Looking For Help for Nats' Bullpen

If Washington's bullpen keeps this up, more changes are coming. Heck, more changes might be coming before the Nats' relievers even have a chance to keep to keep it up. The bullpen's daily collapse is about as reliable as the sunset. Manny Acta and Mike Rizzo have both promised -- repeatedly -- to continue uprooting the roster until they find the right combo. So maybe it's time for a few more changes.

Is anybody already nostalgic for the Charlie Manning Era?

A few thoughts...

* The Nats acquired Logan Kensing by trading a Class A pitcher. So far, it looks very much like an equal-value trade. Kensing's three appearances with the Nats have added up to 3-2/3 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB and 1 K.

* Then there's Mike Hinckley, last September's do-no-wrong darling. He was, to be sure, stunningly effective. In 14 appearances, he didn't allow a run. He walked just three in 13-2/3. But this season, Hinckley is a different pitcher -- perhaps a truer version of himself, the Nats' front office fears. Hinckley needs to earn himself some support, and the question is, Will he even get the opportunity? He is out of options, which probably explains why he's lasted this long through April/May. (When Saul Rivera was demoted, Acta explained that options -- Rivera has options remaining -- were part of the consideration.) But Hinckley's erratic outings are getting harder to tolerate. His 4.66 ERA is misleading. The stats to note here: He's walked 11 in 9-2/3, striking out just three. He's faced 44 batters this year. Eight have gotten hits, 11 have walked, one has been hit by a pitch.

* OK, so who's next in line if the Nats are looking for (more) replacements? Trades are always a possibility, but a tough one. This season, for reasons that only smarter people can explain, relief pitching has been brutal across baseball. In 2008, MLB bullpens had a combined 4.08 ERA. This year, it's 4.39. When you're talking about averages spread across so many teams, that's an incredible jump. Which is one of the reasons why the trade market isn't so hot. The other reason, of course, is what the Nats have to offer. They could presumably trade one bad contract for another -- say, Austin Kearns ($8 mil) for Seattle reliever Miguel Batista ($9 mil); this trade possibility has been discussed -- but that's the extent of it. Mostly, help will have to come from within the system.

I'll throw out three names.

First, Tyler Clippard. Converted to a reliever this year, the right-hander is performing almost perfectly in the middle-innings role. His totals this year with Class AAA Syracuse: 16-1/3 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 6 BB, 21 K. That's a 1.10 ERA.

Second, Jason Bergmann. Yes, you know what he can offer. You've seen him before. He won't be your savior, but he can be decent.

Third, Ron Villone. Through eight games with the Chiefs, he has a 2.35 ERA and a 0.78 WHIP. He's 39. He was signed this spring to a minor league deal. But you know what that gets you in NatsTown. Just ask Kip Wells or Julian Tavarez. Plus, Villone had a 4.68 ERA in 74 games last year with St. Louis.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 7, 2009; 12:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Morning Reading Lite
Next: Nats Cut Hinckley, Call Up Ron Villone

Comments

Thanks mjhoya, I appreciate any reference to the brilliant creator of Bob Lablow's Law Blog.

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

ManRam tested positive for PEDs? 50 game suspension?!?!?

Posted by: goexpos2 | May 7, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Pedro.

Posted by: imissrfk | May 7, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

One reason relief pitching is bad across the majors is the plethora of bad pitchers. BY DEFINITION, the 11th and 12th pitchers on a staff aren't very good. Yet managers keep sending them out there and watching them blow up.

Maybe that Nats should go back to the future and try a 10 man staff for a while.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | May 7, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Glad that we just said no to Man-Ram.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 7, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"ESPN.com news services

"Major League Baseball announced Thursday that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez has been suspended for 50 games for violating its drug policy."

Now we just have to get 24 more and we'll get a win tonight!

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

How about Colome? At his worst in '07 and '08, he was better than what the Nats have now. And the minor league report yesterday showed how well he's pitching for the Chiefs. He was very good the first half of '07.

Posted by: nats24 | May 7, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Villone can not still be around. They are going to starting picking pitchers off the DC softball fields soon.

Posted by: Tom8 | May 7, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Dodgers would be interested in Willingham? I know, probably wishful thinking...

Did I miss something--is A. Hernandez hurt? He didn't play at all--Manny used Willie H instead for the double switch. Just when he (AH) was starting to look comfortable at the plate.

Posted by: CapPeterson | May 7, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Man-Ram has man boobs?

Posted by: GalRevelsInPee | May 7, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready, willing and able to pitch for the Nats. Granted, my fastball tops out at 65, but I guarantee I won't walk every other hitter. I'll also take one for the team and pitch for the major league minimum. Call me, Rizzo.

Posted by: slewis1 | May 7, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

CapPeterson, kudos to a great name and for a great trade idea. I like it and the Dodgers are one of the few teams that seem to have an extra arm or two to send to D.C.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

So, at least things are looking up for the Nats and the rest of their series in LA....

About that ticket to the Hall of Fame, Sr. Ramirez....may I introduce you to Messrs McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Clemens and Bonds??? Perhaps, a new category is in order for Cooperstown?

As for the bullpen and trades -- has everyone forgotten about Ryan Langerhans? There's scarcely a better fielding outfielder in baseball, and he's showing in AAA that he might have rediscovered the stroke that made a huge prospect in the Braves' organization. Frankly, he's the real victim of the numbers game. By rights, he should be in the majors right now. If he's not going to get a chance with the big club, the Nats really should deal him for pitching help.

When the Nats return home, Bergmann and Clippard should get a shot. If Hinckley keeps struggling, maybe the Nats won't have to be too concerned about losing him to another team....

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

A little prediction: Manny and his people will come out and say that he had a problem either with ADHD or low testosterone levels. Athletes are using these excuses to get prescriptions for Ritalin or HGH type drugs. It's their latest attempt at cover for cheating.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Dodgers might be interested in Willingham -- or Langerhans... The Diamondbacks, too.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"A little prediction: Manny and his people will come out and say that he had a problem either with ADHD or low testosterone levels."

Well, if he claims ADHD I'd say he has a good case. Either that or his acting over the past decade or so to convey the impression that he does is truly Oscar worthy.

Posted by: GalRevelsInPee | May 7, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GalRevelsInPee

--------------

Okay, that one made me chuckle. He may not have a problem finding somebody to testify in his behalf...

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

ronnie, kearns, willie, and ham need to be shopped for some arms, what we bring into the game every day is pathetic

Posted by: bford1kb | May 7, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

I suspect we could get more for Willingham than for Langerhans. I think you're onto something with Langerhans's recovery and feel a little better knowing we've got someone on hold in AAA who can play all three OF positions (especially RF) well.

Posted by: CapPeterson | May 7, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine the Dodgers would give up much of anything for a spare outfielder. They're 6.5 up in a weak division, and they have more than enough depth to handle missing Manny for 1/3 of a season -- they'll have to start Juan Pierre now (oh, the horror -- a mere .300 career hitter).

Posted by: joebleux | May 7, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't the Dodgers need an OF now? Willingham or Kearns for some relief help?? And Johnson should be out there too. Lets go.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Dovelevine, that is great news that Jimbo got a job as a GM!

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | May 7, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Joebleux,

Yep, LA may feel they can stand pat in weak division. But Dodgers are reported (by LA Times) to be bringing up Xavier Paul, a good lefthanded-hitting prospect (Juan Pierre with a little more pop) to replace Manny. That would give them 3 lefties in the OF (Ethier, Pierre, & Paul) and only one from the right side, Kemp. Maybe they'd want another righty swinger instead. (I hear other clubs carry lefty pitchers as relief specialists to retire lefty batters.)

Posted by: CapPeterson | May 7, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

>>And there has to be a fool left somewhere who will take Cabrera off our hands. Right?

I still can't believe they had the nerve to run that bum out there at our home opener. Seriously!!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

And as far as Manny (Ramirez)goes, well I gotta go on record and say I'm Bummed--Bigtime. I really like watching the big guy and was looking forward to seeing him the next couple o nights. This stinks. When will this stuff end??!!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

CapP, well, we can always hope. But the Dodgers are already set for righties overall -- their entire infield other than Loney at 1st is either RH or switch.

Plus, when Manny gets back, they'd be stuck with a surfeit of outfielders like we have.

Posted by: joebleux | May 7, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for believing in second chances and even miracles, but Langerhans was a disaster at the plate in his time with the big club.

It's a little difficult to imagine being able to get much for him.

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 7, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Everyone, please remember Kearns also has a $1 mil buyout for next year or else the team that own his his contract will owe him $13 mil next year. So you really need to look at his contract as a $9 mil contract not $8 mil.

Posted by: ecmdfan | May 7, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't anyone looking at Ben Sheets i know he had some arm injury issues but they reportedly are behind him why not call him in for a look see, i mean at this point what do we have to lose.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 7, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

So Manny took an undisclosed medicine prescribed by a doctor for an undisclosed reason. If he has nothing to hide, then why not come out and say exactly what the drug was, and if necessary, why he was prescribed it. When will these players get it through their heads that they need to come clean with the entire truth in the court of public opinion?

My point being, issuing a statement like this, "I was feeling lethargic at spring training and I went to a doctor and he prescribed [this] which I didn't realize was an amphetamine" is better than was he said.

That being said, there really is no excuse for unknowingly testing positive for a substance these days. You have team doctors, the hotline, and the union. And why guys aren't keeping a small sample from every supplement they use is beyond me. If I were a ball player and know I'm taking a legal supplement, I'd still keep a small sample from the batch to provide MLB if I ever tested positive.

Posted by: dclifer | May 7, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I've seen two games so far: both times DCab started. I've got tickets fior three games on the next homestand: Sun. the 17th, Tues. the 19th, and Friday the 22nd. I pray to God I don't get DCab on both the 17th and 22nd!

Posted by: CapPeterson | May 7, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Nats' pitchers will have more of a comfort zone tonight. There's a big difference between facing Manny Ramirez and Juan Pierre.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 7, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

It's a little difficult to imagine being able to get much for him.

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 7, 2009 2:00 PM
----------------------------------------------

Admittedly, he started slowly -- batting under .200. But, he did improve and he had an OBP of .380 -- that's just a tick higher than Dukes right now, a little below Kearns, and way above Willingham. He wasn't brilliant, but not a total disaster.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

506, you did NOT just point to the Pirates as example of how to build a team. Seriously. What, 17 years and counting without a sniff of the playoffs? And, BTW, losers of eight out of their last nine following an unusually good start.

Posted by: joebleux | May 7, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I've seen two games so far: both times DCab started.

I buy my games now based on who is pitching. My next game will be a JZimm.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Read it again, joebleux.

"I strongly oppose trading Willingham or anyone else for any bullpen arm over 25. I will not watch this _______ in perpetuity. I will suffer now, like I did last year, in order to make sure that I can spend ten to fifteen years gloating.

"You know how you build the Pittsburgh Pirates? Trade the few pieces you have for a bullpen arm so that you can get five more wins this year."

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

And my next Os game will be a Koji starter. otherwise what's the point.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

the big problem in seeking "veteran" relief pitchers is that they have been abused by other clubs before they get here. relievers may appear in 70-80 games a year and may warm up twice that amount. the nats' problem is that young guys like mock, hinckley and hanrahan seem to fear pitching to contact. but with the way the infield defense has played early this season i can't blame them.

Posted by: surly_w | May 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

What?

I -said- that you didn't just point to the Pirates as an example of how to build a team, and, obviously, you didn't.

Oy. I don't know whether to blame my lack of reading comprehension or a broken snark meter for that one.

Posted by: joebleux | May 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Haha, you've got enough credit in the bank to miss one every now and then.

Surly W makes a good point about fearing pitching to contact. And I think whoever is pitch calling is thinking the same thing. It feels like there's been a strong desire to nibble this year, rather than go after people.

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Get someone with big league experience and leadership qualities to help with young guys on the staff, Rick Bauer is still available I read he can handle most relief roles and throws in the 90`s can`t hurt to give him a try nothing else has worked!!!!

Posted by: bbfan4evr | May 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Rick Bauer, heck, bring in Jack Bauer. You don't throw strikes, he takes you out.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 7, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

ESPN says he took a women's fertility drug.

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | May 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

ESPN says he took a women's fertility drug.
Posted by: Tracee Hamilton
------------------------------------------

Ah, now it all makes sense (??!!?)

Posted by: HotNats | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The Nats are going to need to sign a veteran pitcher somewhere along the line to go along with all their kids...someone to mentor these guys.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link to the ESPN story.

Not good for fans of Manny (a group that includes me). Basically he tested positive for a drug that steroid users use to kickstart their body's natural testosterone production coming off a cycle of steroids. Sooooo...no, he didn't test positive for a steroid, but...

Posted by: Section220 | May 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"ESPN says he took a women's fertility drug."

Manny being Cammy?

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Or Manny being Tranny?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

ESPN says he took a women's fertility drug.
Posted by: Tracee Hamilton
------------------------------------------

Ah, now it all makes sense (??!!?)

Posted by: HotNats | May 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
They mask steroids.

Maybe his new nickname should be Octo-Manny...

Posted by: dclifer | May 7, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Awwww, you win 1a!

Manny Being Tranny it is!

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Nats pick up Villone's contract, designate Hinckley for assignment.

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | May 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I just read "Manny Being Tranny" aloud in the office and it drew huge applause. Nice one, 1a. Too bad we're not a tabloid...

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | May 7, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Unamed source inside the Dodger organization says he did use a PED, but not for baseball performance.

Hahahaha....greatest excuse ever!!!

Posted by: kingtutts | May 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Tracee, just go with it and bill it as part of the shake-ups.

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tracee. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 7, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed Peter Gammons' "reporting" on the Manny story? He seems awfully comfortable repeating Manny's excuse (it's a "personal issue" and his doctor just messed up) without any skepticism. He actually said "I don't think this has anything to do with HGH or steroids. I believe Manny." I thnk he may already be regretting that statement.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

They mask steroids.
Posted by: dclifer
--------------------------

Ah, now it all makes sense!
Thanksmuch dcl!

Posted by: HotNats | May 7, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"When Manny comes back, the PA system should play "More Than A Woman" by Tavares when he bats..."

Dude Looks Like a Lady?

Posted by: Section506 | May 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman?

Posted by: DesertNat | May 7, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Article on Bonds' alleged drug use including Clomid, a female fertility drug, which is "used to enhance the effect of testosterone." Maybe my use of "masking" was incorrect.

Posted by: dclifer | May 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

SIGN PEDRO TO CLOSE, NOW!

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | May 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Has anyone noticed Peter Gammons' "reporting" on the Manny story? He seems awfully comfortable repeating Manny's excuse..."

Gammons has always been a steroid apologist and refuses to believe how widespread the problem is. At least Manny's best friend Julian is there in LA right now for him.

Posted by: skippy1999 | May 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Feds: Fertility Drug Helped Bonds Mask Steroids

Posted by: dclifer | May 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

as far as Strasberg goes, you know this is the Senators we're talking about? Something bad will happen. His arm will fall off or something. Nats would be better served to trade down and pick up about 10 picks for this pick.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Great 1a!
You had a lot to work with and you worked it well.
You just can't make this stuff up.

Ok, who's next?

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 7, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Wait, now I think my snark meter's busted.

-----

ESPN says he took a women's fertility drug.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Woman, oh, woman, have you got cheating on your mind?

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Nats would be better served to trade down and pick up about 10 picks for this pick."

You can't trade down in baseball.

Posted by: dclifer | May 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I hope Strasburg and Manny only have the same agent, if you know what I mean...

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

You can't trade down in baseball.
Posted by: dclifer

Is that true? You're not allowed to trade your picks? Why?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

theo epstein is laughing his ass off somewhere in new england right now.

Posted by: surly_w | May 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

dovelevine, baseball simply doesn't allow it. I think they should but they don't. Never have. Posted by: baltova1

Well as George Costanza would say: That's really not fair is it?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I guess the theory is that allowing teams to trade picks would give leverage to the player and agent, e.g. "If you don't want to pay $$$ to sign my guy, then trade the pick." In reality, small-market teams sometimes pass over the player (e.g. Porcello) with the absurd demands. Also, Crow's agent last year said to the Nats, in effect, why did you draft him when we clearly stated that his bonus demand would be [this] amount.

Posted by: dclifer | May 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

forgot who made the point earlier about the problem with the nats using so many newly converted starters as relievers is that those guys aren't used to bailing out other starters but are the ones who are looking towards the bullpen when THEY get in trouble. most starting pitchers aren't as resilient as guys who have always been in the pen and maybe that's why they nibble so much. hinckley and mock particularly have that deer in the headlights look when they have to come in with men on base. memo to rizzo: next winter sign as many true relief pitchers as possible to non-guaranteed minor league deals, bring them all to camp and let the saint sort them out. couldn't hurt.

Posted by: surly_w | May 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

also about gammons "reporting" on manny being minnie, remember he was the espn stooge a-roid had "interview" him when that story broke. used to love gammons as a baseball beat writer and columnist for the boston globe, but he's jumped the shark since going to espn.

Posted by: surly_w | May 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I just had a stray vision of George Costanza trying to explain to Kramer why Manny Ramirez was taking a female fertility drug....

Posted by: baltova1 | May 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hinckley in 2009:

vs RHB 27PA 18AB 7H 9BB 3K
vs LHB 17PA 13AB 1H 2BB 1HBP 0K

Righties: .389/.593/.611 (1.204 OPS)

Lefties: .077/.250/.077 (.327 OPS)

just throwing some stats out there, so the Phil Wood-ites can discuss them.

Posted by: MrMadison | May 7, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Mad

the bottom line is that no relief pitcher can keep a job in the majors by allowing two runners per inning. nats fans have to stop being seduced by such small sample sizes as what hinckley did late last year under no pressure on a team going nowhere.

Posted by: surly_w | May 7, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

No to BERGMANN. Yes to Clippard. Goodbye to Hinckley.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 7, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

yet he faced right-handers a lot more than left-handers.

why is that?

Posted by: MrMadison | May 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Is there any discussion about when the Nats are gonna shut down the D Cabrera experiment? This guy stinks. Enough already.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ok, not a LOT more...but more than he should have.

Posted by: MrMadison | May 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

new post.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 7, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dovelevine | May 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

everyone on the face of the planet, except Jim Bowden, Stan Kasten, and the Lerners knew that Cabrera is terrible. they need to stop being stubborn and just call up Stammen or balester and cut bait on Cabrera.

Posted by: MrMadison | May 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

What made Jim Bowden think he was smarter than Andy MacPhail?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 7, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

When you only have one lefty in the bullpen you can't afford to use him as a LOOGY. Mike was screwed when they cut one lefty and the other went on the DL. Mike will be back in the majors. Probably not as a National.

Posted by: ecmdfan | May 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

>Surly - my point was that Hinckley is a LOOGY. against left-handers he was pretty darn good. against right-handers he was TERRIBLE.

yet he faced right-handers a lot more than left-handers.

why is that?

Like I said before, his curveball works best against lefties, and goes right into the power zone for righties.

I guess you really can fire the team. They end up with Villone, who's died at least 5 times already. HOW LONG would Villone be with us ANYWAY?? And we completely cut Hinckley loose. Get real

But they continue to keep Acta. Somebody blow my friggin head off.

Posted by: Brue | May 7, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Where's mike Stanton when you need him?

Posted by: aspenbubba | May 7, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Were but that fear of pitching to contact was the root problem here...unfortunately I think it's more just an inability to throw quality strikes when required...

Posted by: evanescent_panoply | May 7, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse