Some Numbers, Some Reading, Some Music

This is hardly earth-shattering, but it's an off-day so let's look at where the Nats rank among all 30 teams in a variety of categories.

Hitting
Runs: 12th
Hits: 5th
Homers: 8th
Walks: T5th
Strikeouts: 6th
Average: 5th (.281)
OBP: 4th (.361)
Slugging: 8th (.448)

Pitching
ERA: 28th (5.46; who's worse? Yankees and Indians)
Saves: T20th (6; only team with fewer: Minnesota [poor JiM])
Blown saves: T1st (10)
Walks: 1st
Strikeouts: 27th (ahead of Angels, Pirates, Rangers)
Wild pitches: 1st
Holds: 1st (27)

So let's say we can conclude that pitching is the problem. Grab your environmentally friendly cloth bag and let's go shopping: Tim Dierkes has a list of Diamondbacks who might be available. Anything catch your eye (other that Felipe Lopez)?

The Philly Daily News has Utley and Victorino talking about hitting streaks.

There's an article and video on mlb.com of Tony Gwynn talking about Stephen Strasburg. Nothing new here but it's Strasburg, so I thought I'd mention it.

Now, for a very serious issue: music. I'm guessing i'm not the only one among us who has a playlist on her/his iPod labeled "baseball." Mine is fine, as far as it goes, but it's short.

(I should add I also sprinkled in some audio clips, like the Gehrig speech and my favorite, Casey Stengel testifying before Congress. Not added: Mark McGwire testifying before Congress.)

So since it's an off-day -- and since I'm getting ready to head off on a driving-heavy trip -- I thought it might be a good time to solicit suggestions from this bunch. Here's what I've got.

It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame
Joltin' Joe DiMaggio
I Love Mickey
The First Baseball Game
Baseball, Baseball ("I tried to get him in my sweet embrace, all he had on his mind was the pennant race...")
Let's Keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn
Van Lingle Mungo
D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song
Willie, Mickey and the Duke
Who's on First?
Robbie-Doby-Boogie
Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball
Say Hey
The Game for All America (Ernie Harwell)

I know I need "Center Field." What else? Help me out; post your own lists below.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  May 14, 2009; 8:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zimmerman Update
Next: Why the Nats Are Still Worth Watching

Comments

10 blown saves -- OUCH! Even with only half of those back, we'd be a .500 team like pretty much the rest of the NL East. Call up Bergmann before Friday please!

Posted by: msolem | May 14, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Swing (by Trace Adkins)

Posted by: rvrtis | May 14, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Tracee:

It's a bit of a reach, but you've got to have Paradise (by the Dashboard Lights) in that mix somewhere, especially for driving.

Posted by: BinM | May 14, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

YES, BinM! I have that album and CD both; I shoulda thought of that one. "Swing" I don't know, but I'll take a listen.

Posted by: traceeh | May 14, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tracee... Great post. Remind me to lend you a CD of the Baseball episode of Bob Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour" show on XM. It's worth an hour of your time just to hear his a capella version of "Take Me Out To the Ballgame," which opens the show. But here's the full playlist:

* Take Me Out To The Ball Game - Bob Dylan
* Take Me Out To The Ball Game - The Skeletons
* Baseball Boogie - Mabel Scott
* Home Run - Chance Halladay
* Baseball Baby - Johnny Darling
* Baseball Canto - Lawrence Ferlinghetti
* Three Strikes And You're Out - Cowboy Copas
* The Ball Game - Sister Wynona Carr
* Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball - Buddy Johnson
* Joltin' Joe DiMaggio - Les Brown & His Orchestra (with Betty Bonney)
* Joe DiMaggio's Done It Again - Billy Bragg & Wilco
* Don Newcomb Really Throws That Ball - Teddy Brannon Orchestra
* Newk's Fadeaway - Sonny Rollins
* Say Hey - The Treniers
* The Wizard Of Oz - Sam Bush
* 3rd Base, Dodger Stadium - Ry Cooder
* Heart - Damn Yankees (Original Broadway Cast)

Posted by: DaveSheinin | May 14, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"Cheap Seats," by Alabama. Great song about minor league baseball.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 14, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Tracee-
This one isn't music, but I think it's really entertaining: George Carlin's stand-up comedy bit about baseball and football. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I

Posted by: usmc53 | May 14, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Tracee, I'm too last century to even own one of those IPOD thingies, but I thought I'd put in a plug for this series of baseball CDs:

Also, perhaps rather esoteric, but I have a CD called "Play Ball," which I picked up at a P-Nats game at one point (it dates from the days of the Cannons). I think that my fave piece that one is the O. Blackwell and J. Hammer take on Great Balls of Fire, with additional, pitching-related lyrics by J. Snapp-Moffett. Hilarious!

On the same CD, I also like J. Singer's Gus and J. Bristol's (Never Leave Home) Without Your Glove. Oh, and B. Thompson's Up to the Show, with shout-outs to the Minor League affiliates of various teams. The CD also includes Fogerty's Centerfield (which is perhaps a bit overplayed at this point). Eh, what the hey, just buy the dang CD! ;-)

Nice shout-out to JiM, BTW. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

It's not a baseball song, but supposedly when Joe DiMaggio heard "Mrs. Robinson" he said, "I don't understand, I haven't gone anywhere. I'm right here."

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Trying to avoid repeats ...

Tu Amor Como un Farol (Tony Vega)-Wil Nieves's batting music for dancing
Right Field (Peter, Paul, and Mary)-hilarious!
There Used to be a Ballpark Here (Frank Sinatra)
Take Me Out to the Ballgame (Dr. John)
The Cheap Seats (Alabama)

Posted by: dcbatgirl | May 14, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Gotta have Boys of Summer, either the Ataris version or the Don Henly version are great.

TEAM from the Charlie Brown Musical is a fun one about baseball for tailgaiting and sunny days.

I also know it is for the Red Sox, but Tessie by the Dropkick Murphys is a great song.

I also would reccomend Cheap Seats by Alabama, Gotta Have Heart from Damn Yankees and I also have a few of the scenes from Damn Yankees

Posted by: BigTrain | May 14, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

No DC baseball playlist would be complete without "Walter Johnson" by Jonathan Richman.

This isn't the best version of the song, but it's got great footage of the Big Train in action. (For the geeky, the best version of the song is off "Rockin' and Romance.")

Posted by: BigTrainingWheels | May 14, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"Glory Days," by Bruce Springsteen is kind of baseball-related. Great song.

Posted by: usmc53 | May 14, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Also as long as you are including songs from other teams, our bretheren to the north in Baltimore actually have an awesome song called

"A World of Orioles Baseball by Hyper Hanna" pays tribute to the Orioles and baseball greats from Ripken to Murray

Posted by: BigTrain | May 14, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Since you've got some spoken word in there already, you could listen to Might Casey striking out.

Also, to me 'Bustin Loose' has become a baseball song due to blaring after every Nats homer in DC. If I was an announcer my signature dinger call would be "And ____ ____ feels like bustin loose!!"

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

That's Mighty Casey. There is no spelling in Mudville today

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Barry Zito's twitter:
"For the record Zimmerman gets the IBB regardless of streak. That's what happens when your the best guy in line up in that situation. Night"

Not to rehash, but I think most of us saw the lineup last night and hoped that Dunn would have been starting, despite the lefty-lefty match-up.

Posted by: jctichen | May 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

@Tracee

Have a great trip. Who is going to serve as Chico's surrogate during your absence? You've spoiled us, you know.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

As to the baseball part of the trade, I'm not sure what it would take, but I'd pry Doug Davis or Scott Schoeneweis away from the D'backs if we could.

Davis could plug in as a replacement and significant upgrade over Cabrera or Olson, and Schoeneweis could take the place of Kensing (or pretty much anyone else in relief).

Posted by: faNATic | May 14, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

With whom are we tied for blown saves?

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | May 14, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

And by "trade," of course I meant "post."

Posted by: faNATic | May 14, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

On a local note, I liked the Nationals Swing song which came out in the first year of the team. Couldn't find a link with some quick Googling, though.

You might get some more song ideas here (it's actually poems and songs, though the link would indicate otherwise):

And on a somewhat related note (because I'm all about the tangents), for baseball poetry and prose, I love the anthology Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend (Women Writers on Baseball). Fave random quote (credit Carol Tavris): A fan without a team is like a hog without truffles--she has nothing to root for.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It may be a bit heretical here, but I grew up in New York City in the 60's and I keep a recording of Jane Jarvis playing "Meet the Mets" on Shea Stadium's Thomas organ.

No matter how many other arrangements they may play on the radio, it was hearing her play it on the organ that was special because it meant you were THERE. I still love it.

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 14, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Who is the other team with 10 blown saves? I have to agree with Manny Acta. An average bullpen (3 or 4 blown saves instead of 10) and this team would be .500 or better.

As for songs, there's a great parody of that Talkin' Baseball song in the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns brought in all the major league ringers to play with Homer on the nuclear plant's softball team. I bet it's on iTunes.

Posted by: section417planD | May 14, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Gary Glitter - Rock'n Roll Part 2

Posted by: NationalsPrideMike | May 14, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" is a baseball song to me ... I remember it as the theme for Senators TV broadcasts in the late 60s-1971.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | May 14, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Answering my own question - Houston has 10 blown saves (according to WikiAnswers - your mileage may vary) ... Funny; I'm pretty sure I saw both teams blow saves on May 5!

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | May 14, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"The Kid From Spavinaw" by Tom Russell. It is a mellow tribute to Mickey Mantle.

Posted by: CoachD1 | May 14, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Here is what plays in my head during certain moments of a game

Knock The Cover Off The Ball - Randy Newman from the Natural

Burn On – Randy Newman opening song from Major League

Take Me Out to the Ballgame - Carly Simon

Posted by: CBinDC1 | May 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

For those who are interested, get the whole album "Chavez Ravine". Its a great concept album about the rip-off of the Chavez Ravine, very well done by Ry Cooder.

Dave Sheinin listed one song (3rd Base, Dodger Stadium), but the whole album, essentially, is about the business of baseball.

Posted by: nattydread1 | May 14, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

(pssst, Tracee, I think that you forgot the "B" in front of "Utley.")

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

To go in a more indie direction:

Joe Dimaggio Done It Again by Billy Bragg and Wilco (written by Woody Guthrie)

Empty Baseball Park by Whiskeytown

Caroline by Old Crow Medicine Show (not completely about baseball, but a great verse referring to playing in the minors)

Posted by: gtrain82 | May 14, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"There used to be a ballpark"-Frank Sinatra

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Meridian1--I couldn't agree with you more. Nothing says Real Baseball like a live organist, and Jane Jarvis was the best! (According to Wikipedia, she's still alive and well and playing jazz piano in Cocoa Beach Florida)

Posted by: ramgut | May 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

That's Mighty Casey. There is no spelling in Mudville today

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 9:08 AM

---------

Haahaha .. nice one, nattaboy. Also note that "Casey At The Bat" is a boyhood fave. over here, too.

Posted by: ihatewalks | May 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Surprised nobody mentioned The Baseball Project, a group of alternative rock heroes (Peter Buck from REM, Scott McCaughey and Steve Wynn of the Dream Syndicate). The entire CD (Volume 1: Frozen Ropes and Dying Quails) is comprised of baseball songs:
Past Time (McCaughey) - 2:57
Ted F***ing Williams (Wynn) - 3:04
Gratitude (For Curt Flood) (Wynn) - 3:23
Broken Man (McCaughey) - 2:52
Satchel Paige Said (McCaughey) - 2:25
Fernando (Wynn) - 3:47
Long Before My Time (Wynn) - 3:14
Jackie's Lament (Wynn) - 3:25
Sometimes I Dream of Willie Mays (McCaughey) - 3:33
The Death of Big Ed Delahanty (McCaughey) - 3:35
Harvey Haddix (Wynn) - 4:25
The Yankee Flipper (McCaughey) - 3:40
The Closer (Wynn) - 4:24

By the way, The Yankee Flipper is about Jack McDowell, which may test the baseball knowledge of some of you out there.

I've got the song Past Time, which is cool jangly rock with good lyrics: "When Campy Campaneris played all nine positions in a game. When Pete
Rose demolished Ray Fosse he was never the same.

31 wins and an album
on Capitol for Denny McLain. So long ago, so long, Pastime, are you past your prime?"

Worth checking out.

Posted by: baltova1 | May 14, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

My favorites are Hava Nagila and the Noodle Roni song, both of which are now, inexplicably, classic baseball rally music (well, maybe not so much the former, since it is a song of celebration).

Posted by: joebleux | May 14, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Catfish" by Bob Dylan
"Dock Ellis' No-No" by Chuck Brodsky
I was aware of Dock Ellis' NoNO but
when I looked on ITunes to find out
who sings it I see that he has a
whole CD called the Baseball Ballads.
"Glory Days" by the Boss
"The Greatest" by Kenny Rogers
"I Am Here" by John McCutcheon (same deal as Brodsky - I discovered he has a whole baseball themed CD called Sermon on the Mound)

And my own plug for the best baseball themed novel - "The Last Days of Summer" by Steve Kluger

Posted by: CoachD1 | May 14, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Meridian1:

I always loved Meet the Mets. I, too, grew up in New York in the '60s. The Mets were still my team until the Nats came to town. Now, of course, they are the enemy.

I can still sing every word of Meet the Mets.

Posted by: NoVaSnow | May 14, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Carly Simon's "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" and all the rest of the music in Ken Burns' Baseball documentary.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 14, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Two comments on the songs:

I don't see anything from "Damn Yankees" listed. At the very least include (You Gotta Have) Heart.

and for all the Cubs fans out there (and you know who you are) Steve Goodman's "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request".

Posted by: twinbrook | May 14, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

earl weaver rant: radio call in show, discussing small ball, terry crowley and tips for growing tomatos. (not for kids)

i also have the Baseball project cd. "past time" is very catchy and i sing that 1st verse all the time at weird random moments.

nice call on tom russell!

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | May 14, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

sorry I'm a little behind, but I have to comment on the comments.

1. missed the game last night, but had my buddy texting me for Zim's every at bat.

Going back and reading the game time comments was, again, hilarious. I highly recommend it any time you miss a game.

nattaboy, yours was my favorite. I'm still laughing:

"okay everybody. act casual..."

And 506's prayer. dude, you're an awesome commenter!

2. And now this post. I'm blown away by all the baseball music knowledge you folks have.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 14, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

It's already been mentioned, but I have to second "Right Field" by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Sung from the perspective of a little leaguer, it's a really great baseball song -- and it makes me laugh every time. :)

Posted by: Jenny71 | May 14, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

NoVaSnow--

Can you sing the second verse of Meet the Mets? (The one that begins with "The Butcher and the Baker and the People on the Street")

Boy, the Nats' song sucks. Does Clint even try to get people to sing it anymore before the game?

Posted by: ramgut | May 14, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

No ipod here, but I like those lists anyway. So, Nats relief corp is tied for lead with holds. What an oxymoron that is.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 14, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

For the playlist:

Kanye West "Barry Bonds"

Posted by: Bohemians1905 | May 14, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Welcome to DC" -Mambo Sauce

Posted by: jctichen | May 14, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Okay, since joebleux brought it up, I have to confess that the little kid in me sometimes gets pulled into the DJ music at games (purists please cover your ears and hum a few bars of Take Me Out to the Ballgame). One time we were at a game at RFK and they started playing the Green Acres theme song after a foul ball (What's up with that?). The fellow in front of me sang a verse of the Eddie Albert part, and I picked up on the Eva Gabor part, much to the chagrin of both my husband and the fellow's tween daughter. I also like the Car Wash theme. heh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

ramgut:

Nope. I can't sing the second verse. I didn't even realize it existed until I looked it up.

Posted by: NoVaSnow | May 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

nice call also on Ry Cooder’s Chavez Ravine album.

found this on it,

...a song cycle that conjures an era of UFOs, the Red Scare, and political machinations that leveled the Chavez Ravine barrio to lure the Brooklyn Dodgers to LA. inspired by the book of photos... In 1949, photographer Don Normark walked up into the hills of Los Angeles, looking for a good view. Instead, he found Chavez Ravine, a ramshackle Mexican-American neighborhood tucked away in Elysian Park. the following year, the city of L.A. evicted the 300 families of Chávez Ravine to make way for a low-income public housing project. The land was cleared, homes, schools, and church razed to the ground. But the real estate lobby, sensing a great opportunity, accused the LA Housing Authority's Frank Wilkinson of being a communist agent. The city folded and instead of building the promised housing, it sold the land to baseball owner Walter O'Malley, who built Dodger Stadium on the site.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | May 14, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Has anybody mentioned:
Chuck Berry's Brown-Eyed Handsome Man
Garland Jeffreys' One-Eyed Jack

Posted by: smallsamplesize | May 14, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

You have to get the video of Penn and Teller reading "Casey at the Bat."

Well, actually, it's Penn reading it while Teller tries to escape from a straitjacket and certain death before Penn finishes.

Posted by: gilbertbp | May 14, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Pitching isn't the only problem. And defense isn't either. There's something ya'll are overlooking in those offensive #s. 5th in Hits and 5th in Walks. (5th in BA and 4th in OBP). Even 8th in HRs and Slugging, so it's not just a Punch and Judy and offense, slapping their way, one base at a time.

For all that, the Nats are only 12th in Runs. That means the Nats are really bad with men on base or RiSP. Part of that may be the Nats' lack of a running game.

I'd be curious if statisticians could break down a comparison of how the Nats do in advancing runners beyond first base, and how they do with RiSP, compared with other teams. And, if some genius could break out the %s for sacrifices and stolen bases and extrapolate run production from those things which the Nats do not do.

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Found a link for Baseball Music Project, as mentioned by a couple of folks above:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I heartily nominate "Bill Lee" by Warren Zevon

Also for some reason I think of "Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard" as a baseball song even though it isn't. Probably because Mickey Mantle was in the video...

Posted by: funafuti | May 14, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Nats can't earn a save. Twins can't find save opportunities.

Look at their wins this month:

14-10
6-2
9-6
11-0 (!)
7-2
7-5

Nathan's only had six save opportunities all year (and has converted five). They either blow a team out or lose.

I guess that's why people are so calm here. They don't have to put up with the same late innings anxiety.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 14, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Also, it's nerdy, but I'd throw in "Baseball" by Ozma (track seven on Rock and Roll Part III). It's more about a girl than about the sport, but they work in some over-the-top baseball imagery in there.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Fischy; we are horrible with men on base despite all of our glowing offensive stats, we leave more men on base than Ray Charles and still we knock the cover off the ball.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if a recording of the old National Beer jingle exists. It was played constantly on Senators' radio broadcasts in the '60s ("It's brewed on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay'') They should bring it back and call it Nationals Beer.

Posted by: nats24 | May 14, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Sorry dargregmag, but you got me wondering: exactly how many men did Ray Charles leave on base during his illustrious MLB career?

Posted by: faNATic | May 14, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

One thing we can be sure of, he was never caught looking.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"They should bring it back and call it Nationals Beer."

Bring it back? It never went away. What do you think Natty Boh, the official quantity beer of Baltimore, is anyway? Natty Boh = National Bohemian. Same beer, just not brewed in Maryland any more, as it was in the '60s. According to Wikipedia, the brand was merged with Carling, then sold to Stroh, then to Pabst and finally to Miller, who now brews it in Eden NC.

Posted by: section417planD | May 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

OK, faNATic and 1a, I smell collusion here -- that was just a little too good of a hanging curve ball there.

Posted by: joebleux | May 14, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who is pitching the 2nd game of the doubleheader Saturday night vs Philly? Originally Cabrera was scheduled for that game with Zimmerman slotted for Sunday. Now they've got Cabrerea listed for Sunday and Zim for Monday.
I'm trying to gage when Zim will actually pitch so I can get tix to see him. As anyone who has read my posts knows, I won't watch Cabrera on TV let alone pay to see him. So this is kinda important.
Any help peeps?
Thx.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

No collusion, I promise. But joebleux, the real question is, when natsfan1a hit that hanging curve out of the park, were there any Nationals on base at the time?

Posted by: faNATic | May 14, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The soundtrack from the movie "The Natural" by Randy Newman.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | May 14, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

No collusion here. Not sure about the RISP, though.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Good question, doveline. When I checked this a.m., they had TBA pitching on Sunday and Monday (he's not my fave, either). I was also hoping that it would be Z'nn on Sunday.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Just checked and on the team site they still have Cabrera listed on Saturday p.m.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Just checked and on the team site they still have Cabrera listed on Saturday Posted by: natsfan1a1

Yea but ESPN has it blank on Saturday night and Cabrera on Sunday. Who should I trust?
Seriously I refuse to waste my money going to a game when D-Cab is pitching.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

This was in an article earlier this week on the team website:

"According to Acta, Cabrera is still in the rotation and will make his scheduled start against the Phillies on Sunday"

But now the team site has Cabrera listed for Sat night. We probably won't know until tomorrow or even Saturday. It makes me wonder if returning T Young to Cincy was to make open a 40 man spot for a starter on Saturday instead of for Colome.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | May 14, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Who should I trust?

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 12:44 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

Trust no one.

Or, as the Gipper said, "trust, but verify."

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I mean this gently, doveline: there ARE eight other men on the field and twenty-four others eligible to be on the field. Some of them are better than Cabrera is bad and deserve your support as much as he deserves your scorn. I mean, this is OUR team. Posted by: Section506

And I plan on supporting our team at the Yaad, just not when D-Cab is on the mound. I think that's pretty reasonable. I don't have to pay to sit thru 10 walks and 5 wild pitches. I wanna see Zim or Martis throwing.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd tend to trust the team site over ESPN, but that's just my own opinion.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I saw something to that effect this a.m., NNF. I think it was in the other paper.

---

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | May 14, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

BTW if you listened to Carpenter and Dibble during Cabrera's last start, it is pretty evident they are getting tired of even calling his games. And rightly so. Man it is the last remenants of the curse of Bowden.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Never mind. I misread the NNF post. What I read this a.m. was about opening a slot for Colome.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I liked when Dibble said that if they blew the game he'd send the relievers to Alcatraz.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

That was in yesterday's game, I should add.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Natsfan1&fanatic= blog police

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Re: Meet the Mets. My daughter the Mets fan tells me that this weekend when they played Sweet Caroline at Citifield, one whole section started singing Meet the Mets, and it was like the scene in Casablanca where the band and the people in the bar sing-down the Nazis.

Posted by: markfromark | May 14, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Tracee, Tracee--you gotta start with the national anthem. the orchestra version from "Baseball" works nicely, and it's only about 90 sec.

sometimes I say things I shouldn't, too, so I'll second funafuti on Bill Lee

twinbrook - thanks for remembering Steve Goodman. (I miss him.)

and coolness props to Tracee for having "Van Lingle Mungo" on the list.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 14, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

and speaking of the Cubs -- (King Kelly's bio: http://tinyurl.com/oe8yt4 for those of us under 120 years old)

Slide, Kelly, Slide

Recorded by George J. Gaskin (1893)
Published by Frank Harding, New York (1889)

Slide, Kelly, Slide!
Your running's a disgrace!
Slide, Kelly, Slide!
Stay there, hold your base!
If some one doesn't steal you,
And your batting doesn't fail you,
They'll take you to Australia!
Slide, Kelly, Slide!
Slide, Kelly, Slide

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 14, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

That being said, he's a goofy homer and I'm glad people are enjoying it

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Soundtrack to The Sandlot. Especially Ray Charles singing America The Beautiful. What a scene

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't really like Dibble - it irks me how he's never sure about any of the stats he spits out and often says the wrong numbers/names. Also he's got plenty of that former player 'I had the opportunity to play with all these hall-of-famers...' type stroytelling that I kinda hate. Oh and I thought "Magnum ZI" was stupid and he said it 4 too many times. Posted by: nattaboy

Although I agree with everything you said natboy, I actually like Dibble a lot more than I thought I would and think Carpenter is 100% better with him than with Sutton.
I like that he's honest and isn't afraid to really call it like he sees it although in the end it may cost him his job.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

please, please, please, please, please let Cabrera be pitching on Saturday. Sunday's in my season ticket plan and I swear, he's the only pitcher we've had so far.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 14, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Of course, the Dropkick Murphy's "Tessie." 'Nuf Ced.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | May 14, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag, I think much more like "kindergarten cop" than "blog police."

Don't know if nf1a wants to be lumped in either way; you'll have to ask her.

Posted by: faNATic | May 14, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I am looking into the pitching question. Our source is the game notes ... and they aren't updated since it's an off day. So let me see what I can find out from the Nats...

National Anthem -- of course!

All these suggestions are great! I'm printing this subject out for study.

Posted by: traceeh | May 14, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

---

Natsfan1&fanatic= blog police

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

More like class clown in my case, I'm afraid, fanatic.

Thanks for checking on the pitchers, Tracee.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes of course TH. But what version? My favorite ever was at Wrigley - it was a simple instrumental on acoustic guitar that everyone (at least in the upper deck) slowly began singing along to in hushed voices.

Also, shout out to (y)our Tigers, with Verlander - my pick for Cy Young - already striking out 5 through 2.1 innings.

And go BrewCrew skin the fish

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for checking on the pitchers, Tracee.

Ditto.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: There's something ya'll are overlooking in those offensive #s. 5th in Hits and 5th in Walks. (5th in BA and 4th in OBP). Even 8th in HRs and Slugging, so it's not just a Punch and Judy and offense, slapping their way, one base at a time.

You are so right, Fischy. Part of it is Acta, whose idea of managing is to wait for a three-run homer. Part of the problem was/is Bowden/Rizzo, who have built this team with about six identical batters: slow, pull, one-base-at-a-time batters (Nick, Zimm, Dunn, Willingham/Kearns/Flo-Belly-hard. No speed. Nobody can handle a bat so forget the hit-and-run. Hell, nobody can even hit a ground to second with a runner on second and less than two out. Fundamentally, this is still an awful club and that goes straight to Acta. I was actually hoping they would bomb on this road trip, and Lerners/Stan the Plan Man would be embarrassed into taking action. Instead, we've still got Manny "It's still early in the season" Acta sticking with D-Cab, Cintron, AK, Lansing (Kenseth) and the rest of our bottom 10, who have to be the 10 worse players in baseball.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 14, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Green Onions by Booker T. and the M.G.'s. It's not a baseball song per se, but I immediately think of baseball when I hear it, likely thanks to the Sandlot.

Also, it would be my theme song if I ever had one.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 14, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Fischy: I was thinking the same thing. In addition to the issues you mentioned, it seems like they don't do the little things like go from 1st to 3rd on singles or make productive outs w/RISP and less than 2 outs. I recall when Brian Schneider was here, he had a streak of like 8 RBIs in a row without a hit. Granted, a hit is preferred, but you have to get those runs home with less than 2 outs any way you can.

Posted by: slewis1 | May 14, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Courtesy of Nats Journal favorite Bill Gluvna, here are the weekend pitchers:

Fri - Lannan
Sat #1 - Olsen
Sat #2 - Cabrera
Sun - Zimmermann

Posted by: traceeh | May 14, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tracee. You're swell!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

WE PICKED UP THE BILL:

Courtesy of Nats Journal favorite Bill Gluvna, here are the weekend pitchers:

Fri - Lannan
Sat #1 - Olsen
Sat #2 - Cabrera
Sun - Zimmermann

You're welcome, Tracee.

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Tracee - seriously, you just made my weekend. I'm going to Saturday #1 and Sunday, and, while I hear what 506 is saying about it being our team and there being eight other men on the field, I really, really, really hate watching Cabrera pitch. Not just from a results standpoint. I mean I hate watching him pitch. Like, aesthetically.

Posted by: Section220 | May 14, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Kennesaw Mountain Landis" by Jonathan Coulton.

Posted by: nationalsanthems | May 14, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

There is a SONG about Kennesaw Mountain Landis? Oh, I'm excited. My favorite commish! Imagine him handling the Manny Ramirez situation.

Posted by: traceeh | May 14, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Offer Split Endz song:
"Six Months in a Leaky Boat"
Perfect for Nats 'pen

Posted by: HaikuMan | May 14, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"For all that, the Nats are only 12th in Runs. "

They're 5th in runs per game in the NL, which is a little better. It doesn't really make sense to lump AL and NL teams together with regard to run production (DH).

Let's not get carried away here. Pitching and defense are the problems. More timely hitting would help mask this, but it's not an underlying issue.

Posted by: joebleux | May 14, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Thx Tracee.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to re-post my off-day suggestion of congratulating Zim for the hit streak in the comment section of his blog. We could put up 100 comments or more over there.

Posted by: jcj5y | May 14, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Meet the Mets" with Jane Jarvis on that magical Shea Stadium Thomas Organ was more then a 10 year old kid could stand.

Yupper before my dad got transfered to DC we lived in NYC from 1965-1969 and I can still hear that song. Now days they play it before/after every Mets broadcast on WFAN.

Although I despise the current day CitiField crew and especially Omar Minaya, those early Mets days are pretty happy memories, especially when we got to NOVA and the Sens left two short years later.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 14, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Kennesaw Mountain Landis" by Jonathan Coulton.

Posted by: nationalsanthems
-----------
Link (with Paul and Storm - from the late lamented Da Vinci's Notebook)!:

Posted by: OldDude | May 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Also, I recommend voting as many times as possible (25) for Zim in the All-Star game. It's our only hope for justice at third base in the NL's starting lineup."

The limit on All Star votes is 25 per e-mail address. But here's a dirty little secret. You don't have to use a real e-mail address to vote. I found this out accidentally when I mis-typed my address as gmial.com instead of gmail.com and it took it. So I did my 25 votes, then switched to gmail.com and it let me have 25 more votes. So theoretically, there is no upper limit on how many votes one person can cast. Just keep making up e-mail addresses and keep on voting, if not for Milledge then at least for Zimmerman. You can bet all the New Yorkers are doing the same for David Wright.

Posted by: section417planD | May 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Agreed and agreed.

The more comments and (cheat) votes for Zim, the better.

Posted by: nattaboy | May 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Star Spangled Mojo - Mojo Nixon

Posted by: comish4lif | May 14, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

With all the chatter about the Nats bad pitching, I thought that this article was very interesting about the Rangers. By a number of measures, their pitching is worse than last year but their ERA is substantially better due to improved defense. Since it is going to be virtually impossible for the Nats to acquire good pitching via trade, this may be the way to see some immediate improvement. I am not sure how they go about it, other than maybe slide Dukes to right and bring up Langerhans or Maxwell for CF. Guzman is hitting too well replace him for a superb defensive SS (not that we have one anyway).

Posted by: Willy2 | May 14, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Not so much a baseball song, but a great indie-rock baseball-reference lyric:

Cubs in Five (by The Mountain Goats):

they're gonna find intelligent life up there on the moon
and the canterbury tales will shoot up to the top of the best seller list
and stay there for 27 weeks

and the chicago cubs will beat every team in the league
and the tampa bay bucs will make it the way to january
and i will love you again
i will love you, like i used to

There's more, but you get the picture. You can tell it was written quite a while back, with the TB Bucs bit, but this always makes me smile...

Posted by: jcville | May 14, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Why do they even let you vote 25 times? So you can select every third baseman in the league twice?"

The idea is that you cast 25 identical ballots. In fact the system is set up to facilitate that, because as soon as you click the Vote Again button the ballot is pre-populated with all your personal information and your previous selections. All you need to do to revote the same ticket is fill in the new verification code. (And uncheck the "bombard me with e-mail spam" box, since conveniently - for them - that box defaults to checked every time even if you had unchecked it before. But of course if you're using a fake e-mail address that's not an issue.)

The real injustice here is that if you punch out the holes on a ballot at the stadium, presumably that ballot really only counts as 1/25th of a vote compared with the online ballots.

Posted by: section417planD | May 14, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

As most of you know, I have been on the Dukes bandwagon and a huge supporter from the beginning. However, he is even trying me now. I am more than willing to ride out a batting slump. That's normal. And as atrocious as his playing in CF has been, I'm even willing to cut him a break there.
But his baserunning is out of freakin control. Is the guy dense? How many times can someone get picked off in one week. I mean is he becoming Milledge. That stuff is inexcusable.
And for it to keep happening is, I'll say again, on the manager. There's no teaching, no discipline. Manny Acta has got to go. And Dukes needs to sit until he learns a basic lesson.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Kenesaw Mountain Landis yeah a real american kept men like Josh Gibson,Satchel Paige,"Cool Papa Bell" and other Negro league players out of MLB and helped deny a legion of fans the pleasure of seeing some great ballplayers.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Josie's on a vacation far away..."
Okay, this 80's band never had any songs about baseball, but I loved their name - The Outfield.

Posted by: DoctorJoe | May 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Done and done, jcj.

FWIW, doveline, a recent post on one of the MASN blogs (can't remember which one) notes that Acta has talked to Dukes about it. They also noted that base coaching can be a factor. It is an unfortunate trend, I agree.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Found it. It was Phil Wood.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad somebody's already mentioned the Hungry for Music series of baseball song CDs. They're up to a dozen now, with the proceeds from sales going to charity. It's a long way up in the thread of posts so I'll repeat the link to those discs: http://www.hungryformusic.com/hfm/cds.htm

And I don't think anybody's mentioned the song "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" by Steve Goodman, who's better known for writing "City of New Orleans", classicly recorded by Arlo Guthrie. What makes you cry though your laughter as you listen to "Last Request" is knowing that it's not really fiction -- Goodman knew he was dying of the leukemia that would kill him at the age of 36 when he wrote and recorded the song.

###
He said, "Give me a double header funeral in Wrigley Field
On some sunny weekend day (no lights)
Have the organ play the "National Anthem"
and then a little 'na, na, na, na, hey hey, hey, Goodbye'
Make six bullpen pitchers carry my coffin
and six ground keepers clear my path
Have the umpires bark me out at every base
In all their holy wrath
Its a beautiful day for a funeral, Hey Ernie lets play two!
###

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 14, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag: Good point; you're right. I just am continually bothered by this paragraph in these drug stories:

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig couldn’t comment on the suspension because of provisions of the management-union drug agreement, spokesman Rich Levin said.

Posted by: traceeh | May 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Take me out to the ball game by Dr. John is on my IPod

Posted by: alm1000 | May 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

A couple of others have 'Heart' from Damn Yankees. A must!

Regarding the National Anthem, you need to get Jimi Hendrix' version!

Posted by: Section314 | May 14, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Fixed. :-)

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig couldn’t comment on the suspension because [SUBLIMINAL FAN SEZ: HE'S A WEASEL] of provisions of the management-union drug agreement, spokesman Rich Levin said.

Posted by: traceeh | May 14, 2009 3:19 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the National Anthem, you need to get Jimi Hendrix' version! Posted by: Section314

Scuze me while I kiss the sky! Only the greatest version Eva!

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If we're having sad songs, maybe we could add Cowboy's Lament/Streets of Laredo (sung in Bang the Drum Slowly)? But that's not really driving music.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Though the classic misheard lyric would be "scuse me while I kiss this guy" on that one...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Okay, this is way, way off topic, but I can't help posting this here, where Snark is King:

I'm not even an American Idol fan but the snark in this article is off the charts.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 14, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Traceeh, yeah Bud's in denial big time but what do you expect from a car dealer or should i say ex-car dealer LOL!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey, PattyinSJ, if you're on here, check out the post on the Baseball Insider about the possibility of either the Giants or the A's moving to SJ after Fremont fell through. I'm curious as to where the SJ site would be.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Patty mentioned Nick Johnson signing autographs. I remember back in aught-five or maybe it was six, late in the year I was down by the field for warmups. As Johnson trotted into the dugout, some kid called out "Hey Nick, will you sign my baseball?" Johnson caught the kid's eye and gave an infinitesimal nod. The kid rolled his ball across the dugout roof, and soon said roof was flooded with balls, pens, programs, ticket stubs ... can't remember what-all people were chucking across there. He [Johnson] gathered all the stuff and quickly disappeared down the steps. A few minutes later, a hand pops up and tosses all the balls onto the dugout roof, where the fans proceeded to sort out which belonged to whom. The paper products followed shortly, in much the same manner.

I think most of us fans have some sort of idea just how much of a time drain our requests can be, and how gracious these fellows generally are, but that kinda drove it home for me. I mean, the man did the bare minimum to advertise that he was signing, and within seconds, he was inundated and had to escape to keep it from getting worse.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 14, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I second "Boys of Summer", but if you're going to be driving, it's got to be the Ataris version.

And I used to have the Hendrix version of The Star Spangled Banner on my baseball playlist, but I removed it because all of the feedback in the middle gets annoying after a while. Boston has a pretty rockin' version on their Greatest Hits album.

Posted by: Aterio | May 14, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

My favorite fan memory was Robert Fick throwing his hat into the stands at the last game in 2006. Then he threw up his batting gloves. Then went back into the dugout and came back with his bag and started throwing balls from it out into the stands. Then he ran out of balls and threw the whole bag up.

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

There's a song by the late Skip Battin (of the Byrds and Flying Burrito Bros.) called "St. Louis Browns". It's on a solo album of his which was re-released in 2003 and is available at amazon.com.

Posted by: bertbkatz | May 14, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@Tracee

Two musical recommendations. Get the sound tracks to "The Natural" and Ken Burns's "Baseball." Both have great baseball-related music in addition to all of the music in the movie and documentary. Two of my favorites from "Baseball" are carly Sinmon's rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and "If You Can't Make a Hit in the Ballgame, You Can't Make a Hit With Me." Also Amazon.com has a CD "baseball's Greatest Hits" you may want to sample.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 14, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I think we were at this exact game. Not only that but I have pictures of Nick doing the signings. My son and I were down there by the dugout and my son threw down a ball and he signed it and threw it back up along with all the other stuff and I was snapping pics. That's funny.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 14, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Scooter,

Nice story about NJ and it's true these guys are flooded with requests.

I remember in '05 Jamey Carroll signing an autograph for my then 5 year old son. He high-fived him, called him buddy and asked him how he was doing, that sort of thing. He seemed to do that with a lot of the kids, especially the young ones.

Gary Majewski did the same thing for him, I believe in early '06 before he was traded.

My son to this day, loves both Jamey Carroll and Gary Majewski.

I wonder if some these guys realize what an impact they have on kids. I mean, it was about 20-30 seconds of time but, the memory will last a lifetime for my son.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 14, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

And speaking, as several of you have, of the National Anthem:

How can we get the Nationals (and other teams) to restore the traditionalpractice of playing the anthem AFTER the home team takes the field?

It is more appropriate, dignified, and respectful. And exciting -- there is something so dramatic about it, and of course as we all know, the last words of the Star-Spangled Banner are "play ball."

Currently, it is done in the middle of preparing the field, etc., people aren't paying attention, it's awful.

I had given up on this until I saw it done the old-fashioned way on Sunday up in Baltimore and it was wonderful.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 14, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JennX_ | May 14, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

@JennX_: I am with you. I despise the intrusion of God Bless America into the 7th inning stretch, and I particularly resent the instruction to remove hats.

It is not the national anthem, and my hat stays on.

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 14, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It is not the national anthem, and my hat stays on.

Posted by: Meridian1

You can count me in on this also

Posted by: CBinDC | May 14, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

i wish the nats would play carly simon's "take me out to the ballgame" during the seventh inning stretch.

Posted by: surly_w | May 14, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I wish the Nats would play "Riders on the Storm" during the Seventh Inning on a Sunday sometime, just to confuse everyone.

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

On his XM show today, Rob Dibble said that Jesus Flores is going to be reevaluated and have an MRI tomorrow, as he still can't throw. Obviously, "day-to-day" means the same thing to the "new" medical staff as it did the old medical staff. So we've been going a week or so now without a backup catcher. Dibble said we could have possibly seen Austin Kearns (!) behind the plate in an emergency.

Posted by: BGinVA | May 14, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

What's Robert Fick up to these days?

Posted by: JennX_ | May 14, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JennX_ | May 14, 2009 5:24 PM
__________________________________________________________

Wow. Put me down for the complete opposite opinion on that one.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 14, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Given that it was Fick, we're probably lucky that his uni didn't follow.

I have fond memories of seeing Nats signing for kids at RFK. Among those we frequently saw signing by the dugout were Jamey Carroll, Chad Cordero, Gary Majewski, Brad Wilkerson, and Nick. (I'm probably forgetting somebody.)

---

Posted by: Section506 | May 14, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Whoever thought that the RFK years would be fondly remembered as the good ol' days?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 14, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I like God Bless America, too, 505.

Re. backup catchers, I think that Dibble said that Willingham, Belliard, and one other guy (can't remember who) would be backups. The Kearns comment was made in jest because of his size, I think (nice target type of thing).

We haven't heard anything about Fick since he was purported to be in the running for the Italian team (huh?) in the WBC. Didn't make the final roster.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

BUT so far in the month of May:

Hitting

Saves: T8th (3)
Blown saves: T3rd (3)
Walks: 5th
Strikeouts: T26th
Wild pitches: T11th
Holds: ???

Obviously they haven't had a problem getting guys home in May. And they've done it so well that it made up for even worse pitching stats in some cases.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | May 14, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I do have fond memories from RFK. It was old and falling apart over my head as I watched games from the upper deck, but it's where I fell in love with the Nats, so there's that.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, guys, (or maybe just gals), check out the latest pic on the Baseball Insider's moment of levity...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

the nats had kind of a lovable scruffiness about them at rfk. the team was imperfect, the stadium was imperfect and there was a "we're all in this together" feeling. the new home lacks that warmth. roger angell described it best when the wrote about the opening of shea stadium in 1964 when the mets moved from the dilapidated polo grounds. angell called shea "a clean, well-lighted cellar."

Posted by: surly_w | May 14, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

No, No. No. No, I don't miss RFK. Goofy place, godawful part of town and I always felt that even in death, Bob Short was getting his cut. Of all the failings of the Lerners and Stan the Plan Man, Nationals Park is not one of them. Now, on the other hand, Clint...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 14, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I think the team should be on the field for the national anthem but don't get me started on that God Bless America 7th inning, i think it's forced and pretty much phony at every level they tried to arrest a guy at Yankee stadium who tried to go to the bathroom,in fact they did arrest him but i believe the charges were dropped like i said no disrespect but the playing of the anthem is as far as i go.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

there is a decidedly civilized and positive ambiance and feel to the postings today and lately?

it's a great group when we are minus a few of the gratuitously argumentative types, who hope to dazzle us with their criticism of other posters.

you all are fun, funny, and enthusiastic!

Posted by: nova_g_man | May 14, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

It's like the good old days on NJ.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Re Dibble, it would be very interesting to hear what he has to say about our Nats on his radio show. It's like he has this whole other baseball existence that we Nats fans (vast majority of us, anyway) know nothing about and don't really hear about.

Apparently last week he made a few enraged defenses of Manny Ramirez and players in general on the steroids issue, supposedly Dibble really lost control on the air. Don't know what he has ever had to say about the Nats though.....

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | May 14, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

You all are fun, funny, and enthusiastic!

We're just worshiping at the Altar of Tracee...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | May 14, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Tracee is a great moderating influence on us.

I've never heard Dibble's radio show, but he mentions it on the Nats games (usually mentioning the name of someone he was interviewing on it). Some of the stuff he comes up with in that regard is interesting, I think. Would be interesting to learn more about (or, actually, to hear) the ManRam discussion.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Who's going to take care of us with Tracee gone?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 14, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, leetee. :-(

In other news, I remembered the other frequent signer: #23, our own Brian Schneider. Duh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Real Baseball Intelligence (RBI), a leading resource in the evaluation of amateur baseball talent and draft coverage, has ranked Stephen Strasburg the #1 prospect in the 2009 MLB Draft. View his scouting report (with video) at www.withthefirstpick.net/stephen-strasburg

Posted by: bhyman1 | May 14, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

We're probably all relaxed because we know at the very least we're not going to be disappointed with another bullpen implosion or a DCab WP festival today.

I myself haven't called for Manny's head for at least 2 weeks. I'm not sure what that means yet.... *thinking* ....

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | May 14, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow!
What fun!
You guys and gals are terrific.
I've been gone all day and came back to this wonderful delight.

Because for the last 150 years baseball has been here for us through all the hard times, I recommend:

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 14, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

From JenX: "Meridian: That sounds good to me. Maybe we can get them to adopt that tradition and drop the awful religious sermon that is "god bless America" while they're at it!"

Though I am a deeply religious man, I embrace the secular world in public places.

That said, I was an athiest for a good part of my life, but always saw "God Bless America" as a patriotic song, not a religious one.

I'm not sure that the great majority of Americans-even in D.C.-would see the song as "awful."

That said, I'd much rather hear something from ABBA during the 7th inning. Come to think of it, maybe they should play "Dancing Queen" every time Elijah Dukes gets picked off of first base.

Posted by: rushfari | May 14, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Meridian, JennX, surly_w (and others):

I'm all in on the idea of playing the National Anthem AFTER the home team takes the field at the top of the 1st.

For 7th-inning stretch music, how about various artists' versions of "Take Me out to the Ballgame"? Carly Simon's is great, but mix in other versions so Carly's doesn't get "stale".

As suggested by 506, the thought of using "Riders on the Storm" or even the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" would be great intro music for some of our bullpen pitchers (or Cabrera as a starter).

Posted by: BinM | May 14, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL rushfari re: Dukes. Or caught stealing... or missing the catch ...

While there's lots of things I might change about baseball I don't think injecting religion into it is a good thing.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | May 14, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Rushfari, SOT:

Naw, Dukes needs to hear the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" every time he gets either picked off or caught stealing.

Posted by: BinM | May 14, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

CiL;

I listen to Dibs and Jody MacDonald almost every afternoon on MLB XM-175 "The Show".
Believe me when I say he is appropriatly critical of the Nats when he needs to be, but...., he is a big time defender of the line-up, loves Zimm, Dunn, NJ and Flores and has nothing but high praise for ZimmV2.0, Martis and Lannen. He never seems to be "put out" when talking about the Nats and the thing that I liked best was what he said on Monday afternoon.

He understood the lack of national coverage regarding "the streak" however he thought it was inexcusable about the absolute lack of coverage by the DC media.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | May 14, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be quick to condemn the Nats medical staff if Flores doesn't make it back as quickly as was originally predicted. The Red Sox the other day put Youkilis on the DL retroactive for an entire week. Somehow their ownership - ranked #1 in the recent SI poll that had the Lerners ranked fifth worst - was unable to find doctors who could accurately predict how long a player would be out after he got hurt. Are those owners cheap too?

Re God Bless America, I too think of it as a patriotic song rather than a religious song. So God is mentioned a few times at the ballpark. Big deal. You anti-God types should really be concerned about all the times you hear "God damn" at the ballpark, not the couple of times you hear "God bless". And I don't see you refusing to accept change from vendors just because the currency has "In God We Trust" written on it. Lighten up. Go to the bathroom then if you don't want to hear it. That's allowed in Nationals Park even without a lawsuit.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 14, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Tippy:

FWIW, the local press/commentators have been drawn into covering the "hot" team (the Capitals); The National press & coverage wasn't going to "jump" that particular story until RZim reached 30.

With the trimming of full-time sportswriters and sports editors across the nation, I'm suprised that it got as much coverage as it did nationally; The local (WaPo) coverage of the streak was in Chico's & Tracee's hands. Given the personal circumstances and current staffing, I think they acquitted themselves quite well.

Posted by: BinM | May 14, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I think the Phillies will be looking to sweep the Nats after being swept at home by the Manny less Dodgers it would be nice to send them back reeling up 95 North with their collective tails between their legs.

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

is anyone else bugged by the benign neglect of the nationals by comcast sports net? it's almost like the team doesn't exist because masn has their broadcast rights. the wapo live show does very little nats coverage and their highlight show always seems to features clips from the opposing team's broadcast. now that the caps are golfing and the snydermen don't go to camp until july, why not give a local team some run? and i don't mean pg united.

Posted by: surly_w | May 14, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Comcast? MASN hardly covers the Nats. Most mornings the AngelO's game is replayed. A Baltimore sports talk show airs every afternoon and most of the baseball feature shows on MASN are Bird-themed. Except for Nats games, MASN is useless.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 14, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Did i read somewhere that Manny is returning Hanrahan to the closer's role i am trying to stay away from my rant to fire Manny but this idea has got to be crazy!

Posted by: dargregmag | May 14, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

"Piazza, New York Catcher" by Belle and Sebastian.

Posted by: chipchanko | May 14, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

NATSFAN1A1 - I got several of Hungry for Music CD's.

Off of one of them is by Hyper Hanna - WHAT MAKES A LEGEND! Gee I wonder who that is about? ;<)

Uh there's one called The Legend of Eddie Clep (or something like that) off that first album 1a1 mentioned. One of the few white players in the Negro Leagues.

If you're including Heart from Damn Yankees, that whole musical is full of good ones including THINK ABOUT THE GAME AND SIX MONTHS OUT OF EVERY YEAR.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | May 14, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, I tend to think of GBA as patriotic, too. Your mileage may vary. I never really thought about the timing of the anthem, but the suggestion makes sense to me.

Thanks to Tippy for the XM report. Re. local coverage, BinM, I agree on Post coverage. I was thinking that the point related more to local tv or radio coverage, but I could be wrong.

I like the idea of sending the Phillies home with their tails between their legs, dargregmag.

I think I may have heard about the CDs from you originally, calsgr8, but I don't recall exactly.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Lovely to see everyone in a cheery mood this evening. It has been a well-deserved off day.

I noticed that no one picked-up on the Tracee's Diamondback piece from this morning. Does anyone think we should make an offer on Big John? Maybe he just needs to come home.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 14, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Also, for Tracee's musical selections - how about "Spring" by Vivaldi?

Posted by: lowcountry | May 14, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd have some trepidation about Wookie, lowcountry. Not sure whether he might not be "brokeded."

I like "Spring."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I also like double negatives.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 14, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Brokeded would be very bad indeed. But I think we are a bit desperate . . . and I do believe that if we can "just" find someone to pitch the ninth inning our bullpen gets a whole lot better.

Besides, I just miss him and the Chief.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 14, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey, speaking of reading (it's in the subject line or something), I just finished reading a book by Bruce Weber, "As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires." I'm not much of a literary critic, so I guess I'll just say this: if, when you heard of the book (or read the title when I just typed it), you thought you might enjoy it ... you were right. You will indeed enjoy it.

A few times, I think, the author goes a bit far trying to place umpiring in the Grand Sweep Of History Since The Earth Cooled, but for the most part he strikes a great tone. Also, the anecdotes are swell, and the little inside technical bits about how umpires approach and do their jobs just might give you something new to look at next time you're at the park.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 14, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't get how anyone could argue that a song that mentions god... that has god in its title... is "not religious?" And as for it being "just patriotic"... well, quite frankly, I have a bit of an issue with the forced patriotism, forced idolization of the military, forced religiosity, being interjected into every sphere of our lives-- and baseball just happens to be the place I run into it most often. We do the national anthem at the start of the games. Why isn't that enough? And yes, if I could get away without cash that mentioned god, I'd do that too. I do sometimes go to the bathroom... more often I just sit through the song and then rise with exaggerated enthusiasm for "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

Posted by: JennX_ | May 15, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

On the subject of the wookie, I miss him too, especially when he'd come into the game — the park's announcer would make the call with a full-on low "Now pitching, John ROOWWWWWWSH..." It rocked.

On the subject of GBA, I've always liked the thought from a friend of mine whenever it came on: "Why can't God bless everyone?"

Posted by: HotNats | May 15, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 15, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Well, if you really want to get everyone's blood flowing in the seventh you should play Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring". Afterall,it did prompt riots in its initial performance.

I see GBA as another "idea" from the Nats Department of Lets Copy Everything that Some Other Major League Team Started. The entertainment gurus at Nats Park are completely inept at most things they do. They seldom have an original thought and if they even successfully copy someone else's, i.e. (President's Races), they repeat it to the point of derision. Repeating GBA every seventh inning institutionalizes a song that is not deserving of such a fate. Whatever power and majesty is imbued in the memory of Kate Smith's rendition of the song from WWII gets cheapened by using it as one of the slotted entertainments at Nats Park. Why don't we just start playing it at carnivals and auto auctions as well?

Posted by: driley | May 15, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

OOOOPS.

That's Wooody not Arlo.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | May 15, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

"I believe Arlo Guthrie's response to "God Bless America" might please all here. He wrote "This Land is Your Land.""

No he didn't. His father Woody Guthrie did. Arlo Guthrie wrote "Alice's Restaurant", and also had a huge hit with "City of New Orleans", a song written by Steve Goodman who was mentioned upthread for his Cubs song.

Posted by: section417planD | May 15, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Now for a positive suggestion after my curmudgeonly rant. How about playing in the seventh inning swing dance tunes from the thirties and forties? If some spontaneous dancing breaks out, so much the better. Rotate the songs played so that the genre becomes the thing and not one song played to death. It might be the last cheery thing before the inmates are brought out of the bullpen.

Posted by: driley | May 15, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

"I see GBA as another "idea" from the Nats Department of Lets Copy Everything that Some Other Major League Team Started."

It's more likely that the Nats - and every other MLB team - are doing God Bless America every Sunday because MLB is telling them to, or at least strongly urging them to. Why? Rudy Guiliani has the answer, with one of the three words that made up every sentence he uttered during his presidential campaign. It's not the noun. It's not the verb. It's 9/11.

Don't blame the Nationals - who came to this town owned by MLB, after all - for doing things that MLB tells all teams to do. If you really think it's wrong that they're doing a song that mentions God, don't complain to them, complain to Bud Selig.

Posted by: section417planD | May 15, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I just read Sheinin's story about the paucity of paying patrons at Nats Park. While I follow the team and love the new stadium, the auditory overload can be a bit much at times. When the PA announcer isn't stretching out "Guuuuuuuuuuuuuzman," or the scoreboards aren't telling fans to "Make Some Noise," or Clint and the NatPack aren't cavorting between innings there just isn't enough focus on THE GAME at times. Sports venues today cater to the short attention span patron and feel thee has to be some sort of continuous stimulation. Sometimes the decibel level is so loud that you can't converse with someone sitting next to you between pitches or between innings. That's one reason that I don't go to Fed Up Field or The Phone Booth because I used to leave with headaches. I can do without most of the extremely loud bells and whistles. Maybe I'm old but the game itself is the hook that gets me into Nats Park.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 15, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me that they have cut back a bit on the auditory overload at the ballpark this year - although maybe that's just because crowds are less than they used to be. I was actually able to make a cell phone call and hear myself and the other person talk while on the concourse before a game this year. Last year that was an impossible task.

Posted by: section417planD | May 15, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Not to prolong the back-and-forth, but clearly there are different points of view on GBA. IMO, a prolonged debate isn't going to change anybody's opinion either way, nor should it. To each his or her own. I respect the right of each of you to form and maintain your own opinion(s).

I hope that we can all (most?) agree that we love our Nats. That's something that unites us.

I liked the Nationals Swing number of a few years back, driley, but it seems to have vanished into the Natosphere.

I'm with you on cranking down the volume, leetee. I still had trouble making a cell phone call on the concourse before a game this year, s. 417, but maybe your hearing is better than mine.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

The biggest problem I see with the sound is that it is so inconsistent. There are times that they are showing interesting stuff on the big screen and you can't hear the accompanying audio. Then there are other times they are blasting drivel and you can't hear yourself think.

Also, on attendance: if you think back to the weather we had for some of the early home stands it was atrocious. It is no wonder no one was there. They shouldn't have even tried to play the games.

Posted by: twinbrook | May 15, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

@Twinbrook

Some of the blame has to go to the unbalanced schedule, where non-NL East teams like Houston and St. Louis make only one trip to Nats Park each season. Mutual make-up dates aren't always available which is why the Nats will be the "home" team at Minute Maid Park for the resumption of the suspended game. I once asked Stan the Plan Man when he used to reach out and touch the people during games about going back to a balanced schedule where each team visits each park twice a season and he said it costs too much in travel and teams don't want to lose lucrative dates against divisional rivals. That said since the Braves visit three times annually why wasn't the rain-delayed game against Atlanta postponed? There weren't enough people at Nats Park that night to warrant turning on the lights for nine innings. The Nats could have given everyone a free ticket to another game for braving the elements.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 15, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Good point about the inconsistency with sound, twinbrook. Also, you can hear Charlie and Dave loud and clear in the bathrooms, so there's that.

Re. attendance, there were also some matches that went up against Caps playoff games.

Last but not least, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Edit:

SNARK ON. Also, you can hear Charlie and Dave loud and clear in the bathrooms, so there's that. SNARK OFF. SNARK ON. SNARK OFF. THE SNARKER.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | May 14, 2009 8:12 PM

#####

The only good way to inject religion into baseball is in the film "Bull Durham", when Annie Savoy (Sarandon's character) says "I worship at the Church of Baseball."

And re: Rauch -- I saw him pitch in Phoenix last weekend against the Nats. The man's pitching arm definitely looks brokeded.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I second that, lowcountry.

---

Besides, I just miss him and the Chief.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 14, 2009 10:55 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

OK it seems like we have different points of view on GBA (just to clarify, my problem isn't so much the religious aspect as the injection of flag-waving into the 7th inning stretch, which should be all about baseball and fun).

But it seems we all agree on restoring the dignity of playing the Star-Spangled Banner with the home team on the field, just before the game.

How do we make it happen? It's clearly permitted by MLB, as they do it in Baltimore.

Petition?

Posted by: Meridian1 | May 15, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"And as for it being "just patriotic"... well, quite frankly, I have a bit of an issue with the forced patriotism, forced idolization of the military..."

______________________________________________________________

JennX,

You are entitled to your opinion and the free speech to which you can express that opinion with. You can Thank a member of the military for that the next time you see one.

MLB started doing GBA on Sunday's after 9/11. I don't know about you, but I will never forget that day and how I felt.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what would be the best way to proceed on that but maybe others will.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

maybe others will have an idea...

and maybe I will have another cup of coffee...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 15, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I'd have to agree with the people who're saying that playing GBA in the seventh inning stretch feels forced, fake and jingoistic rather than genuinely patriotic.

By the way, Section505203, since you've played the "thank a member of the military" card (but I don't see the relevance to this debate) I'll start by mentioning that I'm someone who used to get a paycheck from the USMC. I also remember 9/11 and how, at my house, I could smell the Pentagon burning for three days afterward. I will never forget that day and how I felt either. But in my opinion that day has (or should have) nothing to do with what music is played at a baseball game.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Greggwiggins,

Let me start by saying Thank you for serving. You are entitled to you opinion as well, I mean, heck you earned it.

I never served but, I do understand the sacrifices made by those that do.

I just don't understand why for what, 1-2 minutes, one can't be Patriotic for the Country they live in. And if you can't, go get a beer or go to the bathroom for crying out loud.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Section505203, Thanks for your kind thoughts.

But I just don't understand "why for what, 1-2 minutes" MLB tries to force people to be patriotic. If it's not a genuine and voluntary reaction it's meaningless.

The use of the song in 2001 for the remainder of September and that year's postseason is another matter. But starting with the decision to continue playing GBA in the 2002 season it has always struck me as being an artificial and even cynical gesture on the part of Major League Baseball.

Just like how MLB tried to order every team to put a U.S. flag on every player jersey, even Toronto's. (I don't know but I suspect that big Maple Leaf sleeve patch the team now wears was a response to Selig's directive.) You can imagine the (I would call it justified) reaction of the Canadian public and media to a requirement that a Canadian team must wear a foreign country's flag.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Well said in all respects, greggwiggins! My late father served in the USMC, as have several other family members. I think it's sort of telling that those who are often ordering us to "thank a military member for our rights to free speech" never served themselves. I appreciate the sacrifices that have been made. But our founding fathers and many others appreciated that true patriotism involves a healthy dose of questioning authority, not just waving the flag for "patriotism" while simultaneously voting for leaders who take away our most basic constitutional freedoms. Just sayin'...

Anyway. Play ball!

Posted by: JennX_ | May 15, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't sound like you served either. I have plenty of family members that served, JennX. What's your point?

My Grandfather was in WWII and would rollover in his grave if I said what you said.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one. Like I said, if the song bothers you, take that 1-2 minutes to use the bathroom.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 15, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Gregwiggins,

I agree with you on the flag on the uniform issue, it should have been left up to each team, IMO.

On GBA, we will have to agree to disagree.

Once again, Thanks putting yourself in harms way so, that we may have this dicussion.

Posted by: Section505203 | May 15, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

maybe we could split the difference and play "Did you see Jackie Robinson hit that ball?!" in the 7th. They also serve, who rode busses and sat at lunch counters.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NOW WITH STRASBURG AS CLOSER! If the Nationals converted just seven of those 10 blown saves (a reasonable rate) their record would be 18-14 rather than 11-21. Projected to 162 games, 18-14 would be 91 wins. In short, the Nationals need only a reliable closer to be a contender for the playoffs. How about drafting Strasburg and immediately putting him into that role? He could succeed with just a fastball and control, which already are his best assets. He would not be overworked, because save opportunities arise only in half or fewer games. After this season is over, he could be evaluated and his best long-term role identified.

Posted by: ZUGAY1 | May 15, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZUGAY1 | May 15, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

asked and answered, Zugay. see any of several threads, about two weeks ago.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | May 15, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse