From Yankee Stadium

I just arrived by way of the B Train at the most majestic cathedral $1.5 billion can buy. I'd seen enough pictures of the new Yankee Stadium that nothing from my quick walkaround really surprised me. But I like the airy, Grand Central-ish concourse, where natural light floods in from the ceilings. This ballpark feels smart, purposeful. Everything from the elevators to the sightlines -- all well-designed, well-thought out. (This is in decided contrast to Citi Field, which is far too busy and sloppy for its own good, kind of like a NASCAR T-shirt.)

Anyway.

Manny Acta is already out on the field. So that answers that. A few of the hitters -- Josh Bard, Nick Johnson, Alberto Gonzalez and Wil Nieves -- are out there, too, taking early BP.

Also, the Nats made a roster move today. We knew about this on Sunday, but now it's official. Kip Wells is off the disabled list and back with the team. Jason Bergmann was returned to Class AAA Syracuse.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 16, 2009; 2:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reading Material (And A Video Of 502-Foot Homers)
Next: Tonight's Lineups

Comments

Wake us when Willingham is back and the Austin Kearns roster move happens.

Posted by: section417 | June 16, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

Any advice/suggestions about the new stadium will be greatly appreciated. I will be going up to NJ to visit my parents and my Dad and I will be attending Thursday's game. I grew up a Yankee's fan and loved the old stadium and I am looking forward to seeing the new one and seeing the Nats win it will be 2 years to the day that Zimm hit the walkoff against them.

Posted by: brothbart | June 16, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Manny Acta is already out..." too bad the sentence didn't stop there.

Posted by: twinbrook | June 16, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

What does any of this have to do with Brett Favre?

Posted by: trezmartin | June 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the whole series :)

Anyone else notice Johnson, Gonzalez, and Nieves are all former Yanks and out early?

Posted by: BergmannonMan | June 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll be happy if we can manage to get a hit against CC

Posted by: FloresFan | June 16, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Brothbart, have a great time--I hope you will bring the guys luck.

Posted by: Section109 | June 16, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Wake us when Willingham is back and the Austin Kearns roster move happens.

Posted by: section417 | June 16, 2009 3:06 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

Yeah, because that's really gonna turn around the season.

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

What does any of this have to do with Brett Favre?

Posted by: trezmartin | June 16, 2009 3:13 PM |
------------------------------------------------

Don't you mean to say: "What does any of this have to with Cristiano Ronaldo"?

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wake us when Willingham is back and the Austin Kearns roster move happens.

Posted by: section417 | June 16, 2009 3:06 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

Yeah, because that's really gonna turn around the season.

Posted by: fischy

Maybe not, but I bet it's a domino that's gonna fall before they fire Acta.

Posted by: section417 | June 16, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"Dead Manny Walking"

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think that's about the most devastating critique of Citi Field I can imagine, and I like NASCAR.

Posted by: jcj5y | June 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Well Martis had better keep it low or else the balls will be flying out of the new stadium tonite,but it might be a pitcher's duel anyway lets just hope its not a 15-0 beatdown like they put on the Metropolitans this past Sunday.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 16, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"Cracked Acta"

Posted by: HotNats | June 16, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Manny Acta, manager of your Washington Nationals. Suck on it and like it.

Posted by: joebleux | June 16, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

And as long as he's the manager wouldn't it be nice of Stan K told us so and made some sort of supportive statement? Come on Stan, grin and bear it.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Chico I've not seen the new stadium in person, but on TV I think the outfield looks like a convuluted mess, too many people crammed there, like they stuck a couple of sections in at the last minute. Also there is nothing distinctive about the home plate area, no pretty brick or stone, just ads, ads and more ads. I'm sure it is impressive in person, but the TV view of the actual playing field looks pretty uninspired to me.

Posted by: skippy1999 | June 16, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a high scoring series for both teams but especially the Yankees.

Posted by: jeremybozz | June 16, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how anyone concerned about defense could possibly advocate an outfield of Dunn - The Flash - Willingham.

Not even the Flash could make up for the other two.

Posted by: Section506 | June 16, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is that our best outfield is Dunn (oh God!) - Harris - Dukes. No one will admit it but Willigham and Kearns just don't have a spot in this team.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read all the comments on the previous thread, so I apologize if this is old news... But at looking at the pictures of Bryce Harper at cnnsi.com, I can't believe he is only 16. He looks so much older. It's probably why he plays older.

Posted by: psubman | June 16, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Twelve Angry Mannys"

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

As I pointed out in a post on my blog (baseballinwashington.blogspot.com), I saw Kip Wells pitch for the Potomac Nationals during a rehab assignment on Sunday. Although he apparently didn't have a good night on Saturday, he looked good on Sunday and seemed to have a lot of confidence. Perhaps now that he has the opportunity to work with McCatty he'll be able to help out our bullpen.

Posted by: BryanScrafford | June 16, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"No one will admit it but Willigham and Kearns just don't have a spot in this team."

Willingham DOES have a spot: trade bait.

"But at looking at the pictures of Bryce Harper at cnnsi.com, I can't believe he is only 16. He looks so much older. It's probably why he plays older."

Did you know he is nicknamed "Smiley"?

Posted by: Section506 | June 16, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psubman

The Nats will probably draft him and find out he's 25. Well spotted!

Posted by: BobBarker | June 16, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't one expect a major league hurler to exude confidence while throwing Class A baseball?

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Chico and the Manny Watch"

Posted by: combedge | June 16, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"A Manny for All Seasons"

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Intrudr

Your fatal flat, Intrudr, is putting Kip Wells into the class of "a major league hurler." This guy lost 17 games for Pittsburgh...back when he had stuff.

Keep both Zimms, Dunn, Willie, the young pitchers and redeal the rest of the hand. Time to push the reset button. That includes you too, Manny.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Chico, how is the fielding practice going at the New Yankee Stadium? I am sure a good manager would have his team going over the basic skills in mid June at a new stadium when they lead MLB in errors. Or is he too nice of a guy to ask his players to save his job for one more week?

Posted by: Batboy05 | June 16, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You got me there, I guess it's time to tear down the Kip Wells poster on my bedroom wall...

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

506

What do you think we could get for him at Old Navy?

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

A five-pack of 4T-5T socks?

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree with natsfan1a1 from the last Chico post, about the venom spewed on here being indicative of the haters rather than the hatee. And 506, too. I go to the games, still, and listen to the games, still (thank all the radio gods for Charlie and Dave), despite the losing. I've pared back due to the losing, but I'll still listen (till it gets too gross to even do that).

Posted by: samantha7 | June 16, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

Posted by: brothbart | June 16, 2009 3:07 PM |

Zimm hit the walkoff homer vs the Yankees on Father's Day, June 18 2006

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The Fatal Flat -- A venomous pair of shoes hunts the city at night ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 16, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sofa - I looked at the keyboard and it wasn't even a close typo so i let it go -- being a Kip Wells idol, and all...

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly, the last time CC pitched against the Nats, is was a complete game shutout in Milwaukee.

I was there. Ouch.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 16, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Intrudr- Thanks! I can't remember what year it is. So it will be the 3rd year anniversary not the 2 year.

Posted by: brothbart | June 16, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

You're Kip Wells' idol? I didn't even know he was pagan...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 16, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, John. I had totally forgotten that our boys once shut out the Brewers.

Or, wait, did you mean ... ?

Posted by: Scooter_ | June 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I went to that game on Father's day with my family - what a great gift and probably the most exciting game I ever saw. As usual, RFK was packed with supporters from the visiting team. Walking off against the Yanks (and taking the Series) was schweeet!

Posted by: Intrudr | June 16, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Dan Patrick can take a long walk off a short pier:

Posted by: Bethesdangit | June 16, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Dan Patrick can take a long walk off a short pier:

He is bitter they took his show off Danny boys radio station. Or is it that Dibble is our color guy....hmmmm

Posted by: CBinDC1 | June 16, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is that Dan Patrick obviously doesn't know that rookie Nats' pitchers blew Smoltz away in each of the last two years, Bergman in 2007 and Lannan in 2008 - notice how Smoltz did not say anything in reply? Here's hoping for a hat trick!

Posted by: Traveler8 | June 16, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Is it sad that, when regaling each other with stories of Nats games past, we don't have to mention that the other team won? It's just assumed.

-----

Thanks, John. I had totally forgotten that our boys once shut out the Brewers.

Or, wait, did you mean ... ?

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 16, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I like Dan Patrick. Always have.

And I think that was funny.

I mean, we're really bad, folks.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 16, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

"The funny thing is that Dan Patrick obviously doesn't know that rookie Nats' pitchers blew Smoltz away in each of the last two years, Bergman in 2007 and Lannan in 2008"

Quick, someone send him a link to that redhead lady's MASN Defining Moments commercial.

Flat out out-pitched me, said Smoltz. Right you are, John.

Bet he doesn't know Milledge has a haiku either.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 16, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I like Dan Patrick. Always have.

And I think that was funny.

I mean, we're really bad, folks.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 16, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

This is true, dude. We might as well laugh about it; everyone else in the country is...

Posted by: cdstej | June 16, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah; I heard it on the radio this morning and thought it was funny too. Bleep us if we can't take a joke.

Posted by: joebleux | June 16, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Still one of my all-time fave series. We attended each of the games. Didn't care much for the first one, but the next two were definitely sa-weet!

---

2B Robinson Cano
C Jorge Posada
DH Hideki Matsui
RF Nick Swisher
CF Melky Cabrera

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 16, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Chico must have been posting that at the same time...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 16, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave just now said on the radio that they don't know where Rosenthal's story came from. They sound skeptical that Manny is losing his job, and they seemed to dismiss the validity of all the stories that have been swirling around.

So, gum chewing for the rest of the season.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | June 16, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse