Tonight's Lineups

Willingham - 7
Harris - 8
Bard - 2
Hernandez - 4
Stammen - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  May 21, 2009; 4:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Minor League Report
Next: No Yelling And Screaming, But --

Comments

You know, I'm excited to see Stammen pitch tonight. I don't expect him to be great -- I don't even expect him to be good -- but I like watching the new kid. Had fun with Detwiler the other day too.

Posted by: Scooter_ | May 21, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow - I see the Pie-rats are going with that rare "four outfielders, no shortstop" defense.

I guess they figure to have a lot of flyballs, eh?

(Got Wilson as an 8, not a 6, Cheeks! =) )

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | May 21, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Joe Maddon and Cecil Cooper should post their lineups here for proof-reading before submitting them to the umps; could save them some embarrassment.

Posted by: joebleux | May 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Wilson's been watching films of Belliard. Sort of a softball defense, with a short center and deep center?

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Does it even matter anymore? Here's the gamer for tomorrow. Stammen had a decent start going 5 innings and giving up 4 runs. The offense put 6 on the Board and were ahead in 8th inning. Fungible Bullpen Arm #3 was brought into the game to hold the lead. FBA#3 threw a can of gas on whatever fire was brewing, coughed up three runs, and the Nats lost the game making it 9 in a row and back-to-back sweeps at home. Take the night off Chico -your work is done. (sorry just so surly about this team right now)

Posted by: mastroj | May 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Scooter. I watched both games for that reason (otherwise, I might have been tempted to take a break given the recent trajectory of games after our 'pen takes over). It matters, mastro, because somebody's getting their first taste of the majors. That's pretty cool.

Good one, joebleux.

Pie-rats is another new term for me today. I'm 2-0 with new terms. Yay.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 21, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"FBA#3 threw a can of gas on whatever fire was brewing, coughed up three runs, and the Nats lost the game making it 9 in a row and back-to-back sweeps at home."

Hard as they may try to, I don't think even the Nats could lose two games in one night when only one game is scheduled. They've only (only?!?!) lost seven in a row. If they lose tonight it will be eight, not nine.

Posted by: nunof1 | May 21, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Go Nats. Let's snap this thing.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 21, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

They are going to win tonight! Think positive. Good luck to Stammen. Who knows, he might be good.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | May 21, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mastroj | May 21, 2009 4:52 PM

this is so dead on (except it being 8 in a row). it's really uncanny how often this has been the story. we give up 3-5 early and another 3-5 late, score most of ours in the 3/4th through 8th. i'd love to see some stats on this.

Posted by: DCguy7 | May 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

In fact, Acta truly is working on saving his job. Can't see how this debacle could last much longer. I am sure mgmt. (Rizzo, and especially Kasten) are politely reminding the owners that this is partly their own responsibility. This is what can happen when you are a tight wad baseball owner. The fact that the worst, as opposed to something closer to mediocre falls on Acta though.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Now you've got Stammen and Bergmann who have been working together quite a bit in Syracuse. Clippard and McDougal could be next as potential closers.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OT: MASN Promos

Am I the only one who doesn't like the MASN promos? According to MASN I am (OK they said they received one other complaint). Meanwhile, they say they have gotten a TON of positive feedback on them. I'm having trouble believing that.

If I'm all alone on this one, so be it, but if you dislike them as much as I do, please email Dick Goggin, MASN's creative director, to let him know what the fans really think. His email is dgoggin@masnsports.com

Posted by: ViennaVA2 | May 21, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Eh, I don't really care about the MASN promos. They're not for me, I'm going to watch the game every chance I get. Which is why I wonder why they show them every commercial break during the game. Presumably, those aren't the people they're trying to get to watch the game, right?

It's kind of like my feelings on mascots, Clint, and Teddy: they're not there for me. I want to watch the game, heartache and all. Who really cares whether Screech is dirty or Teddy always loses?

Posted by: Section506 | May 21, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Every time I see two or three MASN promos during a break I'm reminded how little ad time they must be selling with their depressing ratings.

Posted by: Section220 | May 21, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

506

Marketing to people who already buy your product is a classic sign of headless chicken front offices.

Incidentally, it also indicates that you can't give away advertising time on MASN.

Posted by: soundbloke | May 21, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Nats go for Peavy if it falls through with the white sox. Prove you want to bring a winner to washington.

Posted by: periculum | May 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

They should be able to get to Snell. Willingham might have a big night. I'd love to see a 9 - 2 game going into the 7th, Hanrahan come in and just throw hte ball to his ability (the good part of his ability) and the game end meekly win a curly Dubya. AND I want that big Powerball Jackpot -- which am I more liekly to see?

Go Nats!!

Posted by: dfh21 | May 21, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

!!!STAN OG

(just mixing it up a little bit)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

A re-post from the last piece on our minors.....just had to share the good news!

hey gang...speaking of the minors, anyone see the quick bits from Rosenthal on Fox?
"....The Nationals might be years away from a full recovery. One scout describes their Harrisburg affiliate as the "worst Double A team maybe in the history of baseball."
Harrisburg, 8-27, is playing Freddy Bynum, 29, at shortstop. Joel Guzman, 24, is the corner-utility man. The team includes only three members of the Nationals' 40-man roster.

Wait, there's more!
"....More Nats: Before outfielder Lastings Milledge underwent surgery to repair a broken right ring finger, one scout said he was "getting worse in every aspect of the game. He can't hit now. I feel sorry for him. He looks so confused.

"His approach is so bad. He's getting beat on fastballs he used to hit very well. An 88 mph fastball down the middle, he hits a groundball down the first-base line. And he pirouettes in the outfield on every ball."

Ah, yes, the joys of Nots town!Meanwhile, some little leaguers are playing on the field behind my house here on the Hill. Think I'll go over and watch some b.ball where, if errors DO occur....

Posted by: zendo | May 21, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

DEAR LORD!!!!

NATS IS STAN SPELLED BACKWARDS!!!

Posted by: Section506 | May 21, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Let's just hope Bard/Stammen don't fall in love with a pitch the way Nieves/Hanrahan did last night with the slider. Mix it up guys: 4-seam, off-speed, 2-seam.

I'd be overjoyed to see 6IP+ out of Stammen in his debut, but would be satisfied with a 5IP/3ER/5H/2BB outing. Those numbers would say he's worth a sustained look.

Posted by: BinM | May 21, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

BinM, I think you are pulling those numbers for a satisfactory outing out of thin air.

I have no complaints with them.

Posted by: Section506 | May 21, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

506:

In part yes, but they're a rough translation of his #'s in SYR so far this year.

Posted by: BinM | May 21, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse