This Afternoon's Lineup

Kearns - 9
Harris - 8
Hernandez - 4
Nieves - 2
Martis - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  May 2, 2009; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cards 6, Nats 2: A Few Post-Game Notes
Next: A Little Draft Talk

Comments

Dunn needs a day off....Acta is a fool....Willingham is useless under Acta....how many more AB's is Alex Citron getting before Acta gets canned?

Posted by: JayBeee | May 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness. No Pujols today.

Posted by: slopitchtom | May 2, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

(And JayBeee loosens up in the bullpen, tossing one pitch each out of his repertoire).

Chico, from your story today:

"Historically a slow starter, the 24-year-old is hitting .298. The average reflects the most unusual of hitting streaks: Not once has he topped two hits in a game."

Huh? You don't hit .298 with one hit a game, unless you have an awful lot of 3 at-bat games in there.

Posted by: joebleux | May 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Giving Flores a day off is a good move; he took a beating Thursday. I'm a little suprised they didn't give NJohnson a day off as well, moving the Dunnkey to 1B & going with an OF of Willingham/Harris/Dukes. We'll see.

Posted by: BinM | May 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Duh, never mind. Back to reading comprehension school for me.

Posted by: joebleux | May 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@joebleaux: What CHarlan was getting at was RZim hasn't exceeded two hits in a game during the streak; he's had some two-hit games in there.

Posted by: BinM | May 2, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BinM, I got that eventually. After I read the words in the order that Chico wrote them, and assigned them their proper English meaning. Duh. Need more coffee.

Posted by: joebleux | May 2, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee: OK, sit the cleanup hitter (Dunn) against a low-K RHP; what's your lineup?

Posted by: BinM | May 2, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Gotta celebrate the small things...no errors last night! You know, I seem to recall Mr. Lerner,upon purchasing the team, reminiscing about working in the stands of the old Senators (or where they the Nationals then?)and vowing to bring back a winning team to D.C. Seems he's just brought back the teams he remembers.....Oh well, at least I gotta work tonight....and growing up my N.L. team was the Cards. But jeez, this is so painful. I keep reminding myself to be thankful I at least now have a home team to pray for....

Posted by: zendo | May 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

For all of those who question how Manny Acta disciplines his players after mistakes, just because he doesn't criticize them in the media...is it just a coincidence that Dukes is not in the lineup today? Sure, could just be a good time to get another lefty bat in there. But maybe it's Manny's way of dealing with bad base running.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Amazing play by Hernandez.

I can't believe major league players still dive head-first for first base. That ought to be good for a stiff fine in the kangaroo court.

Posted by: joebleux | May 2, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

All right Nationals, wait Pinero out - make him throw strikes.

Posted by: BinM | May 2, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

So, Angel Hernandez again. Let's see if the strike zone stays that wide in the top of the next inning. I'm betting someone gets ejected for arguing balls and strikes today. Maybe Dunn.

Posted by: joebleux | May 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Charlie made a subtle comment about the plate getting a little wider after RZim's double. With A. Hernandez behind the plate today, I guess we're lucky that Lannan isn't on the mound.

Posted by: BinM | May 2, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse