UPDATED: Game Postponed, Doubleheader Begins at 4:35 p.m.

Wednesday's game was postponed at 10:47 p.m. after a delay that lasted three hours and 42 minutes. There will be a doubleheader Thursday at 4:35 p.m. Randy Johnson will pitch the first game.

Game 1: Johnson vs. Zimmermann
Game 2: Cain vs. Detwiler

The nightcap will begin approximately 25 minutes after the completion of the first game.

All tickets for Wednesday's game - including season tickets - may be exchanged for identically priced tickets for any 2009 Nationals game except the three-game series against the Boston Red Sox from June 23-25. Parking passes will follow the same procedure.

Tickets can be exchanged at any Nationals Park box office.

The first Ladies Night of 2009 will go on according to schedule on the Roof Top Party Deck beginning at 4:30 p.m.

NOTE -- It's been a hectic hour here. If there are any questions about Thursday's logistics, please leave them in the comments section and I'll try to track down a quick answer.

Answer: It is a traditional doubleheader, so the games will be played back-to-back with only 25 minutes in between.

By Zach Berman  |  June 3, 2009; 10:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kasten: "We're Going To Get This Game In Tonight"
Next: History On Hold

Comments

I am the god Neptune! Kasten will bow before me!

kasten meant to say earlier, "in deference to all the people who travelled across vast distances to witness randy johnson rack up his 165th career loss, we are going to further inconvenience them, and give our pitcher some peace of mind, and postpone the game till tomorrow."

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | June 3, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

So when Stan the Man said, "We're going to get this game in tonight," that was The Plan. But things at Natstown don't work according to The Plan.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | June 3, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Sanity prevails!

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

this is going to require some crazy excuse to get out of work early enough to get down to the ballpark to see the game, never mind that I'm not even coming in until 11 or so....

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 3, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Weather 1, StanK credibility 0.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 3, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey, look over here, look over there, there's fun, excitement, Natstown crapola to buy, $8 beers to consume, fun night at the ballpark, t-shirts, fancy noise, racing presidents,look over there, look over here, we're going to get the game in, no doubt about it, look over there, look over here...

Somewhere, there's a three-card monte dealer on Broadway who's lost his table.

StanK, you missed your calling.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 3, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Is this going to be a real, live 2 for the price of 1 DH? I haven't seen one of those since the early 70s. I'd be tempted to attend just for that.

Posted by: gbooksdc | June 3, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore had a real double headed near the end of last season against the Twins. A game got rained out, and the Twins were in the neck and neck race for the AL Central, so the game had to be played. I went and had great fun. But the did stop beer sales after the 7th inning of the first game, only to resume the moment game 1 ended.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 3, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

in a season of so many, "i have not seen that before", an assurance the game will be played and in what, less than 30 minutes, the game is called. go Nats credibility !!!!

Posted by: JT2009 | June 3, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Kasten: "We're Going To Get This Game In Tonight"

Nixon: "I am not a crook."

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 3, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. The stingy 'Nats are giving us two games for the price of one with the first game being Johnson's bid for 300! I feel sorry for all those who sweated it out tonight, but this is big news for me. Count me in for the doubleheader. Gonna buy my ticket now or as soon as the gate opens tomorrow.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 3, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Total spent on tonight's non-game:

Metro fare: $1.65
Water bottle from street vendor: $1.25
"Comp" price ticket from scalper: $10
Starr Hill Stout: $7.50
Hard Times Frito Pie: $8:50

$28.90! Yikes. And I left before the streaker. :(

Anyone know if those comp tickets are exchangeable like regular tickets? I only bought from a scalper after learning that the cheapest walk-up tix available were $18. Hard to believe given how few people were at the park...

Posted by: JennX_ | June 3, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

This evening was a total joke. It should not take four hours to decide to call a baseball game. Most fans have work or school the next day. Some fans take the Metro - if the game had really started around midnight, would the Metro have stayed open on a weeknight at say 3 a.m. to deal with the 1,000 or less fans that would have been left after a very long rain delay and then a game? There is no way that this game should not have been called at 8:30 p.m. at the latest, considering the weather forecast. I am glad that I left around then, and that a fan next to me had an advanced cell phone that could view the weather radar.

This is my second ever rainout, my first coming this April in Chicago. That Mariners-White Sox game was scheduled to start at 7:11 p.m., and was called at 7:20 p.m. What a contrast to the way that the Nationals handled tonight's game.

Posted by: sbeningo | June 3, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

wait are you telling me i cant use my ticket for tonight at tomorrows first game? after i waited around there for 3.5 hours?

Posted by: DCguy7 | June 3, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I was pretty steamed that Kasten was going to get my money for tonight for free and then say he was doing it for the good of me. Very few folks can start a baseball game at 10:30 at night on a weeknight. I'm actually pretty pleased to have the opportunity to resell my tickets for tomorrow's 4 pm.

Posted by: Section506 | June 3, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Three days in a row without a Nats loss! Things are looking up.

To Stan the Plan: Please, spare us your BS about caring for the fans' convenience.

Posted by: nats24 | June 3, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Classless Organization! We left well into the second round of storms and I pulled into the driveway 30-45 minutes later as they call the game.

Classless!

Posted by: Batboy05 | June 3, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

AP says tomorrow's pm game starts at 4:35. Help us out. A 4:35 start suggests a back to back doubleheader. Will they clear the park between games? Which tickets should be used?

Posted by: SteveC28 | June 3, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Help! I have tickets for the REGULAR game tomorrow. Can I show up at 430?

Posted by: flyingdonut | June 3, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

They can't clear cause no way of knowing how long game 1 will take. Thursday tickets get in. Wednesday fans who waited get the shaft. Interested to see how Nats handle.

Posted by: mgb711 | June 3, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

They better issue free passes to a future game (in addition to the rain check) to people holding tickets for tonight's game make up for this embarrassment.

Ineptitude such as this, not to mention the team's poor play and the stupid game presentation (Clint, "Sweet Caroline," the PA announcer's incessant reference to "YOUR Washington Nationals") are why I gave up the 20-game plan I'd had since 2005. Want to win me back, Stan? Stop insulting my intelligence. This isn't Atlanta you're dealing with; we're a far more sophisticated market.

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

SWEET!

Sorry for everybody tonight though. Lameness by the Nats, although that's par for the course.

Posted by: flyingdonut | June 3, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I was there till the second round of storms as well, made it home just long enough to watch two hours of ESPN News on MASN. Bob Carpenter reported in one of his 'on the hour' weather updates about 10:30 pm that there was a heated discussion between Rizzo, the Nats Ballpark operations guy and the umpires. I wonder if given the condition of the field the umps made this call over Stan for the safety of the players.

Posted by: raymitten | June 3, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

are you freaking kidding me? i had great seats for RJ's 300th, and i don't even get to go to the makeup, unless i buy more tickets for tomorrow's game?

Posted by: DCguy7 | June 3, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Agree raymitten. Somebody wanted this game played badly. Somebody else didn't. Power struggle.

Posted by: mgb711 | June 3, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

usually, tickets for rained out games are honored for any other game (unless its a prime game). call, but you can probably use it for tomorrow's game, you just might have to move to a different seat or section in the same price level.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 3, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

"Bob Carpenter reported in one of his 'on the hour' weather updates about 10:30 pm that there was a heated discussion between Rizzo, the Nats Ballpark operations guy and the umpires. I wonder if given the condition of the field the umps made this call over Stan for the safety of the players."
____________________

If that's the case, I thank the umpires. As for Nats officials, I feel like we're in the Bob Short era again (in terms of ineptness, not fear the team will be moved). Perhaps they can revive Oscar Molomot's old ladies night idea of free pantyhose for the gals.

To the Lerners: When you clean house this off-season -- and you'd better, if only to revive this woebegone franchise's credibility with its customers -- make sure the ballpark operations guy joins Acta and Rizzo in the unemployment line. (Kasten should go too, but that might be too difficult to pull off.)

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I predict Johnson will not come up big tomorrow.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 3, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I've been told that tonight's ticket will be good for tomorrow at 4:35. Guess that's a benefit after selling so few for this series - even both crowds of ticket holders (weds & thurs) wouldn't fill the Park.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I was there tonight. I left around 8:45, just before the second line of storms showed up.

I honestly don't see everyone's problem with how the team handled this. I've been going to baseball games for over 30 years, and the factors that dictate how rain delays are handled have been pretty constant.

* How many more games will these two teams play this year? If not many, they're going to wait longer to try to get the game in.

* What are the chances that the rain will pass in a reasonable amount of time? If the radar says it could happen, then the team will sit tight.

* How important is the game? Well, Johnson was going for his 300th, but I doubt that was much of a factor in this case.

* What are the prospects for eventually getting this game in if it is rescheduled? It's supposed to rain tomorrow, too, so trying to get this in tonight just made sense.

It's not like these basic guidelines have changed over the last 30-some-odd years; I don't understand why everybody expects that every time there is rain in the forecast, the team should make a decision on canceling the game right up front.

Posted by: PetworthDC | June 3, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

According to the official Nats press release about the rainout:

"All tickets for tonight's postponed contest, including season tickets, will be treated as rain checks and can be exchanged for same priced tickets for any future 2009 Nationals home game, excluding the three-game series against the Boston Red Sox on June 23, 24 and 25."

So if you had tickets for tonight, you can exchange them for tomorrow's games. Weather permitting, of course...

Posted by: jfoust | June 3, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Just bought my half pricer for tomorrow. I hope there's a big crowd for a great deal and that the Nats pay back those who suffered the price of inconvenience with a sweep. 18 innings of baseball with Johnson's bid for 300 as the first one! I'm rooting for a Nats vic in both, but at least I can say I saw history if they lose like the Pirates and O's games I've seen earlier.

Plus you get J. Zimm and Detweiler, the two young pitchers with the biggest upside...

Gotta love it...

Posted by: souldrummer | June 3, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

The forecast tomorrow is for rain all day, thus the chance that neither game will be played.

So I checked the schedules, to see when they might be able to make it up (and maybe throw a bone to the fans by keeping the eventual makeups as a true, old-fashioned double-header), and it turns out that the two teams do not have a single date during the rest of the season where they're both off (other than the two days on either side of the all-star game). No income for the Lerners, that's not good...

So what to do, in the event of rain all day tomorrow?

Although I seem to recall sometime back, some team played a split DH against different teams, late in the year when the games really meant something to one team. Anybody recall who that was.

Posted by: hats4bats | June 3, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

So what to do, in the event of rain all day tomorrow?

Posted by: hats4bats | June 3, 2009 11:49 PM

drink heavily.

Posted by: DCguy7 | June 3, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Petworth, anyone looking at the radar could tell you at 8:00 that not only was there another line of storms preparing to hit DC, but they were gaining strength and slowing down. There was just no way the rain was going to pass prior to 10 pm. What is the point of starting at game at that hour? It wasn't just "oh, rain, postpone the game!" It was "wow, there's two sets of really nasty storms about to hit and they're going to be here for a while."

I don't know what it was like in the rest of the city, but down here, WOW, it was a lot of rain. My (little) back patio was completely flooded after the first storm. It drained in just enough time for the second one to come through and flood it again.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 3, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

ok, so I guess I was wrong -- that different-opponents MLB DH never happened. A quick internet search points me to an article about an Atlantic league team (York Revolution) which had scheduled one of these two-opponent DH's this year, and the article said that this was the first time it had ever happened in professional baseball in the modern era.

Posted by: hats4bats | June 4, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

PetworthDC, please! You can't make fans wait forever on a weeknight. There's NO excuse for any MLB team to start a game after 10p, making normal people eat their tickets. I've been going to games for a long. long time, and that is NOT how it used to be. I don't give a d**n about the schedule, especially if it means I lose $40+ for each for the average ticket.

Posted by: nats24 | June 4, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Zach, any word yet if this will be a true 2-for-1 double header?

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 4, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

"So what to do, in the event of rain all day tomorrow?"

I was wondering about that, too. If it's just one game, and it can't be rescheduled during the season, obviously MLB's willing to cancel the game (like last year's game vs. the fish) and have a 161 game season.

What if it's two games? Could we wind up with a 160 game season? Has that ever happened?

Posted by: joebleux | June 4, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

1988 - ATL - 160 games. (I looked up WAS/MON, FLA & ATL on baseballreference.com)

undoubtedly more elsewhere.

Posted by: hats4bats | June 4, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

First off, I was one of those guys who waited until they called the game. I just want to complain about MLB.com not allowing us to post comments under the story about this game's postponement. in their story, they end with an anecdote of Ryan Zimmerman saying, "I felt like I just played a game." Well, guess what? After spending four hours at Nationals Park, spending $30 in concessions, and leaving unsatisfied, I can say that I feel like I just watched a Nationals game. Jackasses.

Could you please enlighten us as to what a "traditional double-header" is? I am under the impression that I can see two games tomorrow, though I doubt that to be true.

Posted by: bv2112 | June 4, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Traditional double-header: see two games, separated by about 30 minutes, for the price of one ticket.

Modern (split) double-header: two games, same day, but they clear the park between games (maybe 2 hrs?), and you've got to have a separate ticket for each game. Gets more revenue for the owners.

Posted by: hats4bats | June 4, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

silver lining: if the Nats only get to play 160 games this year, that means its harder to get to 121 losses!

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 4, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

What a huge ordeal tonight was. Stayed until they called it. Shaking hands with Ray Knight was my high point of the night. Wasting money on Metro, Food, and Tickets by far the low point.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 4, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

IT WAS RIDICULOUS LAST NIGHT. ANY ONE WITH ANY SENSE COULD TELL BY AREA WEATHER REPORTS THAT IT WAS GOING TO RAIN ALL NIGHT! I could get the radar on my cell phone and tell that the entire night would be a waste. Of course Stan the Man wanted all that food and concessions money! The umpires went out to inspect the field and it still took at least a 1/2 hr. for them to decide if they should play.

I heard Pittsburgh cancelled their game by 7pm. NATIONALS FANS DESERVE THE SAME COURTESY!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | June 4, 2009 5:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: miseaujeu | June 4, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

So is there any place to park when I get to Nats Park to exchange my soggy tickets at 10:00 when the box office opens?

Posted by: twinbrook | June 4, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Also, what happens if they play game one and game two is rained out? Do they give a rain check for game two?

Posted by: twinbrook | June 4, 2009 6:04 AM | Report abuse

>One quote attributed to Stan Kasten says that he wanted to "honor the fans by playing the game" How does it honor the fans by making them wait until 10:30 to decide to cancel a game when Metro closes at midnight? And doesn't it put fans at risk by having them moving from Nats Park to Metro during a lightning storm?

They want your money. That's all they want. I feel sorry for all the people who got stuck with a bunch of tickets before the season started.

Posted by: Brue | June 4, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

So, my Thursday ticket gets me both games and I get an exchange for the Wd night tickets?

Posted by: dfh21 | June 4, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Send McCatty back to Triple-A! Hire Glavine as new pitching coach!!!!

Posted by: longterm | June 4, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

one supervisor at the park last night basically admitted to me that keeping the fans there and not calling the game was at least in part motivated by financial decisions. when i asked around 9:15 if she thought there would be a game at all, she pointed at the "supervisor" tag on her uniform, and gave a wink and said "this is a business you know, they've got you here already".

Posted by: DCguy7 | June 4, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Late rainouts have been part of baseball for years. Used to travel to Vet to see the Phils during the "Wilderness Years" (1972-2004) and they held games VERY late before they cancelled them or decided to play. Had the same experience a few times in Montreal, Cleveland and - believe it or not - in Anaheim. They are damned if they do and damed if they don't. Fans who stayed feel cheated if they cancel and fans who left after getting soggy feel cheated if they play. The Nats did nothing different than anyone else despite anecdotal evidence of other teams deciding early. I also would like to think that if they did start the game past 10:45pm, they would have honoured rainchecks. Even Bob Short did that.

Posted by: MarcJMilzman | June 4, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Send McCatty back to Triple-A! Hire Glavine as new pitching coach!!!!

Posted by: longterm | June 4, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

----------------------

Keep McCatty, hire Glavine for the starting rotation as a sage veteran mentor for the youngins (after sending one of the youngins down to AAA).

Posted by: combedge | June 4, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

>> WHY COULDN'T THEY DO LIKE THEY DID FOR A WED NIGHT GAME THIS YEAR? THEY SAW THE WEATHER REPORT AND CANCELLED THE GAME BY 4:30 PM.

That's an easy one. There was a Caps playoff game that night and the Nats were looking for ANY EXCUSE to cancel to avoid the conflict.

Posted by: NavinJohnson | June 4, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

The Nats and Kasten knew that playing a game on Thursday was even more iffy given that they are calling for rain all day. At least there was some chance they could get the game in last night so people could see Johnson try for his 300th win. As it stands now, there may be no games at all on Thursday assuming Doug Hill has his forecast correct and Johnson will go for his 300th elsewhere.

Can't blame Kasten for wanting to get in a game that may be part of history if Johnson won his 300th. Yes, it stinks for the fans who made the trek to the stadium but they knew there was chance of a rainout also.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 4, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

____________________

Prior to getting his current job, the ballpark operations guy had no experience in baseball. He worked for the Lerners running office buildings and construction projects. Last night's debacle is what the fans get stuck with when the Lerners try to run a ballclub like a commerical real estate development.

Posted by: doubleplay | June 4, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I have tickets originally slated for the 7:05 game tonight. According to Nats320 blog those tickets are good for the 4:35 game. Can you confirm this? Thanks

Posted by: Breen933 | June 4, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes, tickets for the 6/4 705p game will be good for the 4:35 game and the nightcap.

Posted by: doubleplay | June 4, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Just out of curiousity, what was the attendance for Johnson's 300th win? Rob in Baghdad.

Posted by: zmediacritic | June 4, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse