A Minor Trade, And Why it Matters

On the surface, the trade the Washington Nationals pulled off late Tuesday night -- they dealt left-handed pitcher Mike O'Connor to the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later -- had few implications. O'Connor was in the starting rotation with Class AAA Syracuse. He had a 5.45 ERA. He hadn't appeared in the big leagues since May 2008, and his odds of reappearing any time soon were Powerball-small.

But despite all that, the O'Connor deal connects with something relevant to Washington's plans. Right now, the Nationals have four rookies in their starting rotation. Three of them -- Jordan Zimmermann, Ross Detwiler and Shairon Martis -- figure to remain there for the bulk of the season.

That said, there's a good chance none of the three will be available by September. By then, each will have reached his season limit for innings -- likely somewhere between 140 and 170. The Nationals, then, are already plotting a B-list rotation for the final month. That replacement unit, right now, is taking root in Syracuse, where rotation spots have suddenly become quite important.

"We needed roster space," acting general manager Mike Rizzo said, explaining the O'Connor trade.

Already, three members of the Syracuse pitching staff -- Garrett Mock, Collin Balester and Marco Estrada -- are on the 40-man roster. Ask Rizzo about Washington's September rotation, and he mentions each of those names. He also mentions Matt Chico, rehabbing from reconstructive elbow surgery, who will eventually join the Chiefs' rotation. (With O'Connor gone, Syracuse now has room for Chico.)

"Yeah, those are guys, they'll be a part of the [big league] rotation sometime during the season," Rizzo said. "As you know, we've got young starters that we're going to protect."

Rizzo said that the innings ceilings "are different from each guy," and will depend on prior workloads. Martis has never topped 151 innings in a season. Zimmermann has never topped 134. Detwiler has never topped 124.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 17, 2009; 6:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: Nats 3, Yankees 2

Comments

Wouldn't a better way to limit innings pitched just be to pull starters when they hit 100 pitches?
Oh, wait ...
And don't those guys at Syracuse have innings limits too? They'll be at the same point in the season by the time September rolls around, so are we to assume that it's cool if Balester or Estrada get up to 180 innings or so, and not the other guys? Where does it end?
Seriously, though, as much as the FO is right in wanting to "protect" arms, the whole idea of limiting innings just chaps my behind, mostly because it only seems to apply to starters. No one cares if bullpens are overtaxed, guys are pitching three or four straight days, 80 to 90 appearances in a season. As we've seen, the guys throwing at the end of the game can make as much difference in the outcome as the guys who start.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | June 17, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

They need to try and turn Bergmann back into a starter. Estrada? Mock? At least, JD Martin is doing well in AAA.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: truke | June 17, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

This sounds like a decent trade. Hopefully they'll get some offense back in return with their pitching heavy draft.

As far as the inning thing goes, I think that the innings at the major league are more stressful than AAA innings. Also guys like Balester are older. Balester pitched into September last year so it's okay to expect him to pitch this year.

Zimmermann and Detweiler especially should be watched carefully due to their youth and potential. I don't have a problem with limiting their inning although I'd prefer they look at it as more a place to watch them closely once they get past a certain number of innings rather than shutting them down.

Did they end up limiting Lannan's innings like this last year? If so, it's good to see him reproducing his performance from last year so far.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"Okay, I'm resigning myself to suffering through another full year with Manny but what baseball god did I offend to be faced with the return of Matt Chico..."

I really don't know why you've got a problem with Chico. He had a year where he overachieved {perhaps he pitched too many innings!} and then broke down and struggled with control issues.

We want guys like Chico to develop into the middle relievers and tradable assets of tomorrow. He seems like a solid guy. No, he's not more than a 4th or 5th starter on a good team but we need more assets and I hope he gets a shot later in the year.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

That rare albatross...a Nationals stolen base. Corey Patterson scares me as an Orioles/Cubs/Reds reject probably but as bad as he is he's still better than Kearns.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

They saved some innings with Mock by having him pitch out of the pen for the first few weeks of the year. He should be able to start in September.

Posted by: iishoagie07 | June 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow... that just about closes out the Bryce Harper sweepstakes doesn't it? Even with a moderate return to the median by the Nats sporting the young guys rotation, a "B" list rotation all but promises a miserable finish.

I've heard this mentioned before with the young guns having IP limits. I guess I chose to forget.

It really is the shiny wrapper on the turd sandwich that this season has turned out to be. Ugh.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

souldrummer, he's a triple A talent at best. Has Jamie Moyer stuff at half Jamie's age. My buddy and I call it the Charles Jones syndrome. Hard worker, gets the most out of what he has, but if he's on your roster, you know you need more talent.

Posted by: truke | June 17, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we're being shut out by a guy with a 14-something ERA.

Posted by: truke | June 17, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming the player to be named later will be Adrian Gonzalez? Or is that a little too optimistic?

Posted by: baltova1 | June 17, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this is Rizzo's spring training warm-up for his trading mode. I'm sure we can expect some dealing throughout the summer.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"souldrummer, he's a triple A talent at best. Has Jamie Moyer stuff at half Jamie's age. My buddy and I call it the Charles Jones syndrome. Hard worker, gets the most out of what he has, but if he's on your roster, you know you need more talent"

Agreed, I tend to agree with the scouts that Martis is doing it with smoke and mirrors as well. Stammen, Martis, and Chico are guys that I want to do well so that they become assets until our real pitching prospects [Detweiler, Zimmermann, Strausberg, Lannan + 1 maybe Balester?] with stuff show that they can pitch well.

I just want guys like Martis and Chico to eat up innings until they settle into serviceable relievers and trade bait. Chico won't be an asset until he shows he can contribute at the major league level again.

The guys that drive me crazy are the Sean Hill's and John Patterson's who have great stuff and constantly break your heart with injuries.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

any confirmation that shawn hill is the ptbnl?

Posted by: surly_w | June 17, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Take that Yanks. It will take more than Wang to no-hit us! It's like Manny brought out his all defensive team tonight as a mission of mercy to give guys like Patterson and a slumping Harris the easiest guys that they can see during the series.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hah, I like yours better than mine, surly_w!

Posted by: baltova1 | June 17, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

souldrummer

I'm sure we will be back to the big swinging, big dropping line up soon enough. sigh.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 17, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

That's how you tee off on the Wanger!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I was thinking Jake Peavy's been saying no to all of these teams just because he wants to wield his amazing influence on the Obama stimulus package.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, yet another example of how we are the stupidest team in baseball. Count is 2-0, our best basestealer is on his way, and no one gives Bard the take sign. Amazing, just amazing.

Posted by: truke | June 17, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Good point. Truke.

Got a resume? I hear the Lerners are looking for an affordable option.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure we deserve John Lannan, but thank God he's here. I'll be there will be pitchers on the All-Star team whose stats won't be as good as his, but because of his W-L record, nobody knows or respects him.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 17, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, baltova. But I bet a lot of NL managers have respect for Lannan.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Needed a little more JUICE on that one A-Rod ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Was that Dukes playing CF on Nick's triple ?

Posted by: JT2009 | June 17, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm checking out the live chat on Newsday's site. It's pretty good (they have a reporter contributing and fan comments). Some of the fans are a little surprised their heroes are having so much trouble with a no-name pitcher from the Nats.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"love the agressiveness, but he really wasn't all that close to it." -yankees announcer about cabrera's dive.

sounds familiar.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 17, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

No-name?

I thought everybody's heard of Lannan after that "flat-out outpitched me" MASN commercial gem?

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave think that Cano homer was a New Yankee Stadium special. At least it was a solo shot.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Guz, just think, every play you make gets you closer to that great big playoff race in the sky, aka Nats Heaven for all our vets.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Cano crushed the ball... thats a homer anywhere from what I could tell.

The team is playing how I envisioned they would all season. Defense has been nifty, hitting the ball well, and Lannan is a bonafide ace. I don't give a crap about K/BB ratio, if your ERA is below 3.50 you are a stud in my book.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | June 17, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Keep battling John.

Let's get some hits

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

"I don't give a crap about K/BB ratio, if your ERA is below 3.50 you are a stud in my book."

With this team's godawful defense, an ERA under 4.00 is studly. Lannan keeps the guys on his toes and it's really impressive that Martis and Lannan have both put forth solid efforts against this bashers' lineup.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Carpy gushes the praises of Teixeira, in response to Tex's missing a double play.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | June 17, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Screw Bryce Harper, let's start the Danny Hultzen countdown. That kid can play. 6 IP, 0 R, 4 H on 3 days rest in the college world series. And an RBI double to help his cause.

Just kidding about Harper, of course

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Lannon into the 7th and no bullpen yet. SWEEEEET!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Ooops speeling error "Lannan"

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

The trade of O'Connor will probably yield an A-level player from the Padres.

Harlan hints at IP/pitches thrown "caps" for the Nationals starters - Interesting that he doesn't mention Stammen, but I will. Martis might "cap-out" at 175-180IP, JZimm at 154IP, and Detwiler at 135-140IP, and Stammen at 165IP (he threw 150+IP in 2008); He also doesn't mention that Olsen is due back in the next week or two.
With 20 possible starts left for each starter (at 6IP/start), Martis would be done in mid-September (start #30), JZimm in late August (start #26), Detwiler in mid-August (start #23), and Stammen in mid-August (start #21). Lannan & Olsen should be good for the remainder of the year.
If Stammen moves to the bullpen when Olsen comes back, he could be extended into September; If the team shuts down Detwiler & JZimm on-schedule, Balester, Casto, & Mock should all be available from the 25/40-man roster to-date for late season call-ups before the rosters expand.

Posted by: BinM | June 17, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Lannan 7IP 91 pitches. Does he come out for the 8th? Guesses? I say yes.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

RicketyCricket--
Did you watch last night's game?
Heck yeah Lannan comes out for the 8th. It's an American League park. I'd have Beimel plus MacDougal ready.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I say he should, but he won't. Manny wants him to leave on a good note.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 17, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Been following on gameday. Have to be up at 4:00 most mornings so I don't get to see much live late innings.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

He should be back for the 8th. Manny can't be that.... Nevermind.

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Freaking MLB. Just upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 and MLB at bat 1.2 to get live video feeds. Tonight is NYY vs. WAS. Guess what? Stupid f'ing blackout restrictions. No Nats. Ever! What a kick in the Ching Mien Wang.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Bullpen? We ain't got no bullpen... We ain't got to show you no stinkin' bullpen!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

For love of god, please lock the bullpen gate. Lannan is cruising let him finish!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Lannan deserves to get the CG, even if he lets the tying runs on base.
C'mon Nats, pick up another run or two in the ninth.

Posted by: patchss | June 17, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Holliday to DL, won't face Nats this weekend

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Halladay?

Posted by: amorris525 | June 17, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Spalling problams

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

lol, no problem, good, maybe we can win one vs. them. Come on nats, 3 more outs here!

Posted by: amorris525 | June 17, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@RicketyCricket: Yours is similar to the sad tale of living in NC - MLB.TV blackouts + no MASN available = no live Nats. Some nights, I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 17, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Dammit!!! the wind-tunnel strikes again.

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Damon solo shot makes it 3-2, but then Swisher flies out.

Okay, I'll now pay attention to the game.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | June 17, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Say some prayers.

Posted by: patchss | June 17, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Game over.

Posted by: sbiel2 | June 17, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Awesome performance by Lannan. I would have let him try to finish. I hope I am wrong on this...

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

That was a New Yankee Stadium special for sure with Damon. What a shame. If that's an out, we don't have to bring in our bullpen and you don't get a run. That's like the equivalent of 1.5 run homerun with our wack bullpen.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

sbiel2, you're missing the point.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

JD Martin might be the best pitcher they have in Syracuse right now. Yeah Natsguy he had Tommy Johns' But he's the same age as Chico who just had Tommy Johns. WTF?

Posted by: periculum | June 17, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

DP you juiced up prick

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

"I was redeemed through pain, not through joy."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Grrrrrr

Posted by: BGinVA | June 17, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Bard.

What else can one say? He seems to admire Gardner's base-stealing prowess.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | June 17, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Runners on 1st and 3rd. Game over Yankees win.

Posted by: periculum | June 17, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Probably. But what's the point?

Posted by: sbiel2 | June 17, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I cannot watch these games without adult beverages. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

see my following post

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Bryce Harper would have thrown Gardner out at 1st, 2nd or 3rd

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Hello woodchuck-chuckers it's Groundhog Day!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

someone's watching without adult beverages?

Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice battle

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Can't say this ain't exciting... adult beverages indeed!

Posted by: HotNats | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Hell yeah! Congrats Lannan!

Posted by: amorris525 | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap!!!!!!!!

Posted by: combedge | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

You were saying ??

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BGinVA | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

HELL-EFFING-YESSSS!

Posted by: HotNats | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Woooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

YEAH!!!!

Posted by: patchss | June 17, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Holy moley. MacDougal gets a double play--which the Nats actually turn.

So Johnny Rocket actually gets his W against the Yankees. I will now go refill my adult beverage to settle down my palpitating heart.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | June 17, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Guess the Yanks just committed the inexcusable...

Posted by: combedge | June 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Yahoo! Congrats Lannan! Tough guy to double-up, and the persistence comes through!

Take that Yanks fans. Think they'll remember Lannan's name now?

Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe what I just saw!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Best win since opening day 08. Not saying too much, but I'll take it.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Way to go! Showed a little toughness. The bourbon and Maalox is on me tonight, gents! Everybody drive home safely. YAYYYYYY!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Great to see Lannan's outstandingness in front of his folks, beautiful game by him, muchprops!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 17, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

thank you Gawd thank you Gawd thank you Gawd....

:-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 17, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Macdougal comes through in the clutch. Lannan deserved thae win. Too bad Martis didn't fare as well last night. The young starters are providing some hope.

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

MASN is already writing the script for next year's Defining Moment commercial on this one.

MacDougal, you too may get to go to that great pennant race in the sky with a performance like this.

Attaboy!

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Everyone gets buzzed (cut)!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Lannan is f-ing stud. What a performance. Great game.

Excuse me as I fix myself a cold beverage to celebrate.

Posted by: FloresFan | June 17, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else go to the Buzz-a-thon in Gaithersburg for Johnny Holliday's grandson tonight? It was great to see a decent crowd there, and Screech even made an appearance.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 17, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Suck on it and like it, Steinbrenners.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 17, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely inexcusable!

Bang! Zoom!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 17, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else feeling relief that the bullpen only needed to collect 2 outs tonight?

Posted by: mo_dc | June 17, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Charlie said the Yankees fans didn't give Nick much of an ovation on his return to (a) Yankee Stadium yesterday, so Yanks fans: suck on that and like it. Go Nicky!

Posted by: joebleux | June 17, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

This is why baseball is always a love/hate relationship. I KNEW the Nats would lose in the 9th. What prayer did they have with a hot hitter in Cano up and fouling off all those pitches. NONE! Yet, Yet, Yet....YES!
Let Go, Nats!!!

Posted by: nats24 | June 17, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Lannan and Martis are the aces of this staff no doubt.

Posted by: periculum | June 17, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Hell yes, mo_dc!!! more starter and less bullpen is always a good thing. Also I thought Corey Patterson did a reasonable impersonation of a major league CF. Can we leave him there, please.

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

NATS WIN!!!! NATS WIN!!!!! VICTORY!!!!!!!!!! F YA!!!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!!!!!! NATS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BigCarter28 | June 17, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

First Washington win @ Yankees since Sept. 1, 1971

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"Corey Patterson did a reasonable impersonation of a major league CF. Can we leave him there, please."

Not a believer in Patterson. He got on base on a wild pitch and a seeing eye hit on Wang. It's kind of weird though that we put this stellar defensive outfield out for Lannan and he gets a bunch of ground balls. Did Patterson even have a defensive chance in center?

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, happiness springs from everywhere. Put a curly-W in the books; sweet!

Great game from Lannan, with a bit dicey (but a real) close from MacDougal. No errors, happy-happy, joy-joy.

Posted by: BinM | June 17, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh Ray, Ray, Ray... His name's Jorge, not Jose Posada. You rock.

Posted by: HotNats | June 17, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@sould: I probably dislike Patterson as much as you as an overall player, but if the team wins with him in CF - Leave him there, just drop him to 8th-9th in the lineup, because he can't hit his weight in the majors.

Posted by: BinM | June 17, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

SD, I am not at all trying to say that corey patterson is going to play cf like torri Hunter. Just that he is adequate, unlike a lot of the outfield play that we have been forced to watch this year. personally, I would make a run at Jim Edmonds or Kenny lofton and at least fix the CF problem for this year.

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Lotta back-pressure in here tonight ...
feels good.

I'm just sayin.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

This is sweet. Can't wait to read Ken Davidoff's next column.

Posted by: misplacednortherner | June 17, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Just a note to some of you who think Martis is doing it with smoke and mirrors if this kid was with a real ballclub(Phils,Mets,Dodgers,Yankees) he'd easily be a fifteen game winner.Sharon Martis is a pitcher may not be a Halladay or a Cliff Lee but i'd take him on my roation any day.The Nationals wouldn't know talent if they were hit over the head with a Louisville slugger, Martis should be at least 7-1 maybe 8-1 if the manager quit sabotaging his efforts the kid might turn out to be a real pitcher. Great game by Lannan and Macdougal refused to give in to Cano,this should have been their second win of this series.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 17, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable, an actual Nats save. Great Game.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 17, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

you either got to go with willie harris, corey patterson, or Maxwell...pick ur poison. Corey Patterson has actually had a couple of productive seasons in the bigs...and hes only 29, oh who am I kidding hes a complete scrub. We really just need to trade for some cf help.

And Elijah dukes is below servicable in center, hes proven this on multiple occasions.

Posted by: BigCarter28 | June 17, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@Binm @Chris88
Is Patterson really that much better defensively than Willie Harris? Looking for info here.

Also, does anyone have any solution on how to see whether Alberto Gonzalez is worthy of everyday at bats? He's been doing everything that's asked of him and Anderson Hernandez's bonehead plays are wearing on me.

DFA Belliard!

Posted by: souldrummer | June 17, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Regarding CF, all I know is Manny hopefully learned Dukes should never be in CF again.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 17, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Darg, I absolutely agree on Martis, He gutted it out with less than his best stuff and produced a quality start in a wind tunnel bandbox. Major props due.

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

JT- Manny is the slowest learner in the history of the world. I love Elijah but he is not a CF

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

If the tea leaves are correct Manny lives to see another game! See Boz is a genius, Manny is the glue that keeps this whole thing together and StanK is the adult amongst the kids who sweats about all of the small stuff.

Manny you need about three more of these to get the media to stop questioning StanK.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 17, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else here Ray Knight call out Brue on the postgame show? Anyone?

Posted by: cdstej | June 17, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

WIN! WIN! WIN! Hallelujah!! Go Nats!! Radio was fun tonight!!

Posted by: samantha7 | June 17, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

And the Mets, Marlins, Braves and Philthies all lost tonight. The COMEBACK IS ON!!!

(Cool, the Kool-Aid's grape tonight!)

Posted by: HotNats | June 17, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of late-inning drama (CWS-style), VA's got a 3-3 tie going on in the bottom of the 9th, 2 on, no one down on ESPN2...

Posted by: HotNats | June 17, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Amazing how happy we are with one win, Huh?? Have we won two in a row this season?

Posted by: chris88 | June 17, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

HotNats, let's hope UVa is better in extra innings than the Nats.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 17, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

You have replaced Jaybee as the new pessimist on this site. At least he actually knows a lot about baseball

Boy you guys sure love them when they pull one off. Oterwise not so much. They are bad, hang in there and wait for the minor leagues to develop. Its going to be a very long haul.

Posted by: natsguy | June 17, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Do tell...

**************
Anyone else here Ray Knight call out Brue on the postgame show? Anyone?

Posted by: cdstej | June 17, 2009 10:28 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

In a year of the improbable, the inexcusable has happened! Woooooooooohoooooooooooooo!! NATS WIN!! Attaboy, Johnny.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I heard that, too, cdstej.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Steinbog's gonna be heartbroken.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

So what did Knight say??

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I too heard Ray Knight mention Brue. He basically said that he and Brue were arguing (on Ray's blog) about whether or not Lannan could pitch.

Posted by: bigmook | June 17, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

If only someone had shown this to Bowden years ago: http://tinyurl.com/n49cec

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 17, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

More on Brue:

Then Ray Knight said that Brue finally saw Ray's point and agreed with him that Lannan is a good pitcher.

Brue is a MASN celebrity.

Posted by: bigmook | June 17, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

This is as sweet a tasting victory since the move south. Thank you John Lannan. Legend!

Posted by: soundbloke | June 17, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else notice a bit of irony with Lannan's win tonite. He grew up on Long Island, his Dad took him to Yankee games at the "House that Ruth Built", and he hold the mighty Yanks to 4 hits in 8 and 1/3 innings, at what we hope is lowest point of the season for the Nats.

Maybe it gets better from here on out?
If we could just play by AL rules all the time - with Dunn as DH...

Posted by: bigmook | June 17, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I know this has nothing to do with the Nats, but I'm watching Sportscenter to see their coverage of the game, and they just ran a story on Brett Favre (I know, surprising) who's working out with a HS team in Mississippi. He said he wasn't sure if he was coming back and then he said, "When you're done, you're done. There's no going back."

I'm officially speechless.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 17, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Driving back to Fairfax from Gaithersburg this evening, I couldn't pick up 1500 very well, so I listened to the Yankees feed on XM. John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman were very impressed by Lannan and saying so during every half-inning. Nothing but praise for him, which was really neat to hear.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 17, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Turns out that UVA wasn't lucky in extra innings, nervousnats.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Knight ended up by saying something like, Brue, John Lannan can pitch.

He and Holliday were a kick on the postgame show. They were both pumped. The buzz cuts are growing on me.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 17, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the buzz-a-thon report, BG. I made a donation via the link on the MASN site.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

souldrummer, Lannan pitched 158 2/3 innings combined (MiLB and MLB) in 2007 and 182 in 2008. Hat tip to Hendo's Hutch on Nationals Pride for that info (and Google, which turned up the piece for me).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse