My Favorite Pujols Story

First, big thanks to nunof1 and others for pointing me to MASN on my cable system. nunof1's "Brigadoon" description was spot-on: There it was, rising out of the mist, on Channel 74 -- baseball! So many thanks.

So Mr. Pujols is taking a day off. Seems an appropriate time to tell my favorite Pujols story. A fine, fine feature writer who used to work here, whom I will not name (but I'm guessing this bunch will figure it out) did a large takeout on Mr. Pujols years ago, when he (Pujols, not the writer) was just hitting his stride. I was "editing" it -- I use the term loosely because it hardly needed a thing -- but I was stopped in my tracks when I found the writer had inserted a phonetic pronunciation. You guessed it -- this was inserted in the story after the first reference to Pujols:

[POO-holes]

I was picturing that in print in the morning paper and sobbing with laughter by the time I got around to deleting it. I told the writer, through my tears, that I was taking it out, and God bless him, he didn't understand why. Purer of mind than the rest of us, I guess.

(Sorry if you were expecting my favorite Pujols story to be a dreadful clubhouse incident or something; this is the editor's lot in life -- our stories aren't as good as the writers'. Now, I have an "Isiah stole my wallet" story and an "I stepped on Rickey Henderson's foot" story ... but those are for another day.)

By Tracee Hamilton  |  May 2, 2009; 2:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Little Draft Talk
Next: Shairon Martis: Pitching Nonpareil

Comments

OK, whoever had 0 complete games in the pool, you just lost.

Posted by: CEvansJr | May 2, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

What?? no shaving cream pie?

Posted by: CEvansJr | May 2, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Dunn needs a day off.."

Jaybeee, I'm starting to think that Manny's paying you to post here just to make him look good.

Please make sure you post something about the starting lineup tomorrow -- Harris yesterday, Dunn today -- you're on a roll.

Posted by: joebleux | May 2, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

3-2, Caps!

Posted by: CEvansJr | May 2, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes indeedy, a good day in DC sportsland...

Posted by: HotNats | May 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Bless you boys -- both the Nats and the Caps.

Posted by: COL_DFox | May 2, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Tracee, glad you found MASN2 on channel 74. Of course, now you've also found out how bad MASN's standard def picture is. Guys have a full beard, turn their head and become clean-shaven. From their low camera angle behind the plate, when Zimmerman hits one toward the gap you can't see the ball and must rely on Bob Carpenter's call (always a dicey proposition). Really, MASN2 - talk about your poo-holes.

I think I watched the Nats win a great game today. But since my TV was tuned to MASN2 standard definition, I can't really be sure. Please be sure the Post reports correctly tomorrow, okay?

Posted by: nunof1 | May 2, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Loved the Pujols story. Such catches and the ensuing hilarity can be the high point of one's day (week, even) as an editorial professional, IMO.

Also, what a fun win. Wish I could have been there. Hooray for Martis and the rest of our boys!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 2, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Zim kept the streak going as well. Smiles all around!

Posted by: twinbrook | May 2, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Excellent win today, much congrats to Martis, and now that the minnows have lost already, the philthies and moots are beating up on eachother, and Oswalt's pitching vs. Atlanta, let's get one back in the standings!

Posted by: HotNats | May 2, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he got his knock in early.

Also, Dibble should definitely run in Teddy's costume. Make it happen, Stan!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 2, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@joebleaux:
I earlier asked JayBeee to produce his version of today's lineup, minus Dunn, to no response. That's OK, he may have been at the game (he has been a seaon-ticket holder since 2005, after all).

Posted by: BinM | May 2, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

So the Nats (1) WIN, and (2) post a COMPLETE GAMe -- and where's the story? Nothing on the front page that I can see ... nothing even on the Sports page about 3 hours after the game. Disgraceful lack of coverage.

Posted by: cjohnson1 | May 2, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

How about a URL link to go with this comment:

"One more thing: If you didn't see Kirk Kenney's post on Stephen Strasburg today, you should."

Poor, very poor.

Posted by: anyone1 | May 2, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Man, and I thought it was going to be something about his charity, his open stance, his smooth swing, or, I dunno, his general greatness.

Because, as Carpenter said last night, "he's almost too good to be true."

Still, all in all, I prefer a POO-holes story. And that probably says a lot about me, doesn't it?

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 2, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

LOL, JiM! Wish I could have heard more clearly the exchange between Dibble and Carpenter during a Pujols at-bat in the 7th (that was at the point where we had the dueling broadcasts with the Spanish-speaking dudes). I believe Dibble was saying something to the effect that Pujols probably didn't use deodorant but rather dabbed at his armpits with fruit and flowers. And something about his wife crushing on (eewwww) Matthew McConaughey. Didn't specifically mention Carpenter's crushing on him, but...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 3, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

On Pujols, that is, not McConaughey.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 3, 2009 6:45 AM | Report abuse