Hanrahan Loses Closer's Role

Joel Hanrahan is out as Nats closer. Again. Mike MacDougal will now take over the ninth-inning duties. The decision came after last night's game, when Hanrahan served up two runs in the top of the tenth, falling to 0-3 and inflating his ERA to 6.84.

Within the hour, I'll have a meatier post on the matter with reaction from all corners.

Meantime, here is the other half of the lineups for tonight.

New York

Castillo - 4
Brown - 9
Beltran - 8
Sheffield - 7
Wright - 5
Tatis - 3
Santos - 2
Valdez - 6
Maine - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  June 6, 2009; 5:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups (Or At Least Half Of Them)
Next: More On Hanrahan, MacDougal (And Other Notes)

Comments

For all the stuff we've thrown against the wall in assembling this bullpen, maybe the MacDougal rescue job works. If he can just keep his walks down to less than 4 per game, then he can be very effective.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 6, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

MacDougal has at least been a closer before.

Of course, I suppose you could say the same now about Hanrahan, eh?

Posted by: nunof1 | June 6, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Of course, I suppose you could say the same now about Hanrahan, eh? (August - end 2008).
Of course, I suppose you could say the same now about Hanrahan, eh? (2009 start - May 1, 2009)
Of course, I suppose you could say the same now about Hanrahan, eh? (May 20 - June 5, 2009)

Yes you could, again, and again. Hopefully, they've removed the electro-shock pads from our temples & nether-regions for the last time.

Posted by: BinM | June 6, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Ok, here's where the geeky yet stupid side of me comes out.

BinM - As [RV]-poor as his batting average has been, Kearns still has an OBP of .351. Ranks behind NJ, Dunn, FotF, and Willingham, but all those guys have power. Even Guzzie hits for more extra bases. He does see more pitches than Guzzie. Maybe it would not be too weird to do as you suggested, but instead of benching Guz, bat him 6th.

If I get my choice of how I am about to be stoned, . . .

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 6, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@jca:
"If I get my choice of how I am about to be stoned, ..."
-----------
...Choose large rocks - that way, it's over quicker.
My rationale' for no Guzman was that he's 0-11 vs Maine.

Posted by: BinM | June 6, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I prefer bong hits. It makes the games WAY more tolerable.

Posted by: grandstander | June 6, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Who threw that stone? Come on...

Also, new post.