Notes On Today's Matchup, Plus Acta Quotes

The Washington Nationals are aiming for their third straight win. Can you believe it? A victory tonight would tie the Nationals' previous season-high win streak. They won three in a row from May 7-9. Since that high point, Washington has won a total of eight games.

The Toronto Blue Jays, winners of three straight, are throwing left-hander Brian Tallet (4-4, 3.55 ERA). Nick Johnson is hitting .333 (23 for 69) against left-handed pitchers this season. Among left-handed batters in the National League, only Los Angels Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre (.416) and Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto (.372) are hitting lefty pitchers better than Johnson.

In other news, Josh Willingham will rejoin the Nationals tomorrow. Willingham used the full seven days while on bereavement leave following the death of his brother, Jon, in a car accident in Alabama.

And, finally, here are some snippets from Manager Manny Acta:

With the pitching doing so well, does that help you configure your line up defensively?
Still, you need to score runs to win ball games. We haven't been doing that as of late. Our offense is not the same we've had here the first month and a half or so ago here. That being said, we're not going to sit Adam Dunn to have Willie Harris play left field. That' not apart of the plan here.

What is the situation in the out field?
It's a day-to-day thing, whatever makes more sense. Today Willie's there because this guy has had more of a problem against lefties more than righties so we took the opportunities to put Willie there. Tomorrow they have another guy pitching for them that has struggled a little bit against righties, and chances are we're going to start righties out there.

What role has Steve McCatty, the new pitching coach, played in the recent performance of the starting pitchers?
Steve is familiar with those guys. You're not going to get me stay anything wrong about Randy, because I thought Randy did a tremendous job. They're just different how they do things. I think being familiar with most of those guys who pitched for him in Triple A just helps. And he keeps things simple for them. At the end of the day, they all have to get it done.

How important were those wins against the New York Yankees?
It's a big thing, but also after every game we say enjoy it for 30 minute and get ready for the next one. It doesn't become as big if today we start falling back to where we were a couple of days ago. We still have to take the next step and put together some wins in a week.

By Mark Viera  |  June 19, 2009; 7:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: They Won . . . Again

Comments

Mark: Thanks for the fish; I think a lot of the regulars might be at tonight's game, so postings might be a little light.

Nice to hear that Manny didn't throw the Saint "under the bus"; He really seems to care about his guys, imo.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, it looks like Gorman is calling a narrow strike-zone tonight.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 19, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

So far so good Z-mann looks good. Yeah HP ump is sueezing Z-mann.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't type tonight. I mean't "squeezing"

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Note from Stan:

"Re: the "shadow ump" -- I don't care. If they paid $300, they can do whatever they like!"

Personally I'm wondering if they just don't trust the screen at Nats Ark!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

natsfan: "Not at the game but watching from downstairs. What's with the shadow ump in the stands?"

Must be a pleasure sitting behind those two dumbasses.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 19, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

@chris88: At least Gorman is calling the same zone for both players, so far.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Oops, self-correct - meant teams, not players.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you're right. I am just always on the defensive WRT blue. I just feel like they never give the Nats ANY respect.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

How many extra pitches for Z'mann due to the Hernandez error? 7

-- nibbling, nibbling

Yuck. Pitcher helped him out by swinging at the first pitch!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Minimal damage, mo. I am definately enjoying zimmermann's performance!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I saw this on mlbtraderumors.

-One GM thinks the Nationals are demanding too much in return for their players. He says they want "a dollar and a quarter for a dollar."
-As Heyman points out, interim GM Mike Rizzo has an especially tough role, since his job isn't secure.
-Heyman says the Nats will make an announcement on a full-time GM this season. Rizzo has a good shot at the position.

Posted by: derwink | June 19, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

What are they making bats with, particle board???

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Nats have committed at least one error in ten of their eighteen wins.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 19, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

They should be asking a lot. it's early. Lets see what happens between now and 7/31.
rally going!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Way to help your own cause, JZimm!

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Guz.....

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully that sprint didn't take any gas out of Z'mann. Get a quick inning and head out for another!

Guz has let his NY success get to his head or something.

Nice shot by Willie - would've been a triple, with the Rios bobble, even before the missed cut-off.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

hey when can we get an Obama pres running in that stupid race???

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@derwink: Heyman could have a vendetta against the Nationals, since he picked up on & supported Rosenthal's "Acta's a Dead-Man walking" story (that hasn't happened yet). Now he's just trying to smear Rizzo with JBow's tactics, imo.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"If they paid $300, they can do whatever they like!"

I think face value is $400 each for those front row seats, the Canadian dollar must be riding high.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | June 19, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Stammen got through five innings in just over fifty pitches.

Zimmerman's on 87.

No knock on Cheese - I love the way he battled back from a 3-0 count in that last Wells AB. But Stammen was cruising last night.

Let's hope for a quick sixth from Zimm.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 19, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

All of our starters are pitching like they plan on staying awhile. That is one of things that gives me hope as a Nats fan.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: those "umps" in the stands,

I recall seeing them (or two guys just like them, same seating spot) a couple of months ago on an ESPN highlight of a Blue Jays game, doing their calls. It was a funny highlight, and if it is the same duo, I gotta give them props for traveling well in supporting their team!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

MASN2: My MASN2 has been out of service for 2 weeks, and Comcast can't tell me why. I have Comcast digital and live in NW DC - is anyone else having this problem?

If you can believe it, I want to watch the Nats - so frustrating!

Posted by: ignoreland | June 19, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear it, Ignoreland, it's at least a Comcast issue, I'd figure — MASN2's coming through fine (albeit not in hi-def) on RCN-digital here in NW DC...

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

MASN2 is fine in Montgomery County.

Posted by: MKadyman | June 19, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@chris88: Obama doesn't get into the Presidents' race until he gets his visage carved in a mountain. I'm still trying to reconcile how T. Roosevelt ranked over FDR in the artist's vision, and it's ultimate projection, the Presidents' race.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Hard to tell from the replay of that run, did Bard catch that throw blocking the plate or in front of it? I know it was too late to catch the runner regardless, just curious...

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BinM!!! And John you were right on the pitch count. 106 for 5 2/3 is way too much.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I am not getting the game either. I just got Verizon FiOS in Fairfax County, and it looks like there is no MASN 2 option. If anyone knos differently, please let me know. Sounds like JZ did ok, not great? I noticed a lot of pitches and not too many strikeouts?

Posted by: Willy2 | June 19, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Here, hear! Or "hear, here!" or "hear, hear!"

Or even just: "What he said!"

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:28 PMH

Posted by: ihatewalks | June 19, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@ignoreland: Run a re-scan on your box - that might solve it. The switch from Analog to Digital signals screwed up users at different times.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Presidents Club Seat: $300
20 oz. cup of lite beer: $7.50
"Accidentally" spilling your beer all over a couple of ump-wannabe dumbasses in the front seats: Priceless.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 19, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Presidents Club Seat: $300
20 oz. cup of lite beer: $7.50

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 19, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Send Harris !!! we need to make something happen

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, something happened.

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

More on (not moron) fake umpires:

or, if you prefer shorter:

Posted by: ihatewalks | June 19, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

warning track power, anyone???

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Kearns - UGH. A deep fly out, but Carlson gave him three BP pitches (middle of the plate, nothing higher than 89mph) in a row to get it. That's just sad.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

By the way JT, sorry for the snark, I totally agreed with you to send him.

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Unless the Nationals' bat around to him, leave Taverez in to start the 8th - just keep Beimel warm.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice Hustle!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Ummm. I didn't know that the manager is allowed to come out and argue a call. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Here is our chance for taking the lead, come on Nick, Zimm and Dunn

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Way to go NJ! 3 for 3 tonite!

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

THAT was beautiful,Nick!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

It is time. C'Mon ZIMMM!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

If you have FiOS it should be Channel 1

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | June 19, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I am no feeling good with Dukes up with the bases loaded. I hope I am wrong.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

ignoreland: Some weeks ago, my Mom was not getting the MASN2 feed from Comcast in P.G. County. I called Comcast for her and they told me they were broadcasting the feed that MASN sent them. I then called MASN and told them of the trouble with Comcast in P.G. They actually took my phone number and called Comcast. MASN called me back about 30 minutes later and said that Comcast had programed the wrong codes into their system. When that happens, the channel that should be showing MASN2 reverts the whatever the default programming is on the channel that is supposed to be showing MASN2. Hope this helps.

I wish you luck and hope you get the feed soon!

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | June 19, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

wtf was that??? just grab some bench Elijah. can't hit that.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

To hit a baseball, one must swing. Damnit!

Posted by: jfromPG | June 19, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Guys, take the bats off the shoulder.
Three frozen pizzas, sheesh.

Posted by: patchss | June 19, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

How can our 3, 5 and 6 hitters not swing with 2 strikes on them, and bases loaded! Unbelievable.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Imjustlikemusiq

Thanks, dude. It wasn't listed that way on the channel lineup, but you are dead on right.

Willy

Posted by: Willy2 | June 19, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Close game. Bullpen. Yikes!

Posted by: periculum | June 19, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Has there ever been a worse clutch hitting team in history? Golden Boy Zimmerman has failed to deliver in the clutch time and time again. Then Dukes and Bard follow suit. Is this team afraid to raise expectations by winning three in a row?

Posted by: p-man | June 19, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie drops a routine one. Three called third strikes with runners on third. OUCH. I guess the old Nats are back. Fire Manny! (just wanted to be the first to say it)

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie just booted one. Zim, Dukes and Bard watch strikes go by with ducks on the pond. I am getting that hopeless, sinking feeling again.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

We're ba-a-a-a-ack!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Klinkety-klank - I hear the sound of baseballs striking metal, where only a day ago, there was leather.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Quick, close your eyes and pretend we are in Yankee Stadium. Maybe that will work for them.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

There's no place like Yankee Stadium, there no place like Yankee Stadium... (while clicking my ruby slippers together).

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

C'MON, BLUE!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

MASN2 is working in NE DC on Comcast. But I've often wondered if these issues people are mentioning is partly to blame for the low TV ratings. Sometimes it's hard to find the game in the channel listing. Like tonight, the game is on MASN2, but the guide on my Tivo says "Tonight from Washington". I wonder if CSPAN2's ratings peak between 7:00-10:00 most nights.

Posted by: psubman | June 19, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Nick's drive hits the top of the wall, then we look at 3 straight third strikes. Only the Nats...

We MUST have the worst record in baseball with runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Back to the usual question - how will we find a way to lose tonight?

Posted by: LeeM9308 | June 19, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

What's with the preponderance of outside pitches? Except for Taverez's duster in the 7th, almost everything has been outside.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Ugh... Hanrahan is ready in the pen. Fire Manny now, please.

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

LeeM9308: Grounder to the infield, good throw to home and Bard drops the ball applying the tag. (just a prediction).

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

LeeM9308: Or we walk home the go-ahead (and winning) run, on a close 3-2 pitch that is really a strike, but we get the shaft on the call.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Twinbrook: "Fire Manny!".

I don't want you to be the lone voice in the wilderness.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Bases full; Villone screws the pooch for the 5th time in two weeks, and Hanrahan in with the bases loaded - Goodnight, Gracie; I can't take this, I'm outta here.

Posted by: BinM | June 19, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I am fearful of the walk in of the go ahead run. Come on Hanrahan prove me wrong

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Give em heck Manny!

Posted by: patchss | June 19, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice play, Zimm, and nice nsfw word exclaimed too! Dammit, looked to me like they had him at first.

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan, in a close game????? Are you kidding me???

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

The Nats should write a book entitled "Ways How to Blow a Baseball Game: A True Story"

Posted by: rxs85 | June 19, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Come on Manny, get fired up !!! not going to happen

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Phew, we may win this game yet.

Posted by: patchss | June 19, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, right on, right on, right on.
Let's not load the bases and leave 'em as souvenirs this time around, allrighty?

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

We got hosed again and Manny is actually out of the dugout!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Good play Zimm. Too bad we couldn't double em up.

Hey - so I am wrong in my predictions (so far), thank heavens!

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

but they were able to get out of the inning thankfully!

Posted by: rxs85 | June 19, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Can anybody remember a more important two outs for Joel Hanrahan this year in a nonsave situation?

Incredible!

Posted by: souldrummer | June 19, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

On a nice side note, the O's got 3 runs in the top of the 9th against the Philthies to make it 7-2.

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

bigmook - guess Bard wasn't listening. But right on otherwise!

Joel comes thru - surprising. Maybe we can get to extra innings. Oh wait...

Posted by: LeeM9308 | June 19, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Now that is being a valuable member of a ballclub Hanrahan! Way to sling that f'ing horsehide in there!!!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected. ;) nice job Hanrahan. Here's where the true Nats fan comes out: "Where the HELL has that been?"

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

LeeM9308: Since I seem to have my mojo predictions working tonite, let try another - Patterson comes out of his slump and tag one good -- maybe even a homer.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Okay boys. Somebody put the take sign on for Guzman. Let's get a run!

Posted by: souldrummer | June 19, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Iswear I typed that last one before he got the base hit. Now Guzzie tags one and the rally starts.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

someone mentioned extra innings...NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie fans. My mojo is gone.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on MASN2.

@BinM, I did a re-scan to no avail.

Called Comcast again, they again resent a signal, no luck. They are sending technician, though I have a feeling it is a signal issue so am not sure what a tech can do.

@NickfromGermantown & others, I don't ever even get the CSPAN2 feed. All signal on that channel (79) is down all the time.

Thanks anyway everyone.

Posted by: ignoreland | June 19, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

WILLLIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 19, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

OK... we need a f'ing run here guys. Hanrahan deserves this W.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Awesome play, WILLIE, now it is time, IT IS TIME!!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Please !!!! Manny, never play Dukes in CF again. Great play Willie.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

(Joining RC):

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I smell walkoff.

Posted by: patchss | June 19, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Nats up. Heart of the order. Now, guys, swing the bat once and awhile.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

AMEN JT. you just see things getting better with a better defensive lineup, Our pitchers aren't that bad with Harris or Paterson out there. I would even take it a step further, Jim edmonds and Kenny Lofton are unemployed.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I guess Zimm had to swing at anything close the way this HP ump is calling them.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

HP ump is awful!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Come on Dunn - crush one!

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

lol, I gotta say those chucklehead umps in the stands have it down, they even pantomimed pulling the new ball out of their pockets...

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Gosh.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | June 19, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Bonus baseball everyone, tray tables in their upright and locked position...

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Why the helllll hasn't someone throat-punched the a$$clown$ behind homeplate yet? In any other stadium they'd be attempting to identify their remains in the morgue by now.

Seriously. This is part of the stadium experience. Where else in MLB would you see this crap?!?!

Get those morons out of here.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Did Acta just pull Dukes for Gonzales??? Why?

Posted by: thegraneys | June 19, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

RicketyCricket: OK! I see you held back some. Now tells how you really feel about those fake umps.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Dukes was pulled in a double switch prior

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | June 19, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Manny being Manny (oh sorry wrong Manny) just had Gozo PINCH HIT for Dukes.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, my mistake.

Posted by: bigmook | June 19, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Allrighty boys, let's get it done, and get those fans there some bonus fireworks!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

And RC, I'm curious if those Toronto-fan "umps" were at Philly for that sweep, I'd be shocked if your suggested treatment of them wasn't played out in full.

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Scariest six words in sports:
Jesus Colome is on to pitch.

Or you can call him Column B.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 19, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Not that it is our problem, but what the hell is wrong with the Phillies? I think I know the answer. Starting pitching. BTW, MLB network is running a show on the Phillies bullpen. Can You imagine such a show on th Nats bullpen??? I think it would be awesome. you would have Tavares and his beergoogles and the insanity that is Beimel-Villone-magDougal. And how could I forget Jesus C. and his "lower body fleshy part injury" I think our show would be way more entertaining, or have had too many adult beverages? ;)

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

MLB network just said "they have unbelievable arms in that organization" about the Nats! (They have a tendency to overstate things quite a bit, but still...)

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 19, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Waiting for my neighbors to complain about the expletive I just yelled...

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

The "fake umps" are lucky I wasn't sitting next to them. OK... I wouldn't have done a darn thing but complain to the nearest usher and even that is dependant upon being loaded enough to overcome my crippling shyness.

Anyone believe that? Me either. Some idiots just don't deserve to draw breath from the same scuba tank as the rest of us.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, our defense stinks.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 19, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

jESUS C. = Human rain delay.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

This keeps getting worse.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 19, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The snake has bared its fangs and is ready to strike folks.

Are we to be bitten yet again>

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

NO BALKS! WHY?!?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 19, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Whew!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 19, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 19, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

In Spanish?!?!? it's Portugease for God's sake Dibs. Come on. You played. You know this stuff sir!!!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Benefit of watching Nats on TV:
Adult beverages into extra innings. Imagine sitting through Colome after last call was 1.5 hours ago!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

We have to win it here. There's no way our bullpen gives us another scoreless inning.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 19, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me the double switch wasn't so that Colome can pitch multiple innings? It's not going to be pretty if they don't score here...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 19, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

These guys can't waste this miraculous bullpen performance. Get this inning to Zimmerman so FOF can get a walkoff!

Posted by: souldrummer | June 19, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Something to think about - anyone else think Colome's slow-motion had something to do with the grounder that got past Zim and resulted in the 2B move? (that became 3)

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

The bullpen is down to MacDougal, and he's pitched three straight days. We're doomed if we go another inning...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 19, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"I hope there's somebody looking at this video somewhere at headquarters."

Are your sure Dibs? They speak Portugease in the DR sir... not Spanish.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"OK, Manny, you got your life-and-death inning out of Column B. Now, get him the hell out of there for the 12th. Who we got left out there? McD?"

MacDougal is not likely to pitch tonight. They are not likely to use him for the fourth day in a row. Hold onto your hats. We're likely stuck with Colome.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 19, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

MacDougal is unavailable because he's already thrown 3 days in a row. Acording to Dibs Manny NEVER throws relievers on 4 consecutive days.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Mo- adult beverages are a "must have" for Nats fans.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Mo, diggin' the Sam Adams here!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Mo- Have a bourbon and Maalox on me! A double, please.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 19, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Mo- Have a bourbon and Maalox on me! A double, please.

Posted by: jdschulz50

-----------------------------------------

So would that be a Bourbon on the lox?

(sorry, extra innings does this to me)

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Charlie/Dave are to Filet Mignon as

Carp/Dibs are to a double 1/4 pounder with cheese.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Rickety - why are you insisting DR speaks portuguese? That's ridiculous. Only Brazil in the W. Hemisphere.

Adult Beverages talking some smack, but DR is ALL about espanol.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I passed out after Hanrahan got out of the inning and just now came to. Have the Nats blown it yet? No? WTF?

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

That looked like the pitcher threw his glove at the ball. I am thinking that should be a triple, but the umps would never give the Nats a call.

Posted by: chris88 | June 19, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

PAGING LENNY HARRIS PAGING LENNY HARRIS TO THE NATS DUGOUT!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | June 19, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Bourbon on the Lox!
Nice one, HotNats!

Yes, this has called for bourbon - started at 7th inning stretch. Didn't expect to get through all these tho!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I know, the Learners are so cheap that they orchestrated extra innings to get out of shooting off the fireworks. That's gotta be it!

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

mo_dc - you are correct sir... i was thinking Brasil no doubt.

All apologies.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Okay, now let's do this!

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Easily amused
Find my nest of salt
Everything is my fault
I'll take all the blame
Aqua seafoam shame
Sunburn with freezeburn
Choking on the ashes of her enemy

In the sun
In the sun I feel as one
In the sun
In the sun
Married, Maried, Maried!
Buried!
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

All in all is all we are

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

C'mon you big DUNN-KEY, just a fly ball, please, and the bourbon and Maalox will be on me!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 19, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

If Adam Dunn doesn't drive in the winning run here he should refund his game check.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

RIGHT ON RIGHT ON RIGHT ON!!!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BGinVA | June 19, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

NATS WIN!!!
Can you count to three!!

Posted by: patchss | June 19, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

YESSS! Thank you sir Dunn!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the BIG DUNN-KEY does it!!!! A three-game streak. Way to go, guys. The bourbon and 'lox are on me! No drinking and driving, ladies and gents!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 19, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

That's gett'n 'er DUNN!!

Posted by: twinbrook | June 19, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Taylor is hot but dumb.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

How bout that Nats pitching?
Another great performance.

Posted by: patchss | June 19, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

LOL RC, didn't expect that comment after a Nats win, but it made me laugh. Gonna start up a euphamism: HBD.

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

gitter!

Posted by: joebleux | June 19, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Allrighty folks, it's been fun, Full Tilt awaits. Have a good one!

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

17 back...heh heh...stay HOT

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 19, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

yeah!! 3 in a row!

didnt have to be so difficult!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Strange coincidence, Cricks, my e-mailed Wikipedia entry of the day is "In Utero (album)."

Also: Anyone else want to move our team to the AL East?

Posted by: Section506 | June 19, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Three in a row can you believe it!! hey maybe McCatty is making a difference.

Posted by: dargregmag | June 19, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

@506 - I submit to you that it's serendipity rather than coincidence that brings us together on this night sir.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Josh Bard = class. Anyone else drawing on jason varitek when they see this guy?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Bard throwing a bone to Hanrahan. Love this guy. He should speak after every game. Give him the "C" on the jersey now.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@506 - dunno about the AL East but anyone doubt that the Nats would be in the hunt in the AL Central?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

Hmmm, the Nashville Nationals?

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Keep as good a defensive team out there as possible, keep the young guns pitching well and Manny does not coach us out of a win (trying to "build for the future" at the expense of winning today), I like our chances to start winning more than losing.

Posted by: JT2009 | June 19, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else dance like Kermit the Frog during the Amstel light beer commercial? Just checking...

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Where'd you all go? Get a W and abandon the drunks online. I see how it is.

Off to watch Twilight on DVD then. See you folks in the AM through the haze of 3+ bottles of vino.

LET'S GO NAT's!

Congrats boys. 3 wins in a row when others expected you phone in your manager's pink slip.

Remember every game you win is another night that Rosenthal has to eat SH!T!!!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

DT is HBD!!!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

HotNats - Dadadup Dadadup Dadadup Dadadadadadadup!

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

manny is solid.

really liked his post game discussion.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | June 19, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm with JT2009 -- best defensive team as possible (with Dunn in the lineup). Personally I prefer Nieves over Bard behind the plate with the stick, but this shows that good D is important with this young staff.

And, anyone else think the difference with the bullpen lately has to do with putting a better defense behind them? I'm starting to think this is like West Coast NL baseball.

no longer 0-8 in extra innings! 1-8!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

any idiot saying 'git 'er dunn'
or anything close, you are a cromagnon moron

of course, the nebraska born cable tv phenom with that catchphrase is a multimillionaire loser who is, importantly, not very funny.

malcolm

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | June 19, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Almost as solid as your handle, Malcolm, one of the best rhythm guitarists ever.

Oh yeah, dug his post-game as well

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

good night all! i'm going to have to figure out how to both be actively engaged and not totally sucked into this Nats Journal thing!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 19, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Willy2, I was getting the game on FIOS 2 (channel 1) in Fairfax County.

Put me in the lose the faux behind-the-plate umps camp.

Ashton Kuchter is HBD. Or so the young gals say.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Git R Dunn! Just saying.

That should about cover it. Nite!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 19, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

No, but I was thinking of Terry Francona. From the interview it seems as though he might be a good skipper some day.

---

Josh Bard = class. Anyone else drawing on jason varitek when they see this guy?

Posted by: RicketyCricket | June 19, 2009 11:18 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 19, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

No, but, anyone else yell "It's o-on" during the Southwest commercial? Just checking...

---

Posted by: HotNats | June 19, 2009 11:31 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 19, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

MY, come on. You don't think that yelling "GIT 'ER DUNN" when no. 44 strides to the plate should become a tradition in NatsTown? That's just wrong!

Posted by: twinbrook | June 20, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Second that, twinbrook.

See you in the new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 20, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

new post in 3 ... 2... 1...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 20, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse