Just Another Crazy Night for Nats

Just spent three weeks in what seems like the Sahara next to Washington and, more specifically, Nationals Park. I can't remember this many rain delays, rainouts and general craziness in a baseball season, ever. But some of you probably can. Tell us about it today as we await the lineups, the late afternoon start, the evening thunderstorm, the rain delay, and the early-next-morning finish that seem to have become that Nats' signature.

Dan Steinberg was up with all y'all last night, watching the madness on MASN2 -- or trying to. We'll try to get to the bottom of that this morning. C-Span2?

Mark Viera -- who is surely rethinking his career choices after a few games at Nats Park -- has the game story that didn't make the paper. He and Chico combined on a Nats notebook.

Michael Wilbon is not exactly on board with the drafting of Stephen Strasburg.

And Boz will be chatting today at 11 a.m. I'm sure Strasburg, rain delays and MASN will all be mentioned.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  June 11, 2009; 8:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After 12 Innings and a 2-Hour Delay, the Nationals Lose
Next: Trying To Map Out The TV Problems

Comments

"Michael Wilbon is not exactly on board with the drafting of Stephen Strasburg."

But Michael Wilbon has yet to set foot in Nationals Park. Michael Wilbon has no idea what's going on with the Nats.

So I pay zero attention to what Michael Wilbon thinks about the drafting of Strasburg.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | June 11, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey, it's Tracee. Welcome back - we missed you!

And second what shepdave said re. Wilbon.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

p.s. I was away for a bit, too, and haven't caught up with posts from that period, but I gathered that Tracee will be writing columns for the Post. Congrats on that but glad to see that you're still posting on NJ as well.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night. Losing aside, the post-delay portion was awesome. All of the rain delays I've been to have been postponed so I was excited about sticking around and see it resume. Of course I stood right behind the dugout with all 12 of the others.

I can't believe what a different game it is when you're watching that close: the sounds, player interactions, signs, etc. It was great.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 11, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon can suck it. There are any number of reasons why he's a sports journalist and not a GM. This is simply one obvious example.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 11, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Who knew that the Nats should have built a retractable roof ballpark?

If I read the weather reports right, the rain will leave town with the Nats.

Seriously - it's so bizarre that my neck is sore from ruefully shaking my head.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | June 11, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

So it's come down to Steinberg's Nationals Fail series and Wilbon, a Washington Post columnist (emphasis on Washington) who has no problem admitting he's never stepped foot in Nationals Park, opining on the Nats signing Strasburg. We have now hit rock bottom of sports journalism in Washington. When do we get our guffaws out of the Washington Post fail threads? Sadly, its only a matter of time for the Incredible Shrinking Print edition.

Posted by: mojo6 | June 11, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Cool that you got to experience the post-delay portion up close and personal, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

mojo6:

You missed this quote at the end of Steinberg's latest ...

"(Noted, as always: I believe the Nationals will succeed wildly in the near future, and I will jump on the bandwagon with all four limbs when that happens. Growing pains, is all.)"

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | June 11, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

As for Wilbon point about the money $50 million is too big a price tag the nats shouldn't sign #37 for any more than 15. If the can't sign him we are looking at 2010 with pick 1 & 1A. Let boara$$ hold his client out skip a year playing non competitve ball in Indy league that work great for Crow!

Posted by: mintbucket | June 11, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Huh?

Did Strasburg join the NBA and we weren't told?

That can be the only reason Wilbon would ever pontificate on baseball.

Posted by: Brian_ | June 11, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"Wilbon is kicking us while we're down. Steinberg is making the most of misery with the rest of us. Know your enemy."

Steinberg has said he is publicly flogging the Nationals because of his anger over the city's treatment of United, especially the lack of a new stadium. I think that he sees this as hazing, or more appropriately, purgatory for the Nationals before they get to be a real team.

Wilbon, I think, is kicking us while he's up. He pretty much only publicly cares about his national media prestige now, whatever his own internal feelings may be. Even his Wizards coverage has become lip service. He's lost his way in the national spotlight, I think.

Of course, the column isn't all bad, there are some decent points.

Posted by: Section506 | June 11, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I never miss Steinberg's disclaimer at the end of each Nationals Fail thread. Just makes it snarkier. I'm a fan of well conceived, well constructed snark. But, piling on isn't particularly funny. And, neither Wilbon nor Steinberg are an enemy. They're just not very knowledgeable about baseball in the first case, or funny in the second.

Posted by: mojo6 | June 11, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Blogmom!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 11, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree with the drafting of Strasburg either but Wilbon has no business writing about it.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 11, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg is a snark artist and Wilbon has never liked Washington as a city and it's sports teams for years, He only talks about Chicago with any respect and now how much he loves living in Arizona. Why pay any attention to anything both say? Boz is one whose opinion I take to heart on matters both baseball and the other sports in this city.

Posted by: CBinDC | June 11, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

when did the nationals become an nba (narcisstic ballers alliance) expansion team? that's the ONLY reason that m. wilbon, the 40-something posse member of david stern's league, would write about the team. c'mon roundball mikey, you mean you haven't called up the nats for free ducats to see your beloved cubs? stick to what you know, okay?

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that this is a good question for SABR historians. Are any of them here who'd like to weigh in? Human rain delays don't count, right?

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back and congratulations, Tracee. I hope you brought some clear skies and some wins with you.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 11, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

What's the over/under that the Nats and Reds will play this afternoon? Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky (except when the Nats are on the road), Stormy Weather.....

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 11, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Since my team and I got together, it's raining all the time.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

maybe this rain is a form of purification of the sins of the segway

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Put it this way... while it's really easy to write about how awful the Nats are right now, who wants to read yet another "how awesome is Stephen Strasburg" article. So instead, opine a piece on how big of a mistake it was to select the hands down best player in the draft. It's contrary to popular opinion, it stirs the pot, and it's negative sensationalist journalism. It's a cheap way to guarantee reads.

In short - Wilbon can suck it.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 11, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Can't go on, every hope I have is gone, ...

Posted by: Traveler8 | June 11, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Does the home team play at Nationals Park or Noah's Ark?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 11, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

i think wilbon makes a lot of sense here.

even if i didn't, throwing some cold water on the absurd claims/demands of boras (that conference call was beyond ridiculous), abetted by the national media / espn frenzy machine strasburg messiah complex, can only be a good thing.

Posted by: malcolmyoung1 | June 11, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I was given to believe that Wilbon could not even spell baseball. Why Wilbon is even allowed to comment on the Nationals after years of willful neglect of the Washington Baseball scene is beyond me. It must have been the tie-in to the Chicago Cubs and Mark Prior that compelled him to wax on. As far as I am concerned he can wax off.

Posted by: natbisquit | June 11, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

noah DOES sell pretzels at the ark park.

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I believe we have the makings of a Nats theme song here....

This happened right before I went on vacation as well -- a long homestand with constant rain, and then they hit the road and the weather here was beautiful. One hates to be paranoid about these things, but ...

Posted by: traceeh | June 11, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I like that...The idea of the rain as a cleansing agent, washing away all of the negative mojo remaining from the Bowden era.

There's gotta be something about this in Nostradamus. Maybe, "And on the first days after the end of the deluge, the favored sons of the capital shall embark upon an unprecedented era of success, to the awe of the populace." It's there, right?

Posted by: Cavalier83 | June 11, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Tracee,

Are you a conspiracy theorist? LOL!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 11, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon's piece is especially infuriating since, as with boswell's early opinions on the matter, he offered ZERO useful analysis. As in:
- if we shouldn't have drafted Strasburg, who should we have drafted? Ackley? Ackley isn't half the prospect Strasburg is.
- There was no 1 and 1a pick this year. It was considered a weak draft by all the experts. There was on Weiters or LaPorta to David Price like in 2007.
- He also failed to mention the credibility problem this franchise faces with regard to ineptitude in general, or fallout from not drafting Crow last year (except in passing), and their relation to how we had to draft this year.

PLUS: as Loverro points out, even if he signs for $50M, that's a 6 year deal. And a freaking bargain! That works out to about $8M/year for a known draw and a guy who can make 35 starts for your team and raise the gate 10,000 every time he pitches. Anyone want to figure out the revenue on 10,000 additional fannies in the seats for 17 home starts? Its probably about $8M ironically. Remember this is the team that's paying Kearns $8M to hit .217, Dmitry Young $5M to sit on his ass in florida, Cabrera $2.95M to throw baseballs into the dirt, and Pena $2M to go the hell away. So I don't want to hear about money.

Nobody mentions a word when unproven QBs from college sign ridiculous deals. Matthew Stafford goes #1 overall and signed 6yrs, $72M, $41M guaranteed. And he isn't considered 1/3rd the prospect Strasburg is.

It was telling he wrote that column from Orlando, where he's serving as a member of the pre-game crew for the NBA finals. Stick to basketball where you have some semblance of a correct opinion.

Posted by: tboss | June 11, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

FYI and BTW, Chico's chasing the TV problems from last night and will have a post a little later. MASN says it was the cable providers' screwup. Viera is covering the game again today.

Posted by: traceeh | June 11, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon writing about baseball in analogous to AIG executives explaining the economy: both efforts are self-serving and not very well-informed.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 11, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

don't know why the nats skies are never dry...

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mike, stick to the ball size that matches your head, the one that bounces real high and goes thru a net. You have zero seamhead credibility in this town chicago boy.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 11, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Who's this Michael Wilbon character? Is he a local blogger?

Posted by: Kev29 | June 11, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Does that mean that we can expect another 30 days of rain delays?
__________________________________

Posted by: lowcountry | June 11, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Who's this Michael Wilbon character? Is he a local blogger?"

He's a soap opera star.

Posted by: Section506 | June 11, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

lowcountry

And then comes the locusts.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 11, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

It's 10:09 am Thursday morning. Is Manny Acta still manager? Counting down....since May 14 the Nats are 5-24. Tic Toc Tic Toc........

Posted by: dovelevine | June 11, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean that we have to start going to the ballpark in twos? Maybe somebody should take two chickens to the ballpark and sacrifice them before the status. I still like my racing president effigy idea, though.

---

Does that mean that we can expect another 30 days of rain delays?
__________________________________

Posted by: lowcountry | June 11, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

uh, statues, I meant.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I was really p----d at Wilbon this morning and am delighted that my fellow bloggers have said it all for me.
And great post, NatsNut.

Posted by: Section109 | June 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

leettee - I suspect the locusts will show up when Joba Chamberlain pitches at Nats Ark (I, mean Park - of course)

Posted by: lowcountry | June 11, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Good one, lowcountry, except that the Yankees series will be away.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

if not the locusts...RicketyCricket!

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

That'll work, surly.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"What's the over/under that the Nats and Reds will play this afternoon?"

Umm 7.5?? I'd take the over if that question made any sense.

Posted by: RickFelt | June 11, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon can suck it. Since taking the NBA/ESPN job, he's gone way downhill - he's become even more narcissistic than Mr. Tony, which is saying something. When I watch PTI now (and yes, I still watch, so I guess the joke's on me), I count how many times he says "I just told that."

Cheeseboy, on the other hand, is awesomeness on a cracker. The "Nationals Fail" series is laugh-to-keep-from-crying funny.

In short, when it comes to Steinberg and Wilbon, I say - more cheese, less crust!

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon? We talkin bout Wilbon?!?!

Posted by: longterm | June 11, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Jehovah works in mysterious ways, 1a
___________________
Good one, lowcountry, except that the Yankees series will be away.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 11, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Am I to be followed by 3 days of darkness? Fine with me if it stops all this freaking rain.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 11, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Folks, I just talked to a MASN spokesman who is under the impression that the MASN2 gaffe last night affected only COMCAST subscribers in the DC area. But it seems like the problems were more widespread.

If indeed you missed a portion of last night's game, would you mind spelling out the details here? That would be supremely appreciated, and would help me draw a picture of the scope of things.

I'm curious to hear...

- where you live
- your cable provider
- how much of the game you missed

Thanks!

Posted by: chicoharlan | June 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

That's two votes for suck it. Like a snowball rolling down hill the suck it movement is picking up steam!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wilbon can suck it...

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mvm2 | June 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"MASN says it was the cable providers' screwup."

Of course it was. But it was MASN's screwup to offer the cable providers the Brigadoon that is MASN2 in the first place, then yank it away for an indeterminate period of time and hope that when it made the Brigadoon that is MASN2 appear to them again they'd be paying attention and broadcast it. Whenever a rain delay hits, MASN is quicker to abandon its broadcast than a Catholic is to get the hell out of church after getting his piece of Communion cardboard. At least the radio broadcast fills a rain delay with Nats Talk Live or somesuch so that if a listener walks away and comes back at some point they'll know that there's a chance the game might resume. If a viewer of MASN2's Brigadoon broadcast abandons ship when the rain delay hits, there's no way in the world they can ever figure out if there will be a game coming back on eventually. And even if they stick it out with their eyes glued to the screen waiting for Brigadoon to re-appear, as we saw last night there's no guarantee it will - even if the game resumes.

The problem here is 100% MASN. The Nats can't do anything about it, and neither can the cable companies until MASN starts acting like a real network instead of the broadcast arm of the Baltimore Orioles.

When Chico or some other Post writer goes looking into MASN issues, it might be worth it to see if Orioles fans have the same complaints about MASN that Nats fans do. I'm betting they don't.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Rickety

we've already had 42 days of darkness, what's three more?

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The fact that Wilbon thinks drafting Strasburg is a bad move is the best evidence I've seen so far that it's a good one.

Posted by: mvm2 | June 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I once wrote into Wilbons' "Chat House" and asked why he is the only major columnist in the Post who never covers the Nats and he rudely responded to the effect that he is "too busy" to cover them with his NFL and NBA duties. And, he admitted he only pays attention to the Cubs. Funny, Boswell manages to find the time to cover golf, the Redskins, the Caps, the Olympics. FYI, Wilbon has also admitted that he doesn't go to Caps games either but that doesn't keep him from writing inane columns about them as well. If the Post is really serious about cost-cutting, they should get rid of Wilbon since he seems to think half of the professional teams in DC (Nats & Caps) are beneath his dignity to write about.

Posted by: HistoryBoy | June 11, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

HistoryBoy

you can't see nats ark park from arizona.

Posted by: surly_w | June 11, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that the "and like it" movement, led by Brue, is right behind it.

---

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wilbon can suck it...

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 11, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

And while I am on my soapbox, read Wilbon's "Chat House" and note how rude and contemptuous he is if someone makes a comment that he doesn't agree with. He could care less that most of us who write in actually are paying his salary by purchasing the Post. Even if Boswell disagrees with posters, he always treats them respectfully. The owners of the Post eliminated the business and book sections of the paper, but waste money on what I am sure is an exorbinant salary for an employee like Wilbon that has been mailing it in for a long time.

Posted by: HistoryBoy | June 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

As for the broadcast data, I can't weigh in on the resumption of play as I went to bed when the rain delay started. FWIW, I was watching on MASN2, Verizon FIOS channel 1, in Fairfax County, and they were about to go to ESPN News, I think.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

And besides that, Shaq doesn't have any particularly insightful quotes about the Nats.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 11, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Changing topics: How nice is it to hear Johnny Holliday do play-by-play? Carpenter doesn't bother me as much as he does some posters here. But, wow, it's like night and day when a pro like Holliday is in the booth. He makes D[r]ibble better too."

Yeeps. That must be snark, but it's too subtle for me to figure out.

Holliday is nice guy, and I wish him all the best, but he is just unspeakably awful at play-by-play.

He sucks the excitement out of a game changing play even better than Carpenter does -- on the hit by Bard to get the game tying rally going, he seemed to barely realize that the ball was in play.

And he doesn't follow the action at all -- there was a play late in the game where Zim grabbed a grounder just foul and tossed it to Nick. It was completely obvious from the way that Zim and Nick reacted that the ball was foul, but Holliday was calling it an out until he finally realized that when Nick tossed the ball into the dugout that it probably wasn't live.

I would seriously rather just ditch the p-b-p and have Ray Knight in the booth with Dibble.

Posted by: joebleux | June 11, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

and preach it, historyboy.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Re. the broadcasters, I actually like Dibble.

Also, it occurs to me that Chico might get more data by posting a new thread soliciting MASN input, as his request might get lost in the comments here.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Somebody probably pointed this out already, but it seemed to me that Wilbon wrote his column from Boz's notes. Wilbon on the Nats is like Wise on the Caps. They're only around when there's a story happening.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | June 11, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

All Hail The Dibble. The absolute best thing to happen to the Nats (or us) this season.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 11, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon is no gem, but in this article he is correct. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Posted by: TWTIB | June 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey, quit ragging on Johnny Holliday for mistakes he made after the rain delay last night. Dude is over 70 years old, and they were obviously keeping him up way past his bedtime.

And here's a little factoid about him that I just found out. His real name is John Holliday Bobbitt. I don't think he's the same John Bobbitt who was once married to Lorena, but if he is that might explain some of the oddities of his broadcasting style.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 11, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

sec3, i can't believe you read that far into his post.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 11, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I will give Holliday credit that he at least has a better sense of humor than Carpenter -- some of the digs he was getting in Dibble were pretty funny (well, before he starting nodding off).

Posted by: joebleux | June 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"way over the line, nunof1. and singularly tasteless to be tossing religious slurs in DC today."

I take it you're not Catholic as I am and have thus never seen the behavior in question?

Posted by: nunof1 | June 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm in DC, and have had problems with Comcast all season (bad shipment of DVR/tuner boxes, I was told by a knowledgeable source at Comcast). So I wasn't sure what was wrong exactly, when I came home late, heard the game was delayed, but got an old 0's game on MASN and MASN-HD, and C-SPAN2 on MASN2, toward the end of the delay. Calls to Comcast, very important to them, just sat there in the muzak. I found the game on MASN2 again during Nick's AB, IIRC.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

In response to your request, I live in Alexandria and have Comcast. I think I missed 20 minutes, give or take, of the game.

What was infuriating last night was that I was able to quickly figure out that someone at Comcast, and not at MASN, was asleep at the wheel, since the game thread on NJ indicated that others not in a Comcast viewing area were receiving the game. I called Comcast, and both the call center idiot with whom I spoke and his idiot (or perhaps lazy?) supervisor refused to look into the situation further after I explained to them the MASN/MASN2 situation and the fact that someone needed to flip a switch -- or, if it was really MASN's fault, as they were claiming, to pick up a damn phone and call MASN to see what was going on.

I am canceling Comcast in the next day or two as a result. Completely unacceptable customer service, as their reps took the easiest way out possible without doing one iota of investigating to see what could be done to get the proper programming on the air, reghardless of whether it was Comcast's or MASN's fault.

Posted by: csp17 | June 11, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The Strasburg pick is the best thing the Nats have done for awhile (not that they had any choice). Wilbon points to the record of 13 pitchers selected overall #1 and their spotty performance. That's like looking at 13 at bats from Albert Pujols on a weekend series, when he went 2 for 13, and deciding he's no good. Strasburg could explode just like Pujols could. No guarantees, of course, but maybe it's not so important to look at what other guys not named Strasbug have done in the past.

Posted by: EdDC | June 11, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

FYI, Chico has broken out a new post specifically for MASN feedback.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

MASN post up.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 11, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

no, as it happens, I'm not. I'm pretty sure many faith tradtions would recognise the phenomenom, but it's the "cardboard" reference I meant.
Not here to debate it. I've said what I came to say.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 11, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I wish Wilbon would just quit the Post. He always chooses the opposite side of whatever a D.C. franchise chooses to do. I can't stand him.

Posted by: 1stpick | June 11, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

hehe, leetee owes me a Coke now.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"but it's the "cardboard" reference I meant."

You clearly have never tasted the hosts they use for Communion in Catholic churches. Even priests I've known would agree that cardboard is a good description of them.

Posted by: nunof1 | June 11, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Turn the clock back to Tuesday, 6pm. "...and with the first pick the Nationals select somebodynotnamedstrasburg...".

Who believes we would have awoken this morning to a column in the WP written by Wilbon entitled "Nats on the Right Track, Great #1 Pick".

He's like a shockjock who will say anything just for a reaction. He's got to enhance his TV personality too.

Posted by: pwilly | June 11, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The Wilbon column would have pilloried the Nats for passing on Strasburg.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

1a1 - I feel the need to correct your post.

"The Wilbon column would have pilloried the Nats for" part is ok, but what might have followed is:

...passing on Strasburg, or
...solving the housing crisis, or
...ending world hunger, or
...curing cancer.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 11, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I know. Rookie mistake. Won't happen again.

*********
sec3, i can't believe you read that far into his post.
Posted by: NatsNut | June 11, 2009 11:03 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 11, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the correction, 295. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse