More About (And From) Manny Acta

The Nationals, so long as they keep playing like the Nationals, have no right to expect much stability or certainty. Those in the clubhouse -- and even those in the front office -- know this. They know that wins, and only wins, will afford their manager a sliver of job security.

Washington's players, on Tuesday, insisted that recent speculation about Manny Acta's impending firing have not disrupted the ballclub, or undermined Acta's ability to manage. Players described Acta's tenuous job security as a simple and understandable fact -- unfortunate, but up to them to change. Even a public statement of support would do little good, some players said, without an upswing in performance.

"I've been in this league before, and you see it the other way, too," catcher Josh Bard said. "I've had times when management says about the manager, 'Hey, we couldn't be happier with him.' And then two days later he's fired. So you never know... Obviously you don't want to see anybody lose their job, but we have to go out and play. Rumors won't change our preparation. We have to play better. I think sometimes you forget in this league that everybody's job is on the line all the time."

"We've been through that stuff all year," Ryan Zimmerman said. "If we keep playing the game the right way like we have been doing, hopefully things will turn around for us. But do I rush here every day and read the paper to see what's going on [with Acta]? Absolutely not."

When a Fox Sports report on Saturday suggested that Acta's firing was imminent -- and already decided -- Acta spoke immediately thereafter with acting general manager Mike Rizzo and president Stan Kasten, who assured him that the report was inaccurate. But even that assurance does not solidify Acta's job, which now survives on a series-by-series basis.

"It's certainly uncomfortable with the speculation," Rizzo said. "Names are being bandied about of replacements and we haven't even discussed it with the current manager. He's still our manager. We support him. And all the reports that happened over the weekend, I don't know where those reports come from. And there's not much to comment on reports that there's no basis to."

But, since the reports surfaced, neither Acta nor members of the team's front office have addressed the matter with the players. Asked if he thought the rumors would disrupt the clubhouse, Acta said, simply, "It hasn't yet."

"Obviously it's not easy going out there everyday with people writing about his job security, but we're all doing the best we can right now to not think about that," reliever Joel Hanrahan said. "It's nothing that he's doing wrong. He's not out there playing the game. He's doing everything he can."

---

Here's an excerpt from Manny Acta's pre-game press conference today, where he spoke at length about the rumors/speculation.

Q: The weekend has been a whirlwind for you. How are you feeling, and how do you feel about all the reports about your firing?

I feel great. I don't worry about rumors. Rumors or not rumors, when your number is up, your number is up. I don't spend time worrying about that, because if I worry and listen and answer to every one of the things that are gonna be said about me, I won't have enough time to prepare myself and put this club together. I can't control that. I just come here every day and prepare myself and prepare my club to play. I don't let that consume my whole time.

Q: Have you talked to the team about it?

No. And I don't have to. They don't have to be involved in everything. Everything that is out there -- what, are we gonna have a meeting every time everybody says something? They're playing hard. That series in Tampa was proof of it, and that's all we can ask for.

Q: Have you gotten any clarity from Stan about your job status?

No. I've been here for 2-1/2 years, and I don't have to be communicating with the people upstairs every day. I'm the type of guy who really doesn't need to be patted on the back every day to show up here with a good face, good attitude, and do what I'm supposed to do.

Q: If you look at this roster, it should be much better. Why hasn't it worked out?

I think the numbers are there. You win with pitching and defense, and it just hasn't been there for us. That's one thing, a lot of people are measuring progress when you're rebuilding on wins and losses, and that's not it. If you look at that roster from 2007 a lot of those guys aren't even in baseball now. I think this organization is heading toward the right direction. It shows with the starting pitchers we're throwing out there. It'll show. In 2007, we won more games than the Rays and the very next year the Rays went to the World Series. But I understand. The wins and losses, it's there. We have to live with it.

Q: Since the report came out on Saturday, have you spoken with anybody in the front office concerning it?

I spoke to them the same day, when it came out. Just same thing. It's a rumor.

Q: They assured you the report was inaccurate?

When they talked to me that day in Tampa, yes.

Q: Manny, as far as what it's like for you, is there a level of discomfort with not knowing?

I didn't know since spring training started. I'm not the only manager working on the last year of a contract, and like I said, I just show up to work every day. I don't need people patting me on the back. I'm comfortable in my skin. You're never going to have 100-percent approval, and you know, I'm prepared for all that. I'm just here to work every day.

Q: New York saw a bit of this last year with Willie Randolph, and the uncertainty with him seemed to creep into affecting the clubhouse. Are you worried at all that will affect your team?

It hasn't yet. If it does happen, it'll probably be a problem.

Q: So you haven't gotten any sort of vibe from the players in the clubhouse coming to you and saying, Hey, you doing OK? We're on your side.

Yeah, I have guys who, even sometimes they don't pay much attention to those rumors, and they have called me and said, 'Hey, what's going on?' And I said, Hey, it's just a rumor out there, and everyone who has managed in the game has had it in the past, and don't worry about it, I'm fine. Just play the game.

Q: What about the uncertainty? Would you rather a decision just gets made either way?

I have had 19 one-year deals in a row in my life, up until I had a two-year deal with the Mets in 2005. So I've been through this my whole career. I don't worry about that stuff. I'll be too selfish to be worrying about next year.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 16, 2009; 7:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: Man, Things Are Getting Predictable

Comments

Continuing from the previous post, these are the charities to benefit from the Buzz-a-thon:

www.pituitary.org.uk www.childrensnational.org

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

You still stink, Kearns!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Kearns please go away! Please!!

Posted by: FloresFan | June 16, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

What size are those pajamas Sabathia is wearing?

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

sweet. thanks austin kearns.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 16, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I'm not the only one who wanted to jump right on here and make a comment about Kearns GIDP. Classic.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | June 16, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

@baltova - Here's a story I read last year about CC's pinstripes.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 16, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Mayor Fenty, making a boondoggle of it. Wonder if he invited the Council along?

Posted by: nunof1 | June 16, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but what in Gawd's good name is Dunn doing in the outfield?!? In an INTERLEAGUE game?!? And where is Willinga-- oh, crap.

Nevermind.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 16, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Just my opinion, but NJohnson is rapidly moving from asset to liability at 1B - Even as well as he's hitting, it may be time for him to move along. If the team can get one-or-two AA/AAA pitchers/players for him over the next week or two, take it and move on. Drop Dunn in at 1B (cringe), and Willingham into LF (wince), or select Eldred / Langerhans to finish the season at 1B.

Posted by: BinM | June 16, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Strongly recommend that any of you with mlb.com subscriptions watch this game and listen to the yank's guy commenting on the game. Really very smart commentary on the Nationals. Not cheery but, an interesting and well informed discussion of us as a team.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

soundbloke, fill us in. What's he saying?

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, soundbloke, it sounds like you've discovered there is life outside the MASN universe of homers. Carp=crap, Dibble=drivel.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

And, yes Kearns, you STILL stink. I wish you would go away!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Going back a couple innings, can anyone believe Bob Carpenter actually thought that ground-rule double by Hernandez was actually a home run? He actually asked, on-air, if it was a home-run, even though it clearly bounced over the wall into the bullpen.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Now that's a HOMERUN for Hernandez!!!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Holy S! Hernandez!

Posted by: FloresFan | June 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

nice one, Anderson!

Posted by: Juan-John | June 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he was serious as he was semi-joking about the Mets series because it looked like the umpire made a home run signal (to him) and it is the same umpiring crew as that series.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 16, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

With respect to the late Jack Buck (the good Buck): I can't believe what I just saw.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Haha...going to break, Carpenter: "Anderson Hernandez going down the line in right, his second career home run." It was down the left field line, Bob.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse
-------------------
And that's why the MASN crew should be referred to as Crapenter & Dribble. Announcer FAIL.

Posted by: BinM | June 16, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh no a mistake! Automatic reason to include fail because it's the nationals' announcer! Look Zimmerman just swung and fouled. Bat FAIL. Swing FAIL. 1/3 of an at bat wasted FAIL.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 16, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I just like picking on Carpenter because he's an easy target :) I will admit it's a lot better with Dibble beside him instead of Sutton. I know everyone makes mistakes, but Carpenter makes a lot of them.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree BG.
(HOW FAR IS THIS ONE GOING? ... grounder to short)

Nice inning by Martis!

Posted by: HotNats | June 16, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

AK: Contact! Wow. Fly to right. 0-for-3, accounting for four outs.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Nats with a one-run leading heading to the 7th. Why do I feel they're going to lose this game, say, 5-3?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

@BGinVA: I jump on the MASN announcers a lot (probably more than they deserve), but I agree with you that Dibble is a more listenable "color" man than Sutton seemed to be. IMO, Sutton was a little pompous here - "You should listen to what I have to say; I'm a HOF player, dammit". I just wish Carpenter could co-ordinate what his eyes see & what his mouth spews on a regular basis as the play-by-play man.

Posted by: BinM | June 16, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

We're on our way.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Has Dukes EVER made a catch with any degree of difficulty ??? I am sure Dible will say "he's still learning"

Posted by: JT2009 | June 16, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Villone - three straight losses, now a blown save.

Posted by: BinM | June 16, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

That would have been a huge catch if he could have pulled it off.

Posted by: amorris525 | June 16, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

is it just my fan bias or are we playing with two completely different strike zones tonight?

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Elijah, try catching the ball with your glove hand.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Dukes gets to the ball but gets hit in the hand without the glove...(head shaking)...

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

They were talking about the problems with trading Johnson, and that he simultaneously has massive value (great bat, quality at bats) and no value (injury prone, declining defense). They also spent a lot of time talking about how Strasburg would have little leverage against any other team in the majors because he is a pitcher and has proven nothing. However, with the Nat's the combination of poor record, angry fan base and failure to sign previous first pick has given Boras leverage. They beleive though that Strasburg will sign because Boras clients sign.

They were also impressed by Martis facing a lineup like the Yanks for the first time.

Then they talked about how great the Yankes are for a long long long time.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Dukes: lost in space, frozen in time.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

This is a recording: You know, we may have said this sometime before this season, but that ball should have been caught. Tough play, but it should have been caught.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is a top quality RF, poor CF. Damn it!

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Dukes proves again, he can't make any type of difficult catch. Hey Bowden, nice 5 tool outfielder.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 16, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Lol @ baltova1

Posted by: amorris525 | June 16, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Might be the worst defensive team I've ever seen

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

"Dukes is a top quality RF, poor CF. Damn it!"

-Amen, Brother...Amen

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 16, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

God, our kingdom for a center fielder...he doesn't even have to hit a lick, just play a major league center field. Can it REALLY be so hard to find somebody who can play center???

Posted by: LeeM9308 | June 16, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

balitova

You ar damn right. Add 8 wins to our season if 'should have' was 'was'. And 8 wins isn't much for most teams but it would be 1/3 of all our wins.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Villone seems to be in the "fire Acta" camp, too.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | June 16, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez has a double and homer tonight. Might he think of bunting against CC? Oh, forgot, this is a Manny-managed team. Bunt is a four-letter word to Manny. Like loss.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Following from soundbloke above... I listened to a bit of the NY radio duo via XM and it was extremely interesting. They were complimentary towards Martis. End of 6, "I can't see why they'd take him out, unless his arm is sore". Also commented on the Yankees difficulty hitting a guy that's new to them - then said Villone is a pitcher they have faced.

Cue three hits and blown lead. I honestly think the 7th inning of this game might have put me over to the fire Manny side. Ugh.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Maxwell is our best CF and he CAN'T hit a lick

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

WHY MANNY? would you bring in another pitcher when the three scheduled hitters(Damon,Texeria,and Rodriguez) were a collective 0 for 7 against Martis let him lose his own game.this is why he should have been fired this past weekend.I don't give a rats ass if he's thrown 100 pitches let him try to finish what he starts!! DAMN!

Posted by: dargregmag | June 16, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

not to offer an opinion one way or the other about the number +- wins with a decent CF, but 8 wins is a ton for any team. It's the difference between top 10 pick (73-89) and .500 (81-81) and in the wild card hunt (89-73), or division champs (97-65).

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 16, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

If Justin was in this game we would be winning 3-2.

::he said with obvious blinkers on::

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I think taking out Martis was the right move. It's a team game and even as shaky as Villone was, if Dukes catches those two balls, nothing happens in that inning.

Now, let's hope Girardi gave us an opening here by taking out Sabathia without going to Rivera.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Zimm get that run back you gave up

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Cricket

It was not necessarily only decent fielding in CF but, decent fielding in all position (excluding Dunn, who we should play and accept for who he is).

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

must be nice to have players that can catch the ball and throw with accuracy

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, two nice defensive plays by the Yankees keep the Nats from scoring. Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

SB - not saying you're wrong. I agree we'd win a lot more games with a decent defense. Just simply saying that +/- 8 games is a huge swing for any team, including the Nats. For instance, +8 games and we'd be in danger of finishing 2nd in the Bryce Harper sweepstakes.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 16, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I have been an Acta supporter through it all, but I think I surrender. playing this line up, offensively and defensively when the DH could be used sealed the deal for me. Time for a change.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 16, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time the bullpen held a lead? It's so frustrating! They get a 3-2 lead against CC and the bullpen can't hold it, nothing new there though. It's the same old story every single night.. *sigh* Swept again.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey look, they have speed too!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Jeter? It's confusing on GameCast.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 16, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Yup you can't stop speed. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey look on the bright side, at least Kearns still has a shot at his season average of recording 5 outs per start.

Posted by: RickFelt | June 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

You are of course being the more thoughtful of the two of us.

But remember that the +/- is effected by the current ability of the team. Right now we have pretty spectacular '-' because of our terrible defense.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

*sigh!* the yankees are showing how REAL defensive baseball is played. hope the nats are taking notes tonight.

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Jeter landed funny turning a dp chance. Bit of a grimace when he came down and was lifted the next inning.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Everyome else has paid the price.The GM,all the coaches and numerous personnel moves.Why not Manny?Can't get any worse.

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"What happened to Jeter? It's confusing on GameCast."

...they don't really know - left ankle stiffness...according to the NY broadcast.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 16, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Pitch Count made his puppet dance yet again.

Posted by: RickFelt | June 16, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Watching Zim dive all over the field making plays (consistently great effort) and then watching the rest of the team field their position is very depressing.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Why do I feel they're going to lose this game, say, 5-3?

Posted by: jdschulz50

Psychic! Actually, who couldn't predict something along the lines? Same old, same old. Manny is on his way out soon.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Yanks are leading 5-3. Who could have forseen that? Oh, well, with the young hitters we have...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Yankees with 2-run lead in bottom of 8th and Rivera lurking in the bullpen. Goodnight, Gracie.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 16, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I think they'll let Manny take the Acela in the morning to clean out his locker in peace. Then enjoy the rest of his paychecks from home.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Villone, McDougal, GasCanHanrahan, these parts are all interchange-able.

Charlie just said this,"amazing how every button that Acta pushes seems to backfire". Hahahahah!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 16, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I've been following the Senators/Orioles(never rooted for them)/Nationals since the early 60s and I've never seen a worse defensive team.

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Martis 6 inn, 4 hits, 2 runs (1 earned)

Bullpen 1.2 inn, 4 hits, 3 runs

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Tippy

Gascanrahan?

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

It'll be a 1-2-3 top of the 9th, Nats goes quietly.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

So once again the Nats are losing after having a lead...... what are the odds they pull this out in the 9th ......oh 500 to 1 maybe?....... and no one is responsible they just are a bad bad bad baseball team that plays hard and doesn't quit and is lead by the best manager in baseball ........ is this the conclusion of the discussion from the past two days ??

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

They can't even be called loveable losers because they show absolutely no emotion.They just know in their hearts they're going to lose somehow some way.

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

The Martis line was 6 innings with 5 walks. (106 pitches, 53 for strikes) The bullpen still looks like it did a month ago. Wasn't changing pitching coaches supposed to have changed the pitching?

Posted by: miseaujeu | June 16, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Please don't make the Sawwwwx series out to be magical, MASN. It's going to be the most embarrasing week of a horrid year.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

A wise old baseball man once told me that coming into each season every team is going to win at least 54 games, lose at least 54 games and the success of your season is going to be determined how many of the remaining 54 games you win. Honestly, I have a hard time seeing this team winning the 38 games needed just to win 54 games this year. This is like driving past the same multi-car accident every day. Just horrific.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 16, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

What a sad, sad team. :/ I feel bad for the players, I also feel bad for myself, I really wonder why I still pay attention to them... hmmm..

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

oh great. now the nats cleanup hitter is having a hissy fit with the home plate ump. dukes needs to realize that rivera has a track record of success and he doesn't.

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I thought Dukes was fast??

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice lack of hustle, Dukes.

I don't even have the strength to get angry anymore. They deserve to be laughed at by 40,000 Red Sox frontrunners next week.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 16, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Dunn - SWING THE BAT !!!!

Posted by: JT2009 | June 16, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

You know you're screwed when Kearns is your last hope.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 16, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"Let's see how Nationals nation fares against Red Sox nation." -Bob Carpenter. lol. It's gonna feel like they're at Fenway Park.

Ugh... Dunn strikes out. I wish Teixeira came to the Nats instead, but I can't blame him.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

16-and-46. Suck on it and like it.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

3rd strike on Dunn...hey ump just kick us in the nuts why dontcha

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

we're screwed.

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

PERFECT PITCH !!!! Carpenter is a part of the circus of this team it was outside but we don't argue that do we ....on the most perfectly managed baseball team on the planet

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Ray Knight seem to care more than anyone in uniform

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Austin Kearns is terrible!

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The Nats are now a game behind the pace of the 1962 Mets. The Mets won their 62nd game to improve to 17-and-45.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Manny, the Yankees are professional baseball team, please take note.

Not ashamed to say that I have sold all of my Red Sox tickets. There is no way that I'm going to sit thru 27 innings of SAWX mannia at the expense of the home team. Thanks StanK, wasn't this all part fo the plan?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 16, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

What is Andruw Jones doing these days? I want a CF who can catch.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 16, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

The players don't care anymore, they don't play with any intensity, passion, or heart. That is really sad.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I have a theory on why Dunn has been sucking lately. He's trying to make Kearns feel better. It's a widely know fact that they are good friends. I contend that Dunn is tanking to make his friend feel less like a complete joke at the plate. Is there another way to explain his sudden amnesia when it comes to swinging. Thoughts?

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 16, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree Ray seem to me the only one who looks as if wants to cry or laugh or both ....besides myself that is....Johnny is all sugar sugar sugar coat

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Who knew this year could be worse than last year? Even though last year they had 102 losses, there were several memorable walk-offs, some great wins. This year, there has been nothing.

Posted by: rachel216 | June 16, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

is not the Yankees payroll this year equal to the last 5 years of total payroll for the Nationals

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It's time to blow this whole thing up and trade the fwew marketable players this team has and to release the rest of the deadwood. Lately, Nats; hitters have spent more time arguing with umpires than making solid contact.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 16, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

This might explain everything! He's supposedly well liked on the team, so everyone is trying to make him feel better.
---

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 16, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

villone has really fit in down in gasoline alley, has he not?

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

the only thing that would make this season worse would be if the individual games weren't competitve...at least they're usually close for 6 innings or so

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

You're absolutely right, hotrod2. Knight is the most passionate person associated with this club. Make him the mgr.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

This the most prepared to loose team in all of baseball ....day in day out they go out there and work real hard at losing ....and Manny is the best there ever was in getting his team prepared to lose in ways that had never been explored until now.. we should all be thankful at having such a talented team at losing.

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Any word on when Bernadina will be back? Let him get some AB's in the minors to get back on track, then DFA Kearns, stick Roger in CF and Dukes in RF and roll with it.

Posted by: jfromPG | June 16, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

CB

'specially since the nats are a game worse than the '62 mets at this point of the season. at least thursday's game is at 1:05 p.m. and we won't have to cry ourselves to sleep. i would say the nats should beat a pitcher with a 13.00+ era tomorrow night, but wang will probably shut them out.

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

(Big Sigh) Remember the glory days of Apr,May and June of 2005...brings tears to my eyes

Posted by: hotrod2 | June 16, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

surly_w yes they are just what any struggling pitcher or team needs are they not

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

hotrod2

Compared to this train wreck July, August, September and October of 2005 now also seem like halcyon days.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 16, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

And the high water mark was the Cubs series over the 4th of July and then wheels came off with Mets and the pumpkin returned

Posted by: hotrod2

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

is it just me, or does charlie sound like no sharp objects should easily be within his reach?

Posted by: surly_w | June 16, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Why does Debbie Taylor ask such stupid questions ....she always asks the Nationals player how great is it be playing where ever they are ...implying is it not great you don't have to deal with your home stadium because here is much better

Posted by: CBinDC | June 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

How about laying off Villone? At least he pitched well for a month before having some problems. That's more than anybody else in the bullpen.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's game was a microcosm of the season: bad defense, bad relief pitching and bad managing. The Lerners are going to kill the fan base and this franchise quicker than Peter Angelos has down it in Baltimore. It is going to take awhile to get loyalty from the fans in DC, and the time to act is now before things get even worse. The Lerners need to start with Kasten and move from there. Kasten is quick to blame everyone but himself. How can the media, and apparently the Lerners, not see through this guy? Washington can be a great baseball town, but we need strong management and a hope for the future. We do not have that now and with Stan in charge and leading the Lerners around by their nose, the franchise will continue to wither away!

Posted by: firestan | June 16, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

16-46. 30 games under .500 after just 62. 5-25 in their last 30. This team has been so bad, it is almost incomprehensible.

The next-worst teams in MLB are 10 games under .500. In order even to catch one of them so that they were only *tied* for worst team in MLB, the Nats would need to rip off a 10-game winning streak at the same time one of those teams lost 10 in a row. Nats haven't had a single month of playing .500 baseball since 2007.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | June 16, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

All this in order to draft a high school junior in the 1st round. Even burlap bags over the head won't do.

Posted by: periculum | June 16, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I think this is the real Villone you're seeing. Its why he was cast off by other teams.

Posted by: periculum | June 16, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Management doesn't have enough position players coming up. But, at this point Dunn, NJ plus Guzman (plus some pitching) might be the better trade value to get prospects who are almost ready.

I was wrong. If the Bosox want to part with their prized pitching for Dunn then they should go for it. They are going to need to start trying to build a team for next year before the trade value of these guys becomes negligible.

Noting that Guzman was at DH while Alberto manned SS.

Posted by: periculum | June 16, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

New Boz column:

And a question: What MLB FO will wanna hire Jim Bowden now, even if he's totally exonerated of all wrongdoing in the Dominican Affair? Teams don't even need to use JimBo's personality as an excuse -- they can SEE how craptastically the team he put together is playing right now.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 16, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping we can help send Chien Ming Wang back to the minors on Wednesday! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 16, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Suck on it and like it Manny

16-46

Don't see that but once every 50 years

Posted by: Brue | June 16, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

This joke of a season could have been avoided if the so called front office and GM had hired a real manager at the end of last season, it is almost laughable when i read some of the post on this blog defending Manny and it's pathetic when i see Stan Kasten statement "that we're all in this together" oh really!! looking at the way this whole season has been mismanaged from the front office on down i'd say speak for yourself Stan. This season has been a clustef#ck from opening day until the final pitch tonite. The Lastings Milledge experiment was the tip of the iceberg on this baseball ship Titanic aka the Natinals and it continued with the pyromaniac bullpen and its inept captain er manager. The best way to describe this debacle is to quote from player while his team was mired in a horrendous losing streak "this ship be sinkin".

Posted by: dargregmag | June 16, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

if kearns is gonna play, why not at least put him in cf? he filled in for griffey in cincy, and he's probably the most reliable fielder they have out there. Acta's gonna play him, so let's at least put his fielding to good use.

Posted by: kata1 | June 17, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

"But even that assurance does not solidify Acta's job, which now survives on a series-by-series basis."

Chico, you've gone too far here. Seriously, the previous sentence clearly states that his job is as secure as a baseball manager's job can be. To think up this sentence on your own for inclusion here is, despite what your earlier comments, either participating in the feeding frenzy or ... something worse.

You have done some really, really good work in your time on the Nats beat, please don't pull this kind of crap.

"He's still our manager. We support him. And all the reports that happened over the weekend, I don't know where those reports come from." What more do you want?

Posted by: ihatewalks | June 17, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse