Morning Reading

* Here is my gamer from yesterday. If instant replay hadn't stolen the story, this would have perhaps been the day to write about Austin Kearns, whose recent month can be summed up by its most typical moment -- a slow ground ball to the left side of the infield with runners on base. Yesterday, Kearns went 0-for-5, with 5 runners left on base. He struck out in the ninth against Francisco Rodriguez with two on.

* Weakened by injuries, including this one, Mets' lineup had a total of 16 homers entering last night's game. So who's stepped into the void? The clean-up hitter by default, Gary Sheffield. And at least for the moment, he's carrying the load quite well.

* The fan's name: Ryan Longchamps, of New Rochelle. (For the record, he thinks it was a home run.)

* San Diego State's baseball team is heading to the NCAA Tournament. Stephen Strasburg will pitch against UVA. And Rusty Filter, who should be driving a racecar with a Home Depot paint job, is screaming with excitement.

* In other news, Daniel Cabrera continues to look like Daniel Cabrera.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 26, 2009; 9:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Reviewed, Debated Home Run
Next: Tonight's Lineups

Comments

Cabrera and Kearns, I must admit, are now just taking up space for a deserving ball player. I now agree, it is time to say bye-bye. Kearns is outstanding as a fielder, but his bat has become woeful and just doesn't show any sign of coming out of the funk. As for Cabrera, I don't see any hope or promise at all...none.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I've tried searching for info on if game one of SDSU/UVA will be televised, but no luck. Does anyone know if it will?

Posted by: Section138 | May 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure whether the SDSU / UVA game will be televised, but the first game scheduled is late Friday afternoon (ESPN / ESPNU are showing games from the regionals.) My guess is that, given the interest in both UVA, generally (ACC and all that), and Strasburg, in particular, they will probably show that game if schedule permits. I'm assuming that Strasburg is the Friday night pitcher.

By the way, on the double that was called a home run Bud the Dumb screwed up, again. I understand the concept of "getting it right", and that is what has been pushed in every level of umpiring for a number of years, now. It is a change in philosophy that is very good for the game, but...to call into question umpires' decisions and then not get it right really harms the whole concept.

Posted by: Catcher50 | May 26, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Austin Kearns is a wonderful human being, a great clubhouse presence, and a kind husband and father. That said, light-hitting shortstops, second basemen and truly outstanding center fielders can be tolerated. Light-hitting right fielders cannot. Then again, neither can managers with the tenth-worst winning percentage of all time. OF ALL TIME! Of course I would never have guessed that the active manager with the best winning percentage out of those with enough games to qualify is Ken Macha. You could probably win more than a few bets with that little tidbit.

Posted by: truke | May 26, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Nats should simply cut ties with Cabrerra and bring up Tyler Clippard. I'm tired of this "project" not performing while a AAA prospect is rotting on the vine and has performed for a while!

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 26, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

mlbtraderumors has the Rosenthal saying the RedSox are hearing offers for Daniel Bard, but only for a hitter that they can control for a long period of time.

And I know Dukes provides protection and power in the lineup, but what are the long term chances he stays healthy playing everyday for us. At least there he could DH when his hamstring flares up.

Posted by: wrw0601 | May 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Given that the team is in a nosedive, what happens to the Natmosphere if Strasburg gets bombed by UVA? I still find his competition this year to be wholly lacking in quality.

Posted by: ckstevenson | May 26, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

For Bard? No, we need Dukes' bat too, too much. I know you can never have too much pitching, but the Nats have not even close to enough hitting and can afford to do a little there with the crew they have coming up on the mound.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Amen to the Strasburg and the level of competition comment. Sure he's got filthy stuff, but up until now that's in a good, but not great conference. See how he does in the series against better college hitters - remember these ARE college hitters. Just a little perspective.

Furthermore, the Nats are going to have to, if they aren't already doing it blow up several pieces of the existing lineup to get some quality depth. Do we honestly think a lineup of Kearns, Johnson, Dunn, Willingham, and Dukes represents the future?

Posted by: bendersx6 | May 26, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Dukes is a very valuable trade piece. I have not problem trading him so long as we get something equally terrifying back. Which is unlikely because of the various unsubstantiated and borderline racist accusations that he is a clubhouse cancer.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 26, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Do we honestly think a lineup of Kearns, Johnson, Dunn, Willingham, and Dukes represents the future?"

Remove the first name off that list and I see no problem with it.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

According to the WTimes, the umpires only have access to the local feed (Mets, in this case). Is this true??!?

I think the MASN feed had a much better angle on it. From it, it looked like there was no way it would stand as a HR.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 26, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Plus sa change, plus sa meme.

By the way, if even Dibble has noticed that Kearns still swings for the fences with his big bat and two strikes, why doesn't some enterprising reporter ask Manny, the batting coach or the great man (Kearns) himself why he is being so stubborn, and unsuccessful, in trying to pull the ball?

Posted by: JohnRDC | May 26, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"The fact of the matter is that no above .500 teams will be interested in taking anyone the Nats have to peddle: Kearns, Willingham, Dukes, Johnson. You name 'em. These guys do represent the future, (our future, at least) or else we will get similar re-treads from below .500 teams in return."

My own opinion on these four is as follows:

Next most valuable would be Willingham, but that relies on a contending team's left fielder getting hurt, I think, otherwise he's a spare part.

Then there's Johnson, who is not the valuable commodity that we believe he is. He's bargain bin, still, because his injury history is too great for any contending team to rely on him down the stretch and and rebuilding team to make him a cornerstone.

Finally, Kearns, who is just simply paid too much for his production. Offer him with an agreement to eat his salary, however, and I bet he could be appealing to some teams with outfield defense concerns.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

All Star Voting ---
What are your opinions of it?
Personally, I'd rather have the players vote, because I'm tired of having a Yankees/Red Sox AL starting lineup. But also, fans generally ignore the players who are having exceptionally good years, instead voting for the perennial all-stars.

Did you know that after 1957 (when 7 Reds were voted to the starting AS lineup), MLB stopped fan voting for several years?

I say, let's start the movement. Vote in our Nats (well, at least Z'man, Dunn, NJ, and Guz). We get 25 votes per email address, and MLB saves your votes, thus encouraging multiple voting. I just voted 25 times for those four and encourage everyone to do the same. Besides, with the vast number of monikers on this site, you don't even have to create new email addresses...

I also like the idea that Chris(?) has of voting in Lastings.

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 26, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

No one wants Dukes, especially winning teams. Tyler Clippard has had two shots in the majors and was hit hard. A real prospect is Zinicola. At least he is an unknown quantity. We can't keep bringing up everybody else's throw aways. We have to reward our own draft choices.

Posted by: natsguy | May 26, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

John

I think you are being a bit tough on Dukes and Johnson there.

And if we pay their salaries we might be able to get a slice of pie and a cup of coffee for the other two.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 26, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not seeing any published reports anywhere that specifically say, "Strasburg will start against UVA." Can someone post a link that states that? The referenced link in this posting to signonsandiego.com doesn't even mention Strasburg's name, let alone a rotation plan for the weekend regional.

I don't think its that obvious that Strasburg goes in the first game frankly. If SDSU go with #2 starter in the opener and gets the win, then they throw Strasburg against Irvine and have to win exactly one more game to advance. If they lose the opener, then they're losing the tournament anyway b/c their #3 and #4 starters aren't going to beat top-ranked teams later in the regional.

Posted by: tboss | May 26, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

STOP ASKING MANNY ANYTHING!! He doesn't know jack krap about his job he has no baseball DNA period, he should have been fired weeks ago!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 26, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Dukes has a fair amount of value, but is still damaged goods based on his time with Tampa and will command a discount."

Delmon Young was "damaged" to some extent and the Rays got Garza.

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 26, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"While he is still damaged goods, he should return much better value than what we gave up to get him, right? "

Seems true to me. But not what he's worth, I bet another year or two and his worth would be tremendous.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

And Brendan Harris.

-----

Delmon Young was "damaged" to some extent and the Rays got Garza.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 26, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"Fire Acta"

Manny Acta should be fired
cuz the slump in which we're mired
will quickly be retired once he's canned

All the pitchers would get smarter
and they'd throw a whole lot harder
if only Gary Carter were The Man

Gary would show Ryan
how to throw the ball on line
without even really trying very hard

Guzzie'd learn to walk
or else hit triples down the chalk,
and fans would start to flock into the yard

Gary'd hit the cutoff man,
at bat with RISP he'd never fan,
and he'd give the back of his hand to the ump

When a strike was called a ball
or vicey-verse, he'd take the fall
and fire 'em up by calling him a chump

Gary'd never make an error,
and he'd be a holy terror
on the bases, why Texiera will be green!

Acta cannot bunt it fair
and he never throws a chair
and why doesn't he have any hair? It's obscene!

What's that you say?
He doesn't play?
And doesn't write the checks they pay?
Well fire the bastard anyway!

Posted by: nationalsanthems | May 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

If his salary was not so high, Kearns might be viewed as a great resource to have on the team as a fourth/fifth outfielder. He is a very good outfielder in terms of range, arm, judgement, hustle, etc... But, we are now in year three of the "can't hit before July" pattern and he had significant injuries last year. I like him very much, but there is no queston that we need more offensively than he has been able to deliver out of that slot. His OBA is a reasonable .341, but his avg of .213 and SLG of .389 are unacceptable. Worse his RISP is .207 and his avg against LH pitching is only .115 this year.

His glove is badly needed, but at this point he offers nothing offensively that Corey Patterson or Ryan Langerhans could not offer. (Not that I'm advocating that they cut Kearns in favor of either of them.)

It seems our best offensive lineup until Dukes gets back may be Willingham, Harris, and Dunn. But that lineup will give up a few hits and a few extra bases that a better defensive lineup would not conceed.

I still think Kearns could help a team like the Yankees or the Mets. (frankly, I'd take Kearns for Church) Maybe a trade can be worked out. I wish the best for him, but its time to start producing.

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 26, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"All Star Voting ---
What are your opinions of it?"

I can (and have) cast 25 on-line ballots in the same time it took me to punch the holes and remove the dangling chads in just one paper ballot at the ballpark. I can't believe that each one of my 25 online votes counts equal to that one ballpark ballot - assuming of course it even gets picked up from the bin and counted at all. Does it really work that way? Either way, the All Star balloting process is a farce. I actually hope the Sons Of Sam Horn and Chris Needham are successful in their campaign to get Milledge elected, just to point that out to Bud Selig. I'd love to have him engage his Solomon-like decision powers on that one. Have Lastings play half the game, or with one hand (presumably his injured one) tied behind his back? Your call, Bud.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@Tboss
"I'm not seeing any published reports anywhere that specifically say, "Strasburg will start against UVA."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gwynn is being cryptic, for sure. "[Gwynn]said he was inclined, but not yet committed, to keeping the unbeaten Stephen Strasburg on his regular turn for Friday's first-round game against Virginia at UC Irvine."
I hope it's Friday, because that's a 7 pm ET start.

Posted by: Section138 | May 26, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I am in tears, nationalsanthem. Well done.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Whether the all-star voting is fair or not isn't going to change reality: The Nats will get one player on the team. I hope it's Zim, but I'm certainly not expecting he'll be voted on.

Posted by: nats24 | May 26, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It would take a lot of commitment, but if we all spent half the time we do on the NJ filling out online ballots, we might see Willie Harris starting in CF...

Posted by: dclifer97 | May 26, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 26, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals made the news again this morning. Apparently they spelled Roosevelt wrong on the bobble head dolls. It was spelled Rosevelt. Who is running the show? From the looks of the spelling on this site must be someone from here.

Posted by: natsguy | May 26, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Does it even need to be said? Post of the Day, nationalsanthems. But everyone else already knew that."

Yeah, nice try. But they're still not gonna fire Manny until after the season, if then.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Tim Kurkjian, in a recent ESPN.com article, wrote that an unnamed Nationals player said that the clubhouse would be a happier place with Dukes gone.

Who do you guys think said that?

I think Kearns, possibly. Or Milledge. My guess is its probably an outfielder who underperforms but puts himself off as a nice guy. Probably someone competing with him for a starting spot.

Dukes isn't a saint (see arrest record), but he can definitely light things up. I value the latter trait more.

Posted by: jboogie1 | May 26, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Natsguy, it's all on the Bog:

Funny read, as usual.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 26, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

My point was that everyone knew it was the best post before I went and made that proclamation.

And the poem isn't really advocating for Manny's dismissal, either.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 26, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, nunof, you might want to re-read the post if you think it was advocating Manny's removal.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Cabrera and Kearns are similar in their consistent expression of weakness. Cabrera is too mechanically challenged to ever develop any type of control. Kearns keeps on with the same batting stance and lack of results as he has in the past. He gets fastballs under his hands for called strikes and then corveballs and sliders low and away for the SO or weak ground ball to the left side as he tries to pull.
Batting him 5th is simply atrocious. As Dibble said last night he will never see a fastball (except under his hands)as long as he tries to pull the breaking pitch low and away. Of course having Dukes back will get him out of the lineup but what's the point of keeping him and Cabrera on the roster? The idea suggested in the paper today that Cabrera will be needed later when the young pitchers max out on innings is absurd. He's not an innings eater -- he's a bullpen killer. Time to pull the plug on this $10M disaster package and move on.

Posted by: SackMan | May 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"mlbtraderumors has the Rosenthal saying the RedSox are hearing offers for Daniel Bard ...
I see the nationals being able to trade Elijah Dukes and Nick Johnson to the RedSox for Daniel Bard, and a few prospects. What do you think?"

"Posted by: wrw0601 | May 26, 2009"

Bard's whip is 1.40. In just FIVE innings of pitching? I think they can reach down and bring up guys from Syracuse who can do just as well. He's not a starter, not a closer. 1 BB, and 6 HITS!

And you'd trade Nick for that guy? You must have been smoking some strange stuff this memorial day along with Daniel M. Snyder. They really do have guys down there who deserve a shot first. The only diff here is the guy is a lefty and could ostensibly replace Hinckley as a "prospect".

The way these guys have been playing (Nick, Dukes et al) I think they are worth a Peavy. If I were Rizzo that is what I would be trying to convince the owners about ... he really could be the last critical component the Nats need to go from perennial losers to winners.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Kearns isn't just his performance. That may improve with time. Its the fact that both he and Willingham are right handed hitters on a team that really could use another slugging lefty. This becomes even more acute if they decided to part with Johnson. I think they should re-up the guy now, take the chance. Take a chance on this guy, he is less risky than a Dukes and a Millege. Maxwell looks pretty poor at the plate. Marerro looks to be the only guy they can really look to ... although Langerhans appears to be improving down in Syracuse. But he is an older guy.

That's what makes Dmitri so valuable when he is healthy. He hits, hits extremely well and he is a switch hitter.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"The way these guys have been playing (Nick, Dukes et al) I think they are worth a Peavy. If I were Rizzo that is what I would be trying to convince the owners about ..."

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Whether anyone on this board thinks that Johnson and Dukes are worth a Peavy, I'm fairly convinced the Padres won't.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 26, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Nationalsanthem, Damon Runyon would be proud of you.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 26, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Tyler Clippard has had two shots in the majors and was hit hard"

Look at Clippards Splits. He is good until the second or 3rd time through the lineup. Hence why they've put him in the pen

Posted by: JDB1 | May 26, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm maybe Bard is on their radar although I think Nick and Dukes would be giving up way too much.

The only lefties down in SYR and Harrisburg are O'Connor and Ledezema. Both are having problems. Zenicola is a righty / closer who appears to be having some success ... but he's still a work in progress.

I still think it would be better to try to get Peavy to replace Cabrera if they are going to make a deal. They can dump Wells and bring up a guy like JD Martin. Bally is starting to right himself.

Looks like they do need lefties.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Clippard should be called up eventually. But I think they want to build his confidence. He used to be a starter and his being "converted". He is doing well, probably the best of all the pitchers down in the minors.

But these aren't lefties. Olsen?

With Strasberg and another pitcher they draft and **SIGN** they should have a well rounded starting pitching staff.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"I think Rizzo and the Lerners both are smart enough to know that Peavy has a no-trade clause. He ain't coming here no matter what."

"Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009"

With all of the soap opera revolving around this team it is very, very close to being a contender. Peavy plus the impending draft might just put them well over the top. Peavy and his agent should be able to see that?

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, he nixed a contender in the White Sox. He wants to stay in the National league. I should think he would prefer the Nats over the Brewers and Milwaukee."

It was reported at the time he nixed the Whie Sox deal that the Nats are on the list of teams to which he will not accept a trade. My apologies for not including a citation, but I can't remember right now where I saw that.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Are all these posts serious?

Posted by: RickFelt | May 26, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm coming to the conclusion that Manny will suffer the same fate that FROBBY and PTBowden did. Instead of firing the man the LernerStans will spin some goofy story around mid-Septemeber and then make Manny resign at the end of the season. Six months later they will run around telling everyone that he actually didn't resign, he was fired. Knowing damn well at that point no one will care one way or another. Gutless and ruthless are these shopping mall magnets.

DCab needs to be DFA'd NOW!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Nats are not close to being a contender. Peavy is not coming here. The Front Office needs to be working very hard at making trades that make sense for the Nats future and that also means getting young major-leagure ready talent in place - not just pitching. There are very very few options in the minors that can solve this teams weaknesses in their everyday lineup. Really, besides RZimm, Guzman, Dukes (big maybe) who else can honestly be counted on to build this lineup? Remeber, if the Nats are going to contend the blocks need to be built now, they were way behind to start with.

Posted by: bendersx6 | May 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Bad teams keep bad ineffective players on their teams for years and years---See Nats and Austin Kearns.
He has literally stunk for what--3 years now or so and yet there he was yesterday, batting 5th (YES FOLKS FIFTH) in the lineup with a whopping .213 average. This of course after finishing last season with a mighty .217 average. Yet Manny Acta replaced Dukes with Kearns in the lineup beginning with opening game.
BUt remember Austin Kearns is such a nice guy. So keep plugging him in there and keep hurting the team Manny.
Go ye Mighty Nats.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

BTW as bad as Bowden was and he was pretty bad, you gotta give him props for getting Martis from the Giants for Stanten. That's a pretty good steal. Who knew?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Peavy is not coming to the Nats. It seems very far fetched (I was thinking of using the word delusional - but used restraint).

It's not that the Nats could not put a package together. They might be able to if the Padres were willing to go for ZimmermaNN and/or Detwiller in a multi-player offer. It's that the Nats are unlikely to offer as much as a contending team would. And that Peavy would not be very motivated to accept the deal.

If Peavy comes east coast it will likely be to the Mets, Phillies, or Braves. But the Braves would not give up Hanson last winter, the Mets don't have any young stud pitchers, and the Phllies don't appear to need him bad enoough to pay the price.

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 26, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is not the reason this team is losing. See Bullpen

Posted by: Tom8 | May 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

no pitcher is going to want the worst fielding team in history behind them. especially one bent on putting dunn at 1st base. it's why we have to develop starters. or get lucky in trades.

regarding that tim kurkjian article: they would all be happier if they won. strange enough that's what they actually get paid to do! making it about one person seems odd. especially one who makes them a better team. i've seen zimmerman patting dukes on the back after a hit in the dugout. that's good enough for me. they could be like kent/bonds for all i care. but no way is the chemistry as bad as last year.

Posted by: longterm | May 26, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Just an update...
Harrisburg is so HORRIBLE and the coach is calling out his players

Senators manager John Stearns yanked two veterans from the starting lineup for showing suspicious effort on the field and probably would have pulled even more if he had the resources to replace them. Guzman was axed after he managed just a single on a ball off the wall in the third inning, a hit that scored Ofilio Castro from first. And C Luke Montz was erased after casually throwing the ball back to RHP Zack Segovia as Baysox baserunners Daniel Figueroa and Dave Krynzel stole third and second base in the sixth. ... Stearns also questioned the inability of LHP Justin Jones and Segovia to hold runners on base -- Bowie totaled five steals against them -- and the overall decision-making by his defense

“That was embarrassing and totally unacceptable. Play like that does not go unnoticed. For some reason this club sometimes plays ball like it's Rookie League. We've had way too many meetings, and when you have this many meetings, you'll have a record like we've got. These are things we shouldn't have to address at this level, but we'll address it like they're first-year players." -- Stearns.

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 26, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Cheer up fans, it will get better someday, maybe not today, but someday.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 26, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is not the reason this team is losing. See Bullpen Posted by: Tom8

You sure your name aint Manny?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is not the reason this team is losing.

That's true. It's not his fault he's being put in the middle of the lineup every game.

Posted by: RickFelt | May 26, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is not the reason this team is losing.

But he is sure one of the reasons it aint winning.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is not the reason this team is losing. See Bullpen

He's not the reason their losing, but he ain't helping them win. Also, the bullpen did a pretty good job yesterday (except for D.Cab) and they at least gave them a CHANCE to win.

Kearns hasn't done anything. He needs to go!

Posted by: FloresFan | May 26, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

This may seem hard to believe but Kearns somehow has the 6th most AB's on the team and if he starts tonight will have the 5th most so he is getting the AB's! His RBI production is poor. 15 RBI's in 108 AB's just won't cut it in the middle of the order. Willie Harris has quietly returned to 2008 form. .427 OBP for Harris is huge.

I see Dunn in LF, Dukes in CF, and Willie Harris in RF.

This team offense will pick up with Dukes and Flores adding their punch back in this offense. Props to Wil Nieves and Bard for stepping up.

DCab is taking up space. No help to anyone. Its a big mistake, move on....

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 26, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be red meat for the Kearns hate, but one thing to point out - UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) has Kearns so far this year at a -2.9 UZR/150, which means over the course of 150 games, he's costing his team 3 runs in the field - so he's basically a no damage/no gain RF'er. That sort of cuts against the "great" defensive rep he's got - I'm wondering if the paradox of catching defense maybe has a little known Kearns corollary.

This comes after his defensive metrics basically made him a teensy shade above dead average last year, too. Couple that with his 90 OPS+ so far, and you've got a guy with basically below-MLB skills. At some point, you've got to say that he's either hurt, or forgotten how to play. The '06-'07 Kearns (who was +17 runs each year in RF and solidly above MLB average with the bat) is gone. If Rizzo can find anybody willing to part with a potentially MLB-level bullpen arm, he ought to take it. At this point, he's like Langerhans, minus the defense and minus the ability to play multiple positions. I could make a pretty good statistical argument that when Dukes is ready to play again, the Nats would be better off DFA'ing Kearns, calling up Langerhans and going to war with a Willingham-Dukes-Dunn OF with Langerhans spelling the righties from time to time.

By the way, Langerhans is OPS-ing .950 so far in AAA. And he's all of three months older than Kearns.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | May 26, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

periculum

Bard was a #1 pick for the Red Sox in 2006. He is said to throw at near 100 mph, with a curve in the 70's and a slider in the 80's. He struggled initially as a starter, getting hammered the second time through the lineup. But once he moved to a reliever he has posted ERA's under 2.00 for two and a half seasons. He has the make up of a Jonathan Papelbon. He would be the anchor for the back end of the Nats bullpen for the next 5 years. I would gladly trade Dukes a player who has never played in more than 80 games for a possible stud closer. Throw in Johnson for a few AA hitting and pitching prospects. It would allow the Red Sox to maximize their chance this seasons, while giving us a chance to be really good in two or three seasons.
Just a thought.

Posted by: wrw0601 | May 26, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

>>Kearns is not the reason this team is losing

My question is after all this time, how and why are we still discussing Austin Kearns. On a reasonably run good team or even just a well run team, he would have been gone ages ago. Whyare we still having this discussion? ANd when you find the answer to that question, it will answer a whole lot of others as well.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I didn't think of this. I added up the numbers of errors for the "worst fielding team in baseball" that is a "disgrace" and "laughingstock" around the league.

They equal 45, you knew that.

But then I divided them up amongst the pitchers that the defense pitches behind.

The worst? You know who it is.

1. Daniel Cabrera, pitching 40 innings, had 11 errors committed around him (.275 E/IP)
2. Lannan is next, with 8 over 57 IP, (.140 E/IP).
3. Then Olsen is 4 (one of them his own) over 41 IP (.098 E/IP)

4. Detwiler 3 in 11 IP (.273 E/IP)
4. Tavarez 3 in 18 IP (.167 E/IP)
4. Wells 3 in 21 IP (.143 E/IP)
4. Hanrahan 3 in 21.1 IP (.141 E/IP)
8. Martis 2 in 53.2 IP (.037 E/IP)
8. Colome 2 in (.667 E/IP)
10. Zimmermann 1 in 41 (.024)*
10. Beimel 1 in 18 (.056)
10. Mock 1 in 13 (.077)
10. Bergmann 1 in 7.1 (.141)
10. Ledezma 1 in 5.2 (.176)
10. Kensing 1 in 5

*his own error

Now, naturally, a pitcher is not responsible for the errors, it is still a fielder's responsibility. But how a pitcher pitches can make it easier or harder to commit an error. Without D-Cab pitching, the Nationals could very well not be the worst fielding team in baseball.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Keanrs is not the reason we are losing. Neither are any of the other 24 indivduals on the team. The question is not who is responsible for the failures, the question is who is responsible for bringing the team success.

I like Kearns. But, he needs to produce offense. He's had almost three years in DC to produce. I really do respect his efforts. Its the results that need to be better.

Right now there does not seem to be an easy solution. He's too good to cut, too expensive to trade for value, and too unproductive to hit fifth. He's the only healthy quality rightfielder on the roster. He has not demonstrated a skill for pinch-hitting. So. It would appear the best thing to do is to continue splitting time between Kearns and Willingham until one clearly outplays the other. If Willingham had Kearns defenisve prowess, it would already be decided.

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 26, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually with dove - there's no way Kearns should be getting playing time at this point. Despite his ugly .213 BA, Willingham is basically doing what he always does - getting on base at around a .350 clip and slugging about .470. By the way, the defensive metrics don't hate him as much as you might think, either - except for a lousy '07, he's basically been within 2-3 runs of 0 UZR his whole career, which is basically what Kearns is now.

So, bottom line - every AB Kearns gets instead of Willingham, we're trading away 80 points of slugging percentage for the joy of seeing Austin's "I'll try harder next time" face.

Yes, it's the bullpen costing us games - and it's the bullpen that needs to get better for us to win consistently, but there's really no good excuse for constantly running out an assortment of players who aren't good enough to be MLB regulars anymore. This is the nonsense we endured last year with Kearns...and LoDuca...and Belliard.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | May 26, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"My question is after all this time, how and why are we still discussing Austin Kearns. On a reasonably run good team or even just a well run team, he would have been gone ages ago. Why are we still having this discussion?"

Because in 2007 Jim Bowden signed him to a contract worth $3.5M in 2007, $5M in 2008, $8M in 2009 and with a team option of $10M/player option of $1M in 2010. At a guaranteed $17.5M, prior to the Zimmerman contract that represented the largest non-FA contract ever awarded by the Nationals. People complain all the time about the DYoung contract, the Belliard contract, the Guzman contract and even the Johnson contract. But the thing is, at some point those guys actually gave something back for all the money they were paid - even if only for a brief little while. Kearns has shown nothing yet to justify the money he's getting. He has to be Bowden's biggest mistake as GM. Bowden is gone, but the Nats are still paying for that mistake.

"ANd when you find the answer to that question, it will answer a whole lot of others as well."

There you go.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

This is not a fact, just because you say it is. Why not just say "I really strongly believe" or "I hold this opinion firmly" instead of muddying up the waters trying to pass off an opinion you have arrived at after contemplation as if it was a fact. Facts were what led you to this conclusion, the conclusion itself is not fact."

Sec. 506: Thanks for reading my post. Let's compare notes around Sept. 1. I will bet my use of the expression "fact of the matter" has stood the test of time.

Posted by: JohnRDC | May 26, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Kearns, Langerhans, Bard, Cintron, DCab, Jimenez, etc.etc, the consumate 4A'ers that bad teams latch onto because no one else wants them.

Case in point, the Mets were looking around for corner outfield help last year and again this year. Of course the NY media is screaming Manny, Manny, Manny (and no not DC Manny), what does "Omar the Terrible" do, he signs reclamation project #1 Fernando Tatis for 2008 and the reclamation project #2 Gary Sheffield for 2009, hows that working out for the Mets?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 26, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

>>Austin Kearns

One last time. Austin Kearns is not the problem. THe Nats management is the problem. Every team makes bad decisions on trades and signings. The problem is after all these years, that Kearns is still here. Good teams that make bad decisions find way to extricate themselves from those decisions.
OK you made a mistake. But why are you compounding it by still having it festering years later. That's the point.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"I will bet my use of the expression 'fact of the matter' has stood the test of time."

Well, if you want to be like that then you'd have to say that "no team above .500 would take anyone the Nats have to peddle for the price they were peddling" and that it has "stood the test of this year's trade deadline."

Why not just admit it's your opinion or even your theory?

Regardless, I'd be interested in hearing why Dukes is not of interest to an above .500 team. And this is assuming no injuries, right, or do you think a team with major injuries still wouldn't want them?

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

There you go.
Posted by: nunof1

Good point Nunof. But if you can't get rid of a mistake, which I'm not so sure of because there is a sucker born every minute (hey look at the Nats) how long are you going to keep that mistake around, no matter how expensive. What's the point? There comes a time when you have to just eat it and move on.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

506 - I wish it were that easy. I agree the fielding behind Cabrera's been terrible and some of that is likely due to the interminable at-bats he throws, but the defensive metrics that aren't error-dependent hate us, too. It's not just that we screw up a lot when we get to the ball - it's also that we just plain don't get to very many balls.

UZR is a pretty good measure of overall defensive ability, rating a player's ability to get to balls within his "zone" and those "out-of-zone." The Nats are an MLB-worst at -17.9 so far. That means, as a team, they're giving away 17.9 runs in the field as opposed to an average team. That's almost 2 wins right there.

And here's the worst part - that's COUNTING Zimmerman. Take Zimm's personal +5 or so away, and the team is a -23. But that sort of stands to reason - think about this - outside of Zimmerman, which Nats fielders would you say have outstanding (or heck, even above average) range in the field. If a ball is hit into a hole near him, who other than Zimm do you trust to get there consistently? Off the top of my head, maybe, maybe Hernandez. Other than that, I think our guys are somewhere between average and not-so-hot.

One optimistic note. Zimm's a UZR/150 of right around 17 right now with an OPS+ of 158. David Wright is an OPS+ of 154 with a UZR/150 of -7.8. Larry Jones has got a 147 OPS+ and a UZR/150 of -23. By almost any count, we've got the best 3B in the division, and by extension in the NL. He's not getting anywhere near enough attention - our boy's all growed up.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | May 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"Every team makes bad decisions on trades and signings. The problem is after all these years, that Kearns is still here. Good teams that make bad decisions find way to extricate themselves from those decisions."

How often do you see a team sign a player to a 3+ year deal and then successfully extricate themselves from that deal prior to the last year because the player sucks? Giants couldn't do it with Zito, Tigers couldn't do it with Willis, etc, etc. And really, thanks to the 2010 team/player options we really haven't reached the last year of the Kearns deal yet. Unless they can figure out a way to trade him, he'll probably exercise his player option and show up at spring training next year like WMP did this year. That's the downside of "payroll" as an argument for what's a good team and what's not.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 26, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Agreed RE:I-295, but unfortunately I can't re-calculate UZR behind every pitcher at work and pretend I'm still earning my pay check in the same way I can with errors. For one thing, I don't know how to add UZR up.

What my simple breakdown meant to show is that errors behind Cabrera (there's a very childish portmanteau to be had there) are higher than we should expect. I would bet their zone rating suffers similarly.

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"Bard was a #1 pick for the Red Sox in 2006. He is said to throw at near 100 mph, with a curve in the 70's and a slider in the 80's. He struggled initially as a starter, getting hammered the second time through the lineup. But once he moved to a reliever he has posted ERA's under 2.00 for two and a half seasons. He has the make up of a Jonathan Papelbon."

Sounds an awful lot like a left-handed Hanrahan. Given that he is a 1st rounder, given the velocity, don't you wonder why he isn't being groomed as a closer? I do. He struggled as a starter?

Its harder to hit than to pitch in baseball. His big advantage appears to be, (at least to the Nats), is the fact that he is left handed fire-baller. I would trade a right-handed pitching prospect for him ... perhaps Balester, but not Johnson, perhaps Dukes if they could find a replacement approaching his skill set. Not happening I don't think?

Plus Bard has only pitched FIVE INNINGS? Allowing 7 hits and a base-on-balls. It doesn't sound promising to me?

Again, Guzzy looks to me like better trade bait? Everyone seems to need a shortstop. There are reasonable shortstops down in the minors. I think you could get a Peavy or equivalent for Guzzy and some select "prospects".

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Dear Chico,

Be nice if the WAPO included the WHIP as a stat column for pitchers as it is considered a better indicator of pitching performance than ERA?

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 26, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman and Johnson at the corners. You can't do better than that - fielding wise. More than fairly competitive hitting-wise as well!

I think Guz has seen better days. Hernandez, I'm not so sure. Have to wonder if the guys they have pegged for these positions in Harrisburg and Syracuse wouldn't be better over time?

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RickFelt | May 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"Actually the whole Hagerstown team is pretty dismal."

I meant Harrisburg.

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 26, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Congrats to Chris Marrero for being named Carolina League Player of the Week. The organization should promote him to AA for a challenge instead of letting their talent rot in Class A. Bill Rhinehart has proven he can't hit AA pitching. Actually the whole Hagerstown team is pretty dismal."

"Posted by: PNatsFan | May 26, 2009"

________________________________________________

Syracuse signed a guy named Mike Vento who is now playing outfield and 1st base. I don't know would he be better in Syracuse, moving Eldred to another position? Or to Harrisburg? Syracuse might make more sense? He is right handed though. A left handed 1st baseman is always better. Perhaps he can learn to be an outfielder in Syracuse?

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Balester for Bard? Guzman and a couple low level civs for Peavy? Why stop there? Why not Belliard for Pujols? Kearns for Josh Johnson and Hanley Ramirez?? Wheeeee this is fun!!"

...I nearly snarfed coffee all over my computer...thanks.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 26, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Rickfelt

You know the Red Sox have been sniffing around Johnson. I'll bet we could get Ellsury and Pedroia for him.

I mean. Why not?

Posted by: soundbloke | May 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I think Marrero should be moved to AA Harrisburg and leave Eldred at 1B in Syracuse. No need to "rush" Marrero, who was a 3B then converted to a corner OF then 1B. I think it's best to keep him at 1st and play him in AA and move current AA 1b to DH... Move current AA DH Matt Whitney to either Potomac or AAA. Matt Whitney is not part of "the future" here, while Brad Eldred (29 years old) might need the playing time now, if he is going to be called up to Washington if NJ or Dunn gets traded.

My fear is that Marrero will have a hard time adjusting to AA like Rhinehart. Other than Eldred (29) Marrero and Rhinehart are the only 1B "prospects" that the nats have.

"Syracuse signed a guy named Mike Vento who is now playing outfield and 1st base. I don't know would he be better in Syracuse, moving Eldred to another position? Or to Harrisburg? Syracuse might make more sense? "

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 26, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The reason this team is losing is defense and relief pitching. Not because Austin Kearns has had some bad AB's. In fact, I feel more comfortable having him in the outfield than Willingham or Dunn. Yes, it may serve the team better to move him around in the lineup, but it surely doesn't hurt them to have him in the field.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | May 26, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

My $.02:
- DFA Cabrera - if he accepts and nobody picks up salary, he can pitch end of year as mop up.
- Nun is right - hard to get rid of a big contract when the player has bad numbers. I do think that if we eat most of Kearns' salary he will have some value as a #4 defensive OF for someone.
- Keep Dukes unless blown away in a trade offer. Flores, Dukes, Dunn, and Zimm should be built around.
- Guzman and Nick should be able to fetch something. If Nick stays healthy up until trade deadline, he will be worth more and might even be worth a one year re-up?
- Maybe Nick and something would get Cain
- SP-wise, maybe we don't need to acquire any with Martis, Zimmnn, Detwiler, Stammen, Lannan, Strasburg, #9a maybe. The pipeline ain't too bad with Balester, Willems, Meyers, Arnesen, Demny, Smoker, McGeary, etc.
- Lots of other thoughts that I don't want to bore you with!

Posted by: goexpos2 | May 26, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

SP-wise, maybe we don't need to acquire any Posted by: goexpos2

No completely disagree. You need a couple of veteran starting pitchers to tutor and teach the youngsters. Sign 1 or 2 veteran free agent starters and then you'll really have something.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swang30 | May 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

At the very least Kearns provides solid defense in the outfield. I am not saying he is a long-term solution, but on this team, this is badly needed.

Posted by: Tom8 | May 26, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

What? Isn't that what St. Clair and the catchers are supposed to do? St. Clair to teach them, the catchers to calm them down? Are you saying we should get rid of St. Clair? Posted by: swang30

Swang you've obviously never played. Coaches coach but players learn from other players, from older players who've been there and done that. That's where they get tips and learn about game situations decisions etc. BTW getting rid of St. Clair? Not opposed to that.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere above, but -

Have you no love for the obsessive refresher?

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | May 26, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

>>It hurts my eyes to see a post entitled "Morning Reading" still at the top of my RSS feed at nearly 5pm Eastern.

Don't worry lineups come up at 5. Hold on for just a few more minutes.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | May 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5
Posted by: diogenes

Someones jonesen.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4 ALT+F4

Posted by: Section506 | May 26, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

If Peavy agreed the Nats probably could get him into their starting rotation. I think it would raise the level of the entire pitching staff to have a legitimate ace and former all-star leading their SP's. Add in the rookie 1st rounder ... and you have a pretty decent starting five.

PNatsFan, you may be right about Marerro and Syracuse. Just think it might help to see what he could do against major league curves and sliders now as opposed to later. Whitney should go back to A ball. They have 3 guys on the Advance A roster who should move up. One Sean Rooney a switch hitting catcher and the centerfielder who is a lefty in addition to Marerro. Derek Norris perhaps could be moved to Syracuse to catch. Noting that Flores is at this moment, once again, on the DL.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Looks like they're expecting rain tonight in Flushing so this one could get delayed or cancelled depending on how heavy the rain is. The washington times is reporting that they have the tarp down already.

Here is some news regarding the Mets:

Mets Acquire Wilson Valdez
According to Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog, the Mets sent cash to the Indians for journeyman minor league shortstop Wilson Valdez. Based on the 31 year-old's hitting for the Columbus Clippers this year, I'd say he's the all-glove stopgap the Mets have been seeking.

Other moves: Ryan Church and Jose Reyes to the DL, top prospect Fernando Martinez promoted. Martinez, just 20, owns a .291/.337/.552 line in 42 Triple A games this year.

Posted by: FloresFan | May 26, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

No comment on the McDougal decision to leave Syracuse? Will the Nats bring him up to the parent club? Its not like they don't need pitching and Tavares and Wells aren't impressive.

Is it everyone bailing from the sinking ship? Ryan Wagner retires? Hinckley and Shell decide to forego a trip to Syracuse?

Chico, inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Lots of teams around the league in need of shortstops. Not 1st basemen. More value?

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"do you really think that the Cubs, who are indeed a legitimate contender, are going to offer something better than Guzman for Peavy? And SD really do need a one-A shortstop."

This has to be a joke. Maybe they'll throw in Adrian Gonzalez too. You are joking, right? Right?

Posted by: Juni | May 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Kearns' 2010 Contract - it's a team option for $10M, or a $1M buyout.

It's is not a player option.

So, at the end of the year, the Nats will mail a $1M check to Kearns and send him off to Free Agency.

Posted by: comish4lif | May 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

According to Rotoworld, MacDougal has an out clause - if he's not on the 25 man roster by Weds, he can opt to be released.

His numbers are mixed - good ERA, a few saves, but lots of walks. That said, bring him up and DFA Cabrera. He won't be worse than Cabrera.

Posted by: comish4lif | May 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

cabrera should never wear the uniform again and kearns is just depressing, the guy everyone tried to like for 3 years has worn out his welcome, especially when manny treats him like he's still a power hitter that drives in runs, in cincy or philly maybe the power is there but in any regularly sized stadium he has warning track power that's it, and he has no chance of hitting fastballs on the inner half, kearns batting anywhere but last in our lineup is inexcusable

Posted by: bford1kb | May 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"Nauga-tuck Nats do you really think that the Cubs, who are indeed a legitimate contender, are going to offer something better than Guzman for Peavy? And SD really do need a one-A shortstop."

Yes, they almost certainly will if they want him. They have many players in their organization with higher market value than Guzman, who is having a nice year but is very one dimensional and (at least) 31 years old. There is literally no chance in hell that the Padres would do anything but laugh at this offer.

Posted by: RickFelt | May 26, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey someone please tell diogenes theres a new post so he can come away from that ledge.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Real Baseball Intelligence (RBI), a leading resource in the evaluation of amateur baseball talent and draft coverage, offers its 2009 Baseball Draft Guide. The Guide includes RBI's Top 400 draft prospects (including Stephen Strasburg), scouting reports of the top ten players at each position, a mock draft and more. It is available at withthefirstpick.net/guide

Posted by: bhyman1 | May 26, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse