Reading Material

Tonight's game is nearly sold out. Just out of curiosity, I ran a search a few minutes ago for remaining/available tickets. Nowhere in the ballpark can one find two or more seats together. Right now, if one goes to the Nats Web site and searches for tickets, you have only three options: Single tickets are available in the PNC Diamond Club ($175.00), the infield club level ($70) and the rightfield baseline ($50).

So, that's that.

In the meantime, here is a little later-than-usual linkage.

Former Postie Adam Kilgore, now covering the Sox for the Boston Globe, itemizes the futility of Boston's next opponent.

Garrett Mock -- the starter turned reliever turned starter -- is fully stretched out, pitching up in Syracuse. Here's the evidence.

Luis Ayala is looking for a job.

Dan Steinberg gives us a terrific glimpse of Manny Acta.

Globe columnist Bob Ryan says Dice-K wasn't worth the money.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 23, 2009; 10:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Looking For A Strasburg Parallel
Next: Here Come the Sawks

Comments

Reposting.

JDB1, what Boras would try to do is say, Strasburg has the right to go to Japan and sign as an amateur player, something that hasn't been done in the past, because the Red Sox broke the barrier by signing a Japanese player as an amateur. Every previous player move between the countries has involved pros, and there supposedly has been a gentleman's agreement.

He'll say the agreement is broken and get a Japanese team to sign Strasburg. Once that happens, he will say Strasburg is now a professional player and no longer bound by the draft, but should be treated as a free agent, like Ichiro and Dice-K and the rest.

I'm not sure he'll get a Japanese team to go along with it, but that appears to be the plan.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 23, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Haven't read the piece, but that worked out well for the NYC media.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Great 1-2 punch on the reading this morning Chico. The Kilgore article is a brutal synopsis - wish it weren't true, but it all is. In the end it doesn't matter though. Fortunately they still decide things on the field.

I'd really love to see them stick it to the Red Sox. Lannan, Stammen and Zimmermann. It'll be an interesting series regardless.

Go Nats!

Posted by: dand187 | June 23, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Here comes the most despicable bandwagon fan base in all of sports everyone!! Watch out!!

Posted by: RickFelt | June 23, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Great piece by Steinberg. Thanks for the reading, Chico.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 23, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RickFelt | June 23, 2009 11:22 AM
___________________________________________________________

Rickfelt,

I think that is a tad bit harsh. I would put Yankees and Cowboys fans above them on that list.

Posted by: Section505203 | June 23, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Bog, there's a chat going on even as we type.

p.s. It seems that chats and Tweets are exempt from the Good News Nats week constraints.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Rickfelt,

Posted by: Section505203 | June 23, 2009 11:33 AM

I disagree, however slightly. Red Sox>Cowboys>Yankees>Cubs>Patriots

Posted by: RickFelt | June 23, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

What, no love for Phillies fans?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

StubHub has plenty of tickets next to each other for sale.

Posted by: WashngtnSenators | June 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Are the t-shirts going to be of a better quality tonight? That could be the real reason for the ticket increase.

The t-shirt I got last month looked like it was 50 years old. Still very good to wear to gym.

Posted by: Pensfans | June 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Interesting about Boras and Strasburg. If he gets Strasburg to Japan the value of the draft is essentially over and we'll be back to the bonus baby days of the 50's.

Posted by: natsguy | June 23, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

RickFelt is correct. I remember going to Saux games at both Griffith and DC Stadiums. As poorly as the Nats drew, there were no "I went to school in Boston and became a lifelong Redsox fan" types in evidence. I can remember being at Griffith when Teddy Ballgame hit his last away HR and there were very few, if any, Sox types. This is strictly a new phenomenon.

I think 1a1 is wrong about Phillies fans. They are in a group by themselves. A group that probably should be shipped, wholesale, to St. Betty's, but a special group nonetheless.

Posted by: Catcher50 | June 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Laughing here, Catcher50.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Section505203,

yankee fans are a lot better than Sox, Mets or Phillies fans.

Posted by: brothbart | June 23, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

A general question: Mock up Martis down as opposed to Olsen up? I too hope the Bosox fans experience the frustration of their Yankee counterparts.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | June 23, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Annoying - Red Sox, Cubs, Mets & Yankees
Neanderthal - Phillies

Posted by: smirkman | June 23, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

204, last I saw, Olsen didn't look ready to come up, so if they bring anyone in, it'll likely be for the 'pen. And Sunday notwithstanding, I don't think Martis has lost his spot, yet.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

So, what is it about so-called "frontrunners" that brings out the moral indignation? Aside from the desperation to act better than other people, without actually *being* better?

*************
Posted by: RickFelt | June 23, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Four baseball fans want to show their teams that they're each the biggest fans in the world, so they decide to climb the biggest mountain they can find. The first one to the top is a Braves fan, and he says, "I'm the biggest fan in the world! This is for you, Braves!" and he jumps off. The second one to the top is a Nats fan and he says, "I love you more than anything, Nats, this is for you!" and he jumps off. The last two fans arrive at the top at the same time. One is a Red Sox fan and one is a Yankee fan. When they're both standing at the top together, the Red Sox fan says, "This one is for all baseball fans everywhere!" And the Red Sox fan pushes the Yankee fan off.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

There has to be a big distinction made between transplant "fans" and hometown fans. I found the post-2004 BoSox fans in DC annoying bandwagoneers. Up here in Boston, though, there's a fan base that's knowledgeable and passionate. They talk baseball all the time, and usually they are informed (if very biased).

I think Sox fans are similar to Yankee fans in that they can be obnoxious and think the world revolves around them, but they know and love baseball. Mets and Phils fans are different--they're harsh and like to bust the b***s of other fans, boo their own players, and eat their young. More obsessed than passionate.

Posted by: natinbeantown | June 23, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I love that, 1a!

One minor correction, though: I think the Nats fan would've been a no-show! He/she might've have watched the event on MASN but couldn't figure out what channel it was on.

Posted by: outsider6 | June 23, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The article written by Adam Kilgore really fired me up and I commented on it and I want to share my comments here because I am sick and tired of all the negativity about the Nats, including Dan Steinberg's self serving so called comedy diatribes. So here goes: That's ok if it makes you feel better to pick on us, laugh at us, consider us futile, go ahead Goliath - but always remember David. This team is MY team and I love them - win or lose, I am not a fair weather fan who jumps on the bandwagon only when a team wins, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people out there. These are my boys of summer and I have waited 34 years for them to come back to DC. Say what you want, we have very big shoulders because of people like you and articles like this. We never give up and we can never be counted out.....Go Nationals!

Did anyone happen to read the article a couple of weeks ago about Jon Miller and what the Baltimore fans did after the O's went 0-21 in 1988? Maybe all the true Nats Fans oughta think of doing something like that for this team. Can you imagine how the boys would feel if we did that? How many of you are at work everyday, pretty much 7 days a week giving 110%? Yeah, I know there's a couple on the team who could try a little harder, but for the most part these guys are trying really hard and they need our support - sometimes people need love the most when they deserve it the least. Even in the article on Jon Miller's greatest game memories he said the fans were a big factor in the win that night. Google the Jon Miller's greatest game memories and read the article - see how real fans help their team.

I love the Nationals, yeah I get mad, frustrated and upset - but I aint gonna quit on them - Baseball is finally back in DC - don't you want to keep it here? Let's forego the negativity and build on the positives and support our boys of summer. Just a fan of a team who needs us now especially since everybody else loves to make them the whipping boys.

Whew - I had to get this out, I'm done now I'll get off the soapbox. Go Nationals!!!

Posted by: cadeck | June 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

And honestly, I'd take the Sox, Yanks, Mets or Phils fanbases in a second over the Braves, the least-passionate, least enthusiastic fans ever. Didn't sell out playoff games, fer chrissakes, and fans left the WS games early.

Posted by: natinbeantown | June 23, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Cadeck -- I agree that some of the comedy stuff is piling on, and it gets old and annoying.

But this is MY team too, and they've managed to totally alienate me. The stuff they've outlined (natinals, rossvelt, the lack of a bullpen that nobody noticed, smiley, etc) make me regret and resent buying season tickets. I've been snowed and I've wasted a pile of money to watch this team with the all-sizzle-no-steak of the Braves and the record worse than the Pirates. It's like the redskins but worse. Until those jerks stop wasting all the tremendous resources they've been given, screw 'em. No longer will I pass up perfectly good staff meetings to watch the Nats lose.

Posted by: Section406 | June 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

greta I love watching home games where the away team has a decided fan advantage

Posted by: bford1kb | June 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

">>

Oh I know what he's trying to do and wasn't attacking the post. The league won't allow it and surprisingly the union will not like it. The league will still make him draft eligible.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 23, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Nats are always on the road ... for now ...

Posted by: periculum | June 23, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

If Rizzo somehow gets through the Strasberg negotiations and gets him signed expeditiously ... he should be made the GM on the spot.

Posted by: periculum | June 23, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm with 406 here, or maybe he's with me, since I got here in 2007. This isn't "my team," it's a for-profit business that operates a couple of Metro stops from my house, selling something I'd buy under even near-normal circumstances. I've been a baseball player and fan all my life. Until a few years ago, there was NO PLACE I'd rather be than at a NL ballgame. I was a Cubs fan growing up in Chicago, and a Giants fan for many years living in SF--I'm a total homer, and losing holds no terror for me.
But I went to maybe two games last year, and haven't been, yet, this season. They don't deserve my money, and I don't owe them anything. They are a business, and a fairly coddled one, at that.
Stan knows he's right: they'll get the attendance they deserve.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

They're my favorite business in Major League Baseball.

Posted by: Section506 | June 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Lifelong Red Sox fan here (grew up in New England, entire family from New Hampshire) who will be accused of being a bandwagoner tonight. While I agree that the new pink B-hat wearing fans are annoying, Nubs fans have no right to gripe about Sox fans filling up the ballpark here in DC. If Nubs fans filled up their own ballpark, this wouldn't even be an issue. Unfortunately, Nubs fans (and DC fans in general, with the exception of the Redskins) are just as much bandwagoners. They will show up when the team wins, and leave when it loses.

But the bottom line is - Nubs fans should be glad the Red Sox and Yankees both show up down here for one series a year. It may the revenue the teams needs to stay in town until they start winning, and fans actually show up.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | June 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Correction, the Red Sox OR the Yankees show up down here for one series a year. They don't come in the same year.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | June 23, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo may well get Strasburg signed but, it won't be quick. Boras will wait to the last minute on principal.

Posted by: soundbloke | June 23, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Correction, the Red Sox or the Yankees show up here for one series every three year.

Also, the Red Sox and the Yankees are interchangeable for the rest of the baseball world, sorry.

Posted by: Section506 | June 23, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Add Garrett Mock to the list of late August / September call ups. Starting pitching-wise the NAT's future looks very bright ... so bright you gotta wear shades ... :)

On the other hand relief pitching (other than Clippard) appears to be miserable. Unless Storen learns a lot quickly and makes the jump to AAA ...

Posted by: periculum | June 23, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Not so worried about relief pitching, periculum, it can hardly be counted on from year-to-year as Saul Rivera is indicative of.

Posted by: Section506 | June 23, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

southside, I believe that one or the other of them shows up every three years, not every year.

In other news, found this link in a MASN Nationals Buzz item:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, 506 got there first. Never mind.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Sox, Cubs, Phillies fans. They're the triumvirate of unbearable. I don't even think Yankees fans make the cut anymore.

My anti-Cubs bias comes from being out in the Midwest now. But during my time in DC, Philly was about as bad as it got as far as behavior is concerned.

But the Sox fans are obnoxious everywhere. And what kills me about them isn't the loud, drunken anger displayed by the above. Hell, it isn't even the sense of entitlement. It's the hypocrisy. They spend so much time pointing their fingers at NY when their team is guilty of the same thing.

Like so many Kung Fu movies, to overcome what which they hated, they had to become that which they hated.

And I'll just say it. The Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees are bad for baseball.

But they're great for MLB and ESPN.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 23, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Or, perhaps more accurately, the Yankees and Red Sox exploit a system that is bad for baseball.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

SouthsideFFX: "I've lived here for 10 years, and I will never understand the DC sports fan. They continue to flock like moths to a flame to Dan Snyder, no matter how much it costs nor how badly he abuses them. They don't show up in a NEW BALLPARK to watch (for a relative bargain) a team that, thanks to MLB, is going through a painful but necessary purging and rebuilding process. They only showed up for the Caps when they started winning, despite the fact that the team probably has one of the most fan-friendly owners in sports. Someone explain this to me - please."

Wilbon touched on this last year when there were more Steelers fans at FedEx field than Redskins fans. I'm sure there ar lots of reasons, starting with the fact that probably 3/4 of the people who live here come from somewhere else (myself included). Simple fact is, DC doesn't care about its sports teams like people in New York, Philly, and Boston.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 23, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I think the mets fans (in dc) are the most unbearable. we will see if that changes after tonight

Posted by: sect104 | June 23, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Of course people don't "care" about the Nats like New Yorkers care about the Mets/Yanks/Rangers, etc. or for how the locals here care about the Skins.

The Nats have been here for 5 seasons. It'll take a generation or two to develop any sort of tradition.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 23, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Just got the following travel advisory from the Nats (interesting that they plan to sell standing room only tix):

The Washington Nationals express their deepest sympathies to those affected by yesterday's Metrorail tragedy on the Red Line. A moment of silence will take place before this evening's game vs. the Boston Red Sox in honor of the victims.

Metro has advised all customers to plan for extra travel time both on Metro and the roads due to yesterday's accident. All Nationals fans attending tonight's game vs. the Boston Red Sox are encouraged to allow more time for their trip and to anticipate delays both coming to and leaving the ballpark.

Fans may park for free at RFK Stadium's Lot 8 and take the free Nats Express to Nationals Park. The Nats Express begins at 5:30pm and runs through an hour-and-a-half after the final out.

Parking is available around Nationals Park and may be pre-purchased at www.nationals.com/waytogo. Nationals Park Garages B and C will open today at 4:30pm, while all other lots will open at 5:00pm.

Fans planning to take Metro should visit www.wmata.com for up-to-the-minute information on station closings and delays.

Limited seating for the series vs. the Red Sox is available online at nationals.com. The $5 Grandstand tickets will be made available beginning at 4:35pm each day at the Nationals Park Team Store Box Office, located in Center Field Plaza. Standing Room Only tickets will be made available once all Grandstand Tickets are sold.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

You mean like Bruins fans, Celtic fans, Patriot Fans and yes even RedSox fans. We can go over historical attendance figures and the records of those teams in those years if you like.

Posted by: JDB1 | June 23, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know JiM, I'm a bit partial to Cubs-fans...

Posted by: Section506 | June 23, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Wilbon touched on this last year when there were more Steelers fans at FedEx field than Redskins fans. I'm sure there ar lots of reasons, starting with the fact that probably 3/4 of the people who live here come from somewhere else (myself included)."

Posted by: JDB1 | June 23, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

She gets a pass, 506, because she's marrying into the family.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

JDB1: "Maybe you could go back to where you came from and those of us that are from here would enjoy ourselves a little more."

I beg your pardon. I wasn't aware that you had to be a native Washingtonian to be a Nats fan.

I'm here. I like it here. I'm not leaving. So if you can't stand it, you know where you can go.

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 23, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@ Cadeck (12:54)-- what did the Orioles' fans do in 1988?

Posted by: Section109 | June 23, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

(...and they call ME a jerk...)

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 23, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

SouthsideFFX that's the kind of statement that makes you abhor the other teams fans in your stadium, great you'll help support our team, I'd rather just get a team that ranked second in profit last year to act like it ranked second in profit rather than throwing this crap out there and having a nowhere near decent product to sell, at a high price no less, if you look around the cheap seats in the stadium are usually pretty full of nats fans but the rest of the stadium is littered with empties and fans of the other teams because dc is a transplant city where all the people from other cities go to say three or even maybe 9 games during the year to see their home team. And yes when you win people show up this is no secret in sports, the issue is the only dc team with a history of sustained success was the redskins before the last laughably bad 15 years, and football is gobbled up by the masses, a lot of people go to games for the spectacle not because they're fans, they just enjoy the atmosphere and getting really hammered. Baseball was gone for longer than I've even been alive and now the ownership group has chosen this path, how do you rank second in profit and finish last in the same year and also the next year? support that in it's nascent stage? there is no ingrained loyalty to this team and only hardcore baseball fans are following this team game to game.

Posted by: bford1kb | June 23, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I like Cubs fans ... they're so like Red Sox fans, except their team stinks.

To a certain extent, you can only complain about BoSox fans' behavior and attitude but can't trump them with the "my team can beat your team" chatter. Because the Red Sox are, in the end, a good team.

But the Cubs are stinkers and have been for 100 years. At least the Nationals have only been stinkers for a few seasons.

On the other hand, that's a reason to respect Cubs fans. Hard to call them fair weather fans or mick-come-lately, like you can to a (not all but a) lot of Boston fans.

Posted by: ihatewalks | June 23, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Section109, here ya go: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/06/jon_millers_most_memorable_bas.html

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 23, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"how do you rank second in profit and finish last in the same year and also the next year?"

Easy bford1kb, cheap arse owners. The "Plan" is a code word for "cheap."

Posted by: Section505203 | June 23, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The nats don't have too many choices on Olsen. The clock is getting real short on his 20 days of rehab. I don't think they are allowed to extend it and I don't think he has any options. Its not like they can leave him in the minors because of the CBA.

Posted by: natsguy | June 23, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Schizophrenia

1. I grew up in New England, went to my first game at Fenway in 1965 and have rooted for them my entire life.
2. I have lived in DC my whole adult life and have had Nats full season's tickets continuously since the day they went on sale in 2004. I named my son Nat.

People forget the Red Sox have not always been the juggernaut they are now. Being a Red Sox fan has prepared me well to stick with the Nats through thick and thin.

I always laugh when I read stuff like "all (insert team name here) fans are (insert slur here). I am a Caps season's ticketholder and believe met there are 10 times as many Caps bandwagon jumpers as there are for the Red Sox!

Posted by: HistoryBoy | June 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

HistoryBoy: "Tonight I will be wearing my Sox jersey and Nats hat and tomorrow the opposite, and Thursday back to Sox jersey/Nats hat."

I grew up in NY as a Yankees fan. Remember the game at RFK against the Yanks when Zim hit the walkoff homer in the bottom of the ninth? I was there, wearing my Yankees jersey and Nats cap.

My nephew, a diehard Yankees fan, was there with me. He looked like all the air got let out of him after Zim's shot.

I didn't feel quite as bad...

Posted by: gilbertbp | June 23, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

New post, w/lineups.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Phillies "fans" are the biggest bandwaggoners going - they had less than 20K in the stands for YEARS, and now they are "die Hard." Please.

Posted by: CausewaySt | June 23, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

gilbertbp @ 3:08, thanks for the URL about the great Orioles story.

Posted by: Section109 | June 23, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

SIGN AYALA!! RELEASE HANRAHAN!!

Posted by: gonats1 | June 23, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

NatInBeanTown wrote:

"We should remember this conversation a few years from now. When the Nats are contending, there will be very many people on this board who suddenly hate our fan base as a lot of frontrunners come out of the woodwork."

Yeah, but despite all the carping about Sox/Yankees/Phils/etc. fans above, I for one would count our Nats extraordinarily lucky -- even if we were to somehow pull a Braves and become decade-long contenders by a couple of seasons from this present point of nadir -- if we ever develop the kind of fanbase those teams enjoy (to say nothing of media devotion). That's just the fact, based on our particular history, geography and demography as a baseball town. Not to mention the Redskins, whose entrenched domination and committed/passionate fan support (to the point of delusion and deprivation) the Nats can never hope to approach, in spite of Danny Boy's best efforts to the contrary.

So unless and until we do develop the kind of deep support that even the O's enjoy, much less those other teams, all the beefing comes off a lot like sour grapes. In the meantime (StanK's unfortunate Philly comments aside) let's just give the devil his due, accept their money along with their obnoxiousness, cut them off after the 7th inning and hope they don't kill anybody on the way home, maybe even learn a little around this town about what it is to be a baseball fan (they're not *all* frontrunners folks, as anyone who attended Sox games at Camden Yards before they became world champs can attest), and look forward to better days ahead. Go Nats!

Posted by: evanescent_panoply | June 23, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Section 109: you can find the article at
Basically 50,000 fans showed up when they came home from road trip 1-23 in 1988 - Miller claims it to be one of his most memorable games. He went on to say that the O's were the laughingstock - on The Tonight Show, etc. and fans started calling in to radio show - Bob Rivers - telling him how bad they felt b/c everybody was making fun of the O's and that they still loved the O's and still rooted for them. So Rivers had the idea that fans could show their support and come out for them calling in "Fantastic Fans" night and 50,000 showed up at Memorial Stadium - the players couldn't believe it. Just made me think of our Nats and how much I want them to know I still root for them every game and I never give up on them - they are my Team.

Posted by: cadeck | June 23, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse