Today's Lineups (*)

(*) subject to an actual game being played.

It's still pouring. The Nats, hunkered down in the visiting clubhouse, are going about their business under the presumption that this thing will start around 2:30 p.m. or 3. If at all.

Washington

Swisher - 9
Matsui - DH
Cervelli - 2
Pena - 6
(P: Chamberlain)

By Chico Harlan  |  June 18, 2009; 12:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Wet Thursday
Next: Getting Lucky -- For Once

Comments

sweet itll be just like a home game!

Posted by: sect104 | June 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

when is axta going to realize that belliard has no actual or intrinsic value to this team? last night, maybe he wasn't paying attention to how well his defenders played and decided to start the short right fielder today. belliard almost makes me miss jose vidro in the field...almost.

Posted by: surly_w | June 18, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Will this be the last lineup Acta puts together? He should be fired just for this lineup - 5 through 9 is just laughable for a major league team. Kearns FIFTH? Come on, Manny...

Posted by: BGinVA | June 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"Just past the diving Vidro..."

Posted by: Section506 | June 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Kearns at 5! Egads. I think I'll hope the rain continues with this lineup.

Posted by: hoo93 | June 18, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@506

Q: What were the five magic words of the 2005 and 2006 seasons?

Posted by: surly_w | June 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Kearns fifth? Seriously? Is Dukes hurt?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"I'll take inept Nationals infielders for $800, 506"

Posted by: Section505203 | June 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

KEARNS?!?!?!?! god, just get rid of him

Posted by: artvandelay2 | June 18, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for a rain-out so we can come back in October and knock them out of the playoffs.

Posted by: joebleux | June 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing he's treating this as a rest day for Hernandez and Dukes. Of course, I'd rather have AGonz in there instead of Belly.

And maybe put Dunn in RF and have Martis be the DH? He's hitting better than Kearns is at the moment.

Posted by: erocks33 | June 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

New post. What else does Harlan have to do while watching it rain?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

With Willingham on Bereavement, the Nats can't afford to NOT have Dukes in the lineup - unless he's hurt.

Otherwise, just another bad Manny lineup.

Posted by: comish4lif | June 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I am usually a Manny defender but this lineup strains my abilities.

Posted by: Section109 | June 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we won last night!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | June 18, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that was sweet! See you in the new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 18, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

My wife just got off the plane at LaGuardia and said it is pouring and she doubts they will play today but what does she know,anyway who filled out the Nats lineup card? Joe Girardi, Kearns in the five whole what da hell's goin on round here, Stammen must be thinking "hey give me a chance".

Posted by: dargregmag | June 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I say the Nats trade Balliard for a quality spell checker. I honestly don't mind keeping Kearns on the team - I've won several bets while watching the game w/ my buds on the proposition that he'll hit into an inning ending double play with a man in scoring position.

Posted by: DMV4LIFE | June 18, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I liked the defensive team last night with Harris, Patterson, and Dukes in the outfield.

Patterson's time up will be short-lived, even though he is the only true CF on the team. He will struggle to hit .100 because he swings at anything low. Bounce it in front of the plate and he will still swing.

Posted by: SonicBlues | June 18, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the other posts.

Kearns batting 5th??? Even if Dukes is unavailable, and you must play Kearns, why 5th? He has homerun power, but it's been very difficult for him since he can't seem to actually hit the ball out of the infield.

If for nothing else, and there is soo much else, Manny has to go for his overuse of Kearns.

Personally I like Manny and he might be a good manager some day, but I don't think it will be some day soon. He needs his time, to sit at home and think about why he was fired.

Posted by: anyone1 | June 18, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse