Strasburg to Start Tonight for SDSU

Right-hander Stephen Strasburg, expected to be chosen by the Nationals with the No. 1 pick in next month's first-year player draft, will start for San Diego State tonight in its NCAA regional opener against Virginia in Irvine, Calif.

Strasburg is 13-0 this season with a 1.24 ERA and a national-best 180 strikeouts. There was some question about whether Coach Tony Gwynn would start Strasburg in the opener or wait until Saturday's second game against either UC Irvine, the region's top seed and the nation's top-ranked team entering the tournament, or defending NCAA champion Fresno State.

Tonight's game will be televised live by Comcast SportsNet at 7 p.m.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  May 29, 2009; 1:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading
Next: Flores Won't Be Back For Tonight's Game

Comments

i'm definitely watching.

Posted by: longterm | May 29, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

UVA, congrats on winning the ACC. As a reward....

Posted by: mherd1 | May 29, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

No doubt, mherd. Many thought UVa should be a #1 seed, but instead their regional has them face (1) Strasburg, (2) UC Irvine, the #1 ranked team in the country, and (3) Fresno State, defending NCAA champs. Outrageous. But man, this is gonna be fun to watch!

Posted by: jcville | May 29, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

lots to watch tonight! The Nats, Strasburg, and someone's debut a few miles north.... get your tivo ready!

Posted by: 1of9000 | May 29, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Shakeup over at Redskins Insider could lead to a Svrluga promotion. Jason La Canfora is going over to the NFL Network, leaving a pretty big vacancy on that beat.

Barry seems like the natural successor, but that will still leave a vacancy to be filled (his own).

You ready for a promotion, Chico? It's really just reporting on a different embarrassingly awful front office. Only the hours are shorter and the office is bigger.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Chico does not really like sports. He's holding out for the entertainment blog.

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd be very interested to see the ratings difference between the Nats on MASN and Strasburg on CSN tonight.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 29, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I hate my job, but I'd take a promotion nonetheless.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 29, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hokie here . . .

Good luck to the Hoos as they face Strasburg.

I would like to see them hit this guy hard.

Posted by: jbartelloni | May 29, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice how few votes several deserving Nats have for the all star game? Even if it's mostly a popularity contest, it still means something to the player, especially those who haven't been there before, ESPECIALLY when they deserve it.
Do your part, Nats fans! Go vote 5, 10, 25 times - guys in every other baseball town are doing the same thing, so do your part to make sure guys who are deserving (Dunn, Zimmerman, Johnson, maybe Guzman) get there.
Go to http://mlb.com and click on "Vote" in the middle of the top bar.

Posted by: ajtrue78 | May 29, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29: I suppose the silver lining might be that next year, MASN's ratings might be higher on days Strasburg pitches once/if he makes it to the majors? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | May 29, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

So the Rockies just fired Clint Hurdle, who actually had success for a brief moment, and our manager, who has had none and has a worse record than Hurdle currently, remains. Hmmm.

Posted by: skippy1999 | May 29, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Since we're in something of a lull, I thought I'd bring up some baseball stuff.

During the last Phillies series, I had a thought that I didn't share at the time: both Ryan Howard and Adam Dunn should spend about 15 minutes a day practicing bunting. I'm totally serious: with the shifts teams employ for those two, anything down the third-base line and past the pitcher is almost a guaranteed single. Watch for a point, probably in the late innings of a close game (um ... if that happens), where you'd prefer to have a guy who bats .850 rather than a guy who smacks 50 homers.

Plus, after he does it a few times, he might face a less drastic shift for the rest of the season. Dunn showed bunt the other night, but nobody's buying it till he actually drops a few down.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 29, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for technology. P-I-P to watch both games!!!

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 29, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Harlan wanted to talk baseball too, in the new post.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 29, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I remember Dunn bunting when he was still with the Reds but that might have been the Manager before Dusty Baker. I have a distinct memory of Dunn pulling it off successfully. Of course it is only a good play when you are a) behind by more than one run, b) he is leading off, and c) the next 2-3 batters are capable of avoiding the double play. (In other words, not Kearns.) I think Harris was batting behind him when he tried it the other day???

Posted by: natbiscuits | May 29, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Adam Dunn should spend about 15 minutes a day practicing bunting. Posted by: Scooter_

Couldn't agree more. Been sayin this for awhile. (BTW Afternoon All.) Dunn's got the entire left side of the field wide open. Problem is, Dunn is so slow that the 3rd baseman, playing on the first base side of 2nd, could probably run in make the play and still get Dunn out at first. Definitely worth a shot though.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 29, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW what a TV night--I'm gettin excited for the couch just thinkin bout it. We've got Strasburg, Weiters, Detweiller and the Nuggets (and whoever they're playin). Picture-in-picture don't fail me now.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 29, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I think the circumstances where it could be most useful aren't *quite* as narrow as you describe, biscuits, but your main point on that is indeed right. And since I don't see the defense on every play, they may be fudging the shift in those situations. (A longer discussion would include whether he could also gain something from doing it once a week, even in non-late situations. Just to loosen up the shift. I'm not sure where I stand on that question.)

The time I'm thinking of the other night, he showed bunt but didn't really "try it" as such. Might have just been showing it to remind the defense it was an option. I'm almost positive Kearns or Willingham was behind him, but please don't hold me to it.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 29, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

>Tonight's game will be televised live by Comcast SportsNet at 7 p.m.

Yeah baybee best thing I've heard all day. I guess there's no point in limiting his innings. Especially while it's on local TV.

102. How do you do uh oh look out for the 80-something slider hoo hoo

Posted by: Brue | May 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If Comcast can televise this game why couldn't they pick up the Hershey games? They were riding a big hockey wave and let it go after the Caps were eliminated. I wonder if they even thought about it?

Posted by: MKadyman | May 29, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse