Lineups, Notes

Give me an hour or so, and I'll have the full transcripts of interviews with all the principal characters from the St. Claire-McCatty move. In the meantime, here are a few other quick-hit notes.

* The Nats today reinstated Elijah Dukes from the DL, and placed RHP Kip Wells on the 15-day DL, retroactive to May 31, with a right abductor strain. Zach Berman, among the army of Posties at the ballpark tonight, can fill you in on the details here later.

* Cristian Guzman, who missed the last two games with a sore thumb, is back in the lineup tonight.

* Still no word on the status of C Jesus Flores, who was in Birmingham, Ala., yesterday to meet with orthopedist James Andrews. Team officials are saying they will have an injury update on Flores within the next few hours.

* OF Josh Willingham has been battling a little stomach virus; that's why he is not in the lineup tonight, despite his hot bat.

Tonight's lineups

Dukes - 9
Harris - 8
Bard - 2
Hernandez - 4
Stammen - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  June 2, 2009; 4:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pitching Coach St. Claire Fired
Next: Flores Out At Least Three Months, Maybe For Season

Comments

Starting tonight for the Phillies, in San Diego, and making his Major League debut:

Antonio Bastardo.

The rest of you can fill in your jokes here...

Posted by: fischy | June 2, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet they are just making that up.

Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss | June 2, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Flores is making a trip to see Dr. Andrews? That seems like very bad news.

Posted by: jcj5y | June 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Starting tonight for the Phillies... Bastardo

Posted by: fischy | June 2, 2009 4:33 PM

Perfect name to match their fan base

Posted by: Kev29 | June 2, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"right abductor": the part of the body you strain when ducking line drives...

Posted by: baltova1 | June 2, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Flores is making a trip to see Dr. Andrews? That seems like very bad news."

Yes, you know it's bad news when even our catchers are going to see Dr. Andrews.

Posted by: Section506 | June 2, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The abductors are the muscles that allow you to spread your legs.

Posted by: BoteMan | June 2, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: banjax451 | June 2, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

So who is the best coach on this team? Grissom (baserunning and outfield), Listach (baserunning and infield), Riggleman (bench), McCatty (Pitching), Knorr (Bullpen), or Eckstien (hitting). It's got to be Eckstien by a wide margin right? Who's next? Well McCatty's pitchers have never given up a run. So....

Posted by: natbiscuits | June 2, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"Based on the numbers, McCatty seems to be doing a heckuva job. "

Just as long as his nickname's not "Brownie"...

Posted by: nunof1 | June 2, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't know much about abductor muscles but I know they're part of the thigh.

I am really p----d about Randy. No way can he be blamed for the bulk of the current problems. It's just illogical. He has been praised for years, and all of a sudden he's the goat? More like a sacrificial lamb, as folks have said. Whoever made this decision is an ingrate. Geez, the team's most glaring problem right now is defense, and what the hell did Randy have to do with that?

Randy, I hope you land with a team whose management deserves you.

Now I'm going to the Phillies Web site to see if that guy's name really is Bastardo.

Posted by: Section109 | June 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

>>What on earth is a "right abductor strain" I've never heard of that body part before.
I'll bet they are just making that up.Posted by: deMille_Ondefloss

Just like when you go to the mechanic and they tell you you need a new Johnson rod (OK I stole that from Seinfeld).

Posted by: dovelevine | June 2, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"I am really p----d about Randy. No way can he be blamed for the bulk of the current problems. It's just illogical. He has been praised for years, and all of a sudden he's the goat? More like a sacrificial lamb, as folks have said"

I believe you are probably right, but maybe they are looking at the young pitchers they've brought up, they seem to do so well the first couple of games and then start to tail off, now it could be because there is now film on them and hitters have seen them, but maybe they feel McCatty works better with the younger pitchers? Either way they should have fired Manny at the same time, retaining him just makes him the biggest lame duck coach ever.

Posted by: skippy1999 | June 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

It's too soon to know whether this is a good move or not. Lets give it an inning or two. Lets see if he can fix JZ and his first inning blues his next start. We'll be watching.

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 2, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments from Tony Gwynn on you-know-who, from the Dan Patrick Show:

"San Diego State baseball coach and Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn joined the show to discuss his star pitcher Stephen Strasburg.

Gwynn said he thinks his phenom Strasburg is getting too much hype. "He's a college pitcher," Gwynn said. Gwynn said MLB hitters wouldn't be wowed by his stuff as much as everyone else seems to be right now.

Gwynn said he gets that attention because of the 100mph-plus velocity on his fastball. But Gwynn said that Strasburg needs to throw his non-fastball pitches for strikes. You don't have to do that in college.

Gwynn's gut feeling is that the Washington Nationals will take Strasburg with the No. 1 overall pick and he'll pitch this season. Gwynn says it depends on how long he takes to sign.

Gwynn did try to contain the hype, but he also said Strasburg has great stuff and should have a fantastic chance at success in the majors."

Posted by: baltova1 | June 2, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

>>No Kearns in the lineup. On the one hand, I'm glad. On the other hand, I'm disappointed because I do enjoy heckling him from my seats.
Posted by: banjax451<<

Great attitude. Be sure to stop by, or heckle a little louder next time so my section can hear you.

Posted by: Section138 | June 2, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

OK time to root root root for the other team. Might as well be historically bad. No use being mediocre. Come in last. Get another No. 1 pick. Hopefully get the manager and whoever else jettisoned and start all over from scratch next year. Go Giants.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 2, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"It's too soon to know whether this is a good move or not. Lets give it an inning or two."

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 2, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse
++++++++++++++++
Codswallop! How dare you suggest that we need to exercise patience and see how someone actually performs?

How dare you, sir?

Posted by: Scooter_ | June 2, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Catching up from the last thread:

"execution OF the organization at large"

I don't know what the discussion topic was that started this idea, but I'm in favor of the solution!

As for all those of you who see St's firing as a warning shot to Manny, it pays to remember that Saint was a pre-Manny holdover, so he was never really a "Manny" guy - firing the rest of the guys was really the warning shot. I'll be interested to see Rizzo's thinking on it - St. was pretty highly regarded and always seemed to coax something better than their career averages our of the mediocre guys he had (Loaiza and Carrasco, Redding, Rauch, Ayala, Micah Bowie). Maybe coaxing barely-adequate MLB performances out of AAAA arms is a different skillset than coaching young guys how to become mainstay MLB pitchers, but I'm not sure pitching coach was the major issue here - this feels very much like "we're completely frustrated with the performance so far, so the axe has to fall on someone."

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 2, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I say, see what you can get from the Mets before firing Acta.

Go Manny Burriss! May you get 4 hits and have the Nats turn 4 double plays.

Posted by: jctichen | June 2, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

new post, bad news.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 2, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"If you can sell players for cash, and trade them for bats, can you trade a coach for a player?"

I say we trade Manny for some more first round draft picks!

Posted by: Section506 | June 2, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse