Stammen Starts Strong

[UPDATE, 9:00 p.m.] -- Hernandez left tonight's game with a sprained pinky finger on his right hand.

---

Two notes from the early portion of this game. Washington starter Craig Stammen, in his big league debut, has been dazzling. He retired his first 12 hitters, taking a perfect game into the fifth. Adam LaRoche began the fifth, though, with a double down the first base line. He scored after two Pittsburgh groundouts.

Stammen has been so good, you might call him Daniel Cabrera's statistical inverse. He's throwing strikes (39 of 54, through five innings) and hasn't walked anybody. Seven of his last nine outs have come on ground balls.

Meantime, just before this inning, Anderson Hernandez exited the game in place of Ronnie Belliard. Hernandez was pulled after making the final out (a ground-out) in the bottom of the fourth. I'm not certain if Hernandez injured himself, but once I get word, I'll update.

Nats lead right now, 3-1.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 21, 2009; 8:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No Yelling And Screaming, But --
Next: A Strong Start, A Strong Fastball

Comments

hey, i know that guy! the fan on that zim catch is the wrestling coach at my high school!! haha

Posted by: artvandelay2 | May 21, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

MLB gamecast is claiming injured hand/wrist. Not sure how it happened.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

That was fast.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | May 21, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, now it's exciting.

Posted by: Section220 | May 21, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Grrr. Argh.

Posted by: Section220 | May 21, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

We spoke too soon ... Tavarez ... oh no here we go.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Apologies to all, that was my fault. I left after the sixth to add Stammen to my fantasy league team. Somebody shoot me with a sausage.

Posted by: BobLHead | May 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Taverez in - once again, Good Night, Gracie. I'm out.

Posted by: BinM | May 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping our batters are getting fired up to prevent the sweep and get the young guy off the hook. Please hit

Posted by: Kev29 | May 21, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

BobL - you almost made me totally snarf my carefully made Old Fashioned. That was funny.

Posted by: Section220 | May 21, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

So, Anderson Hernandez hurt his hand pounding his helmet after making an out, if old man Lerner had sprung for vented helmets this would not have happened.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 21, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Holy S! Tavarez is actually throwing strikes!!

Posted by: FloresFan | May 21, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Please no Hanrahan. Please no Hanrahan.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 21, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

More runs! More runs! Our it on! An arsonist will be summoned from Gasoline Alley in the ninth to (hopefully) hold the Buccos.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 21, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks you! Don't stop hitting!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 21, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan, Hanrahan, Hanrahan, Hanrahan, Hanrahan ... mebbe Bergmann?

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

good at bat by Harris ... lots of fouls.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan's coming in with just a one-run lead? Oh dear...

Posted by: rxs85 | May 21, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Here we go ... who will come out of the bullpen ...

Wild thing, you make my heart sing ... wild thing ... wild thing we think we love you but we have to know for sure ... wild thing ... Hanrahan

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hanra-Gas-Can with a one-run lead. There's not enough Maalox and bourbon for this finish.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

they have an organ, live at the ballpark

that is a practical, improving step

thank you.

someone else on this "journal" pointed
out the need for this earlier this year.

watching broadcasts of games at other parks
I heard it every time, and thought,
"we need that!"

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | May 21, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I can bear to watch.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 21, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Wild thing ... mebbe you need glasses? Or to sleep with the Acta's basemen's wife ... or somethi ....

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

schultz,

we're gonna win it.

hold the maalox, get the victory bourbon ready.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | May 21, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

one down...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 21, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

A Hanrahan save? I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!!!!

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 21, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

periculum you too

get on board and come on in for the big victory (full metal jacket)

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | May 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

why does he throw sliders when it's practically ineffective?

Posted by: rxs85 | May 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm mebbe they should screen "Major Leagues" part I for these players ... they have been looking far more pathetic than those Cleveland Indians ...

Here it comes ... gas can rah han

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

two down...got the bourbon on ice...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 21, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I only count 2 so far.
why does he throw sliders when it's practically ineffective?

Posted by: rxs85 | May 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 21, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

has the threat of mob hanging has made the ump honest?

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | May 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

had 'em all the way. Bottoms up, ladies and gents. Careful driving home.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Bang Zoom go the fireworks

Posted by: FloresFan | May 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I STILL DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!!!!!

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | May 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we finally won!

Hey Hanrahan, why can't you pitch like that every game?!?

Posted by: rxs85 | May 21, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

they did it!!

now pass the maalox and bourbon, my stomach ulcer's acting up, and my head wants headache relief and celebratory memory killing.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | May 21, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Time for the MASN Cup games! Bring on the Os!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 21, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Hanrahan gets outs by throwing...fastballs. With Bard catching. I'll take it. The only bad thing about this night was that Stammen didn't get the win.

Who was that with the bourbon?

Posted by: baltova1 | May 21, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

4 runs, 5 hits, 2 walks, 5 strike outs 2 by "wild thing". Better.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

This is great! Kid pitches a great game, has a rough inning, and the team picks him up.....just a great great win!

Posted by: kingtutts | May 21, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Time for the MASN Cup games! Bring on the Os!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 21, 2009

Doug Tracht, don't you think the greaseman schtick is way out-of-date?

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Great win. Only 2 walks against 5 strikeouts. St. Clair will take that.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Hello! Craig Stammen is *adorable*!

Or maybe I'm seeing things through Curly-W-tinted glasses! :)

Posted by: JennX_ | May 21, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

yeah, i know he only threw a couple, but after getting the hitter to 0-2, he throws a slider and there's a base hit, but thankfully he recovered!

Posted by: rxs85 | May 21, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Lannen, Martis, Zimmermann, Detwiller, Stammen

I could get used to that!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 21, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

How does good pitching change things? Nats get five runs tonight and win. The last 10 times they scored five runs, they went 1-9.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 21, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Finally a game with only a couple of free passes by the Nats pitchers!!!!

Hanrahan looked good too using the fastball. When he can get that fastball popping, he can use the slider when needed.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 21, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Stammen looks okay ... but Detwiler I think is still a tad shaky. Seems like they have Martin down in SYR doing well ... seems like everyone but Bally does well down there. I don't think he took his demotion well.

McCatty seems like he may be a pretty decent pitching coach? Mebbe he can help Detwiler.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I missed Stammen entirely and got back home to watch Taverez, watch the Nats take the lead and then got to watch the Hanrahan tight wire act...

His fast ball topped out at 97 mph. Nobody on the Pirates were able to catch up with it. If you have that type of fast ball, you keep bringing it until they beat you. Manny needs to just tell him to throw the heat until further notice.

Also, I see Cabrera and Olsen the pitching/2009 equivalents of LoDuca and Estrada of 2008. I have a feeling that D-Cab gets released eventually (PLEASE) and Olsen remains of the DL indefinately and does not get an offer beyond this year.

Posted by: TimDz | May 21, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

just remember, later in the season, some of these young pitchers need to be spelled/taken out - mainly J-znn. abnd martis somewhere around august.

i heckled larussa last year, "why don't you ruin another pitchers career" and made him start twitching. piniella the same thing.

i hate the losing too. but baseball is a slow sport, within each game, thru a season, and over several seasons.

acta, to me, tonite afterwards, was a bad ass.

that is the least of the issues. they're holding together, partly thru dunn, zim, and just an overall good baseball outlook.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | May 21, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

!!NIW STAN !!NIW STAN

Bat man is a little cutie.

Also, Hernandez probably hurt his finger when he went upside his own head. I hate when that happens.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 21, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Tee hee, Jenn-X.

---

Hello! Craig Stammen is *adorable*!

Or maybe I'm seeing things through Curly-W-tinted glasses! :)

Posted by: JennX_ | May 21, 2009 9:36 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 21, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:48 PM

Periculum, did you watch Monday's game. Ross pitched 5 great innings. With the lack of defense (3 errors) while he was pitching and he held strong. He walked none and struck out six. If that is shaky, I will take that type of shaky

Posted by: sazzwho | May 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 9:48 PM

Posted by: sazzwho | May 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Finally, I can get a good nights sleep. Now, if only we can turn this into a 2 game streak, then a 3 ga...nevermind. Wouldn't want to jinx em! GO NATS...STAY HOT

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 21, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Good morning! See you at the new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 22, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse