More On Storen

Below, I'll post a transcript of the welcome-to-DC press conference with No. 10 first-round selection Drew Storen, who was live at Nats Park this afternoon. After acting GM Mike Rizzo introduced Storen (who was accompanied by his parents and sister), Storen came up to a podium, put on a No. 26 Nats jersey, and threw on a flat-brimmed, Cordero-like cap.

"He looks good in that," Rizzo said.

Some notes here...

* Storen is the first No. 1 pick to sign this year. Not surprising. The deal came together late last night. Storen and his fam were on a plane from Indianapolis to DC at 11 a.m. this morning.

* He'll report on Saturday to Class A Hagerstown.

* Storen really won team officials over last Thursday, when he appeared at Nats Park for a tryout. That visit came about after several members of Washington's scouting department, including assistant GM Bob Boone, crosschecker Deric Ladnier, and scout Bob Hamelin, had watched Storen's fantastic May 23 game against Oregon State (2-2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 8 K). And after that, they insisted that Rizzo had to see this guy. Thus, Storen flew out to DC. He was here for just more than 24 hours. Then it was back to Stanford for two more finals, in sociology (on Fri) and computer science (on Sun).

Now, the transcript:

---

Q: Mike, I'm just wondering, how surprised are you that you were able to get a deal done so quickly?

RIZZO: Well, you know, with Drew, like many of our prospects, signability before the draft -- we have discussions with multiple representatives and players, so we knew the parameters of Drew's interest level to sign a contract relatively quickly. He wanted to begin his professional career in a fast manner, because he believes, as do we here in Washington, that the sooner he signs the sooner he can be a quick-to-the-big-leagues type of performer.

Q: Drew, some people feel you can be in the big leagues quite quickly. How do you feel about the possibility?

STOREN: I'm excited, but I also know at the same time that my performance dictates whether that happens. I'm excited to go out there and prove to them that I am worthy of that, and I would love to help the Nationals win on the big league level.

Q: A lot of guys that get drafted are gonna take two months to sign. Why did you feel it was worthwhile to sign so quickly?

STOREN: I just wanted to get going. I miss playing. We didn't make the playoffs at school, and my arm is feeling great. I wanted to get going and really get that chance to help the Nationals win this year.

Q: What it is about the bullpen role, the closer's role, that you really gravitate to?

STOREN: I like being the guy on the mound, I like being the big winner and the big loser. I like being the guy who's responsible for what happens, and it's something I really enjoyed doing at Stanford. I'm really happy I'm going to be able to carry that on.

Q: Ryan Zimmerman, who has the same agent as you do, he was also a guy who signed quickly and was soon in the big leagues. Have you talked to him, or met him, and he was at all an influence on your thinking?

STOREN: I haven't met him yet, but I look forward to doing that. Actually, I like the path he took, but really the path I looked up to was Chad Cordero's. He was a guy that was a college closer, and I actually had an opportunity to meet him. I believe that within the first month he was called up as an Expo. Ever since I met him, he was a guy I looked up to. I really hope that's something I can do.

Q: When did you meet him?

STOREN: I believe that was in 2004, 2003.

Q: Where?

STOREN: I was actually a bat boy for the Expos. Whenever they would get around the Indianapolis area. It was in Cincinnati, and I believe it was in September. I was out in the outfield, and I just started talking to him, and he was talking about pitching in the College World Series and I just thought it was the coolest thing ever. He was pitching in college two months ago, and now he's here. When I started closing last year at Stanford, that was something I really put as my goal.

Q: Mike, is it easier for a reliever to come right out of college and keep his season going?

RIZZO: Well, there's nothing easy about this game and playing in the big leagues, that's for sure. I would say relieving is kind of an art in itself. Although they don't get four days off in between, they are people who have to be ready to pitch every day. And they have to get their work in every day. I don't believe it's any easier to be a quick guy to the big leagues.

Q: Drew, talk about the whirlwind.

STOREN: It's been a crazy ride. Even coming out here last week [for a tryout] and seeing the stadium, being able to throw in this beautiful new ballpark was just a great experience in itself. And yesterday, just, not being sure what was gonna happen and hearing my name called, it's an experience like none other and I don't think anything can top it... It's great to be here and it's great to be wearing this jersey.

Q: What is it about this organization that you like?

STOREN: Obviously the new ballpark. I've always been a Nationals fan. And a guy like Stephen Strasburg coming in, being associated with a young pitcher like that, there's going to be a lot of excitement associated with this team. This team is on the rise, I know that.

Q: Do you feel like it's a place where you might be able to make some dividends more quickly?

STOREN: Yeah, it's an opportunity, I feel like. And I like the fact that I can come in and be a reliever, and if I throw like I can I can be on a fast track to the big leagues. Like I said, that's been my dream since day 1.

Q: Mike, certainly the tenth pick had some unique things. No compensation if you weren't able to sign the player, and you also have Strasburg No. 1 to think about. Did those considerations make it all the more important to find a player (at 10) whose parameters would be reasonable?

RIZZO: Best player available. He was the next guy on the pref list on the board. We took the best player available, and it just so happens that we spoke at length after the draft with him and found a guy, his goals and aspirations met up with our timeframe, and he wanted to sign right away and just start his career. It had nothing to do with strategy or planning. He was next on our list, and we plucked him.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 10, 2009; 6:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: Olsen, Wells Look Strong in Rehab Appearances

Comments

MrMad called it on the cap brim.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 10, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: souldrummer | June 10, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, finals on Friday & Sunday, with time to report to Hagerstown on Saturday?? I like the kid already...

Posted by: -CN- | June 10, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

After reading, cool to know about the Cordero/Expos connection. Thanks, Chico.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 10, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to compare what Crow does and his slot bonus with what Storen ends up doing. I have a hard time believing that Storen is going to be nearly as dramatic an impact player as those picked around him. It appears the Lerners and Stan have some kind of total budget that factors in Strasburg and this frees them up to work on that.

I'm glad he'll be going to Hagerstown and here's hoping he become a Cordero+ closer. Wishing the best to Chad in Seattle as well as he continues with his career.

It seems to me if you're using this pick on a reliever, one of our hopes should be that the veterans in our bullpen such as Villone and McDougal continue to pick well so that we have the opportunity to trade them in a Stanton for Martis type deal later on in the year. We trade a veteran and convert him to a more reliable AA prospect.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 10, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

"...it just so happens that we spoke at length after the draft with him and found a guy, his goals and aspirations met up with our timeframe, and he wanted to sign right away and just start his career."

"I've always been a Nationals fan. "

hmmm......

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 10, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

>>More of the best player available garbage. Folks, signability factors into your decisions and it's time you admit it.Posted by: souldrummer

Exactly. Just give us some truth. All we want is the truth. Why lie? There's no way, unless they had talked with the kid beforehand and knew where they were gonna be drafting him and that they didn't have to worry about anyone else drafting him could they have gotten this together so fast.
He wasn't next on any board but the Nats. He wasn't even listed in the first round for anyone. Personally I couldn't care less one way or the other. But lying about it is so ridiculous.
Meet the new GM same as the old GM.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 10, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Some more thoughts on Storen (I know... *groan* here goes SoT again...). My first reaction wasn't a good one. Having seen how the rest of the draft played I think they made the right call. Whether it pans out or not is still something we'll have to see. But:

Upside
------
- Great K/BB ratio.
- Great BAA.
- No history of injury.
- Overall numbers look good.
- Seems to have been successful at every level so far.

Downside (or "wait-and-see" side)
---------------------------------
- Not a mind blowing ERA at 3.80 this year.
- Had 9 wild pitches this season. Quite a lot more than most others in the Pac-10.
- Pac-10 the last two seasons hasn't been a tough conference overall.
- In the post-season in 2008 Storen stuggled with a 5.64 ERA in 3 games.

Is that worthy of a 10 pick? In this year's draft and considering what was left on the table and what our needs are I'd say yes. His numbers show he might struggle as the competition gets harder. But then this is all stuff on paper. He obviously impressed them so there's reason to be positive.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | June 10, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

>>He obviously impressed them so there's reason to be positive.Posted by: SaveOurTeam

Why. Why do they get the benefit of the doubt. What golden nuggets have they unearthed? Who have they discovered that no one else knew about.....Austin Kearns and Flop from Cinci? Paul LoDuca from the Mets? Willingham and Olsen from Florida? Milledge from NY? This team has won 13 freakin games. Is closer even a priority?
So they draft this guy that no one had even being picked in the first round and they take him with the 10th pick overall and whataya know, he signs immediately. Surprise Surprise.
Just wondering.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 10, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

>>I like being the big winner and the big loser.

Oh no you dint.

Posted by: dovelevine | June 10, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PattyinSJ | June 10, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Would still like to hear why they passed on Alex White (rated higher by just about everybody.

Or for that matter Grant Green? If they're drafting for need, Green at Shortstop fills an institutional need and is much closer to the majors than the later MI picks the Nationals drafted.

This guy may turn out alright and I hope he does, but this front office has made far too many "iffy" decisions, especially where money is concerned, for me to not think something fishy is going on.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire...

Posted by: DesertNat | June 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

And for less money at that slot than is the norm. I agree he's not a true #10. And I still question whether he has the cajones to handle a closers job.

Still I wouldn't draft any HS pitchers. So what did that leave? I wouldn't have minded if they took a strong position player instead but were there any left?

He seems to be a good fit for something we desperately need. But I agree the FO has not given us many (any?) reasons to trust them.

Whatever. He's signed now... on his way to Hagerstown soon... let's hope he pans out.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | June 10, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

i don't understand why people are upset with this kid. he seems smart and ready. nobody is proven capable. there are plenty of things to be angry about in this world, but a kid regarded as the best closer available signing as quick as possible to pitch for your team? a position we desperately need? wow.

it's in the bank folks. celebrate. enjoy. and we still have strasburg on the way. this isn't the only pick. bunch of party poopers in here! if the kid didn't sign i would be upset but we made the best of the situation.

go nats!

Posted by: longterm | June 10, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

the "idiots" at baseball america are saying the nats might have the best overall draft of anyone.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 10, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Question:
Who here thinks the Nats are gonna sign Strasberg? And if so, for how much?

Who here doesn't think we'll sign him?

Posted by: dovelevine | June 10, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Anyone having any problems getting MASN2 on Comcast in VA tonight? I got nothin' right now.

Posted by: righteousfist | June 10, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for a rain delay so that at least some of the game will be seen on MASNHD. The picture quality on MASN2 is absolutely horrendous

Posted by: amorris525 | June 10, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

They'll sign him. When and how much is the only issue. With Parasite, sorry Boras in the mix who knows what that will be.

They do have some leverage at least. They helped Boras out with Texiera's contact last year whether they meant to or not.

I had said $28 mil. I think if there's a year when Boras is going to blow the signing bonus history this is the one. I really hope it's no more than $10 - $15 mil but won't be at all surprised if it's near my initial prediction.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | June 10, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg will sign. I will bet my posting rights on this board on it.
The number will probly be somewhere between $15 and $20 mil, and it won't be done until sometime in August, but it will happen.
And while it scares me a little that that sounds dangerously close to something Jimbo has said regarding Strasburg, I'm gonna stick with it anyway.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | June 10, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I've got nothing but blackness on channel 77 in Alexandria. Did they move it again?

Posted by: righteousfist | June 10, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

He knows they need relievers. He knows they don't really have a closer. He figures he may have the best chance to get to the "bigs", the show fast with this team than with any other. And ... he may be right on.

Posted by: periculum | June 10, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Of course the Nats will sign Strasburg! They will have to, so that they save what is left of their season ticket base. I said the same thing last year about Crow, and was wrong.

My number has been $20 million, but who knows? It could be higher, as part of a multi-year contract even stretching several years out.

The Nats should use Strasburg as a means to propel them to respectability and beyond. But it appears they are balancing the Strasburg money against cost cuts elsewhere. If that is what they are doing, it's a pity.

Posted by: EdDC | June 10, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

"Who here thinks the Nats are gonna sign Strasberg? And if so, for how much?"

I bet we don't... and it won't matter one way or the other by next year.

Posted by: TWTIB | June 10, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Just one man's synopsis, but here's my raw spin on the draft so far...

Signable picks (College Sr or JC grad) = 11/31
Minimum risk (College Jr / HS without letter of intent) = 10/31
Medium risk (College Soph / HS without L.I.) = 6/31
High risk (College Jr / HS with L.I.) = 4/31
Already under contract = Storen - RHRP (medium risk).

By position -
P (SP or RP) = 20/31 (6LH, 14RH)
Catchers = 0
Corner IF (1B-3B) = 2
Middle IF (2B-SS) = 7
Outfielders = 2

Looks about right, based on need & creating overall depth; I'd look for more OF's & a Catcher or two on day 3 of the draft. I personally think Rizzo & his group is doing a good job of selections in order to "re-stock the shelves". Draft NCAA-experienced players, get deeper in the minors & see what shakes out.

Now I need to go back & read the earlier shrapnel (posts).

Posted by: BinM | June 10, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

>I hope he does great - I'm rooting for him already! Good luck and welcome to the Nats!

He throws 95 - how bad could he be, especially if he has a second pitch too. Too late now, he's on the fast track. He says he's had plenty of rest, so put him in there. Work him out at Hagstown and bring him up.

Posted by: Brue | June 10, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

dovel, SOT: The Nationals will make Strasburg (& Boras) an "over the top" offer of somewhere between $18-$22M total, with somewhere between a $12-$15M bonus, IMO. Boras will probably kvetch, posture, play the media, threaten to take his client elsewhere, and anything else he can come up with, but will ultimately sign sometime after August 10th. Strasburg will come to Washington in Sept. (starting his Arbitration clock), then go the fall leagues to get his arm back into shape.

We'll see him next in Viera, 2010 & the FO/MGR will make a decision on whether or not he's ready for MLB then.

Posted by: BinM | June 10, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

He might not pitch like Strasburg but he sure interviews better.

If he becomes Cordero in a month, everyone will forget where he got picked. Sounds like a real smart young man who knows the right things to say.

Posted by: derwink | June 10, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Brue: I called in last night during the rain delay & tried to ask about 1) who repped Storen, and 2) whether or not the guys on the phone (not Charlie & Dave) thought Strasburg & Storen would get "fast-tracked" to the big club - They offered up some "blah-blah-blah" about the top-two & had no clue about Storen's agent (Van Wagenen).
IMHO, Strasburg (if / when signed) is in the majors by early 2010 (maybe as a RP initially), and Storen could be up by mid-season, 2010.

Posted by: BinM | June 10, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

RIZZO: "Well, you know, with Drew, like many of our prospects, signability before the draft -- we have discussions with multiple representatives and players, so we knew the parameters of Drew's interest level to sign a contract relatively quickly."

"Best player available. He was the next guy on the pref list on the board. We took the best player available"

- - - -
Those are 2 sets of Mike Rizzo's words. Kind of hard for me to fit those together, and I think I know which one was the little white lie. Word of advice to Rizzo- don't tell the truth and lie about the same issue in the same interview. It's much easier to see through your BS that way.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | June 10, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

good call MrMadison ... From Fan House Blog ... "The experts [baseball america] agreed that any discussion of who fared the best on Tuesday has to start with the Nationals. They obviously got Stephen Strasburg, who was the best player in the draft and arguably the best player in the history of the draft. They also got Stanford reliever Drew Storen at No. 10, whom Manuel called a "solid college pitcher with ability." And in the third round they picked University of Georgia right-hander Trevor Holder, an easy-to-sign senior who throws 94 mph.

mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/06/10/mlb-draft-2009-who-hit-who-missed/

Posted by: heezy | June 10, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

And as it stands if we're going get a reliable offense we're going to be headed back to the FA/trade market before ST 2010.

Martis is throwing a good game and with the best we have to offer for the lineup (for 1 - 6 at least) we can't get him any run support.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | June 10, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

@heezy:
Not to be a nit-picker, but Holder was a 4th-round pick. And please drop the p.o.c. links from futher posts to this blog.

Posted by: BinM | June 10, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

"Rizzo is obviously not GM material. Great for scouting and I think he should stick to what he's great at. It's a serious issue because working the FA/trade market I believe is much different from working a draft."

SOT: WH-A-A-T? The team is in the middle of the 2009 Amateur draft; Rizzo is doing what he's supposed to do - re-stocking a relatively barren franchise with players. They may not be the best based on Baseball America's "list", or in KLaw's mind, but there are some solid players among those drafted to date.

Regardless of what occurs in this year's draft, the Nationals were probably going to be players in this year's FA market, given the number of current players on the last year of their ML contracts, so what's your point?

Posted by: BinM | June 10, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

>Strasburg (if / when signed) is in the majors by early 2010 (maybe as a RP initially), and Storen could be up by mid-season, 2010.

Yeah somebody mentioned the fact that Storen gave up about 500k in exchange for starting his arbitration clock very soon. If they promised to do that, you probably would see him after Sept. 1 when the rosters expand. Otherwise, he'll be in the mix next spring, and probably make the team if he throws strikes. Strasburg - sometime during the season next year. If Boras makes him screw this season, because he could easily get another 40-50 innings, which will only help his stamina next year, then he won't be in the rotation when spring breaks next year.

Posted by: Brue | June 10, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Is $20-25M guaranteed really a good investment for an unproven pitcher? At what point is the risk associated with a draft oick (any draft pick, not just Strasburg) too great to invest that kind of money?

Understandably, any pitcher may fall victim to arm problems, but $20M to a guy that has never thrown a pitch in the big leagues? I mean he is no sure thing...

Somebody help me out here... AJ Burnett brought $82M over a four year deal. Isn't that $20.5M per season. He is a proven arm without the need for seasoning and development. You get an immediate return. No AAA for him, stick him in the rotation, he's ready to go.

Why not just pass on first rounders that demand that kind of money and sign a free agent pitcher with the dough you save? What is Boras saying? That Strasburg is worth $40M?

No way, I would rather invest $82M in a proven quantity and get an immediate return the spend $20M on a signing bonus for someone that is unproven and by Mike Rizzo's own admission not ready for the big league's.

I could definitely live with a draft pick at lower signing numbers... I could go with Storen, no problem, that makes financial sense. $1.6M is a long way from $20-25M.

But at $20M plus, I would pass and invest my money in the free agent market?

Anybody else see things the way I do? What is it that I don't understand?

Posted by: muddapucker | June 10, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what you meant here, BinM. Would this be point of contact links? Perhaps I missed something in an earlier post, but as regards heezy's post above, I find it helpful when people post URLs for material that they've quoted in a post. In fact, I'd rather see a link and just a snippet of the material posted, given copyright considerations.

---

@heezy:

Posted by: BinM | June 10, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 11, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

This is so much FUN! Watching them build this ballclub. It is so very cool.

Help on the way, well, I know only this, I've got you today.
Don't fly away, cause I love what I love and I want it that way.
I will stay one more day, like I say, honey its you.
Making it too, without love in a dream it will never come true.

Go Nats! Have FAITH people!

Posted by: dand187 | June 11, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse