The Running Rain (And Game) Thread

[UPDATE, 6:31 p.m.] -- Just to bring this full-circle, the rain delay lasted, officially, five hours and 26 minutes. Incredible. I'll try to find out where this ranks among the all-time longest rain delays. The first pitch tonight came at 6:31 p.m., a high fastball (ball) to Cristian Guzman. And with that, we're under way.

---

[UPDATE, 5:36 p.m.] - They are now saying that this game, I kid you not, is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. The rain is barely detectable at the moment -- just a drizzle, max. Workers are coming out to remove the tarp.

---

[UPDATE, 5:01 p.m.] - While we wait (for the rain to stop? for Jim Bowden's latest twitter feed?), here is a link to Bill Gluvna's weekly minor league report.

MLR 6-17-09.pdf

---

[UPDATE, 4:32 p.m.] - Seriously, what's going on here? No updates in a while. The rain is down to a drizzle. The press box is no longer serving food. Everyone is just a bit loopy. My legs hurt from sitting for so long. It feels like a long flight. Where's the Sandra Bullock movie?

---

[UPDATE, 3:56 p.m.] - If you're curious about potential make-up dates, the Nationals and Yankees have only one mutual off day the rest of season. That's on Monday. And the Yankees, at that point, are in the middle of a road trip -- finishing Sunday in Florida, starting Tuesday in Atlanta. So, that's one of the complicating factors here.

---

[UPDATE, 3:49 p.m.] - Up here in the press box, we just received announcement that there's another round of heavy showers predicted in the "immediate future." The 4 p.m. start time has been pushed back. No first pitch yet to be announced.

---

[UPDATE, 3:35 p.m.] - Wait, did I indicate things were clear? Sorry. I have no clue what's going on here, what the plan is, etc. The tarp is on the field still, and the rain is coming down. Steadily. No way is this game starting at 4 p.m.

By the way, I noticed some confusion about the Nats' lineup. I should have posted this earlier, but if indeed a game starts this afternoon, Ronnie Belliard will not be playing. He was scratched because he wasn't feeling well. Thus, Washington's lineup is as follows:

Guzman - 6
Johnson - 3
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - DH
Kearns - 9
Patterson - 8
Harris - 7
Nieves - 2
Hernandez - 4

---

[UPDATE, 3:12 p.m.] -- The first pitch is now scheduled for 4 p.m.

---

I'll say this about Yankee Stadium. The folks in charge here keep their fans informed. Very informed. As we've been waiting through the rain delay, video announcements about the decision-making have been appearing on the scoreboard at least several times every hour.

The latest explained that, in a few minutes, the groundscrew will remove the tarp -- an initial step that COULD, MAYBE, lead to a baseball game. It's still raining here, but we're coming up on the window that might allow for some ball. So, in an attempt to time it just right, the tarp will be taken off.

Then we'll find out if the rain stops accordingly.

Stay tuned.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 18, 2009; 3:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Afternoon Tidbits
Next: Nats 3, Yankees 0

Comments

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

haha, sec3. There's another new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

looking out my window in midtown manhattan at 3:06pm, there is no rain....

Posted by: adrianstewart | June 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, time to check the telly.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's a winner! Bargains galore! Yes you too can be the proud owner of a quality goes in before the NAME goes on ... Step right up!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Keeping fan informed? What a concept. I thought it was standard procedure to keep fans completely in the dark, getting them in the ballpark as early as possible, and keeping them trapped there, without any information, so they can "enjoy" another $6 hot dog or $8 beer.

Posted by: rbelleisle | June 18, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

We're mushrooms, rbelleisle.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

what really sucks during day rain delays is that you gotta listen to scott and anita....id rather gouge my ears out than listen to what brad bergesens off days are like.

Posted by: theredskin | June 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Even occasionally posting the weather radar would be helpful.

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

From some previous post or other--

OK, schlemmerer, I'm curious. If Kearns hits 7th, and Belliard is a bum, this is your lineup?

Guzman - 6
Johnson - 3
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - DH
Nieves - 2
Harris - 7
Kearns - 9
Patterson - 8
Belliard - 4
***************
Playing Belliard over Gonzalez is a criminal act.
Posted by: souldrummer | June 18, 2009 3:15 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Eh, I get all my updates from Chico, home or away.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

radio broadcast is coming on. Starting soon

Posted by: JDB1 | June 18, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

> wow, what a contract to what happens in Natstown. Is there someone there taking notes?

Actually, the reason the Yankees need to announce that they're going to remove the tarp is because their fans are too dumb to figure it out otherwise. In NatsTown, I'm always able to figure out that they're going to remove the tarp when the grounds crew starts going out onto the field and yanking on the edges of it. I don't need no stinkin' scoreboard announcement for that!

Posted by: section417 | June 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, JDB.

Is anybody else running into a validation code fail on the MLB site for All-Star voting? Seems to be quirky today. (Hey, just doing my civic duty.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, I *really* couldn't figure out wtf this was about...thanks 417.

And it's not so much that the fans are, well, Yankee fans, as they are the *N*E*W**Y*O*R*K**Y*A*N*K*E*E*S* and everything they do is worth announcing.

Sorta like how the Post treats the local football team.
*************
____________________
Posted by: section417 | June 18, 2009 3:28 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I realize it may not be accurate, but the Gameday has the lineups a bit different.

They have the 8th and 9th spots as:
Nieves - 2
Anderson - 4

Instead of:
Belliard - 4
Nieves - 2

Posted by: ilovethenats | June 18, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

maybe Manny switched to his under-the-lights lineup, iltn.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The reason the Yankees keep fans posted during rain delays is because of the fiasco earlier this year for a Red Sox game with a 2 plus hour rain delay where fans were told by security game would be cancelled, only to leave park and be denied access back in when game started at 9PM. NY Post described scene as a riot but it wasn't. Yanks took a lot of flak for failure to keep fans in park informed.

Posted by: buckny | June 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

On the "luck statistics" post:

I think Chico's research is enlightening.

Consider it as much of a "choke" statistic. Especially given the W-L in extra innings.

It appears to me to reflect mostly on the "bench"
players and relievers who must fill-in and
do extra duty when extra innings come along.

The bottom-line: weak bench, and relief pitching.
With a couple of key pickups the Nats could reverse that.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, buckny. Sure glad nothing like that happens here.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Just saw the horror that is today's lineups. And now I'm back off the fence to fire Manny. Kearns *must* be benched. Short of that he must be hit no higher than 7th in the order."

The line up makes some sense. Need left-handed hitting I suppose.

On Kearns: I suspect they are trying to help him break out of his slump so they can salvage something in the way of a late season trade. Sorry people, have to start looking at things through next year's eyes. If they can get something, anything for Kearns, both Kearns and the team are ahead of the game.

In this series both Johnson and Guzman have marketed themselves fairly well for potential trade partners.

Their needs appear to be an excellent fielding centerfielder who has the potential to hit for average and power, relief pitching, and catching. Ian Desmond looks good down in Harrisburg back from his injury. He needs a spell in Syracuse, then the majors. They can sign a new second basemen next year.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Answers to "Lucky" ...

So, if a team is well under its ShouldaWouldaCoulda Number for a significant amount of time, yeah, "chokes" is about right. (I do wonder, if, as some stats guys insist, there is no such thing as "clutch," can there still be such a thing as "choke,"--when there clearly *is*--but nevermind that for now.)

Teams lose games they "should have won" because of bad bullpens, bad fielding, and/or repeatedly leaving runners on base in close games. If they bunch their mistakes into a few games where they get their brains beat in, but win more by low scores, they should have a high "luck" factor. So if they lose most of their close games, I'd expect a negative "luck"--or "choke" as peri says, number. No?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

> Their needs appear to be an excellent fielding centerfielder who has the potential to hit for average and power, relief pitching, and catching.

You realize of course that none of these needs at the major league level could possibly be met if Johnson or Guzman are traded, don't you? (Kearns is untradeable. Hopefully he will go the way of Felipe Lopez, Paul LoDuca and Johnny Estrada soon.) The best they'll get in trade for these guys will be prospects, not major league ready players. All MLB teams need a centerfielder, catcher and relief pitchers. If they have good ones, they're not going to be trading them.

Posted by: section417 | June 18, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but that horse left the barn a long time ago. Even if, like Lopez, he finds his bliss elsewhere, it doesn't matter, because he won't find it here. Two years is not a statistically small sample.

*************************

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Point being, he's not in a slump.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

So much for Charlie and Dave at work.

Harumph.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Lannan plus Willingham might get you a MLB center fielder, but not Willie Mays.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

> Point being, he's not in a slump.

Sure he is. If when you're in a slump your play is in the ditch, Kearns is in the Grand Canyon of slumps.

Posted by: section417 | June 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

This is why they have such good public info...

Posted by: Elyse315 | June 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where's the new post??

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Been a while - miss you tracee! good luck.

Speaking of the "luck" stat, Sheinin a year or two ago did a piece on Pythags vs. actual recorss as an indicator for skill of the manager. I think it was 2007, and of course one of the two best was . . . Manny Acta. I believe the best was Arizona (Melvin). What Sheinin pointed out is that the teams that outperformed their Pythagorean records were teams with very good bullpens. Arizona was a team that would get blown out frequently, but when they could deliver a tight lead to the bullpen, they held it. Same was the case for the '07 Nats. As for the '09 Nats . . .

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 18, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

With Kearns, best we can hope for is to somehow get out of the buyout (what, $1million), then we can immediately pump that back into our robust international scouting.

We don't need a catching prospect - we have Flores, Nieto, Solano, Norris, Rooney, Montz, etc.

Posted by: goexpos2 | June 18, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

There is no such thing as a two-year-long slump. He may yet re-learn how to hit; I hope he does. And if he does, I don't know what you call the really, really long bad stretch in beween (if he doesn't, it's called "can't hit anymore"), but "slump" is euphemistic at best.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

and that really should have read: "Lost Dog .... answers to "Lucky."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that the day they're supposed to busy firing Manny?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"Nick, Biemel, and Villone are all at or near type B compensation, so their values are pretty good even for rentals (or even if we keep them)."

Only if they stay at that level or get better ...

Dang I'm half-empty today...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"If you're curious about potential make-up dates, the Nationals and Yankees have only one mutual off day the rest of season. That's on Monday."

But when will Manny be fired?

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Chico, what would you say the chance are that MLB would reschedule this game? The Nats last game of the year was never played (I still have my tickets, gotta trade them in yet!) and I don't see this game meaning a lot for the Nats. Chances that its meaningful in any for the Yankees?

Posted by: bryandc | June 18, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and I was also going to wash my car.

---

Isn't that the day they're supposed to busy firing Manny?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 4:05 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

bryandc, if it could affect a playoff race, they'll replay it, probably waiting until September to find out.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

JiM, great minds think alike. And so do we.

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering yesterday, what if Nick and Austin had not collided at the end of '06? I think Nick now guards against injuries in the field and is a little less aggressive in making plays. Maybe I'm nuts. he still seems to run the bases hard for a big slow guy. I think Kearns had some success immediately after his trade here. I wonder if he's thinking too much.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 18, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

With the number of rain outs against teams that likely won't need the difference to determine playoff status, it's possible the Nats won't make it to 120 losses at this pace!

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

October baby.

There's a decent chance that the Yanks/Sawks could be close enough that the game matters.

Small consolation, I guess, but I'd love a meaningful Nat's game in October (even if it's just meaningful for the other team).

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm at Yankees stadium right now and where I am at right now I would have to slightly disagree on their fan friendly announcements. Yes the do keep us updated at times, but it more of Yankee player, announcer, or worker saying that they hope to play soon.... Not so much saying how the upcomming weather looks or when they think they will play.. Most of the video segments are them saying "we know you want us to play and we hope soon". That said it is still an improvement of the last rain delay I went thru at nats park.. The yankee's video post even though it didn't say too much at least it was something

Posted by: biohokie | June 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"From some previous post or other--

Guzman - 6
Johnson - 3
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - DH
Nieves - 2
Harris - 7
Kearns - 9
Patterson - 8
Belliard - 4
***************"

What I was trying to say is that Kearns and Belliard should not be in the lineup. I'd rather see Gonzalez if you feel that you need to spell Hernandez and Kearns I'd like to DFA.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"What I was trying to say is that Kearns and Belliard should not be in the lineup."

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm an optimist about Kearns today. With Joba pitching, he has Kearnsie 3 for 5. A BB and 2 HBP, with only one K and one GDP.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 18, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

it would be pretty interesting if later this season a game against the Nationals would determine someone else's playoff chances (i think we know what the Nats' chances already are!)

Posted by: bryandc | June 18, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"I think Manny's theory is, if you're on the 25 man roster, then you belong in the big leagues, and you're going get spot starts here and there. You can play your way out of a starting spot (like Kearns did), but I don't think Manny is ever going to just bury someone on the bench."

I thought the point was to win games? Silly me.

Posted by: Juni | June 18, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, all we have is Paul Blart: Mall Cop. It costs extra for headphones. Did you want those?

---

Where's the Sandra Bullock movie?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

At least your mind follows some grammatical structure. I appear to be missing a verb. And the most important verb at that.

-----

JiM, great minds think alike. And so do we.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I do think that MLB needs to address this long rain delay issue -- having sat in Nationals Park for hours on end without a game being played either at all or until ridiculous wee small hours times. With interleague play, only 4 opponents make more than one trip a year into a stadium. There should be a time limit on rain delays. I'm not there, but a four hour rain delay is hardly fan friendly, even if it is in the middle of the afternoon.

Posted by: raymitten | June 18, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

funny update, chico. sounds bleak.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Well.... get rid of interleague play. That would help a lot and the Nationals would only play REAL baseball unless and until they made it to the World Series.

Posted by: OldDude | June 18, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Raymitten,
There is no solution to a rain delay. If it stops after they call the game, there are howls from fans on talk radio. If they call the game quickly and re-schedule its "how am I supposed to take little Johnnie to a night game in early September." A team cannot win in this scenario.

Posted by: buckny | June 18, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Right now I'm spending over $30 on food and beer to watch the blue jays vs phillies on the Yankees jumbotron.... On par with a Sandra bullock movie

Posted by: biohokie | June 18, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"There is no solution to a rain delay."

Yes there is: it's called having some sort of recompense for the ticket you bought. They won't, since they already have your money.

The Nats should, though, since demand is not exactly elastic in NatsTown

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"I agree, we should totally wear out our good players by not playing people on the bench who aren't that good, but the GM won't ditch so that our good players break and those people on the bench get to play every day."

Have you ever played baseball? It's far from exhausting. Kearns should be no more than a late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner. A good manager would recognize this. A bad manager hits him 5th. Kearns shouldn't see another at bat in the Majors. He's a mediocre AAA player at best.

Posted by: Juni | June 18, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"The best they'll get in trade for these guys will be prospects, not major league ready players. All MLB teams need a centerfielder, catcher and relief pitchers. If they have good ones, they're not going to be trading them."

In the heat of the pennant races a team like Boston might part with one or two close to the majors "bright" prospects for NJ and Guzman and one or two of the Natinals "prospects". If they trade O'Connor they can trade Hanrahan. The Mets might also be a possibility but they are in the same division ...

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Have you ever played baseball? It's far from exhausting"

Have you ever played a 162 game major league season in about 180 days? There's a reason why baseball players used to live on "greeies".

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess for a mob scene/riot, there would have to be an ACTUAL mob.

Can't see that happenin' on South Cap...

_______________________________________

Posted by: buckny | June 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimDz | June 18, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Funny, if I were commish, I'd extend interleague play. That, or try to cram revenue sharing through.

Every team should be fortunate enough to make money off the Yankees and Red Sox PR machine.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

And by PR machine, I mean ESPN.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

What he said, plus "with your career on the line."
*******
"Have you ever played baseball? It's far from exhausting"

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 4:51 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

No, but there would be several strongly-worded (if badly spelled) posts online!!1!

*********************
I guess for a mob scene/riot, there would have to be an ACTUAL mob.
Can't see that happenin' on South Cap...
_______________________________________

Posted by: buckny | June 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimDz | June 18, 2009 4:54 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

So where's all the vitriol on them not calling this game? People have been "trapped in the stadium" and "forced to buy $8 beers and $5 hot dogs" for the past 4+ hours. Leave it to Stan and the Lerners to try and gouge every last penny from the "few fans that are actually still hanging around."

What?! This isn't happening at Nats Park? It's in NYC? Oh well, then I guess it's okay. Let's all wait patiently and happily. Whew, than goodness it's at another park and not at home, otherwise people might get angry for no reason ...

Posted by: erocks33 | June 18, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not a man of violence, but there'll be a letter about *this* in the Times tomorrow!"
--Groucho

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"Have you ever played baseball?"

This marks the first time I've ever scoffed at someone for not being able to comment on something because he or she was not a major league player.

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

They're free to comment, 506--we don't even hold them to standard English. We just laugh and point, or holler and throw [stuff] at them.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Not promoting no days off ever. Simply wait a week for Willingham and then rest Dukes. Any simpleton could figure that out. Then again, Manny can only aspire to one day call himself a simpleton.

Posted by: Juni | June 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"Have you ever played baseball?"

Dibs? Is that you?

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | June 18, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

And yet, in about 135 years of professional baseball, the idea first breaks here, on Planet NJ. Dang, we're good.

*****************

Posted by: Juni | June 18, 2009 5:06 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

hehe, must be getting bored in the broadcast booth.

Dibs? Is that you?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Can't they just schedule it for 8 pm and let everyone leave and go get something for dinner?

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: erocks33 | June 18, 2009 5:02 PM

That was the best comment on this blog all week.

Posted by: Barno1 | June 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN:
• In the wash: The rampaging state of flux in Washington goes beyond the manager's office. The Nationals still haven't committed to highly respected interim general manager Mike Rizzo as their full-time GM. And we're now hearing that former Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker, currently a senior VP for baseball operations in Tampa Bay, has surfaced as a candidate if Rizzo doesn't get the job.

Posted by: trezmartin | June 18, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, that is the mantra of the Natinals is it not? Trade the proven for the potential superstar prospect? Kind of worked with Flores ... but with this injury the jury might be out for a while."

Posted by: nunof1 | June 18, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang...listening to the boys on the radio ..caught the tail end of the talk on I think rule 5 rules,,,,any how, coming in on it in progress I thought they were talking about DFA'ing someone,,,,and OH! be still my heart! Remember how happy you were when you heard that Jim Bowden was gone? Well,,,I had the momentary tremor of hope that "I Stink" had been released....Go Nats!

Posted by: zendo | June 18, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

How is Kearns only the 5th worst RF in all of baseball?? WHAT DEVILRY IS THIS?!?!!? Left is down, up is blue. My whole world is shattered.

Posted by: RickFelt | June 18, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

"They didn't trade for Flores. He was a Rule 5 draft pick. Basically they stole him from the Mets. Possibly Bowden's best move as GM."

A good move too. But he took the slot of a major leaguer whether starter or bench. To keep him he had to be listed with the squad MLB ready or not.

The trend seemed to still be to trade guys who were ready now for "prospects" that might eventually raise the level of play above what they currently had or could obtain by any other means.

Looks like its Solano and/or Norris now?

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Just happened to click over to MASN when they were doing an update (can't watch that Scott and Anita stuff). Carpenter speculate that it be at least an hour until the game started, and perhaps not until 7.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

What the? I meant "speculated that it would be."

---

Carpenter speculate that it be

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

"And we're now hearing that former Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker, currently a senior VP for baseball operations in Tampa Bay, has surfaced as a candidate if Rizzo doesn't get the job."

Hearing from whom? SI's Jon Heyman (he seems to be full of suggestions) or another anonymous GM?

Pardon me while I roll my eyes.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | June 18, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr Gluvna,

Is it really that hard to spell Colombia? With an O?

Thank you for the minor league report.

Posted by: edeleon | June 18, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Is it really that hard to spell Colombia? With an O?

Not to drug dealers: "O" is for Oprah, "U" is for Uzzi.

Posted by: edeleon | June 18, 2009

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

After reading about Lannan growing up, is anyone afraid he'll bolt to the Yanks first chance he gets?

Posted by: thegraneys | June 18, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard whether the game (if it ever starts) is still going to be broadcast on MASN? What about the upcoming already scheduled O's game that starts at 7pm?

Posted by: paklein84 | June 18, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

the game will be on MASN and MASN HD, the TWMNBN is bumped to MASN2.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like its Solano and/or Norris now?

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse
__________________________________________

Since Omar left, when was the last time we traded a prospect that was ready? And what ready prospect have we produced other than Zimmerman and the current starting staff?

Posted by: goexpos2 | June 18, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Lannan's not bolting anywhere. He's not even *arbitration* eligible until 2011, much less free agency. We'll be winning AND have him locked up before he even CAN bolt.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 18, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

don't take this wrong, but isn't "prospect that is ready" an oxymoron?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Zimm! Wait, yeah Dunn! Good start! Yankees Stadium looking a lot like Nats Ark, eh?

(that's my pre-Toronto nod)

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

My kingdom for an Austin Kearns two out RBI.

Posted by: souldrummer | June 18, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

The first four hitters all crush the ball (NJ ran into tough luck with the DP), but Kearns? Oh, no. He just stands there, doesn't take the bat off his shoulders, and strikes out. YOU STINK, KEARNS!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Good example -- Manny apologists will say "It's not Manny's fault that Austin Kearns is hitting .200." No, but it IS MANNY'S FAULT that Kearns is HITTING IN THE 5 SPOT! Are you freakin' kidding me??? He is the weakest hitter in our lineup, at least right now (I would argue for the past two years), and Manny bats him 5th. What a moron.

Posted by: kfisher32 | June 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave just said during the half inning break the announcer at Yankee Stadium told everyone to get up and move closer. They should do that every day at Nats Park.

Posted by: gretchenrose | June 18, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Please DFA "K"earns. Now.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Kearns.

I'm going to post here (knowing a new post will come up while I am writing). I wouldn't have minded a rain-out (allows another day of feel-good for us and feel-lousy for them).

The Joba stats are good, and yet very deceptive (as we've seen from our Rookie starters). His stats from last year were as a reliever, which means (in general) only one time through a line-up. Sure improves a pitcher's performance! And, not saying it was the wrong thing to do, because it is a great way to capitalize on great young arms that haven't developed pitching to MLB lineups yet.

Good concept for our team, in my opinion.

This is actually probably a great chance for Stammen -- less pressure than 50k shouting you down. Oops, first batter, base hit.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Re: Move Up

Totally agree this should be the norm for a rain-out at Nats Park (or any park with a long rain-out). Reward the fans who stick around (and supplement the concessions) during the break.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I bet Kearns will be 0-4 with 2 strikeouts today. He won't hit anything out of the infield.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

MASN feed is not working on MLBtv. I have to watch YES network. This is unbearable!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez has made two outs that Belliard would never have made. Glad to see the late lineup change.

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Kearns & Patterson back-to-back in the lineup - "Where scoring opportunities go to die".

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Stammen! 9 of 9 thru 3!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Watching college WS, Is anyone else thinking that just maybe, the Nats should of taken Ackley instead of Strasburg? Or is it possible that my experience as a nats fan leads me to expect the worst??
Ie. Mark prior type career for SS.

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is up with runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Will he:
A) Ground into a DP?
B) Strike out?
C) Hit an infied popup?

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Its like the Nats are their Syracuse affiliate with all the postponements, and rain delays. It rains a whole heck uv a lot up there. More so even than Seattle.

Three strong innings for Stammen. Looks like he is feeling Olsen over his shoulder. Pretty good strategy on Rizzo's part doing the O'Connor open the roster move now. Sent a signal that at any time some might get "shutdown" early.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, it was almost a DP...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

after 1-4, our lineup really sucks...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

They should have brought up Padilla instead of Patterson. The guy can't hit. Kearns looks better.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Wil Nieves? WHO? WIL NIEVES! A hit's as good as a walk, and Hernandez is coming up and he has been hot lately...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I meant a walk's as good as hit. Oops!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

2 strike outs bases loaded or men on base.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

what were we saying just a few posts ago about taking advantage of runners on base, Anderson?
Honestly, sometimes I think these players are paying no attention to us at all!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

A-Rod "clangs" one at 3B, and the NYY scorer rules it a hit? Good for Guzman.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

yeah zim!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Time to play again...

Kearns is up with runners on 1st and 2nd and one out. Will he:
A) Ground into a DP?
B) Strike out?
C) Hit an infied popup?

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Great - 1st & 2nd, one out & who's up - "Where scoring opportunities go to die".

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

and B) strikeout it is! YOU STILL STINK, KEARNS!!

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

B) Strike out

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

That Kearns AB was pathetic. He looks totally lost.

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Small ball - let's see if they can hold them again this evening. Go Nats!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | June 18, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

How long has Kearns been stealing money from the Nats?

Posted by: visionof75 | June 18, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Patterson and Kearns: 9 LOB at 5 innings.

RIZZO: what the heck have you got to lose by bringing up Padilla? You've got Young as a totally wasted spot on the roster as it is. These guys you have been foisting on us are not MLB ready yet. If they ever will be.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Kearns earns 1/1000th of his salary. Great throw and play! Swisher should have known better!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice play Kearnsy

Posted by: combedge | June 18, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Great throw. Don't test the gun, Swisher...

Posted by: Section220 | June 18, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

OK, great outing by Stammen. Great for his confidence, and ... what do you do? Put the game in the bullpen's hands? This is not Lannan with his composure.

He's pitching within himself, and keeping his pitch count down (big issue for me -- see previous posts). What if it comes down to bullpen?

And, great example of the difference between AL and NL, as pitchers at-bats come into play. C'mon Nats! Take this series! It's there for you!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Kearns and Patterson may totally suck at the plate, But they are getting it done in the outfield.

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

@mo_dc: With Stammen only throwing 53 through 5IP, you've got to send him back out; Just be ready to pick up the bullpen phone.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Belliard have a tummy ache every day?

Posted by: nunof1 | June 18, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Stammen! Efficient -- "pitching to contact."

And yeah, no question about Inning 6. Keep him going in Inning 7, for sure.

How would this be different in the NL? And, how can you NOT play Dunn as DH when you have the option?

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Same ball by NJ to center -- last night a 2-run triple, tonight an out by Gardner.

Think Melky was pressing last night with Gardner< a fan favorite, on his tail?

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Eighteen outs so far. One CS and two K.

Fifteen groundouts induced by the fastball (ten on two-seamers), one on a changeup. One K on a curve and one on a four-seamer.

He's attacking. 63 pitches to get through six innings.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Stammen on for the 7th. Need to have Wells & Villone ready to get warm.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

We should have a couple of Web Gems tonight...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Willie! goes to show the benefits of having a D. If you're gonna ask your young pitching staff to throw strikes, you gotta help them out!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

JohninMpls: I'm right with you. Look at all the groundouts coming from attacking (down low). It's not about swing-and-misses. And, it helps that Stammen's pitching quickly to help the D. HUGE difference vs a Colome or Tavarez. Let your D help you. And throw strikes. Attack!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

great outing by Stammen, I hope the bulpen does its job. (uneasy feeling in my stomach)

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

83 pitches and 6.1 innings ... hopefully he will get help to get out this scrape keeping that lower ERA.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

start Jorge up and in, then go down and away... oops. too late.

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Gooooooozzz!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Yeah! Stammen's got his first W still in play! Good D -- for a team with this offense, will still result in more W's

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! Tavarez and Villone shut down the Yankees!!

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Confidence? Should be better if they can somehow shutout the Yankees and win the rubber match.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Yes Mo, you most definitely play Dunn at DH. Albeit he is willing to learn to get better.

Be a different team with the DH option me thinks.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Dang, while I hate the Yanks, I hope Gardner's okay, I do have tremendous respect for him — all-out gamer.

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Clueless Debby Taylor just referred to Syracuse as "and down at Syracuse, blah, blah". Do you suppose that she does not know that Syracuse is in New York?

Posted by: MKadyman | June 18, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

That wall is ridiculous. I feel for Gardner (and, strangely, for Dunn -- that would've been a dinger in Cincy -- wait, isn't that where his inflated stats took place? Warning track power for most parks was HR in Cincy...

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Gardner? Not enough info on GameDay.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | June 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Re: Cincy band box - see Micah Owings and 7 HRs. Not that I have anything against Owings, but those 1st row HRs are outs elsewhere...

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DT thought it was the other Syracuse:
"Syracuse is located in the south-east corner of the island of Sicily, right by the Gulf of Syracuse next to the Ionian Sea..."

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

nnf, Gardner made a running catch into the wall, banging his head into the (apparently) plexi-glass, which as Dibble noted, there was no give at all, and he went down immediately.

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha! Yankee fans got that chant right....

"Willie Harris...SUCKS!"

And what does Willie do? Strike 3. Grab some PINE!

Posted by: ABHFGTY | June 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

In fairness to Debbie, Syracuse (AAA)is "down" in relation to MLB, regardless of geography.

Nice reference to Sicily geography, HotNats!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks mo, all hail google...

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Debbie was referring to Syracuse being "down" as in AAA ball.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | June 18, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

ABHFGTY, if we can inspire the ire of Yankees fans, then we're doing something right, I figure...

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Ha! You're an idiot HotNats! You probably think Willie Harris is leading the ballot for Outfielders for the All-Star Game!!!!

Posted by: ABHFGTY | June 18, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, okay...

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

OK
Its now top o' 9th and were still ahead (WTF!)
And with this puny starting line-up! (especially considering that the starting outfield--Kearns is sub-Mendoza and Patterson is -2x sub Mendoza!!!!)

Can the bullpen please find a way to hold on?!?! Especially now that Lannan last night drew a line in the sand that all rookie starters must now go 8 innings!!! (no more St Claire easy BS about just reaching 100 pitches---the new Nat mantra has to be: "8+ innings or you are a wuss!!!"

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | June 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Tex and ARod already batted, so that's good for bottom on 9. Shoot - Carp just beat me to it!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

c'mon Zimm...make 'em pay!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, Zim.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Bottom 9 - come on guys

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Rats.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

need two right here.

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

C'mon MacDoogie!

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

nice! DP!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

WOOOHOOO!!! That was sweet! Heck of a turn by Hernandez!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | June 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

called it!!! :-)

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

NICE PLAY!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

WHOO-EFFING-HOOOO!!!!!

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Two of three!!! YES!!

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hooray!

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rxs85 | June 18, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

That was the best defensive play from the Nats all year. 6-4-3!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

SHUTOUT!!!!! Too bad the Dunnkey has to go back into the field starting tomorrow.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

what a difference -- no one on with 2 out, vs 2 on with no one out down 3-0! Yeah Nats! Way to get something to build on! Shoot - Dibble beat me to that one too!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

ZANG BOOM!!!!
(fireworks on an away game)

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Now all we need to do is take two of three from the sux.

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Real quick - FIRST shutout of the year for the Nats? Shows you what a defense-oriented lineup can do...

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

And a curly W is in the books! A shutout, and the Nationals take 2-of-3 from the Evil Empire! WOO-HOO!

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Wooohooooo! I love it!

Willie makes a running catch - who "sucks" now, goomba Yanks trash?I don't care if we win 5 more games, I'll be laughing at the Yankees for the rest of the year.

Bring on the Jays and the Chowder Scum!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

First game in New Yankee Stadium without a HR!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Nats win!!
This is in direct correlation with Lannan's win last night. Stamman only pitches well because of last night's Lannan's performance.
And the bullpen holds.
What a great FUN win!!!! & Stammen has his 1st win!!!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | June 18, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

So the "hapless" Nats take 2 of 3 from the Bronx Bombers. Does mean a reprieve for Manny - he stays for another series? Another week?

Not sure, but I like the results the last 2 nights.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice pie in the face, Lannan! again, showing he's the MAN on the starting staff!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Siracusa, an ancient capital of Magna Grecia is located in the southeast corner of the Island of Sicily, nestled on "il golfo" di Siracusa and the Ionian (Mediterranean) Sea.

Syracuse NY, Siracusa's namesake, got its name during a neoclassical era in the US that began around the early 1800s. Other towns (later cities), such as Rome, Utica, and Elmira in NY State similarly received their names.

Located in the midst of forests between the Adirondacks and the CatSkills Syracuse, NY is located on Lake "Gitchygoomie" known also as Hiawatha's lake. Known today as lake Onodaga. Syracuse lies in Onodaga County.
The area around Syracuse is extremely verdant due to the abundant amount of precipitation. Known to have the third most precipitation and cloudy days of reasonably sized cities on the North American continent after Quebec City Canada and St. Johns New Foundland.

Whereas Siracusa in Sicily is situated on an azure sea, known for its sunny but dry climate, fertile volcanic soil, and amazing antiquities.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

All hail Alexa Steele! (I'm downright giddy)

Posted by: lowcountry | June 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Here Come Da NATS!!!!!!!

Posted by: Section505203 | June 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Do you realize, the Yankees are one blown save from having to fire Joe Girardi?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

WINNING STREAK!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Gang-WHO WERE THOSE GUYS WEARING NATS UNIS' IN THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gawd, I LOVE this game! GO NATS!

Posted by: zendo | June 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

AND Nats WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

A TWO game winning streak against the Yankees! And a shutout!

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Sec3

Didn't Phil Garner and Sam Perlozzo both get fired after being broomed by the Nats?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | June 18, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

leetee, you'll recall it's a rule from last year--any team getting swept by the Nats must fire their manager. It's a rule.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to read the NY Post and Daily News tomorrow morning...very, very sweet stuff. Not just the Nats' first shutout of the year, but the first shutout in the new Yankee Stadium.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 18, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST LISTENED TO!!!!

Posted by: surly_w | June 18, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

And right on, 1st base coach! Had the same thought......this team as a whole played like they wanted to win....not play well TO win

Posted by: zendo | June 18, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Now back to Nationals' Park for TOR & BOS. Go Nats!

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe we lost the first game to these bums....

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

So, if they had fired Manny three days ago, no one -- no one -- would have doubted it was the new manager.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

OH, is Ray gonna call out Brue again??

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | June 18, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Jays got swept in Philly. Let's jump 'em while they're down. I'm so happy for Stammen.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

AMEN on the defensive lineup, Mo. this is much better than 12-9 losses.

Posted by: chris88 | June 18, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm at home in Northern NY watching these wonderful games on YES, the Yankees' network. These guys can't believe what has happened the last two nights. It's SOOO entertaining.

Posted by: misplacednortherner | June 18, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

leetee, sorry, other way around. The Jays swept the Phillies, which clearly means they used up all of the road wins for this trip...

Posted by: baltova1 | June 18, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Hope some people can get out to the Park this weekend. I'll be there Tuesday to support Lannan and try to drown out the 'B' capped frontrunners

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Hardy har har har! Yankee fans can suck it and go back to jersey where u came from!

Posted by: boricuabopper | June 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to the Yankee feed on XM and they went on and on and on about Willie's catch in the 7th turning the game around. They were asking each other "these guys have the worst defense in the majors?"

Posted by: twinbrook | June 18, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

My mistake. The enthusiasm of an honest-to-God Nats winning streak, you know.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Whadaya think the Mike Francessa sports talk show will be like tommorow afternoon,they will be a tremendous wailing and nashing of teeth in the big apple tommorow, this should have been a series sweep if not for Manny pulling Sharon early anyway good win for this team now can you imagine what this team could do with a real big league skipper!

Posted by: dargregmag | June 18, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

for once i'm happy to say "goodnight, gracie."

Posted by: surly_w | June 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

@leetee & Sec3(sofa): Sorry, but it wasn't a sweep, just 2-of-3. Still, the 2nd series win of the year, and against the Steinbrenner's Evil Empire; Good times!

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Special kudos to Guzman, who's played some mediocre at best SS this year. He was outstanding tonight, to go along with his hitting.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 18, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

leetee - you're excused for thinking the world just turned upside down

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Food for thought: pitching and defense are good things.

Posted by: baltova1 | June 18, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

SIDE NOTE:
Despite the sad true fact that the Nats historically stink, I absolutely also love the fact that we are starting 5 very promising rookie starting pitchers.
Because you gotta admit..it just might be time for us to put on our shades because our Nats future is so bright.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | June 18, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice the "rally pants" of the last 2 nights? Is it just me, or are several players (Guz, AH, Willie) wearing the right back pocket inside out? I don't think I'm just imagining it... Now whether it's responsible for our winning streak, I don't know.

Posted by: cdstej | June 18, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

@surly_w: "G'night George".

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

1stBaseCoach

Don't forget Belliard.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

"Despite the sad true fact that the Nats historically stink"

Hey! We're now a game up on the '62 Mets! Take that, history!

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

1st - Olsen will be much in need come the second half when the young guys start threatening their innings max. Let's hope he gets healthy and throws well.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 18, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I have only one thing to say tonight

"You've gotta have HEART
All you really need is HEART
When the odds are sayin' you'll never win
That's when the grin should start
You've gotta have HOPE
Mustn't sit around and MOPE
Nothin's half as bad as it may appear
Wait'll next year and hope

At least for one day

Posted by: CBinDC | June 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

"(PLUS: YO! Time to trade/release Olson & Kearns--they are sadly no longer needed here)"

Olsen is about the same age as your promising young starters. He should be considered a promising prospect as well. His problems appear to be like those of Shawn Hill; injuries.

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so ATL won, but the Philthies lost (hooray!), the Mets just walked in the tying run in the bottom of the ninth to the O's, so hopefully they can get that winning run in, and FLA is in a rain delay winning by one run, hopefully the sawx can comeback in that one so we can keep the climb in the standings! The Comeback continueth!!!

(Cool, they've got cherry Kool-Aid tonight!)

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

nATs WIN! NATS WIN! NaTInaLs WIN TWO-IN-A-ROW!

Posted by: periculum | June 18, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Two music references in tonights' string - An early post from Sec3(sofa) paraphrasing Tom Waits, then late with 1stBaseCoach chanelling Timbuk2. Very cool, and great fun as well.

I'll say this - Kearns & Patterson can't hit to save their lives, but they still carry the leather. If the team can avoid playing them both at the same time, and NEVER bat them above 8th in the lineup, they might be onto something.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

You know, these young kid pitchers might just be getting over their Major League jitters, gaining some confidence, and that combined with DEEEFENSE just could be the turn around for these guys.

Just wish we could play AL rules (DH) more often.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Ah, pitching and defense. It's a wonderful thing. Ladies and gents, the bourbon and Maalox are on me today. Careful driving home. Winning streak! Historic too: first game in new Yankee Stadium without a home run. hahhahahahahhahahahahahahahah....

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 18, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I too want to read the NY papers tomorrow after they effectively said the Yanks were going to be playing a AAA+ ballclub - before this series started.

Gotta believe the Yankees are scratching their heads right now and asking; "What just happened here? Who were those guys in the Nats uniforms?". I love it.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

@CBinDC: Sorry, show-tunes don't count, and lyrics from "Damn Yankees" (although relevant) show your age.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

my vote for POD:

"I can't believe we lost the first game to these bums...."

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 9:41 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | June 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I've not read the game thread yet, but I just stopped by to say WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! Heard most of the game on the radio while driving and waiting at the cell phone lot of the airport. Got home just in time to see the bottom of the 9th on tv. Sa-weet! Can't wait to read the NY papers tomorrow.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

After scrolling back a few, I see that I'm not the only one who is looking forward to reading the NY rags.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

jdschulz50;

thanks. Pour me 3 fingers of Woodford's.

Yeah Nats. And JZim pitches tomorrow night.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Anyone communicated with Brue since he became a MASN 'celebrity'?

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

GREAT WIN NATS!

Posted by: rachel216 | June 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

A fantastic win. I can't wait til the know it alls talk about how the Nats beat up on the slum dog millionaires. 18 back and climbing...well...

Posted by: cokedispatch | June 18, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I know you guys are happy. But geez you're hypocrites. You hate em when their down and love em when they win. Be consistent.

Posted by: natsguy | June 18, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

He's likely forgotten the little people who knew him when, bigmook.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@bigmook: Steady defense is critical to a young pitching staff, and pitchers working at a good pace & throwing strikes is critical to a defense; The two go hand-in-hand.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

When we can't score 5+ runs a game, defense makes a huge difference. Not to mention the impact Dunn has AS A DH for a team -- AL teams, you listening? He is such a liability in LF, but as Manny says, if you want a 40/100 guy in your line-up, you gotta play him!

Posted by: mo_dc | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

You got it, Bigmook! Just no drinking and driving.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | June 18, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

natsfanfa1: Maybe he is posting over on Ray Knight's blog as we 'speak'.

After all, I have to assume after Ray's mention of Brue last night - that maybe he and Ray have become 'tight'.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

He's likely forgotten the little people who knew him when, bigmook.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM
---------------------
Ladies & Gents, there's our POD! (referencing Brue).

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

jdschulz50: Thanks for the generosity and your concern for my well-being.

Next time the drinks are on me.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

He's likely forgotten the little people who knew him when, bigmook.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 10:15 PM
---------------------
Ladies & Gents, there's our POD! (referencing Brue).

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I second that, BinM, great stuff!

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

On a non-baseball aside, just caught on the ESPN crawler that Ovechkin got his second-straight Hart trophy this year. Right on Alex!

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

@BinM: Steady defense is critical to a young pitching staff, and pitchers working at a good pace & throwing strikes is critical to a defense; The two go hand-in-hand.

Agreed, nothing rattles a young pitcher more than to have thrown a good pitch that results in what should be a groundout or flyout, only to have the fielder blow it. With steady, good defense - the rookie hurlers start to build confidence that they can throw strikes - challenge the hitters and be backed up by the D-fense. As much as Corey Paterson frustrates me when he is at bat, he really is the only true CF we have on the big club right now. We need to keep playing him in Centerfield and Elijah is RF where he is most comfortable. I know Kerns was in Right tonite - but lets get Dukes back in there tomorrow night - we can use his stick.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Now, if we just could find a way to give JayBeee & dovelevine their "15 minutes of fame", maybe they'd quiet down as well...

On second thought, no:, they'd always find something else to get their undies in a bunch about. Besides, it's sometimes enjoyable to go Point / Counter-point with them in here.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey BinM it's not so much my age as it's I like Turner Classic Movies channel and baseball themed movies

Posted by: CBinDC | June 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

That's one thing I LOVED about these past three games, Martis, Lannan and Stammen all threw at a very quick pace, and didn't appear to get phased by the Yankee batters calling time to throw off their rhythm. It was great to see such confidence in such a young staff, especially in the hostile confines of Yankee stadium, where one's every mistake is roundly cheered by everyone there.

Posted by: HotNats | June 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

FYI, new post (or maybe I am the last one to notice).

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I said it in an earlier post....and I'll say it again:

I absolutely LOVE the present Nat's rookie rotation. If we can just get some major league defense, we'll soon be in the World Series by 2011.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | June 18, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

@bigmook: No argument from me re: defensive setup. Patterson is a "natural" CF, he just can't hit his weight. If Acta wants a stable OF in NL-rules play, go with Dunn / Patterson / Dukes, Willingham / Patterson / Dukes, or Dunn / Patterson / Willingham. Kearns could be a late-inning replacement in either corner; Harris could start or sub in LF or CF against select RHSP. It's just that Patterson shouldn't bat above 8th unless he goes on a hitting streak, and Kearns shouldn't be allowed to the plate until he gets some confidence back.

The Nationals' might also want to play around with the idea of AGonz in CF for 2010; Good speed, breaks well in either direction; Just needs some time to learn how to read fly balls & line drives off-the-bat (ST 2010, maybe?) - I see him as the next utility player on the team.

Posted by: BinM | June 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

@BinM: You read my mind. I too was thinking about the Nats trying Gonzo in CF. He has been hitting well lately, sometimes when no-one else does. And you nailed it about Kearns - he needs Eckstein or someone to work with him to get his confidence back. I think his biggest problem at the plate right now is mental. If we keep Patterson up in the Majors - maybe Eck can work with him also to regain his confidence - and re-teach him to "go with pitch", something so simple - yet so often forgotten by hitter; even in the big league.

Posted by: bigmook | June 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse