Kasten: "We're Going To Get This Game In Tonight"

Nationals President Stan Kasten announced that tonight's Nationals-Giants game will be played. Once the rain stops, he said it will take 30 minutes to fully drain the field.

"Because of the significance of the game and that people came for this game in particular, and because tomorrow afternoon looks quite problematic with rain as well, we're going to get this game in tonight," Kasten said. "We're going to try very hard."

Kasten was joined by Giants President Larry Baer, who concurred with Kasten and confirmed that Randy Johnson is still scheduled to start for the Giants.

"We have a series of tough choices here, but Larry and I are both in agreement of what to do," Kasten said. "We've been conferring with the managers. We've been conferring with the umpires. It's a horrible inconvenience for those fans, but it's a greater inconvenience for those fans who took pains to come here tonight. We're always mindful of trying to play the game if there's any way we can, and we think we're going to be able to do it, as tough as the conditions are."

By Zach Berman  |  June 3, 2009; 10:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rain Delay Update [UPDATED]
Next: UPDATED: Game Postponed, Doubleheader Begins at 4:35 p.m.

Comments

But did they bother to tell the fans this, or did they just let them sit in the Red Loft or stand around the concourses and wait with no new information?

Posted by: ramgut | June 3, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

who sez StanK isn't the man with the plan? He wants to replace Doug Hill at channel 7!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 3, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

at this rate some fans will be going straight from natstown to work or school tomorrow morning.

Posted by: surly_w | June 3, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

In other words no refunds or rain checks.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 3, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

REPOSTING

Two brief Nats-related items from SI.com's Jon Heyman, Really agree about his assessments of Dunn and Willingham,

• Now that Randy St. Claire has been fired as Nationals pitching coach, I'm expecting a complete turnaround. Not! Manager Manny Acta would appear to be next in line to go.

• One of many problems with the Nats is that they have several American League players. Dunn is one. Willingham is probably another.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Is the Metro going to be running after midnight? Or did the Lerners just buy a cheap fleet of taxes for those $75 cab rides from Southeast to Fairfax?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 3, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Glad I stayed home. Took a bath, did some laundry. Now, as game time approaches, I'm cracking the bourbon and Maalox? Fellas, should I break open the Bookers tonight?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 3, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

ah, i think we blew it by not building a stadium w/ a retractable roof.

our climate may have shifted and we now live in florida.

i don't remember it raining so often when i was a kid.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | June 3, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the ticket policy is for people who went to the game but cannot stay until a "maybe" start time of 10:45. Also, I sure hope metro stay open until 2am.

Posted by: mikeladd123 | June 3, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

that's easy for kasten to say, he doesn't have to get up and be at the job at some ungodly early hour like most working folks.

Posted by: surly_w | June 3, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

"Larry and I are both in agreement of what to do," Kasten said.

As opposed to just one of them being in agreement.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Mikeladd, if they play the game, there's no rainout, therefore no rain checks. You left early, tough.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm off to listen to the first three innings of the Dodgers' game with Vin Scully on XM. Hope the Big Unit doesn't hurt himself either pitching or fielding down in Stan's Swamp, er....NatsTown.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

This is asinine. Why can't the Nats play an old-time twi-night doubleheader, starting at 4:05 p.m. or thereabouts? Fear of setting a precedent?

The White Sox and Rangers, both of whom draw better than the Nats, have played makeup twi-nighters this year.

At the very least, the Nats should give free passes to those with ticket stubs tonight, whether or not the game is played, as a way of apologizing to their customers for this inconvenience. When I lived in New York in the 1990s, the Yankees used to let fans who experienced considerable rain delays use the ticket for selected future dates (usually against less attractive opponents, to be sure, but games just the same). Why can't the Nats be as fan-friendly?

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side of things, the Nats record in games like this is quite good...

Posted by: wigi | June 3, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Already been mentioned that Glavine was released. I remember Lefty hanging around, and then trying to hang around, long after he was finished. I wouldn't want to see Glavine do that.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I live around the corner from the park and planned to go, then decided I'd rather wait out a rain delay in the comfort of home....4 hours later, now I'm off to bed. Yet another outstanding decision by the Nationals, who always think about their fans.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 3, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Kasten: "I hate all my fans and will make you sit in the rain forever. Whatever the situation, the fans come last. Now go buy some $11 Pit Beef Sandwiches you miserable @#$%%^s"

Posted by: Watson1 | June 3, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

This is just another reason why I dropped my season tickets. I love supporting this team, but hate burning money on nights like this. Even if I waited out the hours and hours of rain, is the night enjoyable?

Posted by: MinorLeagueFanatic | June 3, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

VPat, it's expected to rain tomorrow as well, and the Giants aren't here again this year, so it pretty much is going to be a morning-night doubleheader.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I went to the game, stayed for 2 hours of rain, left, made if home to Rockville and they're still talking about playing! Glad I had a freebie tonight, sorry to those who didn't.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking about heading out. Will those ticket ATM machines still work for tonight?

Posted by: jamesadams20 | June 3, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't there but I know several people who were. Two numbers will be interesting if this game is actually played. The first is the ticket count and the second is that people still there in, let's say, the 6th inning.

Posted by: mikeladd123 | June 3, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Ladies - Rain in the forecast tomorrow. No mutual off days for Nats and Giants from now 'til the end of year. It's either tonight or an extra meaningless doubleheader in October. Guess you'd toodles would rather see history made somewhere else. I'm heading over now. I'll be the guy right behind home plate.

Posted by: bigmeeks1 | June 3, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and be sure to bring in your own beer and hot dogs. Oh, wait, you can't. Nevermind.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Word from the Park - they're hoping for an 11pm start.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

An 11 p.m. start? Any later and this'll be like that famous Padres-Phillies second game of a twi-nighter at the Vet in '93 that began after 1 a.m. and ended at 4:41. Anyone know where Mitch Williams is?

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Seems like maybe the Umps don't want to start after 11 pm. Its still raining fairly hard down here, at 10:35. It takes 30 minutes to pull the tarp off and drain the field. I'm think MLB might step in and force them to postpone the game.

Posted by: RedBirdie | June 3, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't figured out how to sneak in alcohol to Nats Park yet, you haven't been to enough games or you're not paying enough attention to the security procedures.

Posted by: grandstander | June 3, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I just walked around the stadium. There aren't 1,500 people left and half of them are in the bar/restaurant in Left-Center. Bigmeeks is right, though. It's tonight or never.

The Nats already have to finish that suspended game against the Astros in Houston. They'll be the home team in the bottom of the 11th in the other guys' yard.

Posted by: rgalen | June 3, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@VPaterno - I was at that game. Got out of work at 1AM and drove to Philly (from Delaware) in time for most of game 2

Posted by: Brian_ | June 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Stan and the Umps are on the field right now looking at the outfield.

Posted by: rgalen | June 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:28 PM

This was a joke right? Not even slightly difficult to bring in food/booze.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Um, no way can they start at 11 pm. It's 10:36 and it's still raining very hard (I live not far from Nats Park). I think they need at least an hour after the rain stops to remove the tarp and drain the field. I'd say midnight at the earliest, if they can play at all. If I could stay awake, sitting behind the Nats dugout to watch the Big Unit and be a part (maybe) of history, could be fun. But the later it gets, the tougher that would be. We'll see.

Posted by: Section222 | June 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Are they going to serve breakfast? (Says my boyfriend.)

Posted by: Section109 | June 3, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I've switched to that new timed-release beer.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I may head down there. How many people are in the stands?

Have to drive though, can't take the subway as it will be closed.

After all this, watch the Nats blow RJ out in the first.

Posted by: flyingdonut | June 3, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

If Randy Johnson wins his 300th game, but nobody is there to see it... Does it still count?

Posted by: psubman | June 3, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

see, the FO is getting this game in because it would inconvenience the fans not to, but there will be no vendors left by the time they start, and ... oh, nevermind.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind, I was relaying the 'hope' for an 11pm start.

I'm also hoping we finish .500 this year - ain't gonna happen

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

but it would be funny if they wait til midnight to start, and Johnson gets knocked out in the first inning.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

psubman, if not, then the Marlins shouldn't get to keep those WS trophies, either.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Now hearing it's canceled - no 11pm, no game tonight...

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

A true story about that '93 Padres-Phils game: I lived in the Philly area in '93 (before I moved to metro NYC), and went to a lot of Phils games that magical year. I would have gone to that twin bill, too, but I had a job interview in south Jersey the following morning.

I woke up at 5:15 Saturday morning to get ready, and the clock radio awakes me with Scott Graham's postgame show. Weird.

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

MLB Network confirms ... game canx

Posted by: Brian_ | June 3, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

MLB Network reporting it is cancelled

Posted by: mikeladd123 | June 3, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

MLB needs to get rid of interleague play and have each inter-division team visit twice a year, as they used to do. It would eliminate most nights like this--especially since rainstorms like this tend to happen more in the early part of the season. If need be, then you've got a DH scheduled for the team's second visit.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | June 3, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

MASN is just showing POSTPONED

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 3, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

That's amusing - I'm in Reston and the skies have cleared here.

Posted by: flyingdonut | June 3, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Guess the umpires and league overruled Stan

Posted by: Kev29 | June 3, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

The Os announcer just said it was postponed.

Good night.

Posted by: alm1000 | June 3, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Interleague play isn't the problem. What MLB should do is set up a four-day period on a Monday to Thursday -- perhaps the week after Labor Day -- where all teams are idle and rained-out games can be made up.

Posted by: VPaterno | June 3, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Probably for the best, wouldn't have been on tv thanks to the O's playing out west.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 3, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

4:30 doubleheader thursday. Johnson pitches game 1

Posted by: mgb711 | June 3, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

how does that work? I have tickets for the regularly scheduled game tomorrow.

Posted by: flyingdonut | June 3, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse