"I Only Have 211 More To Catch Cy Young."

After tonight' game, Johnson spoke for 23 minutes... and answered (I believe) seven questions. His family, including his three daughters, his son and his wife, were sitting in the front row of the interview room. In the afterglow of his accomplishment, Johnson thanked his family, his agent, all his old teammates. While talking, he mentioned every team he played for (including Montreal) and joked about old age. ("Now I know why [Nolan Ryan] was doing those Advil commercials.")

One excerpt from his post-game presser:

Q: Now that you've accomplished this, are you conscious of your place in history in this game?

I think I have a greater appreciation now, probably over the last 10 or 15 years, because when I was doing something and I was being compared to somebody else -- Sandy Koufax or Steve Carlton, people that I've met and respect a great deal and actually in awe of, or Nolan -- people like that, when your name is in the same sentence with them... I mean, I have a greater appreciation for what I'm doing because I know how hard it took me to get there, so I have that kind of appreciation for my peers, because I know that they had to go through to get there. I mean, it sounds funny, but you know, I played 21, 22 years, I'm 45 and I've come up 300 wins, and I'm thinking, 'I only have 211 more to catch Cy Young.' Or, you look at Greg Maddux, who I have great deal of respect for. I don't know if he has 350 or 360 -- I mean, I just got to 300 and he has 50 or 60 more. That's the kind of things I think about. To think how good they are, and to think how long they've had to do what they do and be healthy at doing it. I mean, the strikeouts are kind of cool and all, people enjoy watching that, but to think I'm still 1,000 away from Nolan Ryan. So I do take all that into consideration. I look at someone else being compared, and it's really, over the last 10 or 15 years I've really started thinking about that kind of stuff, where I've been compared to someone because of a pitch or an accomplishment and now I realize what they've done. I mean, the kind of career I've had I'm pretty proud of, but somebody like Greg Maddux with wins or Nolan Ryan with seven no-hitters and all the strikeouts, it really puts things into perspective. It just shows how good they were, and what they had to do to get there. That's how I kind of sum it up.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 4, 2009; 9:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Johnson Wins 300th (And Other Late-Broken News)
Next: In A Rain Delay

Comments

I wonder when Mike Rizzo will become tired of watching Joel Hanrahan pitch?

Posted by: msolem | June 4, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder when Mike Rizzo will become tired of watching Joel Hanrahan pitch?

Posted by: msolem | June 4, 2009

Have to assume he is off to Syracuse tomorrow. If he isn't they appear to be sending the wrong message given the moves they have made this season.
He isn't ready to pitch in the majors yet.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

How on earth did we fail to get Willy home?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | June 4, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely inexcusable. Man at third with no outs, heavy rain on the doorstep, 1-1, and no attempt to squeeze him in. Acta seems paralyzed with indecision. He really needs to go.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 4, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Funny how that number could be the Nationals total losses for last two years ........ ah the symmetry

Posted by: CBinDC | June 4, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

That is not rain you see.....it is our collective tears

Posted by: CBinDC | June 4, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Nationals: making "sick" teams better again.

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

"The Giants are running at will with the wet ball", but the Nats held Harris at 3rd with two outs and Detwiler coming to bat.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 4, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Through 5 - another loss in the books?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Why should the Lerner's wait? Might as well fire the whole kit-and-kaboodle now.

It was a dark and stormy night and the hatchet man cometh ...

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

14-38 -> 14-40 in the blink of an eye ...

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Bet they don't wait too long to call this one, as SF has to travel after the game. Two losses in a span of just a few hours. Sigh...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 4, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Might as well call it a game, they'll get no argument from Acta.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 4, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Wonder who the #1 pick will be next year?

Posted by: periculum | June 4, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Might as well call it a game, they'll get no argument from Acta.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 4, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but I saw this item about guys named Milledge and Young getting into hot water in Philly:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The FBI charged a US Airways employee with helping his roommate get a concealed, semiautomatic handgun onto a plane departing Philadelphia early Thursday.

Customer service agent Roshid Milledge switched black carry-on bags with passenger Damien Young at the gate so Young could board the 7 am flight to Phoenix with the unloaded 9 mm weapon, the FBI said in an affidavit.

I knew it couldn't have been Lastings. The guy didn't drop the gun.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 4, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Somebody send word to the Giants to go ahead and board the buses to the airport, this one aint startin back up.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 4, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

--Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford (1830)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Buckets of rain
Buckets of tears
Got all them buckets comin' out of my ears.
Buckets of moonbeams in my hand,
I got all the love, honey baby,
You can stand.

I been meek
And hard like an oak
I seen pretty people disappear like smoke.
Friends will arrive, friends will disappear,
If you want me, honey baby,
I'll be here.

Like your smile
And your fingertips
Like the way that you move your lips.
I like the cool way you look at me,
Everything about you is bringing me
Misery.

Little red wagon
Little red bike
I ain't no monkey but I know what I like.
I like the way you love me strong and slow,
I'm takin' you with me, honey baby,
When I go.

Life is sad
Life is a bust
All ya can do is do what you must.
You do what you must do and ya do it well,
I'll do it for you, honey baby,
Can't you tell?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 4, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Classic news conference - he's somebody who never really relaxes enough to slow down and explain things. But he did tonight.

Posted by: Brue | June 4, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

since there's little else to do but tout Randy Johnson. let me recommend a baseball movie in which he appears as himself: Little Big League. It also has Junior Griffey and several other MLB guys playing themselves. Came out, I believe, in '93. Might seem like just a kids' movie, but it's better than that. Very enjoyable, and it has a few Washington angles. Jason Robards plays the Twins owner, modeled after Calvin Griffith (pardon my foul language), who tells his grandson how much he regrets not going to a game started by Walter Johnson. Also, the Twins GM is named Goslin. You can pick up cheap on the 'net.

Posted by: nats24 | June 5, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse