won one game Sunday, defeating the Orioles, which I believe was only the 2nd home win in about 2 or 3 weeks.
But that was reason for a great train ride. This is what it's come to. One win every 3 weeks is cause for celebration.

This is supposed to be a major league team with players earning millions of dollars.
Where is the freakin accountability. Kasten and the Learners should give the team back to MLB. Those in hindsight were the glory years.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Kasten's comments were entirely appropriate and on point. On this matter he is acting appropriately.

On matters big (not signing Crow, keeping Bowden too long) and small (no hot dog vendors in stands, limited marketing and fanfests) I disagree with him. But on his reluctance to comment on things he does not know about, he is practicing good common sense.

[It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.]

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 27, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

>>Andy MacPhail has really gotten things moving quickly through good trades, drafting, etc.

The Bedard trade to Seattle really expedited things. Adam Jones is going to be GREAT for years to come. And Tillman could turn out to be a No. 1 or 2 starter. Thanks again Seattle. Unfortunately the return from the Astros for Tejada wasn't as good. No real stickers there. But that's how these things work.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Needanatsfix,

Your right is does take time to rebuild a "decimated" franchise, more so one with a "decimated" minor league system. (Thanks Bud).

But this rebuilding could have been a helluva lot quicker if the Lerner's and Stan "The Plan" had realized they needed to spend some money to do so.

Signing some solid veteran FA's and, oh, I don't know, your 1st round pick may have helped things along a little.

Instead we are subjected to a crappy arse product for 3 years now and the comparisons to woeful franchises like the Detroit Lions.

It didn't have to be this way.

They made almost 50 million in profit last year. What the heck happened to Mark Lerner's promise to put back all profit's into the franchise for like the first 10 years?

I guess he blew the promise like our sorry Bullpen blows saves.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 27, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@NANF,

I agree that some people are too negative. However, I don't think anyone is asking for them to be in the pennant race. Personally, all I really want is for them not to be the laughingstock of baseball.

And yes, the franchise was decimated by MLB under its ownership, but it's hard to place blame for the farm system dropping from rated in the top 10 to rated in the bottom 5 in the last year. Hard to blame MLB for not signing draft picks. And being the center of a federal investigation. And not even having a (interim, even) GM!

So while you may be pleased with the current progress, at least recognize that the team has flaws and that ownership could be doing a lot more to correct them.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 27, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

>>I personally am quite pleased with how this franchise is progressing and think that the future is quite bright. The overall record right now does not reflect the talent on this team. Posted by: NeedANatsFix

Are you really Stan Kasten??

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bford1kb | May 27, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I thought that stuff was supposed to make guys play better rather than worse.

Hmmm.

Posted by: jbartelloni | May 27, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

needanatsfix-

"I personally am quite pleased with how this franchise is progressing and think that the future is quite bright."

Wow. Lots to be pleased about. Its fans like you that keep the Skins games filled to the brim with mindless zombies, shelling out their hard-earned money with little regard to results. Keep up the good work

Posted by: Tinman1188 | May 27, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"But since the Nats did not make the playoffs in the first year of the Plan it must be a failure!"

I don't think it's as much they didn't make the playoffs as they finished dead last by a wide margin and then turned themselves into the biggest laughingstock in American sport outside of Detroit.

The future ain't that bright either, I got news for you. Even allowing for the far-from-certain signing of their 2 first round picks this year this is a below average minor league system by almost any account. There is no positional depth at all and we've already promoted or sole top 100 prospect.

Stan? Is that you?? I can't see too good

Posted by: RickFelt | May 27, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I understand the reason for the negativity, I just think some of it's misplaced. Once Manny gets something like a fully functioning team and we get the feeling he has a greater say in deciding who's on the roster, then we can second guess him. Getting mad at Stan Kasten for not commenting on today's arrests is dumb; what's he going to say?

Now, get upset about some of the obvious stuff. Signing Daniel Cabrera. Not signing a competent, experienced starting pitcher (like Livan or Garland) or two. Focusing so heavily on outfielders and not focusing on defense. Not signing Crow (although I also blame his agents). No signings from Japan.

In other words, not making any special effort to get better, rather than just biding time until the prospects show up (if they ever do). I like the young starters but worry about them being strung out there all year without a vet to mentor them and carry some of the load.

Zimm's great at third, Flores is good at C, and Hernandez looks okay at 2B. Maxwell can play CF but may never hit that much.

Given that there may not be anything else of value in either AA or AAA right now, the only way for the Lerners to get better fast is either make a trade or spend some money in the offseason. Preferably both. It's time for them to step up.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Certainly with reasonable and requisite performances by the pitching staff this team could be sitting on 20-30 wins.

They decide to go young along with veteran cast-offs like Cabrera. Olson hasn't panned out. Too many things pitching-wise did not work out. Exacerbating a serious problem is the league's worst defense.

I don't think the solution is even more young pitching like Bucholz and Bard in exchange for Dunn!? Dunn!? The only bright spot on this team is the offense that has been kindled by the presence of Dunn!?

Middle relief just isn't there this year. Starting is a bit shaky but passable. Looks like the combination of Villone and Hanrahan might work out in the end. Add Clippard in at some point? Maybe the solution to middle relief is to alternate Stammen, Olson, and Detwiler. Maybe Bally gets better.

In any case it looks like the season, mostly morale-wise, is now a wash. The "big moment" is the draft.

Posted by: periculum | May 27, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

nunof -- Leonsis and Kastens said different things. Leonsis explained that he'd have to be silent while an investigation is pending and asked for patience, Kasten said his reactions are limited to things regarding which he hears authoritatively from MLB. Had Leonsis said he would have no reaction unless he heard from NHL enforecment, I'd think him to be a bit of a high-brow jackass too.

Acta slipped into my little post b/c the guy has a poker face for the ages -- no reactions to anything, ever. Acta has the world crapping all over him, deservedly so, and he just glides through it all, asessing blame in all directions (well, but for on huimself and the coaches that is). Loss after loss after loss. Nothing to get excited about, nothing to see here folks.

I know you love the guy, but it just burns the Hell out of me that Acta is both the worst manager in the bigs AND that he could care less about that being the case. Gee, my catchers only call sliders in the dirt with the bases loaded and the game on the line, wish they'd change that. But what can I do? Alex Cintron is not Babe Ruth? No way! They look so similar. Lastings CAN'T play CF and be a good lead off man in MLB? You guys are pulling my leg. Come on out here Lastings, wait 'til I get a holda you! etc. This idiot is losing more than 2 of 3 in a mediocre Division with 4 All Star caliber guys in his lineup. Ridiculous, historically ridiculous. I wish Kastens would react to that fun fact.

Posted by: dfh21 | May 27, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I am also pleased with progress made since 2005.

Daniel Cabrera is the latest point. When we were going into this season, we were concerned because our young pitchers were not ready and we needed a stop gap. So we took a chance on Daniel Cabrera.

Now, two months into the season, it is clear that our guys ARE ready, and we can safely DFA Cabrera. The story is NOT that Cabrera is gone, the story is that Martis, Zimmermann, Detwiler, and Stammen are HERE.

Posted by: Section506 | May 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"I hate to admit it, but the Orioles seem to have rebuilt their farm system very quickly. They still have work to do, but are moving rapidly in the right direction."

Is that why they had the lowest crowd ever in the history of Camden Yards last night?

Posted by: nunof1 | May 27, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I am misremembering, but as I recall the plan was to draft pitching, try to develop a few position pieces, trade pitching for hitters, and sign FA's to fill in the remaining holes.

I hardly think the Nats are a model franchise, nor do I think the minors are filled with can't miss prospects. However, the entire MLB rotation has been drafted or traded for since the Lerners took ownership. Balestar and Clippard have been considered top tier prospects previously and are still young. Down the list I look at guys like Atilano, Alaniz, Myers, Wilkie, Zincola, Willems, Milone, Atwood, Kimball, Carr, Frias, Demny, Engles, Peacock, McGeary, Smoker, Hicks, etc (and hopefully we will have Strasburg in this mix soon). They will not all be MLB All-Stars, nor will they all even make it to the minors. If even two or three of them continue to evolve into solid prospects and the current MLB staff continues to evolve the Nats will suddenly have a plethora of pitchers and that is when the good trades will start happening. As someone pointed out, the O's can thank Seattle for giving them an entire farm system for Bedard. Three years from now the Nats might be able to turn Zimmermann into four solid prospects because a guy like Milone or Hicks is pitching lights out in AAA.

I know there are still a lot of holes in the system and the depth is non-existent. But this is baseball, it takes years to develop talent through the system. And for those who argue for signing the FA's over the past few years, that would have made the MLB team more palatable to watch but it would not have put the team any closer to the playoffs.

I know that I will get killed for this (CiL, take aim) but until the Lerners start managing this team like the Marlins and trade any talent before they become high prices I will assume that the plan will be to pay for the RIGHT pieces, not just any piece. Tex was a right piece and they outbid everyone else. Andruw Jones was not the right piece, no need to overbid. It takes time...

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | May 27, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"nunof -- Leonsis and Kastens said different things."

I agree. They each used an entirely different set of words to basically say "no comment".

Posted by: nunof1 | May 27, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

>>the orioles got luke scott in the tejeda trade and he's shown himself pretty well thus far
Posted by: bford1kb

I like Luke but really not much of a return for Tejada. BTW Os scored 5 in 8th to tie Jays. Not bad. And oh yea, Reimold's a keeper and Weiters is coming up Friday.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

sorry, meant LAC not CiL

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | May 27, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree that things have been bleak for a while now. But, as the old saying goes, it all starts with the pitching. If that is true, at least we've started pretty well there with perhaps a couple more studs being drafted next month. There is some deadwood on this team, I'll not name names, I don't have to. That needs to be fixed for next season. I do however want to see the young arms get the seasoning they need this year and not worry about the results. Just work on mechanics and situations and prepare for next year. It's a hefty price that fans have to watch the misery this year, but it will get better, at least it better or heads will roll. As far as Manny goes, I'm sticking with him until he has the tools to work with. It's unfair to judge him when he's driving a railroad spike with a ballpean hammer, so to say.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 27, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

coked -- I appreciate the forward looking nature of the statements and everyone wants the club to be good long term, but working on mechanics is for the minor leagues, it is not what I pay $60 per seat to see at the MLB park. As to Manny and the spikes, hammers and such -- a poor craftsman blames his tools. Acta could not drive a spike with the biggest spike drivingest spike driving machine in all of Spikesdrivistan. He's the worst.

Posted by: dfh21 | May 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The problem, dfh, is that there's no way to get a major league club like that without giving up on building the minors. Every A or B free agent we sign is one or two draft picks less for building the farm.

So do we trade for them? Who? Who is trading for Kearns and for Guzman? Every team in baseball except the New York Yankees wants young talent right now, and that's all the trading going on. So unless we want to part with the young guys on MLB (who also are doing well), we're not going to get those major league players you want while also rebuilding the farm.

Posted by: Section506 | May 27, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

13-32.

Man, that's just punches you right in the face doesn't it?

But, as much as I have called out the Lerner's and Stan "The Plan" Kasten and pissed and moaned about them the last few weeks, my sorry butt will be on the couch at 7:00 tonight, watching the team with "Washington" on the front of their jersey's, like I am almost every night that I'm not actually at the game.

Geez, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 27, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Section 505 - Where'd you get the $50M profit number from? Seems like a reasonable question for Chico to ask Kasten/Lerner - "so, you said you'd pour it all back it in - where's it going?"

Posted by: natslifer | May 27, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

505, time off from purgatory, as my old Sunday school teacher used to say.

Posted by: Section506 | May 27, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Of course not nunof1.

The Orioles are not there yet either, but if you look objectively at the talent level they are now and will continue to be pulling from- it is obviously better than what the Nats have to pull from. There is a lot of talent waiting to come up from the AAA, and a lot of it pitching. Ironically Kasten started the rebuilding process over a year before MacPhail came to the Orioles.

As far as the Tejada trade. Luke Scott is a decent role player for the time being and Troy Patton (at AA now) may contribute to the Orioles shortly as well. But Tejada was a cancer on the Orioles and is not the player you build around. The best part of the trade was that they got rid of Tejada. He went to a better team (the Astros) and they sure have not have had much success since!

Posted by: andyhershey | May 27, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

@dovel:
Nice to see you had so much time on your hands - Was there anybody else you wanted to send a poop sandwich to today?
----------

@505203:
Your last line said it all - I'll be listening to Charlie & Dave trying to make lemonade once again tonight.
------------

@coked:
BTW, it's a ballpeen hammer, not a ballpean hammer.

Posted by: BinM | May 27, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

natslifer,

I can't recall if it was the Post I saw it in or if if was here on the NJ. However, I believe the figure that was reported as profit for the Nats was 46.5 million.

If anyone remembers the source and/or the exact amount please feel free to correct me.

Bottom line, that money should go back into players salaries (ML'ers/draft picks/international signings) in my opinion. I don't really care that they redesigned the Red Porch or added more TV's in the suites or whatever, with some of that money, I want the on field product to be better.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@dovel:

Posted by: BinM | May 27, 2009 5:52 PM
______________________________________________________________

Now that, is funny.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 27, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

"Adam Dunn must want to kill his agent. He must be wondering what in the heck did I get myself into for the next 2 years. How did this happen. Dude must cry himself to sleep each night."

Posted by: dovelevine

I myself will cry every night for 10 million dollars. No problem. When you really can not play a position in the field and strike out a bazillion times a season the ten million looks like gravy. Not to mention he is on a team where the the three hitters in front of him are putting themselves on base at a remarkable clip. He is getting as many RISP opportunities as he could with any other team. Plus he has a manager that adores him and fans that don't expect too much from him. All in all Dunn should be delighted to be here.

Posted by: driley | May 27, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

505, Boswell has stated that at least some of the profits the Nats are enjoying and that the Lerners promised they wouldn't take out of the team for the first 10 years are actually being used by the Lerners to pay off the debt that they secured to buy the team. Some of us had the debate several weeks ago about whether this is consistent with the Lerners' promise. As I said then, it clearly is not consistent.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 27, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if the Caps are more embarrassed by being associated with steroids or being associated with the Nationals............

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 27, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Everyone seems to be forgetting the most important move this team made this year: getting The Assclown on the Segway out of this organization. He was the main autuer of the team's problems this year, I firmly beleive. This is going to be a painful season, but hey, with someone with a little more desire to build a good team and less desire to look clever and have the "koolest, most toolsy team evar!" in charge, I think we'll have something.

But man, this is going to be a tough swamp to wade through, that's for sure.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | May 27, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

while spelling and grammer may not be my forte, my heart is in the right place and all yall know what I meant with the ballpean, peen, whatever. I get the point about mechanics, minors et all, but what better to learn. In the end when they become winners, it will water down the drain and soon forgotten.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 27, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

>>As far as the Tejada trade. Luke Scott is a decent role player for the time being and Troy Patton (at AA now) may contribute to the Orioles shortly as well. But Tejada was a cancer on the Orioles and is not the player you build around. The best part of the trade was that they got rid of Tejada.
Posted by: andyhershey

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they traded Tejada and agree with everything you said. All I'm sayin is that the trade results as for as prospects go didn't work out as well as the Seattle trade. Luke is nice but nothing special and no one else has panned out. But yea I agree, glad they got rid of Miggy anyway.

BTW and I know this isn't an Os board but just sayin with Reimold and now Weiters coming up and Luke starting to hit, the Os have replaced 3 dead spots in the lineup with potential punch. They could have a real potent 1 thru 9. Now if they could only get some pitching. Heard that one before? Great comeback and win today.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

"...I'm convinced that most people on this site will be even less pleased when the Nats start winning because they will have less to complain about."

When.

Baghdad Bob has been found!

Posted by: gbooksdc | May 27, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Thank God that the Nats aren't using steroids. Can you imagine how depressing it would be if they were using them and still sucked this bad?

Posted by: hisroc | May 27, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

NeedANatsFix you want examples of well oiled baseball machines here are a few;

-Los Angeles Dodgers
-Los Angels Angels of Anahiem
-St Louis Cardinals
-Boston Red Sox
-Atlanta Braves

What do all of these teams have in common "winning".

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 27, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

506. I hear you on building the roster -- it is complicated and it takes time/money and you can't win a ton of games with lesser talent. But very few teams lose like the Nats have been losing since the end of 2007. They are playing worse than they are.

My problem with Acta is that he can't use the players he has, he can't motivate or strategize. His moves fail far more often than they succeed. Last year the club suffered from bad baserunning, lousy defense, lack of hussle, the inability to get a bunt down, etc. -- just bad baseball. It would not have meant that the Nats would have been winners with that lousy roster and the injuries and all but the play was poor, night after night. This year his pitching moves are suspect again and again, he places players in the wrong roles, he can't even get his players to throw the pitches he claims he wants them to throw, no one can catch, no one can pitch, he blames everyone under the sun, they have turned the roster over like no team in baseball, he uses the threat of waiver as a motivational tool and it is not working (though it is creating a lot of added pressure on guys that clearly cannot handle it), no results. He just sleep-walks through it all -- Manny is the accidental tourist. How the hell does he not argue that play at the plate last night after the Sheff call on Monday??

Anyway, I hope they fire the guy this week. I just see no reason why Acta should have this job any longer. Dunn, Zimmerman, Guzman and Johnson are all decent shots for the All Star team and by the time they play that game the club might have won its 25th game. Acta is not the guy throwing the wild pitches and booting the grounders, I know, but he is responsible for the overall performance of the club and the performance of the club has been awful for well more than 200 games now. They need to make the change, set a new tone, get the stench out of the dugout.

Posted by: dfh21 | May 27, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse