Game 1 Lineups

I felt the first hint of a drizzle while walking into the park today at 12:22 p.m., but so far, we've seen nothing worse. You might get damp by walking outside, but you won't get wet. The rain, based on the current forecasts, might not interfere until another notable atmospheric presence -- the 6-foot-10 Randy Johnson -- takes the mound. The chances for Game 1 look a bit better than they did this morning.

For the moment, I have my hands on Washington's lineup, but not San Fran's. I'll add that one later. Here is what the Nats have for Game 1.

Gonzalez - 6
Johnson - 3
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 7
Dukes - 8
Kearns - 9
Belliard - 4
Nieves - 2
Zimmermann -1

By Chico Harlan  |  June 4, 2009; 12:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: History On Hold
Next: Clouds, Rain, Sickness, Lineups (Con't)

Comments

I'm looking at a nasty batch of storm from Lexington to NYC, that might just skirt north of us. Maybe.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, here is last night's posted SF lineup:
Giants
Rowand -- CF
Renteria -- SS
Winn (S) -- RF
Molina -- C
Sandoval (S) -- 1B
Lewis (L) -- LF
Uribe -- 3B
Burriss (S) -- 2B
Johnson -- LHP

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

out of towners update for the mlb extra innings package. I see they just added the 1st game of the DH to the line-up. That is the good news. I looks as though, if my guess is correct, it will be the San Fran feed for that one. The nightcap will be carried by both feeds, if lucky eneough to get it in.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 4, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

More good news....Pirates 4 - Mets 0 after 1 inning. Already a great start to the day.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 4, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The Gonzales-Belliard DP combo seems to be Manny's attempt to field a half offense/half defense middle infield package. I think he'd be better off going with either an all defense/mediocre offense combo (Gonzales-Hernandez) or an all offense/mediocre defense combo (Guzman-Belliard). Quit waffling, Manny. Go all in, one way or the other!

Posted by: nunof1 | June 4, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

nunof, maybe he's hoping Gonzales hits, and Belliard fields, TODAY. It's like the Einstein-Monroe Gambit -- maybe the kid'll have her looks and his brains, maybe the other way around.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Gonzalez, Belliard, Kearns, Nieves...Holy smokes this is starting to look like last year's roster.
Oh and BTW, any1 read Boz management column today? Looks like Boz has been reading my posts. Good truthful read. Then again nuthin I haven't been sayin for months.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

let's all of us use our collective hot air to blow that storm system to the north away from South Capitol, starting at about 4:00.

Posted by: twinbrook | June 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

ya better start blowing west also....looks ominous

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 4, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Went to the game last night and had the "pleasure" of seeing NatsTown doing its best imitation of Atlantis. Think I'll keep my rain check for a sunny day. They won't fool me again.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 4, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark opines about how much money it will cost the Nats to sign Strasburg and why the MLB draft system needs to be fixed.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

the worst of it does seem headed for Lancaster. If this were in Baltimore they probably wouldn't get it in, but I'm feeling more optimistic they'll play 2. Crappy conditions, maybe, but playable.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Does "traditional doubleheader" meant that if I bring a ticket for the rained out game, or the 4 June game, I can go to both?

Posted by: ThinkingOne | June 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a mess again tonight. They'll be lucky to get one game in - and that might take a long time. If they can manage to get the Johnson game in somehow, then ditch the nightcap (hopefully for good - if the Giants fall out of contention later) then that will be viewed as a success.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Should someone macro a post in every other minute or so that says:

"Traditional doubleheader=two games, one ticket"

?

Posted by: OldDude | June 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@leetee1955 - Agreed that the draft needs to be fixed but I do not believe that capping the draft bonuses will result in major leaguers getting any more money.

If owners get a cap on draft bonuses, owners will get to keep more money in their pockets.

Posted by: Brian_ | June 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Think two, ThinkingOne.
and read the raincheck. Or the previous post, or two, or three. Or the Nats Web site.
You have to exchange your raincheck for a same-priced (or cheaper) ticket to any regular season game (except the upcoming Red Sox series).

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

and you can't trade draft picks.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

and fire everybody.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

a hard rain is gonna fall

Posted by: longterm | June 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

and newspapers should be free, and only employ Pulizer Prize winners, especially the sports section.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

too bad the game is not in Berryville.

I also send out a fond hello, LDO - I believe that I still owe you a beer.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll repeat the same question I had yesterday. Why is Kearns playing? I'm assuming there is something wrong with Harris. Obviously Willingham is still ill.

Posted by: RickFelt | June 4, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"Traditional doubleheader" = old school. Absolutely no Internet b*tching allowed. Find something else to complain about. And wear a suit and tie while you do it.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 4, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

awww, man. now there's a big ugly line coming up through Roanoke and Lynchburg. Turn around, everybody--blow south.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

and a brown fedora.
Hmfph. Kids today.

********
Find something else to complain about. And wear a suit and tie while you do it.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 4, 2009 2:25 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

got my SI today. Now I know why we stink this year - we are going to go after the high school kid from Las Vegas and we have to be first in the 2010 draft, then we can draft him for the first time, and Strassburg for the second time!

Posted by: 1of9000 | June 4, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1of9000 | June 4, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@RickFelt

Just to anger YOU.

Posted by: OldDude | June 4, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

You did it wrong, longterm.

A haaaaaaaaaaard raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains a-gonna fall!

Posted by: Section506 | June 4, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to interrupt any discussion about the weather - but why is Aaron Crow projected to go so high in the first round this year. He has thrown all of three innings since he left Missouri and hasn't pitched for Fort Worth at all this year? Has anybody read/heard any justification for his projected status?

Posted by: lowcountry | June 4, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

um... did anyone else who bought tickets from StubHub just get a notice that they would not be able to exchange their tickets (like I've already done) and would get a refund instead?

Posted by: twinbrook | June 4, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

lowcountry

espn's keith law's latest mock draft has the angelOs taking crow at #5. what a revoltin' development that would be if crow signed 40 miles up the road.

Posted by: surly_w | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Crow is projected to go Top 10 in pretty much every mock draft that I've seen. Why? Because he is still healthy, didn't get hurt, and is as good as he was last year as a top 10 pick.

As for whoever said that we could draft the Vegas HS kid and Strasburg next year, I'm sure that Boras/Strasburg would not sign the paperwork to allow the Nats to redraft Strasburg in the even that he doesn't sign this year.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

My only guess on Crow is that most of baseball bought the bs that the Nats screwed up big time and he is a top talent. It seems to me his talent was overrated.

Posted by: Section506 | June 4, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

He's only hitting .111 against lefties this year. That's what's wrong with him.

Granted, Kearns is only hitting .200 against left-handed pitchers this year, but his OBP is .400 against them (9 BB and 1 HBP).

For what it's worth, Kearns is also 2 for 5 against Randy Johnson with a HR, BB, and RBI and two strikeouts (two games in 2002).

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 4, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

>>I'll repeat the same question I had yesterday. Why is Kearns playing?

Because he has pictures. Color pictures.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

just kiddin...

Posted by: 1of9000 | June 4, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I think the doubleheader ticket question is coming down to the confusion about the ticket from last night. It can be used for both of today's games, as can tickets for tonight's game. The question is whether the tickets from last night need to be traded in or can be used for one of the games. Nowhere is this clarified. My husband called this morning and was told that last night's ticket will give us our seats for the 4:35pm game and we need to get assigned to new seats for the second game (should it be played).

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | June 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The Bernadina injury really hurt us. Other than Maxwell, he's the only real CF in our organization. I don't mind Kearns in center and would probably flip-flop he and Dukes, but he's better than Willie's been this year.

As for Crow, I think it's possible that the same player could be the 9th best player one year and then the 5th best the next, considering the depth of the draft. But what's more depressing is hearing we're gonna take another pitcher at 10, and one that won't be as good as Crow. Law also says there are rumors of Seattle taking Crow at #2 in his chat today.

So by not signing him, we're gonna get a guy that's not quite as good a year later while watching our guy go to B-more, where we'll be taunted by his possible success.

Thanks again JimBo.

Posted by: sec307 | June 4, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Sec 307,

Posted by: Section505203 | June 4, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Lurker - I think you've been given wrong info (someone will correct *me* if I'm wrong) -- To attend either/both of today's game, you need a ticket for 6/4. You can use last night's raincheck to exchange for a ticket for today, but there's no guarantee you'll get the same seat.

(or you can exchange raincheck for any other available game, excluding Red Sox)

Posted by: hats4bats | June 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Here goes the Crow thing again! I think the kid just wanted too much (and an MLB contract!) and I am opposed to the Nationals signing pitchers at any price. They need to have an internal agreement on how much he's worth and not go higher than that. That's good management.

Posted by: Section506 | June 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Let me clarify my last post by saying I hate Kearns and think he's a waste... but I'd still rather see him than Willie out there, for now at least. And I'd keep Dukes in RF so that we can have some kind of continuity out there. As of now we have four super-utility guys (everyday guys without everyday positions) in Dunn, Dukes, Harris and Kearns. I wish they'd leave Dunn in LF, leave Dukes in RF, and then have the bench guys play multiple positions. I think part of defensive problem is that too many guys are playing in too many spots too many times a week.

Posted by: sec307 | June 4, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Giants

CF Aaron Rowand
SS Edgar Renteria
RF Randy Winn
C Bengie Molina
LF Fred Lewis
1B Travis Ishikawa
3B Juan Uribe
2B Emmanuel Burriss
P Randy Johnson

Posted by: brothbart | June 4, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

505203,

Good point on the blame for the Crow signing. As for Crow's demands... who cares. In the end, the disagreement was over only a couple $100K, peanuts in the grand scheme of things. The FO failed to get the job done and while we have a supplemental pick, we will not get the value of having signed Crow last year.

Posted by: sec307 | June 4, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

506,

I would agree with you if the kid wanted say 10 million. But, when you are trying to build up a barren minor league system you need to overpay a certain amount to get impact 1st rounders signed. I don't think $500,000 in this case was asking to much, given the situation we were/are in.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 4, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Currently raining at NP again. . . I'm guessing only one game will get played this evening, and that it'll take 6 hours to do it.

Posted by: SavedByZero | June 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Statistics hold little significance when measuring the vast expanse of suck that is Austin Kearns.

Posted by: RickFelt | June 4, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I think that's a very defensible position, 505/203 and don't see any reason to try to dissuade you from it. For myself, I think the amount offered was already indulgent for his talent with respect to our needs and that getting that pick back for this (stronger) draft class will be a better value, especially if we take Strasburg AND a top position player.

Posted by: Section506 | June 4, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section505203 | June 4, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

506,

I do agree with you that if we get a solid player at number 10 (and I'm with you on a top position player) it will take the sting out of not signing Crow.

Of course, the Lerner's and Kasten must get him signed, and I'm very nervous about that.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 4, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"Let me clarify my last post by saying I hate Kearns..."

Really? He seems like a nice guy; I can't see working up a hate for him. I'm starting to give up hope that he's ever going to fix his problems at the plate, but I'm still rooting for the guy. He's not a complete waste of oxygen, like, say, Flopez.

I think they're playing Dukes in center to see whether that's a long term option or not (say, if it's easier to pick up a right fielder this off-season rather than a center fielder).

Posted by: joebleux | June 4, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Kearns from Missouri? Is that where the "643" area code is? Ha Ha!

Posted by: 1of9000 | June 4, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't be so quick to blame Jimbo for not siging Crow. Kasten and/or the Lerner's are to blame for the Cluster F."

As are Crow and his agents.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 4, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"While I don't feel the hate for Austin "6-4-3" Kearns that some here feel, I must admit I'm growing very tired of seeing him in a Nats uniform."

I think of him more as Austin "weak grounder to third" Kearns myself. Except for when he's Austin "that pitch catches the inside corner for a called strike three" Kearns, of course.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

interestingly enough (or not), the 643 area code is in the Virgin Islands; probably gets used for those overcharging scams. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

that's because you're a rational human being and a mensch, mainly, afaik.

*****************

Posted by: Section505203 | June 4, 2009 3:27 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

i'm already getting mad just thinking about our #10 pick.

i may have to jump on the LAC bandwagon if nats pick apologetically and compromise themselves over the strasburg deal.

i won't forgive this.

Posted by: longterm | June 4, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe. Nobody knows who's going to be better by the time they get up to the bigs. Nobody. Nevermind the Boswell HOF argument, since that's an irrelevant standard here. Apparently, NONE of the really good pitchers of the past couple of decades were drafted top 10. Position players are easier to assess, by far, but the best pitchers apparently *cannot* be spotted from a distance, by anybody. If they could, someone, somewhere, would have done so.

******************
As for Crow, ... what's more depressing is hearing we're gonna take another pitcher at 10, and one that won't be as good as Crow. Law also says there are rumors of Seattle taking Crow at #2 in his chat today.

Posted by: sec307 | June 4, 2009 3:04 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't doubt that the Nats office gave you bad information, but from the Nats website, http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090603&content_id=5126902&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was - the story notes that, "All tickets for the postponed contest, including season tickets, will be treated as rain checks and can be exchanged for same-priced tickets for any future 2009 Nationals home game." - if you show up tonight, with last night's ticket, you will have to exchange it for a similarly priced and available June 4 seat. Most likely not the same seat as last night - but possible.

-------------------

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster

Posted by: comish4lif | June 4, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

and Seattle taking him at #2 just makes me feel better about not taking signing him last year.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

DELETE -taking-

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

At some point we all have to let the Crow issue die. There is a point where all the malaise turns from venom to just plain whining. Nothing that happens in the draft this year or any year after can change what happened last year. Critique the FO on what they do with the 2 top 10 picks they have this year and move on.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 4, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Planet NJ: Changing venom into whine since 2006.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, that was me, misquoting Jason Stark. Here's the actual text:

"He's [been called] a once-in-a-lifetime player," Nationals GM Mike Rizzo said of Strasburg. "But that's what they said about Big Ben McDonald in 1989, and a lot of pitchers since then. Hey, he's a terrific right-handed pitcher. But David Price was a terrific pitcher coming out of college. Matt Morris, coming out of college, was that kind of guy. Mark Prior. The list goes on and on and on."

"Strasburg would be the 14th pitcher -- and 11th college pitcher -- taken with the overall No. 1 pick. The previous 13 [number one!! not top ten - CE] have combined for no Cy Youngs, no 20-win seasons and no 200-win careers. And remember, that's a track record that's held up for over four decades.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Real Baseball Intelligence (RBI), a leading resource in the evaluation of amateur baseball talent and draft coverage, offers its 2009 Baseball Draft Guide. The Guide includes RBI's Top 400 draft prospects, scouting reports of the top ten players at each position, a mock draft and more. It is available at withthefirstpick.net/guide

Posted by: bhyman1 | June 4, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse