Olsen to Disabled List

LHP Scott Olsen has shoulder tendonitis. He received a shot in the arm and will rest for five days before throwing again. On Monday, the Nationals will place Olsen on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Saturday. At that point, they will promote Ross Detwiler from Class AA Harrisburg to start against the Pittsburgh Piratres.

The Nationals have now lost three games in 24 hours between Friday's extra-inning game and by the time Saturday's rain-shortened game was officially called.

"Long day," Manager Manny Acta said, without a hint of inflection of in his voice.

For those wondering, Acta had no problem with the game being called after a 90-minute delay.

"We weren't going to fight it because you don't know when it's going to stop raining, and after that, the field is going to be in horrendous shape," Acta said. "Plus, they still have the bases loaded with no out. Plus, that's the rule of the game anyways. If you don't want to complain, you need to be ahead when this happens."

He was encouraged by Daniel Cabrera's first four innings. Even an eternal optimist, though, would not be pleased with Cabrera's fifth inning. Cabrera, to his credit, was contrite after the game.

"You don't even know how bad this feels," Cabrera said. "I feel the worse I ever feel in my life."

The Nationals return tomorrow for a 1:35 game. Jordan Zimermann will pitch against Chan Ho Park.

By Zach Berman  |  May 16, 2009; 11:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Detwiler To Start Monday's Game
Next: Today's Lineups

Comments

Take your time, Bobo. Like you could go on the 150-day DL and that would be fine by me.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 17, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The good news is we should be able to beat Chan Ho Park. That's the only potential light at the end of the tunnel I can see right now. Actually, that's not true. I like the three young starters (Lannan, Martis, and Zimmerman) even if they're sure to go through more growing pains. Cabrera and Olsen have been disappointing and the bullpen remains a mess though. I have my fingers crossed that Detwiler will do a nice job for us.

Posted by: grforbes | May 17, 2009 2:04 AM | Report abuse

too early for detwiler, he isnt ready yet. we are making too many decisions based on roster and option issues. up to a point its ok but its really making an impact on the on field product. like its ok for the rays to keep david price in the minors to stop the clock, but they won the AL last year. lets get the best 25 players we have and let them play...come on. so what if the lerners blow 5 mil on dcab he sucks and its time to let go if we are going to lose at least let stamen or ballystar do it i mean dcab is done his career is done he is rick ankiel without the heart warming story he has nothing left. rizzo is better than this i dont know whats going on. if this keeps up, ray knight for manager, rob dibble for pitching coach, and what the hell johnny holiday for GM

Posted by: formerlylove1 | May 17, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Raise your hands if you truly thought that by having Olsen and Cabrera pitch your doubleheader you had a chance to win either game. What? Yeah, I thought so.

The Nats brain trust has to get Cabrera and Olsen off of team, not just DL. Bad pitchers lose ballgames for you. Really bad pitchers lose games and demoralize your team. Really, really bad pitchers lose games, demoralize the team and drive away fans. We have half a dozen minor league pitchers that can do no worse than Cabrera/Olsen. Allowing five runs by the fifth inning should never be an acceptable norm for a starting pitcher.

Posted by: driley | May 17, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Manny Acta is totally clueless.

Posted by: bupbups | May 17, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

I live 3 hours away, and the doubleheader sounded appealing - double the baseball for the trip. But to watch Olsen and Cabrera, nah.

Hope Olsen heals soon, but his trend has been downward for a couple of years. Cabrera, no reason for hope that I can see.

After years as GM, look what Mr. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching got us. Can't blame Rizzo - trolling the castoffs and bargain bins is all he can do at this point in the season. Pretty sad when out best relievers were out of the majors at the start of the season.

Geezer

Posted by: utec | May 17, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | May 17, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Detwiler has a pretty good line in AA so far this year, a 2.96 ERA in 6 starts. He's allowed more than 2 earned runs only once (5), and in his other 5 outings he has allowed 0, 2, 1, 0 and 1. Also, his K/BB ratio is 28/10, meaning he's averaging a strikeout every inning while limiting walks to one every three innings. Sure, he probably needs more seasoning in the minors, but he certainly deserves this spot start. Let's hope for the best!

Posted by: BobLHead | May 17, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, Olsen's never bothered me. He comes out and I still think there's a chance he'll win it for us. I hope he gets better and comes back.

And now I feel bad for Cabrera after reading his quote. I don't want him pitching for us anymore, but I feel really bad for him.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 17, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Besides Stammen, I don't think there's anyone close to major-league ready. Am I right that they have no choice but to stick with Cabrera for now? Detwiler will be up for just a spot start.

Posted by: GoNats22 | May 17, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Cabrera will make $2.6 million this year. That's why I don't feel bad for him.

Posted by: BollingField | May 17, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on both counts, NatsNut. Knowing that Olsen was working injured just reinforces that for me. And he's just a kid. Some on here have been bashing him since the trade, before he even threw a pitch for the Nats.

I also feel bad for Cabrera. No matter how much money they make, they're still human, right? Right? Hello out there? ...crickets...

I'm not saying that I'm confident with either of them taking the mound, but that doesn't translate into bashing them personally for me.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 17, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

In other news, it's clearing here in Fairfax County. Hope that we can head out later and see some baseball played today.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 17, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Let's all get out there today and support Jordan Zimmermann and the Nationals!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 17, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you, GGG!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 17, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

>"Manny Acta is totally clueless?" And what exactly would an established big time manager like Tony LaRussa (or the NJ favorite, Davey Johnson) do differently? Oh, I know, he'd sign Pedro and make him the closer. I forgot. Jeesh.

11-24. Drink it in. Feel it. Be it.

All he's got to say at the press conference is that St. Claire is working with Cabrera, and hopefully he'll go '5 of 6 next time'. With all the urgency of a fall instructional league game. What a tool.

Posted by: Brue | May 17, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Olsen to the DL, Detwiler up? Wow, missed the call on that one. In hindsight, he is pitching very well for an offensively challenged team in Harrisburg, so why not?

Posted by: BinM | May 17, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The Nats are not going to be able to do anything tradewise for pitching during the season without giving away some promising youngsters, which they shouldn't do. It's not like they are going to make the playoffs if they pick up a #3 starter. They need to try to stretch out Wells and Bergmann so they can start, in order to give them some options. And while I can imagine the reaction to this next statement, if Odalis Perez still hasn't signed, I would see if he would go back to the earlier deal offered. I am not saying that I wouldn't give Stammen or ballestar a try at some point, but those guys can't be expected to do appreciably better than the current starters and they need to get some other options.

Posted by: Willy2 | May 17, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Also, I don't get the Bobo nickname at all.

??

Posted by: NatsNut | May 17, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

1a and NN,

I'm with you. DCab is stinking it up right now but, no need to attack him personally.

After reading the gamer this morning, I gained some respect for Olsen. He gutted it out for his team. In this day and age of "look at me athletes" that showed me something. The kid takes a lot of heat on this blog for his past mistakes hopefully, he gets some credit here for thinking of his team first and not himself.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 17, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I Actually watched Manny Acta's press conference after the game. And I almost threw up in my mouth when he actually said he and St. Clair were encouraged by D-Cabs 7-run 5 inning outing. He acutally said D-Cab is getting better. That's all you need to know about Acta and the Nats.
Man O Man!!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

BTW How bout that Freakin Preakness. Now that was great. Any watchers? And it brings up 2 big what ifs:
1. What if Rachel hadn't run in the Preakness....we might be looking at a 50-1 shot Derby winner going for the triple crown.
2. What if Rachel had run the Derby....We might be looking at a Philly goin for the triple crown. Good stuff.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 17, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

uh, I think you meant "filly." The Flyin' Hawaiian is fast, but I don't think that he qualifies for the Preakness.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 17, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I understand organizations love to promote the guys they drafted as opposed to the guys they acquired from other teams sometimes. I also like Detwiler, and hope he does well. I am happy for him.

That said JD Martin, Craig Stammen, and Tyler Clippard all deserve their shot in the majors now. I understand the whole 40 man roster thing, is why Detwiler gets his chance, but who are we really protecting on this 40 man roster? Just give us the best players and be done protecting all these players who might perform someday... while keeping down the players that are performing now...

I got to see JD Martin pitch in Buffalo last year (he was part of the indians organization) and the place was buzzing when he came in. Everyone was talking about what a great prospect he was and how he would be in Cleveland soon... I was stunned when I learned the Nats had acquired him and pleased to know that he was doing well this season, but I'm seriously wondering why he as well as Stammen and Clippard are still in Syracuse with all of our pitching problems.

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 17, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Ya know, gang...this is so depressing. Talking with my pal and baseball buddy Greggo the Cop-we are DEFINITELY the worst team in baseball ...again. Remember, picking number one is for ALL rounds of the draft. Assuming we occupy the same position for 2010 as we do now, any comments from the NJ bunch as to how many real prospects we need to acquire to at least have some hope for the distant future? We figure 10 at a minimum....hope Rizzo is up to the task. Meanwhle, put Max in center,Dukes in right, plan on intensive off-season 1st base work with Dunn (Ilove NJ, but do you think we're really gonna keep him for next year?), keep the Hammer as no. 4 and just outright DUMP "I Stink"....aka Austin Kearns. Eat the salary. I"m tired of hearing about what a stand-up guy he is, how he is defensively a great player, a positive guy in the clubhouse......no personal animosity here and I wish it coulda worked out better but....maybe we could trade him and Dimitri to Fort Worth for that pitcher guy, um, Aaron Crow. I realize alot of this is just venting, but after averaging 20+ games in our first 4 years, I've yet to go once this year. I really like Dukes, but I ain't sure he's the answer in center, so lets let JMax take a shot. And oh yea, WHERE is our Don Baylor? Someone who not only gives a dang-which I believe or guys do-but who translates that into a clubhouse culture of accountability and passion. One last note on this Sunday morning babble-Manny, I've beenon yer side , still am...sorta...but LET YER STARTERS PITCH....put away your book and use the seat of your pants-just a bit(See Cito Gaston)! And Randy-I've watched you turn dreck into useful dreck for years but....guys, do you REALLY think it's his fault? And thru this dreadful start, WHERE HAVE THE LERNERS BEEN? A public appology would be nice.Unless Mr Ted aims to recreate the horrendous teams of his youth-if so, congrats-a job well done! I'm still clinging to my fantasy of the Lerners and the Snyders swapping ownerships, but given that it ain't likely, off-season we better buy some major league talent...Jeez, off-season already? GO (please God!) NOTS!!! er, a, Nats

Posted by: zendo | May 17, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

hey techies -- the sign-in isn't working in FF--the submit button isn't showing up, even with cookies checked. (Works in IE, which is how I'm here.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 17, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Manny won't be fired because the Lerners don't want to pay two general managers and two managers simultaneously.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 18, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

And here's today's quiz:

What ballgame is being described by the following quote from this morning's well-known major metropolitan newspaper:

"The carnage included a season-high five errors — including two in the 11th, which led to the [team name]’ winning run — one decisive base-running blunder by [someone you know] and countless slack jaws, head shakes and dumbfounded looks in a solemn clubhouse.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” said ____________________.

Sound like a description of the Nationals?

Wrong!

It's how the Dodgers beat the Mets, according to the New York Times. The baserunning blunderer was our own Ryan Church, and Carlos Beltran delivered the New York version of the now-familiar "I've never seen anything like that."

This division can still be had. How very different our season would be, as Boz has written, with a slightly below average bullpen rather than the worst one in human history.

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 19, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse