Manny On Manny

Acta shares some thoughts on Ramirez

Q: Your reaction to Manny Ramirez?

It is sad. To me, it's sad, because this guy is going to get his name tainted basically now forever, and this guy is one of the greatest right-handed hitters ever to put a uniform on. I don't know all of the facts, but I wouldn't change the way anything this guy has done in his career, because this guy, starting in high school up until today, he's always been a stud. And I know there's a list this long of the guys who have been tainted, but the guys that have accomplished as much as he has, that list is very short. So I refuse to believe that whatever they were doing helped him to accomplish what he has so far.

Q: When you hear something like this, do you still get surprised?

Jeez, you don't want to characterize anybody, but nowadays, after the names that have come out, no name that comes out surprises you anymore. Because it's a wide range. A lot of people don't understand that every guy that gets penalized, it's not because he got caught with a syringe on his arm. It had to do with a lot of substances that are not allowed that can trigger a positive test, and then everybody gets penalized the same way. But it doesn't surprise me.

Q: Is he a Hall of Famer?

I've said already that none of those guys who've done what they've done -- my personal opinion, you can't take anything away from what they've done. I don't think you can just go to the Gold's Gym and bring a guy into the Major Leagues and hit 500 home runs. Those guys have a unique ability. Look at the list, and how many of the guys on the list aren't able to do what some of those guys have done. It's my personal opinion.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 7, 2009; 9:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: Zimmerman Extends Streak To 25

Comments

Atta boy, Zim, way to get that quarter-century shot right out of the gate!!!
(Allrighty Dunnkey, get a shot right out of the park)

Posted by: HotNats | May 7, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

another new post

Posted by: BGinVA | May 7, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Six run first inning including a slam and Lumpy and Dukes watching a ball land between them?

When do we just scream overs and give it up...???

Posted by: randy_boyd | May 7, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

well at least you don't have to stay up tonight its over already. Zimmerman has plenty of learning to do, so far this year the league has figured him out pretty fast. Dukes sure ain't a center fielder! Pathetic all around and the cycle continues.

Posted by: bendersx6 | May 7, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

In honor of the ongoing comic hijinks of our pitchers and fielders, I would like to propose nicknames for them respectively, "Charlie Brown" and "Lucy", or collectively as just "The Peanuts Gang", with apologies to Charles Schulz and baseball fans everywhere...

Posted by: evanescent_panoply | May 7, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

What is Manny (Acta) talking about? He seems clueless about PED's.

Posted by: paulkp | May 8, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of his but not at all impressed by Acta's comments on PEDs.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 8, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

OTOH, this kid's comments are right on the money:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 8, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse