Tonight's Lineups

Right now, one hour before the first pitch, the Citi Field's infield is covered by a tarp. Skies have been overcast all afternoon, and both teams took BP inside today. But so far, we've seen nothing more than some raindrops. That said, the chance for rain increases as the night goes on.

Also, the Mets made a flurry of roster moves today, which explains a little about their present lineup.

Washington

Tatis - 3
Martinez - 9
Santos - 2
Martinez - 6
Hernandez - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  May 26, 2009; 6:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading
Next: Notes On Kearns, MacDougal And Others

Comments

If they get it in, I think the line up bodes well for a Nats victory. Call me optomistic, I don't care.

Posted by: cokedispatch | May 26, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

That's a Mets lineup that hardly strikes fear. Seriously. Even with Stam pitching we should be good to go.

Posted by: dovelevine | May 26, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

No Beltran, Reyes or Delgado in the lineup? Dead-bolt lock that the game gets cancelled.

So glad not to see Kearns in there, he's just not going to get it together and the club needs to consider waiving him when Dukes comes back. 19 HR's over his last 1,100 plate apps? No trade market for the guy even if they did eat his contract.

Posted by: dfh21 | May 26, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Why, oh why is Bard getting so many starts? Wil can't start two games in a row?!?

Posted by: Section138 | May 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the boo-birds in NYC could have something to get cranky about tonight. The middle of the Mets' lineup is still decent with Castillo/ Wright/ Sheffield/ Tatis, but there are a some "wild-cards" in play (Pagan, Santos, Martinez x 2) as well behind Livan.
Could be an interesting night if they can get it in.

Posted by: BinM | May 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Now that I think about it, Bard did catch Stammen quite a bit in Syracuse.
That probably answers my question.

Posted by: Section138 | May 26, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

138:

Until Flores comes back, it's as much a question of comfort-level between the SP/C as anything else. IIRC, Bard caught Stammen his 1st time out & called a decent game.

Posted by: BinM | May 26, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I know fans are allowed to dream but I don't think it's realistic to think Peavy would accept a trade to the Nats.

Do I think this will happen? No. I suspect the best Rizzo can do is to try to find someone willing to take Johnson and maybe Kearns (if we eat some salary).

I'd like to see the team at least think about moving Dukes and I'd suggest they should find out what Dunn might bring at the trade deadline too. (Again, I doubt that's realistic.) I don't think we're likely to see too many "major" moves though.

Posted by: grforbes | May 26, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Flores started his rehab assignment last night with HAR - 2 for 3, no RS or RBI in a 3-2 loss to Bowie. He could be back with the big club by the end of the week.

Posted by: BinM | May 26, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Bard is starting to showcase any trade value before Flores comes back, because once Flores is back Bard gets traded or DFA'd.

Posted by: wrw0601 | May 26, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

"The best we could hope for is to try to act as a broker for a trade between the Padres and Cubs. I think we could offer the Pads a 5 or 6 player deal and maybe get both Peavy and Gonzalez. Then we could flip Peavy and get some arms from the Cubs in return."

Omar Minaya is not San Diego's GM and we don't have Colon to send them....

Posted by: goexpos2 | May 26, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

What about McDougal? He exercised an out? What do the Nats plan to do?

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Mr. grforbes,

Trading Dunn would make absolutely no sense both from a box office / attendance perspective. I think that would be ASKING FOR TROUBLE as in a true franchise extinction event or FEE! Certainly there would be a FEE!!

Can you say Rodriguez, Brinkman, and Coleman for Denny McDick? In 1971 we paid a very high FEE!

Keep Johnson, Zimmerman, Dunn in the middle intact. Trade others.

Posted by: periculum | May 26, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

grforbes:

You guys were talking some CRAZY trades earlier today - First of all, I believe that WSH is on Peavy's "no-trade" list, along with nearly all of the AL teams (ANA & OAK might be the exceptions). His other exceptions are possibly LAD, SF, CHC, maybe AZ or COL.
Face it, Peavy (even in a "flip-em" deal) isn't coming anywhere near this roster, imo.

In terms of what the Nationals have as currently marketable trading assets - Dunn, Guzman, NJohnson, Harris, Flores, Lannan, JZimm, Martis, and maybe Dukes or Beimel.
I don't think anyone on NJ (or in the Nats' FO) wants to give up on any of the young SP's (Lannan /JZimm /Martis), so they're off the board. Dunn is the lynchpin to the offense, so let's pull him off as well. That leaves 5-6 players that might be favorably marketed to other teams (Guzman, NJohnson, Harris, Flores, Dukes & Beimel).

Who is tradable (fits a need elsewhere), and returns reasonable (not necessarily equivalent) value?

Posted by: BinM | May 26, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Periculum:

The Nats might be on Peavy's no trade but he's specificially said he would go to the Cubs. I cannot believe he would block a three way trade that gets him to Chicago. Why would he, if he wants to play for the Cubs?

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. That's what I meant: a three way trade, where we send prospects to the Padres, acquire Peavy, and then flip him to the Cubs for some of their young pitchers.

Billy Beane makes 3-way trades quite often, I don't think it's out of the range of possibity that Rizzo might make a similar type of deal.

Posted by: grforbes | May 26, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse