Strasburg's Injury Not Serious

A few posters on a previous post spoke of a possible injury to San Diego State pitcher Stephen Strasburg, the presumptive No. 1 pick on June 9, who started tonight for the Aztecs in the Mountain West Tournament. I just got off the phone with SDSU sports information officer Dave Kuhn, who said that Strasburg's injury is not serious. "He had a little back cramp," Kuhn said. "Just a cramp in his back. On the lower side. He's walking around now, he's fine. He just needed some Gatorade."

Today, in SDSU's 2-1 win against New Mexico, Strasburg went 7-2/3 innings, allowing three hits and striking out six. He exited after walking his first and only batter of the game.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 20, 2009; 7:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More On Cabrera, Stammen (With Q&As)
Next: Some Thoughts On Sliders In The Dirt

Comments

Good work, Chico.

Posted by: fs228 | May 20, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 3 guys just standing there. lol, I've never seen that before. This team plays like they're a minor league team. They don't even know the fundamentals! 43 errors. What a joke.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

And more errors to ship bills...

This team is just demoralizing.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 20, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I mean "to ship runs".

Yikes!

Posted by: soundbloke | May 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it looks like Stan has gotten really good at his ventriloquism act. Or maybe he finally got a chance to get those puppet strings sewn into Rizzo's back:

"Q: You now have your entire rotation as rookies and second-year players. How does that feel?

It says that we have a good corps of young major league starters, and it says that the future looks bright, and we're hoping that the rookies come of age sooner than probably expected and they win a lot of games for us."

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 20, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Aztecs radio announcer Craig Elsten caught up with winning Pitcher Stephen Strasburg following his 7 and 2/3 innings of shut out ball, he had 6K's and improved to 13-0 this season. Craig and Chris will have a recap up later but for now check out Strasburgs post game comments @ www.619sports.net/aztecs

Posted by: sportsindex1 | May 20, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Catching up on a few strings -
1) DCab to the bullpen as a Long Reliever might be the best for him right now, but not necessarily for the Team; Let him start an inning (like an SP), limit him to throwing 1-3 innings per outing; the only thing to adapt to is being available twice a week rather than once every 5-6 days (see #3).
2) Starting the "puppies" (Lannan/Stammen/JZimm/Detwiler/Martis - As long as Olsen is on the DL, this might be the best solution, short of stretching out Wells to Spot-Starter status (which might still happen).
3) The bullpen - As I suggested earlier, put all bullpen members on a 10-day / 8-appearance "contract"; If they don't perform, they either go down, get DFA's & re-sign, or take their walking papers. Villone is the only guy out there who has earned a "renewal" at this point - He's at least getting guys out in innings (and games) that count.

Posted by: BinM | May 20, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Chico,
I read your "gamer" in today's paper and the quotes from Dunn and Harris... I was stunned at their "thinking".

I was thinking of this article I read in Men's Journal about a shrink named Harvey Dorfman nicknamed Doctor Baseball. He wrote a book called "The Mental Game of Baseball"... Anyway I wonder if the Nats should seriously hire this guy after reading this article and then reading these quotes...

Said Dunn, who struck out swinging: "I was thinking, 'This is it. We're going to break out of it. We just need to get a big hit here.' "

Said Harris, who struck out looking: "I couldn't come up with the big hit. We had a chance to win the game right there. Now I've got to think about that tonight."

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 20, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh God no. Please don't pinch hit for the pitcher.

Posted by: MKadyman | May 20, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Note to Manny - DO NOT PH for Lannan in the bottom of the 6th! Leave him in & let him hit.

Posted by: BinM | May 20, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Considering Lannan hits better than our former Designated Pinch Hitter, heck, he probably should lead off the 7th.

Posted by: swang30 | May 20, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Hooray, no bullpen!

Posted by: janus4444 | May 20, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, Lannan on the mound for the top of the 7tt; Bergmann & Villone up in the bullpen - Villone might be good for 1-2 batters, but he threw two innings last night. Bring in Bergmann against either a RH or the top of the inning.

Posted by: BinM | May 20, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Prediction Pittsburgh 5 Wash 1

Posted by: MKadyman | May 20, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg's back injury was due to a misdirected syringe needle.

Posted by: BoteMan | May 20, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

At least Villone knows how to do his job. =)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

If they score, then we get Hanrahan?

Posted by: natteringnabob | May 20, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

they didn't score...now what?

Posted by: natteringnabob | May 20, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Something bad is gonna happen because Hanrahan is in.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Here comes the implosion...

Posted by: rxs85 | May 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

You called it.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | May 20, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan should be fined every time he throws a slider.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

If there is a team bus, the Nats would do well to throw Hanrahan under it. Disgraceful.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 20, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone could've called it.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Swing & a miss at a 96-mph fastball - Why is he trying to set up a batter with the slider? Nieves???

Posted by: BinM | May 20, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

why DOES he throw the damn sliders? It's his third pitch, isn't it? he threw like 15 of them this inning.

Posted by: swang30 | May 20, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Ugh.

Posted by: BinM | May 20, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Is Dukes available as a PH?

Posted by: natinbeantown | May 20, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Come on, someone hit a two run homer NOW!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Dukes was DL'd retroactive to May 15, I think.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | May 20, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

re-freakin rediculous. cant stand to watch this crap anymore. they are truly testing everyones patience. they are killing any enthusiasm for the team. someone said it best on an earlier post. gotta take a break from this garbage. gotta watch reruns on nickolodeon or something. anything else

Posted by: 1of9000 | May 20, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

I think they have willingham or bard left as PHs

Posted by: swang30 | May 20, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I think I will not watch Nats games in a while. A long while. I can't take this anymore. They just can't win. And Hanrahan sucks.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Good night, Gracie.

Posted by: BinM | May 20, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

It's kinda embarrassing being a Nats fan. 11-28! When was the last time we won? Can't remember, it was like weeks ago.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

While the bullpen did blow it again, I think the offense deserves blame too because, despite the 9th inning meltdown, the pitching still only allowed 2 runs. I guess all the guys were stunned at the fact that they only allowed 2 runs and they couldn't hit anything!

Posted by: rxs85 | May 20, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Another night another game given away. Its the same old song and dance every day. Why bother even following the team anymore?

Posted by: mastroj | May 20, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rskinz34 | May 20, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

rxs85: Yeah, does kinda suck that the offense scored 5 runs in 10 consecutive games and tonight the pitching allowed only 2 runs and the Nats could only muster 1 run.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 20, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

WE ARE NOT A SMALL MARKET! WE DESERVE AN APOLOGY FROM THE LERNERS! PLAN OR NO PLAN, HOW CAN WE EXPECT OUR PLAYERS TO SHOW SOME ATHLETIC COURAGE WHEN OUR OWNERS SHOW NONE?WHY THE HECK ARE WE SUPPOSED TO CARE? DON'T HIDE BEHIND A"PLAN"-IF IT IS ANYTHING MORE THAN A COVER FOR CHEAPNESS AND STUPIDITY-YOU ARE KILLING BASEBALL FOR THE FANS OF THE GAME AND THE TEAM! ARRRRGGGHH! I JUST......G.D.!G.D.!G.D.!....

Posted by: zendo | May 20, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

rxs85
I have a hard time blaming the offense after the scored 5+ runs in the last 10 games. Not to mention the lineup was a little "lighter" tonight than a week ago with Dukes.

Mock has been OUTRIGHTED TO SYRACUSE!!!

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time for the Nats Fans to see Dorfman!

Chico,

Posted by: PNatsFan | May 20, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Just thought I'd point out that if you look back a bit at one of my posts today I specifically said that Cabrera can not pitch with people on base and can not pitch from the stretch. So I found it very interesting that Acta said that D-Cab would only start innings and not come in in the middle with runners on base (supposedly, according to Acta, so he can get more warm-up time). Yea right. Whatever. Like I said. He's OK until one batter gets on. But at least we're moving in the right direction.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 20, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

"Its getting to the point that I'm mad at my parents for raising me up in DC. I'm 37 I've never been so sad to be a DC fan.

"Posted by: rskinz34 | May 20, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse "

Okay, if you're a 'Skins fan that CANNOT be true.

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan doesn't have a Lidge slider yet and as we see time and time again it backfires with a runner on 3rd base.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | May 20, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Manny Acta has to go i'm not interested in any more excuses the fact that you would use Hanrahan, that's it and what does he do give up a hit to the leadoff batter and then he proceeds to throw the game away.Acta should know better Hanrahan can't handle the pressure you can see it in his face it was Acta's bright idea to turn him into a closer, they lead the league in errors,probably in walks, and they are last in the league in pitching and last in fundamental's and that play by Dunn in the fourth was horrible but that goes back to Manny and spring training fundamentals how do you not hit the cutoff man? Acta does not belong period and neither does the Saint they both need to go the sooner the better.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 20, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: rskinz34 | May 20, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse "

Okay, if you're a 'Skins fan that CANNOT be true.

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------------
Good thing you weren't raised in Montreal.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 20, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soundbloke | May 20, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rxs85 | May 20, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Indeed they do. The offense is settling down into a more realistic profile of what they can do. Guz, NJ, RZim are reliable. Dunn is starting to move towards his career stats. Dukes is DL prone. Neither Kearns nor Willingham is reliable. Harris/Maxwell/Hernandez can contribute but not every night. Flores on DL, Nieves is a like Dunn in a way. Can be clutch but not always into it. Bard? Anyway...

You lose one more guy (i.e. Dunn hurt, NJ traded, whatever) and you can forget about all this great offense we've been having. It might already be starting to tank...

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | May 20, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

We're 0-7 going into Memorial Day weekend on our longest homestand of the season. Not good. It was a beautiful spring night at the park, but it was less than 1/3 full. Stan has got to be pis$$ed - I have to wonder how much longer Acta will be around.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 20, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"The Saint is a well recognized miracle worker who dragged this pathetic franchise through three years turning water into (admittedly cheap) wine. Demonizing him is pathetic and short sited."

What should Randy St. Clair spend tomorrow working on?

Stammen or Hanrahan?

They need an auxiliary pitching coach or something, with all the work Randy has on his hands, but I have to say... exactly the right people are doing well and improving. If you make me choose who the pitching coach spends time with, the young bucks should be the ones who win.

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Real Baseball Intelligence (RBI), a leading resource in the evaluation of amateur baseball talent and draft coverage, offers its 2009 Baseball Draft Guide. The Guide includes RBI's Top 400 draft prospects (including Stephen Strasburg), scouting reports of the top ten players at each position, a mock draft and more. It is available at withthefirstpick.net/guide

Posted by: bhyman1 | May 20, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

YO!!! SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE DAMN RBI BOT!!!

Did we not go through registration so that we could weed this stuff out?

"Posted by: bhyman1 | May 20, 2009 11:51 PM"

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

11-28

We get the first pick next year. Start scouting.

Posted by: Brue | May 20, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Hunh, I thought using a banned word would get me held over for review so that someone at the post would finally listen to me.

I wonder if the caps threw it off? damn

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so there are no rules anymore.

Posted by: Section506 | May 20, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse