Nats React To Steroid Claims

By the time the Nats reported to Citi Field this afternoon, most had read or heard about the Lakeland, Fla., man who claims he sold performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes, including players on the Nationals and Capitals. But even the players who had an interest in the story still didn't know the specifics.

"It's just, what else can happen to us?" Adam Dunn said. "It's just kind of piling on. Again, to me that is the last thing I'm worried about, some guy saying whatever he said about us."

Mostly, players met the news with a mix of puzzlement and amusement. One quipped that all 25 players recently had dinner at Thomas's Lakeland home.

"Look at that guy's arms," joked Austin Kearns said, motioning to teammate Josh Willingham. "Ask him about the steroids."

Kearns, turning serious, then said, "I don't really have a reaction. I don't know who it is, I don't know what he's talking about or who he's talking about. I just heard about it five minutes ago. I can't even remember the guy's name."

At least a half-dozen former Washington players have been formally connected to performance-enhancing drugs, and current relief pitcher Ron Villone was named in the Mitchell Report. The Nationals are holding off on concern about Thomas's claims, though, until Major League Baseball's investigative unit gives them a reason to have any. The team does not plan to conduct an internal investigation, instead yielding to the league itself.

"All we're going to say is that our own investigators will be looking into it," MLB spokesman Rich Levin said. Asked if Major League Baseball's investigators knew of Thomas before his arrest, Levin said, "Not that I'm aware of, no."

Said Manager Manny Acta: "I know less than you guys know about this. I'm the wrong guy to talk about all this. All I know is what has been said in the paper, and we support Major League Baseball's testing program. I think it's good. It's working. And if there is any truth to it, then it will come out."

By Chico Harlan  |  May 27, 2009; 6:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: A Review Of A Wild Night

Comments

Looking forward to Zimmermann's start as well as watching Santana work. And looking forward to getting away from the PED nonsense that emerged today.

Posted by: joemktg2 | May 27, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

A small confession: everytime I see the acronym PED, I think PEZ and say to myself "ooooh, that's good!"

Posted by: Section506 | May 27, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Manny reminds me of old Shultz on Hogans Heros. "I know nothing"!

Come on no one in thier right mind believes that this current crop is taking anything other then taking on some gas when they indulge at the Mexican Buffet after all Wednesday Night Games.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 27, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

wow...Dibs really calling the coaching staff out tonight. Me thinks he's had eneough of this crap.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 27, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

to be fair, tippy, that doesn't narrow it down much around here.

speaking of mad--wow, I knew Dibble doesn't think much of Saint, but gracious, he just excoriated him and Manny over their abysmal pitching. And I gotta say, I'm taking Dibble's word for it there.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 27, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

AMEN ROB DIBBLE!!! I Couldn't have said it better myself. These young players are not getting the guidance they need, defense, pitching.. you name it. (with the exception of eckstein and the hitting)

Posted by: curz | May 27, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I will say, Dibble is on FIRE tonight. He seems to actualy pissed to be watching such crappy basic baseball.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | May 27, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

DC natives. Please keep the out of towners listening to Met's commentary up to date with Dibbles wit.

Glad someone in the organisation is getting mad.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Willingham must have enjoyed that loser has been (never was?) calling him out like that in front of the media on a serious, touchy issue.

Posted by: RickFelt | May 27, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@soundbloke There have been references to "college level ball" and "that's something my father taught me in little league." Nothing especially witty...just justifiably angry.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | May 27, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | May 27, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 27, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

"--> Which means it will probably be Dibble whose contract isn't extended next year..."

I thought Dibs had a two-year contract?

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 27, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is great. The Nats, however, suck tonight. One hit, and it shouldn't have even been ruled a hit. We aren't even making contact tonight...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

wow, Dibble asked Manny about pitching to Shef. Good job!

Posted by: twinbrook | May 27, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

so the nats fat little short right fielder couldn't waddle to first to cover on a bunt play? if i was axta, i'd nail him to the bench and put hernandez out there on defense.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

My bad....I wanted to comment on what surly_w posted in previous thread about Belliard's failure to cover first on the bunt play. I thought Belliard broke for second to cover because Pagan took off before Castillo got the bunt down.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Bob Carpenter, you stink! "Ronnie Belliard!! How far is that one going!?!" Only to the edge of the warning track, Bob.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

and the front edge, at that. but that's Carpenter--that's his warning-track call, and we all know it.

and dibble, keep talking about how good santana's control is--i think it's starting to have an effect.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 27, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Haha...The Mets pitching coached ticked off the ump and now Johan's not getting the inside strike called and, as a result, he just walked Zimmermann!

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Santana just walked in a run...wow! Four walks in one inning...another wow!

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

wow! that's working good!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

You know, I'm actually willing to defend the idea of pitching to Sheffield in the first, but I can't defend the pitch. A terrible high curve? Anybody would have hit that one. If anything, I think Z-mann was too cautious there, not the other way around.

Now, we're tied. Let's see what the kid can do with the second chance. Go get 'em, Jordan.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm just waiting for Cabrera to jump out of a Santana suit.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 27, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

how statistically unlikely is it that santana walks in a run from guzman after walking z-nn? this is only guzman's 3rd walk of the year! he picked a good time.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 27, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 8:19 PM

What a joke!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 27, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

hey chico, can you post some pictures of puppies and kittens? some of these folks here need to kick somebody, and the easy targets are wearing out.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 27, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

shepdave,

Good call. Evidently Dibble was offered two, but he insisted on three years--and got it. (At least that's the way I read a Washington Times article I found online.) I was just assuming that the Lerners weren't giving more than a year at a time.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Adrian Johnson must have it out for the Nats.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Sec3mysofa

I would stamp on a whole bag of kittens and throw it into the Potomac if I thought it would turn a few of these bums into ballplayers.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, talking about kicking puppies and kittens, Dibble's now complaining about too many players bringing their families on the road!

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

This is from Newsday. No one can argue with the sentiment, but I do not see any reason to call out specific players.

"Nick Johnson, or (Josh) Willingham, or (Austin) Kearns, anyone on our roster, if we can make a good baseball trade and improve ourselves, not only for our present but also for our future -- a player that can impact us -- we have to make those kinds of trades," Rizzo told Midweek Insider Tuesday, before his team lost yet another game to the Mets, dropping their record to worst-in-baseball 13-32.

Posted by: Willy2 | May 27, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Nieves! ...and then high cheese to get Wright! nice inning!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Holbrook's zone suddenly got real tight in the fifth. Damn, I hate it when any pitcher (WSH or opposition) has to adjust to two zones in a single game.

Posted by: BinM | May 27, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Willy2, I don't think Rizzo was calling anybody out, he was probably responding to names mentioned in the question. Those are the three most likely to be traded players on our roster.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Unless anyone comes calling for Belliard.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Unless anyone comes calling for Belliard.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 8:54 PM

-----------

Do we have to wait until they call? Can't we just leave him on somebody's front steps?

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, what the !@$# just happened?

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Unless anyone comes calling for Belliard.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 8:54 PM

-----------

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

----------

Sure but who'd be strong enough to lift the basket?

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again...

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Another replay - the Nationals are screwed.

Posted by: BinM | May 27, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

If the only replay they have is the one we're seeing, how can they reverse that call? That's not conclusive.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

baltova1

Davidoff says that he asked about Johnson, and that Rizzo volunteered the other two. Here is the link to the story. I don't think that it is a huge thing, since they must know that they are in the mix to be traded if a deal presents itself (they might even welcome it), but it just seems unnecessary to me.

Posted by: Willy2 | May 27, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

weren't these replays supposed to be quick?

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

NO HR, Dibble is way off!!

Posted by: curz | May 27, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Manny looks furious!

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Bull S---. Stupid umps.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

WOW...screwjob!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Unless they have a different angle than what we're seeing, that's BS. How can you reverse that on what we saw?

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

God hates the Nats.

Man, can we ever get a break?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A JOKE! That IS AS INCONCLUSIVE AS MONDAYS CALL! GOD! WHAT A JOKE

Posted by: amorris525 | May 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Does Znn get warmup pitches?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 27, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

This is pure bullcrap - Thank you again, Bud Selig.

Posted by: BinM | May 27, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Can the Nats file any kind of grievance with MLB? These umpires are really bad.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Good night Gracie.

Posted by: BinM | May 27, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Way to help out your pitcher Willingham!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 27, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing the Nationals can do to get a call, apparently. There was nothing in the video replay to indicate conclusively that the on-field call should have been reversed.

Of course, nobody from the Nats' dugout is doing anything about it at all.

Now THAT'S what I call deflating, Manny.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 27, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Their stupid quirks in the ballpark are to blame. Why do they build parks with such stupid features as seats up against the railing, weird angles and heights, and overhangs over the playing field? Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Way to get off your butt and come out and argue and stick up for your right fielder Manny. Oh wait you didn't. He had to do it by himself. Acta is such a waste.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Dear Manny Acta your WHAT ME WORRY is why the UMPS DON"T WORRY. Who would they like to please more the rabble of NY or the guy who gives them no grief even when they are wrong.

Posted by: CBinDC | May 27, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Tough for ZimmN to get an earned run when Willingham was thrashing around in the corner like that.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

You just have to laugh

Posted by: Willy2 | May 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

ACTA IS THE WORST!! Where the Hell is he?? After what has gone on in this series with these calls - Dunn has to argue that HR call? Stan, fire this jackass TONIGHT!!

Posted by: dfh123 | May 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Rob Dibble is my new hero so he'll probably not be around very long. Hammered Acta and St. Clair when they gave up the home run to Sheffield and then even had the stones to hit Acta with the question during the game. Man Acta looked like he was about to spit fire. Dibble also hammered the team for having family on the trip. He is really getting fed up. Glad to see it. Last year Sutton couldn't care less. Dibble at least cares.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 27, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Ahh the Gutless Wonder strikes again.

Posted by: RickFelt | May 27, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Dibble is great. He calls it like it is. I really like him, he's very interesting/amusing.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 27, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

The Nats get screwed again.

On the bright side, how much better is Nats Park than CitiField? Who wants to wait five to ten minutes every other game for the umps to check the replay? DC really did a far superior job on our ballpark than NY did on either of theirs.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Bad pitching...Ok
quiet bats...I can deal.
poor defense...I'll live.

Getting screwed on replay...again? Unreal...utterly unreal. I can live with a young team playing poorly...this is unacceptable.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

"Rob Dibble is my new hero so he'll probably not be around very long."

Once again, Dibble has a multi-year contract. We must hold on to these little pleasures, since our actual team is not all that good.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 27, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Makes you wonder what "definitive" evidence those umps saw...

Posted by: grandstander | May 27, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

FmART standing at homeplate on that popup. OH MY!!!!

Glad to see other teams make dumb plays!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 27, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Willingham is not young.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 27, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"I'm in New York and watching the Mets feed and they had their sideline reporter go into that upper desk and ask the fans there whether that ball went out and they ALL said it didn't hit. METS fans said it didn't go out."

I'll second that...unbelievable.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PowerBoater69

I SECOND that and move that the only thing wrong with Nats Park is the ......well team

HEY MANNY do you just wait for a CAB or do they come to you, since to hail one would be to aggressive

Posted by: CBinDC | May 27, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Job must have been a Nationals fan.

I don't know what Manny Acta could have done about the disputed home run, and I'm not asking him to pull Earl Weaver tantrums, but I'm ticked off I saw no fight from him on that one. He won't admit it, but he looks defeated.

I think Acta is a good manager, but not the right fit for this team. I'd put him out of his misery, let Jim Riggleman manage the rest of 2009, then clear out the front office in the off-season and start over, bringing in proven people as GM and manager. (Assuming you sign Stephen Strasburg, you have a great bargaining chip to bring in name talent.) The culture of this organization needs to be changed, the sooner the better.

Posted by: VPaterno | May 27, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I am shocked that I actually like Dibble. Not sure I love the guy, but I love the fact that he wants to win some ball games -- more so than a lot of people in the organization let on.

Posted by: dfh123 | May 27, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been in the 'Fire Manny' camp, and probably still am not, but I agree 100% with these comments about him getting out there and arguing some calls. It isn't about changing the call or even setting up the next close one (although I think that it would help), it is about backing up your players and not leaving them hanging out there. Manny reminds me of Norv Turner - intelligent, excellent assistant, but uncomfortable being the head guy, taking charge and with confrontations.

And I agree, it is unbelievable if those NY fans said that it didn't go out.

Posted by: Willy2 | May 27, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I've been Manny agnostic all along, but if all they had to make that call was the replay we saw, he's got to go out there and pitch a fit. If nothing else but to bust on the umps for not hustling and to show your team you'll stand up for their rights.

Chico, if you're out there, is it true the NY broadcasters asked fans if it went out and they said no? Also, can the Nats protest the game?

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that Norv Turner analogy is a good one, Willy2. I like it.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 27, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

If Manny had shown any displeasure, in any form, with any of the last two days of bad calls, maybe when the Star Chamber of Umps went to the secret room they may have taken a better look at the outcome. As it was they say HEY who's going to cause us grief
OHHH the folks in the seats cause the other team sure do not seem to care much do they, sure it's a HR
WHY NOT make it two just to be nice.

Posted by: CBinDC | May 27, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Great, a totally blown call and now what looks like it will be another loss. Yipee. Not sure that I care anymore. With Monday's call, even the MLB Tonight anchor crew said it was the wrong call. And now we get screwed AGAIN tonight.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Dibble just said reporters asked the Mets fans and they said it didn't hit the Subway sign. Doesn't help that it's yellow and blends in with the baseball.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 27, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

14 Ks? What, did they not take their 'roids tonight?

Posted by: twinbrook | May 27, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

never posted before but i gotta say that after watching this series, i can't support manny acta any more. at the very least that clearly was an inconclusive replay and he just sat there with that look on his face.

Posted by: nami322 | May 27, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Ok, that same sideline reporter went to the lower deck underneath the subway sign and they all said it did hit.

However, being a good reporter, he noted that still no one heard a sound, which was odd, because if the ball hit the metal of the sign, it would have made some noise, even with a noisy crowd.

This is the Mets broadcast, I remind you. And earlier, NO ONE in the upper deck said it hit. Mad shady.

Posted by: grandstander | May 27, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm not Chico, but I am also watching the Mets feed and their sideline reporter did indeed say that the fans he talked to above the sign all said the ball was well short. However, as I'm typing, the fans below the sign are being interviewed and they all say that it definitely hit it. Whatever, I can't see how any review could have been "definitive."

Posted by: ac42 | May 27, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

------

also said the fans didnt hear a sound from a baseball supposedly hitting a metal sign

Posted by: nami322 | May 27, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Manny reminds me of Norv Turner

That's a ringing endorsement if I've ever heard one. Although Norv is an offensive genius. Acta is more of a gutless manager who makes awful in-game moves and doesn't prepare his players well than an offensive genius. I'm fine with your general assessment though.

Posted by: RickFelt | May 27, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Look, that ump needs to be called out.

The Nats got jobbed the other night because the same ump made a bad call. As a result of the initial home run call, the staff needed irrefutable evidence to make the right call. And he made the initial home run call because he failed to get his butt down the line.

Now tonight, the same ump, now rotated to the first base side, again fails to get his butt down the line and make ANY call on that ball. And this is what jobs the Nats, because now they don't need irrefutable evidence. There's no call to overturn!

I don't know what replay they were looking at - I watched both the Nats and Mets feeds, and both announcing staffs thought there was no chance a HR call was coming - but it shouldn't matter. That ump jobbed the Nats twice in the same series.

I get Manny's stance on arguing. It doesn't work. And he's right. But I would've gotten thrown out tonight. And fined.

But I guess it all works out for Subway, huh?

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 27, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

now a balk...are you kidding me? What more could they possibly pile on?

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Baltova1,

I am watching the game on the SNY. Yes, the SNY Mets reporter went out to right field and asked 10 people above the Subway sign if the ball hit there and they said No. Then he asked some folks below the sign if it went out and they all said Yes.

Posted by: gbussey | May 27, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Great. Now Colome is in and he got a bad balk call. This night is going downhill fast...

Posted by: BGinVA | May 27, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

MANNY ARGUE SOMETHING FOR ONCE !!!!!
A BALK .........WHAT BALK !!!!!

Posted by: CBinDC | May 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

And it continues

Posted by: RickFelt | May 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Go Nats! There...I got to say it AFTER the start of one of our games.....hey, NJ sleuths-any info on who brought their families along? I bet Austin "I Stink" Kearns is one of 'em....I know, I don't like making ad hominem attacks or reading them-but "I Stink" IS making 9 mil to ease the pain. I don't question his or any of our players desire, wanting to win, etc....but if EVER I saw a more dispirited bunch of guys......sad, sad ,sad. WHERE ARE THE LERNERS? where is Manny on that balk call?....Go Nats...

Posted by: zendo | May 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Balk??? I think not!

Posted by: twinbrook | May 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Okay, that's it. Manny's not questioning the balk call just did it for me. Sitting there just chewing away, no fire, probably just sitting there thinking "huh... they just called a balk... wow"

GREAT comparison to N. Turner, Willy2!

Posted by: HotNats | May 27, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Question...did Sheff ever touch the plate after the "hr"?

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Manny must have some seriously good chewing gum. His team got hosed for the second time in a single game, and he stares dumbly from the dugout.

There was nothing about Column-B's movement that should prompt a balk call.

Washington Nationals = doormat of baseball.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 27, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Question...did Sheff ever touch the plate after the "hr"?

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | May 27, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

pretty sure he did because they originally called it a hr

Posted by: nami322 | May 27, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

man i love 5 dollar footlongs

Posted by: MannyActa | May 27, 2009 9:30 PM

Posted by: formerlylove1 | May 27, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what would have happened if Dunn had positioned himself under the sign and caught the ball when it came down.

Posted by: twinbrook | May 27, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

It just goes to show that we fans aren't that smart when it comes to baseball.

Since I was a lad (first game watched was '63 Senators / Yankees), I've hated managers who run out of the dugout and scream and yell and embarass both themselves and the fans of the team.

So I was elated when the mild-mannered Manny Acta was made manager. No yelling and screaming.

So what happens when the umps call a phantom balk on Senor Colome?

Nothing.

And that's the point. The umpires know that no matter what they do, Manny isn't going to say a word, repeating his "I can yell and scream and it won't do any good" mantra over and over.

But it does do some good.

Umpires don't like being shown up, and when the umpires are spotlighted like that, they are more careful with their calls.

We fans wonder why the Nationals aren't getting any breaks. The reason is simple: they know there are no repurcussions if they screw up. So if there is a questionable call, they err on the side of the other team, knowing that Manny will just sit in the dugout and do nothing.

I've supported Manny to this point, but my goodness, the Nationals need someone to protect their players.

Posted by: rushfari | May 27, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Chico, you and the press corps need to be all over Acta. Why no argument on the HR? Not Monday on the Sheff call, not for Bard last night? Why no argument on the balk? Does he think that it is not important to back up his players? Does he think that his team is still behind him after all of this losing? etc

Posted by: dfh123 | May 27, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

Re the steroids, there is no there there. That was an idiotic post. Come back when you have something.

We still love you, though.

Posted by: paulkp | May 28, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: suesue8709 | May 28, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Definitely would love to see a bit more fire from Manny. He needs to go Weaver once in a while, especially after the calls made last night.

Once again, Chico manages to underwhelm. Maybe he will get his longtime dream of rating bouillabaisse. Someone with a passion for the game to cover the Nats would be nice.

Posted by: teamohall | May 28, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse