Lineups

The tarp remains on the infield, but the rain has stopped here at Nats Park. So assuming a game is played this evening ...

Astros:

Dukes - CF
Kearns - RF
Flores - C
Hernandez - 2B
Lannan - P

By Steve Yanda  |  May 4, 2009; 5:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leading Off (The Morning Reading), Lastings Milledge
Next: TV Update

Comments

Please rain stop! I need some baseball tonight!

Posted by: FloresFan | May 4, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm with FloresFan. I was out of town and missed Martis' gem on Saturday, so I need my Nats fix tonight.
This is a game we can win. With this lineup, I have a feeling Lannan will FINALLY start getting some consistent run support.

Go Nats!

Posted by: usmc53 | May 4, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg, Zimmermann, Martis, Lannan, Olsen (or Stammen)... ahh... such pleasant thoughts... Is it July yet?

Posted by: kfisher32 | May 4, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Glad I don't have tickets for tonight.

Not sure how to feel about the tickets that I have for tomorrow...

Posted by: comish4lif | May 4, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article about Strasburg possibly skipping minors altogether:

Posted by: kfisher32 | May 4, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I do have tix for tonight. Normally I'd go no matter what, but I don't think my 4 year-old will appreciate the weather (and possible rain delays). Guess I'll have to settle for flipping back and forth between the Nats and the Caps.

Posted by: erocks33 | May 4, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kfisher32 | May 4, 2009 5:28 PM
_______________________

Let's get Stammen up here to replace Cabrera already.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 4, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if they could put the caps up on the jumbotron for us if there's a delay...

Posted by: chipchanko | May 4, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@kfisher:

Admittedly, I haven't read the piece, but the title alone cries out for a response of "Yes, if Boras lets him sign without sitting for two months".

Posted by: BinM | May 4, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

comish4lif: In case of rain the 12:35 scheduled start will give us time to get drunk, sober up, and get drunk again.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Almost wouldn't mind another rainout or two; we're getting closer to May 6 when Beimel is allowed to come back. Which reminds me, who will go down when Beimel comes up? Cintron I guess, though it would be nice to figure out a way to get rid of Rivera for a while.

Posted by: jonb5 | May 4, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@usmc (& others):

Slow down folks - the starting staff isn't the critical issue right now. The team doesn't need to rush Stammen to the majors right away, the way they did with Balester, Estrada, & Clippard last year. The current five are decent, but might be in the wrong shuffle order right now.

Where the team needs help is in getting the bullpen stabilized; Beimel coming back will help in the late innings, but the rest of the guys out there just need to think about throwing their best 1-2 pitches for effective (low) strikes, regardless of what inning they're in.

Posted by: BinM | May 4, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Why haven't they traded Johnson, Kearns or Willingham yet? What is Rizzo waiting for?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 4, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

@jonb:

I doubt Acta would want to lose another bench player (Cintron) for a bullpen arm; That would give him 12 players vs. 13 pitchers. IMO, the more likely move would be to drop a relief pitcher (Rivera, Mock, maybe Kensing or Hinckley) when Beimel is ready to come off the DL.

Posted by: BinM | May 4, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@dove:

Ummm, maybe an offer of more than a PB&J sandwich & a bag of balls for swallowing their salaries?

Posted by: BinM | May 4, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

@BinM: Just because our bullpen problems are GREATER than and overshadowing our rotation problems, that doesn't mean the rotation is sound. Good management can work on more than one problem at a time. Cabrera must go.

Posted by: kfisher32 | May 4, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Leverage. As the deadline gets closer their value should increase a bit.

Posted by: JDB1 | May 4, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@kfisher:

No argument about mgmt. working on multiple problems - just that Stammen needs more time in AAA, and Cabrera still fills a need (barely) as a bottom-order SP.
If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), look at the rotation 1 to 5 as JZimm, Martis, Lannan, Olsen & Cabrera. Should Cabrera go 1-2 more starts with an uncontrolable 89mph fastball, then pull the plug, eat the salary & move on.

Posted by: BinM | May 4, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Emilio Bonifacio has come back to Earth. He's hitting .257 and sinking fast. And yet, Florida's manager Fredi Gonzalez still has him leading off.

Posted by: gilbertbp | May 4, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse