Today's Lineups, and Michael Jackson

BALTIMORE, June 26 -- Thanks to the brutal traffic, I just arrived at Camden Yards. But my esteemed colleague Dave Sheinin, already in the clubhouse, passed along this nugget: Nick Johnson would be in today's lineup.

Johnson exited Thursday's game after the fist inning after sustaining a contusion on his left shin on a pitch from Boston's John Smoltz. That should come as good news for Nationals fans holding their breath at seeing Johnson, who has been injury plagued since his arrival in Washington, have to leave because of an injury.

UPDATE | 5:48 p.m. Once I finally got into the clubhouse, I was greeted by the sounds of Michael Jackson.

Speaking about Jackson's music, Ryan Zimmerman offered one of the more memorable quotes I have heard lately, saying, "To not like Michael Jackson is un-American." It took a second for it to sink in, such an obvious but somehow profound statement, but he is probably right.

Ronnie Belliard said his mother bought him a red leather jacket, just like Jackson's, when he was a child. Then Belliard mimicked some of Jackson's dance moves for a few entertained reporters.

Washington Nationals

6. Scott, DH
7. Mora, 3B
8. Wieters, C
9. Andino, SS
Bergesen, P

By Mark Viera  |  June 26, 2009; 3:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taking One On The Shin
Next: Olsen To Return Next Week

Comments

Ha! I knew Nick would be fine. Take that, all you "oooh, Nick's got a boo-boo, he's out for the season" skeptics.

Long live Nick the Indestructible!

Posted by: joebleux | June 26, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

w00t!

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 26, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Nick "Nails" Johnson

Posted by: Section505203 | June 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes!! Thanks for the update.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

(EXHALE)

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Didn't quite get that, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Never mind. Postal intervention.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't 1st basemen have longer shelf lives, like the irradiated milk in the box on the unrefrigerated shelves of European grocery stores? Sean "The Mayor" Casey comes to mind. Nick's shin may look like Hasim Rahman's head after Holyfield's head butt, but, like Charm City's own Rahman, he is in our lineup, ready to break O's hearts - sign him for the next five years! If my shin had been hit by that ball, I'd be hobbling around like Amahl before he was cured. Make him The Nat's Ernie Banks! He has the regal blood lines of his uncle, Larry Bowa! He is what we need!

Posted by: flynnie2 | June 26, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Harris - CF
Hernandez - 2B
Detwiler - LHP

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Good for Nick

Posted by: lowcountry | June 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Joebleux took the words right out of my mouth.

I like Nick too Flynnie but he probably has to go. However, he has to go for someone of value. So, maybe he stays.

Have you all seen how our starters match up against their startes? If the bats stay hot, I smell a sweep!!

Sec 204 Row H Seat 4

Posted by: adhardwick | June 26, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

mark

are you taking over the beat while chico attends culinary school?

Posted by: surly_w | June 26, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

omg...the myth, the legend flynnie is back in the blog!

Posted by: surly_w | June 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Johnson needed to be traded yesterday...hes going to break down sooner rather than latter.

Posted by: Cartaldo | June 26, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I love this line-up!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

surly, you had to go there, didn't you.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, surly W! A moniker that ranks high in blog heaven for wit - like "gamblin' rent" on BBTF! Query - how would St. Clair have done with these starters and this bullpen? The only reasonable explanation for his firing came from lowcountry - that he relied on the sinker for an out-pitch, burning up the arms of John Patterson, Shawn Hill and others, and Rizzo didn't want to let him at the current crop of arms. Also, without April and May's Incredible Stinking Bullpen, this team would have an extra 10-12 wins, wouldn't it?

Posted by: flynnie2 | June 26, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Unfortnately Flynnie, those "10-12 wins" are gone like a fart in the wind. To bad the BP we started the season with was just flat out God awful.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 26, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie2 | June 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"True, 502, but if the pitching's fixed, and they're coming out of their slump against the AL east, perhaps a 15 game Rocky-esque win streak is in the offing! At least we can hope!"

-I like the cut of your jib, Flynnie! Let's rip of 10-15 in a row! Who's with us! AAARRRGGHHH!!!!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that story before with Guzzie, Dukes, etc. Just sit Nick out tonight and put him in the lineup tomorrow. No reason to rush him back since this team's actually has some interest vested in him...

Posted by: -CN- | June 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Love it, Flynnie!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Father Flynniegan

Your unbridled optimism had been absent for too long from this forum.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the props, flynnie. I think I focused on the slider though. Nonetheless, it is good to see you back.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

505

inquiring minds want to know...will it be baseball or baking in chico's future?

Posted by: surly_w | June 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Flynnie, 15 wins in a row sounds good.

Let's start with a sweep of the team with the Halloween colors this weekend!

Posted by: Section505203 | June 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Ahh now I see why he was hurt... it was in the fist inning -

Posted by: CBinDC | June 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Mark I hope that weren't leading the team bus. If you want to know a shortcut to Baltimore email me. MK.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 26, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: imissrfk | June 26, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Long live Nick the Indestructible!

Posted by: joebleux | June 26, 2009 4:08 PM
-------------------------------------------
joebleux, do all your comments come with an expiration date? 'Cuz here's what you wrote less than 24 hours ago (8:16 pm last night, to be exact), along with my reply:

joebleux: "Great. This is exactly the kind of weird only-Nick injury that'll wind up with him out for the rest of the season."

gilbertbp: "A contusion is simply a nasty bruise. That's not remotely the same thing as a broken leg."

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 25, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Can you say "PWN"?

;-)

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

The DH and better pitching should help them against this team. Might be looking at a sweep ...

Detwiler and the kiddie corps of pitchers know they are competing against guys who continue to improve in AAA/AA. Plus Strasberg.

Posted by: periculum | June 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

D'oh. Stupid non-retractable posts. A fatal flaw in an obvious fine blog site.

Posted by: joebleux | June 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm with the wisdom of why chance Nick tonight -- unless he's clearly out of the woods (no purple feet later). And, I like this lineup too, the way Bard and Willie are hitting this month.

Go get 'em Det!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 26, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

"otherwise fine blog site"

Posted by: joebleux | June 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

joebleux: "D'oh. Stupid non-retractable posts. A fatal flaw in an obvious fine blog site."

:-) I know. I write a piece of deathless prose, put it up, then see a stupid typo in it. Arg! Typos! We hatesss them, doesn't we, preciousss?

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nick Johnson's bump that we saw on TV last night was done by Pixar so no one would get tipped off that he had had Six-Million Dollar Man surgery when he broke his leg.

(Start posts about superheroic Nick Johnson feats here.)

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"oblivious fine blog site."

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 26, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm rolling with Charlie and Dave all weekend. Can't stand the way Mr. Angelos's Sports Network handles these "Battles of the Beltways" - "The Parkway Series" would be more appropriate - like it's intramurals having to listen to those AngelO's announcers.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree we could win 15 in a row. There is no good reason why we are so bad. Our talent is not the worst in baseball. Maybe it is would Manag......oh well in deference to the need for some optimism, I'll hold that thought until the next example rears it’s ugly head.

Posted by: JayBeee | June 26, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"The fine paper to the north - at least the Web version - wants to know if the Nats are the worst team ever."

I don't think we're even in the running until we lose, oh, 21 in row or so, or get stomped 30-3 some night.

Posted by: joebleux | June 26, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Make that our FIRST 21 in a row....I hope we put a hurt on the O's this weekend. If we win 3 in a row I will not say a word about Manny Acta for a Month

Posted by: JayBeee | June 26, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I am praying for 3 in a row, if for no other reason than to silence you know who for a mongh...lol

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 26, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Dukes bat behind Bard and Willie.

Posted by: GuzDukes | June 26, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

sweep with good pitching and Dunn at DH?

Posted by: periculum | June 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

flynnie - You might be on to something regarding St.Claire's demise. Randy liked to fiddle with a pitcher's release point & "mechanics"; McCatty seems more of a "throw what got you here" kind of coach, unless a pitcher starts to struggle with location on a particular pitch.

Oh, and welcome back - your viewpoint has been missed.

Posted by: BinM | June 26, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what NatsFan thinks. I think I would like to see what JD Martin and Jorge Padilla (.357 in Syracuse) can do with the parent club.

Posted by: periculum | June 26, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I would let JD Martin have a chance in September and kill some innings after the real prospects have to get shut down. Padilla would just be a waste of time and money. He's too old and doesn't have any power. Also not that great an outfielder.
If he was any good he wouldn't be in AAA at 30.

Look at Baseball America about both of them. Not encouraging for them.

If Martin has a limited value for September use it. If he doesn't do well or isn't deemed to be major league capable cut him loose for next year.

Generally the true prospects are in AA and high A not in AAA.

Posted by: natsguy | June 26, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BinM! Nice to see you, again! McCatty sure did fix Bergman last year, but couldn't help him at this level. I am perplexed, but can't wait for a win streak. This team is everybody's underdog, they're ours, they've been starved by MLB, who made $1 billion off of them, and by the Lerners, who have ignored Stan for 2 1/2 years (see Boz's chat yesterday), and they looked as beautiful as Cinderella at the ball this last 10 days!

Posted by: flynnie2 | June 26, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I shall join cokedispatch in his prayers. Go, Nats, go!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 26, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

new post.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

That horrifying lump on NJ's leg is GONE. More evidence for my Pixar theory. Has anyone ever lost a lump that big that quickly?

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 26, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse